• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Who will man the right point on the second PP unit

Rate this topic

Who man's the right point of 2nd PP unit  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stuart, Ericsson, someone else? I prefer a defenseman. We all know of Babcock's preference for a righty, but I don't think they have anyone who would fit. Any thought?

Edited by CenterIce

I just did a quick peek because the only Wing I could think of who is a righty other than Raffi is Maltby. According to the Wings site, those are the only two. I know some of they guys are actually right-handed, but shoot left.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that we will either sign a right-handed player (as in a guy who happens to be right-handed, not that we're going shopping for one) or that Babs will play a lefty. I don't see Malts on the PP. <--You heard that here first.

My guess would be that they try Ericsson. Stuie is a possibility as well. I doubt they'll go for another forward just because he's a righty unless we sign someone who does it really well.

Probably both Stuart and Erricson will both get a shot babcock will swap them in and out use different guys when he feels the one has a better fit over the other, maybe even Lebda might see some PP time.

I would take a fair guess saying they would rotate Stuart and Big E. Stewie has the NHL PP experience while the Rig has recently QB'd the PP in GR. They both have one H of a shot.

It may actually come down to who can do a better job at keeping the puck in the zone. That used to drive me nuts when Sammy was back there and just aboot everytime the D would clear it to his side it was guaranteed to get past him.

Of course no one does as good a job as Lids.

Jason Williams :tomato::blush:

I don't really want him back, but I could see the Wings doing that just to have the right hand shot on the power play. Also, he knows the system. I wonder how much the Hudler contract limbo puts the brakes on any Wings' signings.

Edited by CenterIce

Ericsson is listed as shooting lefty, and he does on NHL09, but I could have sworn he shoots righty, can anyone else corroborate?

I'd like to see him on the point on the 2nd PP unit, though. He has a cannon when he gets time to shoot, perfect for power-play situations. Also wouldn't mind seeing Stuart play some too, he is very accurate from what i've seen.

Guest mindfly

How can you not know which players on your team shoots left or right? lol

You might be blind and only able to listen to the games.

Or you may have such bad reception that you can't tell when they're shooting backhanded. Trust me, I've had that bad reception with free tv.

Samuelsson.

Williams.

Kotalik.

Now Maltby? I love it.

It HAS to be a forward, right-handed shot, and he HAS to be a player that drives everyone crazy.

OK, I'm probably going to get loads of crap from left-handed hockey players out there, but I have a question for you.

I'm left-handed. I do a lot of things right-handed, such as using power tools, because they are set up to be used right-handed. With things like scissors and knives, I can just switch back and forth between the two without thinking about it.

So I am wondering how hard it would be for one of the left shooters who is right-handed in real life (as in outside of hockey) to switch to shooting right-handed. He'd have to bend his sticks the other way, of course. He would probably need some practice. Would it be harder than it sounds if he was pretty much right-handed to begin with? He'd have a killer backhand.

Just wondering. I'm thinking Ericsson for the PP, so this is really just a hypothetical question.

Stuart, Ericsson, someone else? I prefer a defenseman. We all know of Babcock's preference for a righty, but I don't think they have anyone who would fit. Any thought?

Yeah, Sammy, Rafalski and Maltby are the only righties we had. That's probably why this year's draft was so right hander heavy for the Wings.

Unless Holland picks a right handed offensive forward up in the UFA market my bets are on Ericsson seeing time on the point, with Stuart getting time in there as well if Ericsson doesn't produce early.

Ericsson's got a 100mph slapshot and the Wings are keen to maximize the amount of time he gets each night, so I expect he'll see PP and PK time every night along with his third pairing minuites. Babcock like him on the PK in the playoffs, so it seems likely he'll either pair up with Nick on the top pk, or Stuart will pair with Nick and Ericsson will end up with Kroner on the second pk.

So I am wondering how hard it would be for one of the left shooters who is right-handed in real life (as in outside of hockey) to switch to shooting right-handed.

Sounds like a job for Super Man I mean Lidstrom!

It's probably going to be Stuart. He'll probably get a chance as well as Ericsson to play on the 2nd PP Unit. By the way- Malbty isn't going to see a lick of time next year on the Power Play.

Edited by Scotty

Guest mindfly
OK, I'm probably going to get loads of crap from left-handed hockey players out there, but I have a question for you.

I'm left-handed. I do a lot of things right-handed, such as using power tools, because they are set up to be used right-handed. With things like scissors and knives, I can just switch back and forth between the two without thinking about it.

So I am wondering how hard it would be for one of the left shooters who is right-handed in real life (as in outside of hockey) to switch to shooting right-handed. He'd have to bend his sticks the other way, of course. He would probably need some practice. Would it be harder than it sounds if he was pretty much right-handed to begin with? He'd have a killer backhand.

Just wondering. I'm thinking Ericsson for the PP, so this is really just a hypothetical question.

I can answer to that, it's extremely difficult, either you're left or right shooter, you can't be in between there's always one way thats ALOT more comfortable... so you can just dream about ericsson with a right hand shot :P

Samuelsson.

Williams.

Kotalik.

Now Maltby? I love it.

It HAS to be a forward, right-handed shot, and he HAS to be a player that drives everyone crazy.

LOL who cares, it isn't sammy! You could put Jimmy Howard out their and he would be more affective from the point then Sammy.

No one said Maltby would be on the PP. He was mentioned twice, both times it was to indicate he was the only remaining right hand shot other than Rafalski. In both cases it was abundantly clear the poster did not think Maltby would be on the PP- they were clearly indicating that he was the only remaining right handed forward, that's all.

I know which of our regular players shoot from which side, which is why I'm fuzzy on Ericsson. I seem to remember one of the Red Wings announcers mentioning that because of him being a right-handed shot, he could be used on the point because of our lack of right handed shooters. But like I said, he is listed as a lefty, so I was asking for confirmation.

Edit: I just looked upa Youtube video of his GWG against Columbus, and he does shoot lefty, so nevermind, I must have been mistaken.

I still would like to see him and his gun on the PP next year.

Edited by bonan78

Here's the reason why there is suddenly a ton of left handed shots in the NHL:

Traditionally the dominant hand was used on the lower half of the stick-- this was done to maximize shot power. Because the majority of the public is right handed this meant most NHL players shot from the right.

In Europe, players started using their dominant hand at the top of the stick-- this was to maximize their stick-handling and control. This meant that the people who wrote with their right hand would have their left hand lowest on the stick and thus would be using a left handed stick. Over time this practice became popular in the NHL since stick-handling and control is more important than power 9 times out of 10.

So there you go- now most players are shooting left even though they write with their right hand.

Stick handling and shooting is such a long term developed skill I just don't see switching hands as something an NHL player could do without extensive retraining.

Edit: (Torry) Spelling

Edited by Drake_Marcus

It all depends how you grow up playing hockey, if you are more comfortable with a right handed shot or left. I am also left handed and shoot right in hockey, but when I was young and first started playing, I had to use a straight stick because I couldn't make up my mind about which way was more comfortable. After a year or two I decided I was a right handed shot. I can also use scissors and a knife with both hands. If you are asking how hard it would be for a left shot to switch to a right shot, then it would be very difficult and take a long time to get used to.

It is actually more comfortable for me to use a knife with my right hand, and I can just leave my fork in my left as usual, it makes for more efficient eating when you can cut and maneuver a fork at the same time!

Jeremy Williams shoots right and has a wicked shot.

I'd still rather have Stuart and Ericsson, but hopefully Jason Williams will not be signed just so Babcock can have a right-handed shot on the point, when we already have a soft Williams of our own.