• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

The "Flying V" Isn't Offside!

Rate this topic

Completely random moment. I'm bored out of my mind and see that the Mighty Ducks is on TV. So I figure I'd turn it on for a few minutes for old time's sake. Well, here comes the Flying V, the formation that popular wisdom and pop culture always jokes is offside.

I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed something so trivial, but it's actually not. At the very last second the puck is passed to the lead skater. We're talking split-last second.

Sorry about the random triviality but it's better than the endless name dropping around here lately. Summer gets slow.

Completely random moment. I'm bored out of my mind and see that the Mighty Ducks is on TV. So I figure I'd turn it on for a few minutes for old time's sake. Well, here comes the Flying V, the formation that popular wisdom and pop culture always jokes is offside.

I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed something so trivial, but it's actually not. At the very last second the puck is passed to the lead skater. We're talking split-last second.

Sorry about the random triviality but it's better than the endless name dropping around here lately. Summer gets slow.

Depends on the Refs, really. The playoff refs would probably deem it as offsides because it was going too fast for them. Then they'll allow them to skate with "too many men".

Depends on the Refs, really. The playoff refs would probably deem it as offsides because it was going too fast for them. Then they'll allow them to skate with "too many men".

Very good point. But regardless of the call, it's "technically" not offside.

It does, however, put the defenders ridiculously out of position, so that if there's a turnover and there's a winger ready the other team essentially gets a free breakaway. It's a complete desperation move, which makes me wonder why they'd pull it off in a tie game with 10 minutes to go :P

...yeah.... I noticed that the first time i saw it in regular speed. It was a clever play to play to pass the puck up... totally never at risk of being offsides other than by a blind as a bat NHL linesman.... Which means they would probably call it offsides everytime. BUT the way to get around it is have 6 skaters in it... they will never call it because they approve of too many men on the ice!

......and then go ahead and count the goal as good!

LOL!

Sorry-had to add!

Most quoted quote: "Get in the box ya big goon"

No the best quote was....

"Hey batter batter, hey batter batter, hey batter batter."

"Averman...this is hockey."

"Oh. Hummm goalie goalie goalie goalie. Hummmm goalie goalie goalie goalie"