• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
servo

Holmstrom speculates that this is his last season

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
I'm sure he'd love to. His back, on the other hand, has a different idea about this.

It's not his back, it's his knees, that he currenctly trains and tries to strengthen up with special exercises during the summer, he said he only feel pain in the morning now.

I still believe Holmstrom is quite effective when he is healthy. I think goaltenders fear his presence. He makes the goaltenders job more difficult for sure. I don't believe he was healthy all year. I think he was injured early on, and his ability to be consistent night in night out was hindered for sure.

I love how all the naysayers come out of the woodwork, after an injury filled season. They talk s***, and say good riddance, thank god!

I agree.

Edited by Hockeymom1960

I certainly think that they need to drop him down to the 3rd line so he plays less minutes and doesn't get as much punishment.

He won't do well there. He needs to be with the first liners to get the garbage goals and redirects. The third liners don't control the puck enough for Holmstrom to do his thing, and Holmstrom (offensively) doesn't really have any other tricks than standing in front of the net and getting his nuts chopped off.

I'm a huge Holmstrom fan, but I don't think he even comes close to deserving retirement, not even remotely close.

Tough standard. If I had to guess, I'd say that Zetterberg and Datsyuk probably won't even get their numbers retired as Red Wings. I know it sounds crazy, but that's just how insanely tough it is.

Tough standard. If I had to guess, I'd say that Zetterberg and Datsyuk probably won't even get their numbers retired as Red Wings. I know it sounds crazy, but that's just how insanely tough it is.

Agreed. They're good, but not retirement good. The only Wings that I think are retirement worthy from my era of watching hockey (1995 and on) are Yzerman and Lidstrom, period. No Fedorov, no Datsyuk, no Draper, no McCarty, no Zetterberg, and no Osgood (although Ozzie would probably be my third pick if I HAD to pick someone).

Guest micah
Agreed. They're good, but not retirement good. The only Wings that I think are retirement worthy from my era of watching hockey (1995 and on) are Yzerman and Lidstrom, period. No Fedorov, no Datsyuk, no Draper, no McCarty, no Zetterberg, and no Osgood (although Ozzie would probably be my third pick if I HAD to pick someone).

Yup.

He won't do well there. He needs to be with the first liners to get the garbage goals and redirects. The third liners don't control the puck enough for Holmstrom to do his thing, and Holmstrom (offensively) doesn't really have any other tricks than standing in front of the net and getting his nuts chopped off.

Except, he's never really been a first liner until Babcock put him there. And whilst of course the 3rd line won't generate as much offense as the 1st, the fact is that that Babcock encourages demands that every line shoots, shoots and then shoots some more, and likes every line to have 1 player go straight to the net, whether that be Cleary, Franzen, Kopecky, whoever.

The other issue re: Homer's "effectiveness" is how the refs call things next year. It seemed like too often when he was in front of the goalie, the refs used the mantra "When in doubt, throw him out." I'm not saying it's all the refs' fault. What I am saying is that when you're constantly trying to figure out what's a penalty and what isn't, you're not going to be able to concentrate on doing your job.

I agree with you, however Zetterberg and Datsyuk's story are still being written. Albeit unlikely at this point.

It seems like yesterday that I was stressing out about possibly losing Dino to retirement and my buddy was talking about this guy who could park in the crease like no one else. Can't believe that was almost 15 years ago!!!

Edited by servo

I could see him retiring after this year. That's a tough job to be doing in your later 30's, when you've been doing it for years already. And amazing how so many people right players off after one bad year where a guy misses 30 games with injuries and was probably never 100%. He can still be effective. Not many guys are as good at screening as he is.

I agree with you, however Zetterberg and Datsyuk's story are still being written. Albeit unlikely at this point.

It seems like yesterday that I was stressing out about possibly losing Dino to retirement and my buddy was talking about this guy who could park in the crease like no one else. Can't believe that was almost 15 years ago!!!

Honestly...thinking about this the last couple of days has kinda blown my mind. It's weird thinking about the mid-90's now. I remembered Game 1 against the Av's in '96. The beginning of the end of that era occurred when Coffey put the puck in our net and we lost game 1. It feels like yesterday but we're talking 13 years now since then.

Gotta give 'em a few more years, I think, to see what they can do. But I agree - the standard should be tip-top, and I love Homer to death and he's been a great example of a dedicated Red Wing, but no way should his number be retired. No-brainer there.

I still believe Holmstrom is quite effective when he is healthy. I think goaltenders fear his presence. He makes the goaltenders job more difficult for sure. I don't believe he was healthy all year. I think he was injured early on, and his ability to be consistent night in night out was hindered for sure.

I love how all the naysayers come out of the woodwork, after an injury filled season. They talk s***, and say good riddance, thank god!

x2.

I see his crease position as a 3 fold benefit: the obvious goalie distraction which in itself is huge, and also that opens up a heck of a lotta ice for D & Z to manuever around on. Lastly, it adds to depth because someone who has more all round hockey skills than he, can be placed lower on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Holmer has been a very valueable Red Wing.

Edited by T.Low

Gotta give 'em a few more years, I think, to see what they can do. But I agree - the standard should be tip-top, and I love Homer to death and he's been a great example of a dedicated Red Wing, but no way should his number be retired. No-brainer there.

Stevie and Nick have the stats to back it up. Not to mention the individual trophies.

I don't think Pav and Z will have the stats, which already puts them at a disadvantage. However, if they simply go on the standard of "How much did this player mean to the organization during their Stanley Cup wins?" then they still have an outside chance. First of all, both have to be a part of at least two more cup wins and either one of them will have to be the MVP. That's very, very hard to do. But if that were to happen along with more lady byngs and one or two more selke's for Pav, maybe even a Hart, along with correcting the abomination that Zetterberg does not have a selke yet, then yes, they still have an outside chance, but a lot has to go right in order for that happen.

At this point, they were drafted by the organization, they grew up within the organization. I think it's safe to say that after they are done playing that the organization will at least hold out their numbers the way they do for some others including surprisingly, as of this day, Sergei Fedorov.

I see his crease position as a 3 fold benefit: the obvious goalie distraction which in itself is huge, and also that opens up a heck of a lotta ice for D & Z to manuever around on. Lastly, it adds to depth because someone who has more all round hockey skills than he, can be placed lower on the 2nd or 3rd line.

^ This

x2.

Nice!

I think Homer is a key part of this offense. Although he has has great succes and probably been a goalies least favorite person, this season will determine it all. If he performs, he will come back. If he gets hurt or doesn't perform, he will retire.

I just hope he plays well this season and stays as long as possible.

At this point, they were drafted by the organization, they grew up within the organization. I think it's safe to say that after they are done playing that the organization will at least hold out their numbers the way they do for some others including surprisingly, as of this day, Sergei Fedorov.

Is Fedorov's number held out, or has nobody just asked for 91? I don't think we've had any players come here recently who've worn 91 before.

Is Fedorov's number held out, or has nobody just asked for 91? I don't think we've had any players come here recently who've worn 91 before.

Both I think. Unless they trade for Brad Richards or someone and he really asks for it, I think they'd like to hold it.

Ahhh, but what about if we sign a player (Mike Peca for examle) who is currently wearing #19? That would be interesting, although, hockey players do have tons of respects for one another ( :blink: ok, some do) and I would imagine Peca would either phone Fedorov or chose a differnet number. I remember when Chelios was first traded here, he asked Probie if he could wear #24, since nobody has worn it since, and probably won't again. Even when we traded for the "Great" Bernie Federko, who's #24 is retired in St. Louis, wore #42, saying that there is only 1 #24 in Detroit, and he could not fill his skates...

It wouldn't shock me given his playing style and how banged up he's been the past 2 seasons. He's always been one of my favorite players because he always busts his rear end off and isn't one of the more talented guys in terms of skating/pretty stuff, etc. but he's almost always been able to produce still, overall in his career. Holmstrom's time is definitely up soon IMO, but I hope it's not in this upcoming season.

this does not come as a surprise. i mentioned it in another thread a little while ago, but he just looks tired, all the time. after every scrum, he just looks weary and a little bit depressed, as if to say, "for god's sake, does this have to happen after EVERY whistle??" he doesn't seem to be backing down, but doesn't have the strength to back it up any more.

i love homer, but i'll give him credit if he retires because he feels he can't contribute at the same level.

like others have said, i wouldn't be surprised / wouldn't mind if he signed a one-year, <$1mil contract after this season. let him play for 750,000 or so, just to see what happens, which, with nick signing for less as well, gives us cap space to upgrade WHILE giving homer another chance at glory, but not mattering too much if he's injured for a lot of the season, WHILE giving us capspace to keep our young guns.

of course i hate to see him go, but unfortunately, the man's not invincible, though he has taken and continues to take more abuse than 99% of hockey players.