• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manoir

Zherdev mentions Detroit as an option

Rate this topic

One of my Ranger friends sent me this link containing an interview that was conducted with Zherdev by a Russian newspaper. Here are the Detroit related segments as well as the link to the enitre interview

Are there any teams in the NHL that you dreamed of playing for as a child?

- Yes, I always liked Detroit.

- And could you be traded there?

- I wouldn’t exactly be against it!

- Czech forward Jiri Hudler of Detroit is planning to spend at least two seasons in the Kontinental league, and then return to the NHL. Should you not follow his example?

- It’s hard to say. By the way, when I saw the news that Jiri had signed a contract with Moscow Dynamo, I was very surprised. I even thought that something had not been translated correctly.

- Is it possible that a place for you was just opened in Detroit?

- (Laughs.) I don’t know, we’ll see.

http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2009/07...ion-date-looms/

I think anyone would say Detroit is an option...because every player knows they could win it any year. Who wouldn't want to play for a perennial winner?

I think that's part of it, but the Red Wings hold a special place for a lot of Russians. Even my wife, a Russian immigrant, who could give a flying flip about hockey, could name every player on the Russian 5 before I ever came on the scene. Same goes for her dad, her brother, her mother, etc... I'm sure those five folks have something to do with the fact that most Russian players would name Detroit as a possible destination.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Zherdev has always had great talent. He is only 24 too. I just can't see him getting along with Babcock. The work ethic is just not there. If we could get him for 2 mil then I'd take a chance on him. But seeing as he wants more than the 3.25 mil he made last season then FORGET IT! Please do not make me say I would rather have Hudler.

Seriously who wouldn't want to play for Detroit? I don't mean to toot their horn necessarily but they take seemingly everybody, whether you're an all-star or a castoff in his mid twenties looking for a second chance or an aged veteran of 15 years desperate for a cup. It's not like they only take hot shot franchise players. They appeal to everybody not just because they win but because they have an appreciation for the wide variety of roles that contribute to winning.

Why is it that whenever somebody says "Holland should offer him the same deal he offered Hudler", and "him" means almost anybody, somebody always posts "we dont have the cap space"? Obviously, Holland thought that when he made the Hudler offer, Hudler might actually accept it, right? I'm thinking perhaps Holland had other moves in mind at that time, (Don't you?) that if Hudler did accept, would still keep the wings under the cap, right? So, either Holland is an idiot (which somehow I doubt), or the people who keep posting this are. Someone please enlighten me.....I'm no "capologist".

No interest in Zherdev, soft and lazy.

Not going to completely argue the lazy sentiments, but if you had actually watched him the past year he was throwing hits and forechecking hard, which was uncharateristic of his time in Columbus. I wouldn't be surprised to see him kick that label if he came here.

Then again, I highly doubt this happens.