• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manoir

Zherdev mentions Detroit as an option

Rate this topic

I wouldn't mind him coming to Detroit, but realistically, I just don't see it getting done. Him and Dats would be freaking sweet.

Edited by Scotty

Why is it that whenever somebody says "Holland should offer him the same deal he offered Hudler", and "him" means almost anybody, somebody always posts "we dont have the cap space"? Obviously, Holland thought that when he made the Hudler offer, Hudler might actually accept it, right? I'm thinking perhaps Holland had other moves in mind at that time, (Don't you?) that if Hudler did accept, would still keep the wings under the cap, right? So, either Holland is an idiot (which somehow I doubt), or the people who keep posting this are. Someone please enlighten me.....I'm no "capologist".

Detroit made Hudler a qualifying offer (a mandatory10% raise) in order to keep his rights. If they didn't, Hudler would've become a UFA. Noone thought that Hudler's actual contract after arbitration/new deal would actually be that low, Holland included. Somewhere between 2.5-3.5 mil was expected . And the Wings only have 1.8 mil. in cap space, so to sign Hudler to realistic money some space would've needed to be cleared. Hence, anyone else signing for "Hudler money" presents the same problem: not enough cap space.

Detroit made Hudler a qualifying offer (a mandatory10% raise) in order to keep his rights. If they didn't, Hudler would've become a UFA. Noone thought that Hudler's actual contract after arbitration/new deal would actually be that low, Holland included. Somewhere between 2.5-3.5 mil was expected . And the Wings only have 1.8 mil. in cap space, so to sign Hudler to realistic money some space would've needed to be cleared. Hence, anyone else signing for "Hudler money" presents the same problem: not enough cap space.

Had Hudler accepted this offer, are you saying that the Wings wouldn't have been able to stay under the cap? Holland would have made it happen he or he wouldn't have made an offer at all. Thinking otherwise defies logic.

I'd totally want him on the Wings! he's finally reaching up to his potential and is working harder than ever. We would have to trade away a d-man, a prospect and pick to get him probaly though...and to make him fit into the cap.

Lilja and or Meech or Lebda or prospect with a 3rd or 4th rounder for Zherdev

Zherdev, Datsyuk, Cleary

Franzen, Zetterberg, Filppula

Maltby, Draper, Holmstrom

Abdelkader, Helm, Leino

Lidstrom, Rafalski

Stuart, Kronwall

Ericsson, Kindl

Osgood

Howard

looks good to me

Had Hudler accepted this offer, are you saying that the Wings wouldn't have been able to stay under the cap? Holland would have made it happen he or he wouldn't have made an offer at all. Thinking otherwise defies logic.

Holland has said that if Hossa and/or Hudler signed, he would have had to move players. So, there is no cap space. If they signed Zherdev, they would have to unload some contracts.

Holland has said that if Hossa and/or Hudler signed, he would have had to move players. So, there is no cap space. If they signed Zherdev, they would have to unload some contracts.

Just exactly what he would have done......and will do if and when they sign somebody.

Zherdev is NOT a Detroit type player. He seriously lacks on the defensive end of the ice. He would NEVER get along with Babcock. Detroit's lineup will eventually have ALL two way players..... now that Hudler is gone.... LOL. I think Zherdev is a MINUS 46 for his career.

Defense wins championships....

Edited by Icesurfer

Zherdev is NOT a Detroit type player. He seriously lacks on the defensive end of the ice. He would NEVER get along with Babcock. Detroit's lineup will eventually have ALL two way players..... now that Hudler is gone.... LOL. I think Zherdev is a MINUS 46 for his career.

Defense wins championships....

Unless you can't score TWO GOALS to put a series away...

Zherdev has ridiculous hands, goal scoring ability and he can pass the puck. He'd be the second best puck handler on the team right away.

Remaining cap space + Lebda + Meech for Zherdev?

Who wouldn't take that?

If Zherdev went to any other team in the league besides Columbus he would have been a star by now.

Those two players are like polar opposites.

Agreed, aside from the fact that they both can do better if they tried... I'm talking elite NHL forward status (if they tried).

Unless you can't score TWO GOALS to put a series away...

Zherdev has ridiculous hands, goal scoring ability and he can pass the puck. He'd be the second best puck handler on the team right away.

Remaining cap space + Lebda + Meech for Zherdev?

Who wouldn't take that?

If Zherdev went to any other team in the league besides Columbus he would have been a star by now.

The Rangers.

As well as being one of the most highly skilled players in the league, Zherdev is one of my favourite players in the league. I would absolutely LOVE to see him in Detroit. He's got the potential to be a 90+ point guy without a doubt.

I'd love to see Zherdev here. The trouble is the Wings would need to clear some cap space to make it happen -- but it looks like that's something they were willing to do had Hossa or Hudler stayed. I assume the top six would look something like this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Zherdev

Love that. I think Franzen would open up a lot of space for Zherdev to work and he'd thrive in a role where he's not the team's first (or even the second or third) scoring option.

I might be a bit biased because of this, but a friend and I went down to Columbus in December 2007 to see a Blue Jackets/Hurricanes game. Zherdev completely took over that game. He scored two beautiful end-to-end goals, assisted on another, and then passed to a teammate to put in the empty netter instead of taking the trick.

Found the box for that game: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2007122929

He's a great talent and I'd love to see him on our team. I know he has work ethic issues, but at 24 I think Detroit would be the perfect place for him to mature into a more complete player, especially with Datsyuk here to show him how it's done.

If we signed him at a reasonable price I'd be very happy.

The only problem with Zherdev is that hes already pulled the "Im going back to Russia card" on a couple occasions. The Wings seem to be avoiding all Russians at any cost after Datsyuk "held out" and Grigorenko pulled his antics.

Why is it that whenever somebody says "Holland should offer him the same deal he offered Hudler", and "him" means almost anybody, somebody always posts "we dont have the cap space"? Obviously, Holland thought that when he made the Hudler offer, Hudler might actually accept it, right? I'm thinking perhaps Holland had other moves in mind at that time, (Don't you?) that if Hudler did accept, would still keep the wings under the cap, right? So, either Holland is an idiot (which somehow I doubt), or the people who keep posting this are. Someone please enlighten me.....I'm no "capologist".

Don't even both trying :P I've posted at least 4 times the exact moves necessary to free up 3 million for Hudler (before the debacle with the KHL) and people like Iceprincess(sp?) still refused to believe it because it wasn't on capgeek.

The Wings can easily free up 3 million in cap space by simply signing a low cap hit player (lower than Abdelkader) for the 12th spot, keeping Meech as the spare part and trading or releasing Lilja. Of course that's one of a few different ways to do it.

Actually, the Wings offered him 3 million a year for 5 years. That was the last offer on the table before he signed with the KHL.

And the problem with cap space isn't actually a problem since Holland clearly anticipated the possibility that Hudler would sign the offered contract. :ph34r: