• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JayUp88

Datsyuk up for an ESPY

Rate this topic

to bad they dont have an award for team that got luckest/are on gary bettmans dick. i think the pens have that wrapped up.

o yea one more thing. speak english or get the f*** out of our country.

alexinaweofyourstupidbysamdeanfetis.jpg

Seriously dude. You can't even spell and you're lecturing people on how to speak? Please tell me you're trying to be ironic.

And here, we have a moron. Look closely and take notes, so you don't end up like it!

He wasn't a full blown moron until the last part of his post.

In a 7 game series that went all the way down to the wire in which one team had their top defenseman in recovery from testicular surgery, #2 defenseman with a ruptured disk in his back and a separated shoulder, #5 defenseman in recovery from appendicitis surgery, 2nd best PK defenseman out with a serious concussion, best offensive forward with a severely fractured foot and an even more serious charley horse, and 2nd best net front presence with a double groin tear, then, yeah, their opponent got luckier than most. Every team has their normal list of injuries, sore this, sore that, but appendicitis? ********? That's some of the worst luck I've ever seen.

alexinaweofyourstupidbysamdeanfetis.jpg

Seriously dude. You can't even spell and you're lecturing people on how to speak? Please tell me you're trying to be ironic.

No no no... Not ironic. Ironical. Haha.

And the Jesus one would probably suit him better seeing as how I'm guessing he probably uses Christianity to hate others.

And the Jesus one would probably suit him better seeing as how I'm guessing he probably uses Christianity to hate others.

But the AO one is new and shiny. :lol:

Ahhh, alright, here's Jesus...

epicfacepalm.jpg

Goodbye Pavel Datsyuk. Goodbye Tomas Holmström. Goodbye Native Americans. Goodbye people who do jobs that aren't much fun, but I'm sure you would be happy to do them instead! Immigrants have no place in the U.S. It's not like it was founded by them.

i'd be willing to bet your ancestors were as well. that is, unless you're native american.

Well they emigrated there too. Just a very long time ago.

to bad they dont have an award for team that got luckest/are on gary bettmans dick. i think the pens have that wrapped up.

Je ne parle pas anglais.

I presume you speak Cherokee, Cree, Iroquois or Navajo, then? They were here first.

Pav: "Tried to be... more physical ozone..."

SJ: "ENGLISH motherf***er, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!!"

Yes, and Pavs uses his weird Jedi/ninja mind powers to throw SLJ off the stage. :P

i'd be willing to bet your ancestors were as well. that is, unless you're native american.

p.s. the guy in your avatar, whom you also pay tribute to with your member name, is also an immigrant.

I don't have the first thing against immigrants. Since you obviously didn't read my original post in this thread before posting that ridiculous response, I'll post it again:

"That's a question that every English-speaking, American-born person asks every day. The illegal immigrants, however, think it's great. That way they don't have to actually learn the national language of the U.S. "

I'm against illegal immigrants and those who choose not to learn the native language of the U.S. and expect the rest of us to learn Spanish. For the record, I am part Cherokee, Irish, and German, and yes, I speak English fluently. So I, like most everybody else and their ancestors, conformed. God forbid I wonder "WTF?" when I see or hear options in Spanish.

Anyway, back to the original thread. I voted for Datsyuk to get that ESPY.

I don't have the first thing against immigrants. Since you obviously didn't read my original post in this thread before posting that ridiculous response, I'll post it again:

"That's a question that every English-speaking, American-born person asks every day. The illegal immigrants, however, think it's great. That way they don't have to actually learn the national language of the U.S. "

I'm against illegal immigrants and those who choose not to learn the native language of the U.S. and expect the rest of us to learn Spanish. For the record, I am part Cherokee, Irish, and German, and yes, I speak English fluently. So I, like most everybody else and their ancestors, conformed. God forbid I wonder "WTF?" when I see or hear options in Spanish.

Are you the kind of person who gets mad when people speak different languages in public places?

Also, read this line again.

I wonder "WTF?" when I see or hear options in Spanish.

It's an OPTION. You don't need to see it, hear it, or understand it. However, someone who may have come to this country from somewhere else might not have perfect English and might not be so fluent in it. They still have a right to do whatever they want, including voting for a athlete to receive a reward and this completely optional option makes it easier for them to do that.

It has been my experience that those who are threatened or seem offended by non English speaking people in the US are low class poorly educated and low culture and/or recently descended from low class/poorly educated low culture parents and have an irrational fear of losing their jobs to hard working immigrants. So, a description of both parties actually rhymes. On one side we have immigrants, on the other ignorants.

The United States does not now, nor has it ever had, a national language.

To be fair, the anti-immigration lobby is more defined by class than religion. Unions and working class people are the ones who are most ant-immigrant, not any particular religious estbalishment.

Oddly enough, I often take breaks by myself since I only speak English and others on my shift are talking together and I can't understand them. There are several different languages spoken there, none of which is Spanish.

If we are going to make allowances for one group, why not for everyone? That's what my co-workers who spend a lot of time and effort learning English are annoyed about. English is difficult to learn later in life (ask Datsyuk), yet a lot of the people I work with are busting their butts to learn it so they can fit in better and get through life here more easily.

I've heard that Spanish-speaking people lack the ability or drive, but I don't believe that for a minute. Most people I know of Hispanic descent speak English quite well (some better than others) and I have yet to meet one that makes me believe that they need some sort of special consideration to survive. I find it insulting to them that people think they can't learn.

that wasn't the post of yours i quoted, so your defense of that post makes little sense. not that i'd expect otherwise.

why do you care if others speak spanish? there are english speaking americans populating the whole world who don't bother to learn the languages of their new residences. what do you care? the united states is a country composed of every people/culture the world has to offer. it is something that makes this country special. it is something that makes this country unique. there are many pockets in this country where foreigners congregate together into their own little communities. this makes speaking english unnecessary. does this affect you? are you sincerely pissed off because a lot of people in chicago's china town only speak mandarin?

that said, it is typically only the first generation immigrants/ illegal immigrants speaking only their native tongues. second generation citizens almost always learn english along with the language their parents speak. this is because it's very difficult to learn a language as an adult. especially when there are more pressing concerns (e.g. making sure your kids don't starve/have a place to sleep). i'm sure you have an american flag flying high in your backyard and consider yourself a patriot, but you fail to realize that this melding of cultures is one of the things about this country that is great.

btw, if you really like english so much, you might want to book passage to the u.k., because spanish will be more prevalently spoken here within 20 years. then people are going to look at you and say, "why the hell doesn't that joker speak spanish! get the hell out of our country!"

* i had a great great german grandmother who came over to this country and only spoke german for the rest of her life. it wouldn't surprise me if some of your german ancestors did likewise. such instances throughout this country's history aren't as uncommon as you seem to think. without my great great german grandmother, and your german ancestors, you and i wouldn't be here.

Edited by datsyukismyfriend

Oddly enough, I often take breaks by myself since I only speak English and others on my shift are talking together and I can't understand them. There are several different languages spoken there, none of which is Spanish.

when i lived in chicago, i worked in one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the country (devon street, if you've heard of it). i worked with plenty of people who spoke english very poorly and understandably gathered with others speaking a language with which they were more comfortable. i looked at it as a wonderful opportunity to learn about cultures i wasn't familiar with. it can be exciting to take advantage of situations where you can learn first hand about other cultures. i guess it's all in how you look at it.

when i lived in chicago, i worked in one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the country (devon street, if you've heard of it). i worked with plenty of people who spoke english very poorly and understandably gathered with others speaking a language with which they were more comfortable. i looked at it as a wonderful opportunity to learn about cultures i wasn't familiar with. it can be exciting to take advantage of situations where you can learn first hand about other cultures. i guess it's all in how you look at it.

I get that opportunity when I'm one-on-one with them. I've made some great friends and learned a lot about different countries and cultures. What I meant by the above is that I don't care if others are speaking other languages around me. There are just too many languages to learn them all. We stagger breaks, so I go with different people on different days. Sometimes it's English speakers, sometimes not. If it's not, then I just hang out on my own.

If people want to speak their own languages, that's fine.

On the other hand, when I'm at my weekend job, it's necessary for me to understand people. I can read a bit of Spanish, but I don't understand it at all. I don't speak Farzi, Arabic, Sudani, Somalian, Vietnamese, or any of the other languages my customers speak, nor is it possible for me to learn them all.

Keeping culture and language is great, and it's like having a world reference library surrounding you. But if we are going to function as a society, we need to communicate. I have been screamed at in many languages because I didn't speak their language and they didn't know English. I give it my best shot, but when someone comes in and out of the blue says "Fuggeez" with no explanation, and just keeps saying that one word over and over, banging on the counter for effect, I need an interpreter.

BTW, he was asking directions to Fergas Falls, MN.

Edited by 55fan

that wasn't the post of yours i quoted, so your defense of that post makes little sense. not that i'd expect otherwise.

why do you care if others speak spanish? there are english speaking americans populating the whole world who don't bother to learn the languages of their new residences. what do you care? the united states is a country composed of every people/culture the world has to offer. it is something that makes this country special. it is something that makes this country unique. there are many pockets in this country where foreigners congregate together into their own little communities. this makes speaking english unnecessary. does this affect you? are you sincerely pissed off because a lot of people in chicago's china town only speak mandarin?

that said, it is typically only the first generation immigrants/ illegal immigrants speaking only their native tongues. second generation citizens almost always learn english along with the language their parents speak. this is because it's very difficult to learn a language as an adult. especially when there are more pressing concerns (e.g. making sure your kids don't starve/have a place to sleep). i'm sure you have an american flag flying high in your backyard and consider yourself a patriot, but you fail to realize that this melding of cultures is one of the things about this country that is great.

btw, if you really like english so much, you might want to book passage to the u.k., because spanish will be more prevalently spoken here within 20 years. then people are going to look at you and say, "why the hell doesn't that joker speak spanish! get the hell out of our country!"

* i had a great great german grandmother who came over to this country and only spoke german for the rest of her life. it wouldn't surprise me if some of your german ancestors did likewise. such instances throughout this country's history aren't as uncommon as you seem to think. without my great great german grandmother, and your german ancestors, you and i wouldn't be here.

I'm well aware of our ancestry and how that makes the U.S. a great country. We are a melting pot of humanity which has worked well together, for the most part. I'm 4th generation American, so I get it.

I live in DC where illegals as well as legal immigrants make up a large and valuable workforce ... that also leeches off of our healthcare system and typically doesn't have insurance when they crash into your car (from personal experience). If it doesn't bother you, then you either don't pay taxes or don't buy healthcare. My healthcare each month is ridiculous. I also find it ironic when I see the protests for rights for illegal immigrants. It baffles me. You want rights? Then come into America legally like you're supposed to. Are they special? No. None of us are, or should be.

I'm also well-educated despite what the other poster thought of my "ignorant" background. I've been all over the world (46 countries) in the U.S. Navy and personal travel. Before that I lived in Taif, Saudi Arabia, for three years when my father worked for McDonnell Douglas. I was required to learn Arabic and to read the Quran, although I'm not Muslim. I did so because it's their country and their rules for foreigners. When I visit other countries, I make an attempt to speak the primary language regardless of my length of stay. So please, do lecture me on "ignorance."

For the poster who said there is no national language, that's true enough. English is, however, the primary language. Precisely why the public school system doesn't require students to learn Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, or Mandarin in grade school. We do have the options to learn other languages, which I did both in high school and college. I chose German. In hindsight I should've chosen Spanish. I believe that if you're going to live in another country then, yes, you should learn the primary language of that country. I spent 3 months as a foreign exchange student in Schorndorf, GER, and I spoke the language. I also had to learn Arabic as I mentioned.

Every day I have 12 guys from El Salvador working for me. I work with a very nice lady from Honduras, a gentleman from Russia, another from Ukraine, and I work for two guys (the President and CEO of the company) who are from mainland China. All of them were born out of country yet somehow each and every one of them speaks English quite well. Too busy to learn English? I can buy that to a certain extent, but then how are you able to get by without eventually learning enough to become socialized? Eventually they all do, from what I've seen. But, I get what you're saying there. There's a learning curve and learning to speak any language takes time. Right on. As long as there's an attempt.

I've read that Hispanics will be the majority in 30 years. If the primary language becomes Spanish, I'm willing to learn it. I have been wanting to learn Spanish anyway, since my wife and her family are from Mexico. Her ancestors came here legally and are quite opposed to illegals coming over. I have a feeling both languages will be used or at the very least, Spanglish. Again, I'm not against speaking Spanish or any other language. Just those who choose not to fit in here by learning English. It's lazy. If they're trying, good on them.

Funny how I'm getting crucified for this topic. I never said speak English or get out. I said I wish they would learn the language, and that hearing prompts for Spanish irritates me in a country whose primary language is English. So why do YOU care if that bugs me? Why not have prompts in every other language so we don't leave anyone out? Why only cater to one minority?

I defended my country for 11 years knowing that it was to protect the freedoms of others who take them for granted. You're entitled to your opinion and so am I. Largely though, we actually agree on the subject of immigrants. People just seemed to get wrapped around the axle about one thing I wrote.

This is a factual statement based in reality which, sadly, makes WingsCaptain look like a ******* retard.

Precisely the type of person I fought to protect. Now THAT'S irony. If you have to resort to name-calling, then you have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation. Bravo.

~ Z

Edited by WingsCaptain

Has my beloved LGW been replaced by the Noam Chomsky message board on Linguistics?

BTW...

Both sides of this discussion on the English language have legitimate points. Anyone has the right to request that someone/some thing (webiste, publication, etc...) communicate in a different language. That "Someone/some thing" has the right to refuse that request without reason. It's called being FREE to do whatever the F@#* you want as long as you don't break any laws. Which makes you FREE to be pissed off that there are no laws against behavior/policies that you may disagree with. We're all basically free to piss each other off for no reason except to try and instill our beliefs.

Just as I am FREE to suggest we move back to discussing hockey...more specifically Dats being up for an ESPY.

I'm well aware of our ancestry and how that makes the U.S. a great country. We are a melting pot of humanity which has worked well together, for the most part. I'm 4th generation American, so I get it.

I live in DC where illegals as well as legal immigrants make up a large and valuable workforce ... that also leeches off of our healthcare system and typically doesn't have insurance when they crash into your car (from personal experience). If it doesn't bother you, then you either don't pay taxes or don't buy healthcare. My healthcare each month is ridiculous. I also find it ironic when I see the protests for rights for illegal immigrants. It baffles me. You want rights? Then come into America legally like you're supposed to. Are they special? No. None of us are, or should be.

I'm also well-educated despite what the other poster thought of my "ignorant" background. I've been all over the world (46 countries) in the U.S. Navy and personal travel. Before that I lived in Taif, Saudi Arabia, for three years when my father worked for McDonnell Douglas. I was required to learn Arabic and to read the Quran, although I'm not Muslim. I did so because it's their country and their rules for foreigners. When I visit other countries, I make an attempt to speak the primary language regardless of my length of stay. So please, do lecture me on "ignorance."

For the poster who said there is no national language, that's true enough. English is, however, the primary language. Precisely why the public school system doesn't require students to learn Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, or Mandarin in grade school. We do have the options to learn other languages, which I did both in high school and college. I chose German. In hindsight I should've chosen Spanish. I believe that if you're going to live in another country then, yes, you should learn the primary language of that country. I spent 3 months as a foreign exchange student in Schorndorf, GER, and I spoke the language. I also had to learn Arabic as I mentioned.

Every day I have 12 guys from El Salvador working for me. I work with a very nice lady from Honduras, a gentleman from Russia, another from Ukraine, and I work for two guys (the President and CEO of the company) who are from mainland China. All of them were born out of country yet somehow each and every one of them speaks English quite well. Too busy to learn English? I can buy that to a certain extent, but then how are you able to get by without eventually learning enough to become socialized? Eventually they all do, from what I've seen. But, I get what you're saying there. There's a learning curve and learning to speak any language takes time. Right on. As long as there's an attempt.

I've read that Hispanics will be the majority in 30 years. If the primary language becomes Spanish, I'm willing to learn it. I have been wanting to learn Spanish anyway, since my wife and her family are from Mexico. Her ancestors came here legally and are quite opposed to illegals coming over. I have a feeling both languages will be used or at the very least, Spanglish. Again, I'm not against speaking Spanish or any other language. Just those who choose not to fit in here by learning English. It's lazy. If they're trying, good on them.

Funny how I'm getting crucified for this topic. I never said speak English or get out. I said I wish they would learn the language, and that hearing prompts for Spanish irritates me in a country whose primary language is English. So why do YOU care if that bugs me? Why not have prompts in every other language so we don't leave anyone out? Why only cater to one minority?

I defended my country for 11 years knowing that it was to protect the freedoms of others who take them for granted. You're entitled to your opinion and so am I. Largely though, we actually agree on the subject of immigrants. People just seemed to get wrapped around the axle about one thing I wrote.

Precisely the type of person I fought to protect. Now THAT'S irony. If you have to resort to name-calling, then you have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation. Bravo.

~ Z

i can see that you're trying not to be combative and are discussing this civilly, so i'll do the same. i may have misinterpreted your intent in previous posts, for that i apologize.

however, i never mentioned healthcare or car insurance and said they weren't concerns of mine. i was only discussing foreigners speaking english. on that point we have different opinions. like i said, i feel that over time it equalizes anyhow. 2nd generation citizens almost always speak english. and i don't have any data to back me up, but i'd be willing to bet it's not all that different than it's ever been. people coming to this country, especially those fleeing political/religious/social persecution, may not know the language. many of them arrive in circumstances (i.e. living in communities comprised of people speaking their native tongues) where english isn't necessary. when english is necessary, they usually have people they can go to for help. if english isn't necessary, and they have more pressing concerns, learning english isn't going to be a priority. i'd bet, throughout history, 1st generation americans were much the same as they are today (many speaking little to no english). in fact, i wouldn't be surprised if it was more so in some cases as nationalism was often more prevalent in the past that it is today. as we've become globalized, also, much of the world already speaks english well, or has at least a grasp of it.

anyway, at this point i'm rambling. we have different opinions and they aren't likely to change.