• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheDetroitRedWings

My theory on why Hudler is jumping ship

Rate this topic

Anyone else think this might have something to do with the fact that we have absolutely no protection for our superstars?? I remember countless occasions this season where Hudler was getting physically harassed after the whistle. You could tell he was trying to give it back a little, but obviously he's not the biggest guy around. If he had played for any (and I do mean any) other NHL team there would be gloves dropping within minutes.

I truly believe that is why Hudler decided to take this route. And if that is the case, I don't blame the guy. He's a shrimp. He needs some help. The only guys that tried were Datsyuk and Franzen. That's obviously ridiculous. And what's even more ridiculous is that Kirk Maltby holds a roster spot. He brings nothing to the table. 6-7 years ago I would always let it slide because he was still a good pk'er. But now he's completely worthless. So in my eyes there is no excuse to not have atleast one roster spot reserved for a guy that will make other players pay the price for messing with our stars and superstars.

Biggest reach in the world.. Why did Hudler leave? Because hes entering his prime, coming off a 60 point season playing third line minutes and was offered a five year deal worth fifteen million.

Its an insult.

Do I think Hudler is worth three million a season? No but chances are at least 15 teams in this league wouldn't mind paying him that price. Although, not many are that willing to give up a first rounder + to sign a guy.

When theres guys like Zherdev, Versteeg and Kessel on the RFA, thats why Hudler didn't get any offers.

The money is why he's jumping ship ..

Also I don't think he likes playing second fiddle to Filipula ..

Im sure not regularing playing in the top 6 had him a little sore ..

Babcock riding his ass 24/7 pry didnt help

$5 mil tax free > $3 before a s*** load of taxes

This + Ice Time = Hudler Gone...

He consistently outplayed Val Filppula during the regular season, I am not talking about the playoffs, the regular season, he was consistently outperforming him, and still was stuck with 3+ fewer minutes per game.

Plenty of ice time on top lines > Babcock hates you and doesn't give you enough minutes or enough time to gel with any one line

Exactly... he just needs to have consistent linemates... he never played on a top line this past year for more than a couple shifts at a time before he was moved to another line.

Uhhh no.

Hudler stated to the Czech press that he left for a combination of 5 reasons:

--> The Wings didn't have the cap room to make him an offer close enough to market value

--> He did not want to play for another NHL team. He only wanted to be a Wing.

--> The Russians offered him 10 million dollars US (tax free) on a 2 year deal.

--> He's young and feels he has another 13 years left and that his NHL career is just on hold, not over.

--> Russian girls are beautiful and unconcerned with height (don't tell his supermodel Czech girlfriend).

All this is corroborated by the following facts:

--> He filed for arbitration and told his agent he will complete the arbitration process to allow the Wings to keep his rights

--> He's moving to a country that, amazingly, has tax laws even friendlier to the rich.

--> Oh, and this:

russian-women.jpg

He consistently outplayed Val Filppula during the regular season, I am not talking about the playoffs, the regular season, he was consistently outperforming him, and still was stuck with 3+ fewer minutes per game.

To be fair to Hudler, he outplayed Filppula in the playoffs last year. So they're even. :P

$5 mil tax free > $3 before a s*** load of taxes

yup.

And as for playing time, some guys have roles and I think that was his role on this team. It's not like he wasn't being productive with those minutes. And it's not like the Wings top two lines weren't producing and needed him up there. I know someone will chime in and say well Holmstrom wasn't up putting up numbers up there but if you put Holmstrom on the 3rdline and Hudler on the 2nd then you are taking away scoring from the 3rd line. Not many teams have a guy like Hudler on the 3rd line. While you may want to play more and feel you should, the team was winning while you were on the 3rd and 4th lines over the last 2 years.

Thoughts to why Happy left:

I believe his thought process went something like this:

Although I'm officially listed at 5'10 182 lbs...I know I am really 5'8 175 lb Center with fair-good speed but great offensive ability. The NHL every year is only getting bigger, stronger, and faster....not good news for me. How long can I play in this league? If I did stay in the NHL....would my value be as high in a few years? Would this be my last contract? What if I get hurt?

Ok...I'll take the sure money, and go back to Europe and check out that scene. I here Moscow is a fashion meca and has hot chicks. Plus, the hockey over there is very open offensive minded style, clean, and not as rugged as the NHL...small guys can still excel there too.

Contract signed!

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

Uhhh no.

--> The Wings didn't have the cap room to make him an offer close enough to market value

--> He's young and feels he has another 13 years left and that his NHL career is just on hold, not over.

--> Russian girls are beautiful and unconcerned with height (don't tell his supermodel Czech girlfriend).

--> He filed for arbitration and told his agent he will complete the arbitration process to allow the Wings to keep his rights

--> He's moving to a country that, amazingly, has tax laws even friendlier to the rich.

--> Oh, and this:

Hudler also stated on the record that he wants to be a leader on the team, in addition to more ice time.

Add to the mix that the Russky schedule is a helluva lot less grueling and the more time off between seasons allows for recovery and more fitness training. This, along with the bigger ice (= more room & contributes to less abuse) and the relatively softer nature of the euro game, could extend his playing years no matter if he decides to stay there or return the NHL.

Is there any proof on Babcock's disdain for Hudler?

The fact that guys like Helm and Leino were getting more even strength ice time this season than Hudler, even though Hudler produced at approximately the same rate point-per-minute as Zetterberg at even strength...while Filppula just played the same amount of minutes at even strength.

And furthermore, Hudler was better point-per-minute at both even strength and on the power play than both Datsyuk or Hossa in the playoffs this year. And Hudler was the only one of the three who DIDN'T play on a top three line all playoff!

Up to a point... FIlppula could be relied on from a defensive point of view, and played on the penalty kill.

Exactly... he just needs to have consistent linemates... he never played on a top line this past year for more than a couple shifts at a time before he was moved to another line.

See below.

The fact that guys like Helm and Leino were getting more even strength ice time this season than Hudler, even though Hudler produced at approximately the same rate point-per-minute as Zetterberg at even strength...while Filppula just played the same amount of minutes at even strength.

And furthermore, Hudler was better point-per-minute at both even strength and on the power play than both Datsyuk or Hossa in the playoffs this year. And Hudler was the only one of the three who DIDN'T play on a top three line all playoff!

Unless I'm mistaken he saw ice time playing with Franzén and Zetterberg against opposing teams' top lines, and didn't look good at all out there - but that's not necessarily a knock against him as a player, a possible alternative is that he had no time to gel with them. In any case, I don't think it had to do with him 'not feeling protected'. It probably had more to do with being given more money and a much bigger role, which he will no doubt excel at. Hopefully some Swedish teams join the KHL so that I can watch him play in Sweden!

Guest ZetterbergFourty

Having a bit of trouble remembering the time of events, but Perry got knocked out by Ericsson before or after Hudler got rocked in that series? Which btw, Hudler took like a f***in CHAMP! Ericsson is the new enforcer, I hope he continues to roll f***s like Perry.

Having a bit of trouble remembering the time of events, but Perry got knocked out by Ericsson before or after Hudler got rocked in that series? Which btw, Hudler took like a f***in CHAMP! Ericsson is the new enforcer, I hope he continues to roll f***s like Perry.

I'm not sure what order those events went in but I'm 99% sure Ericsson didn't fight Perry because of the Hudler hit (assuming the Hudler hit happened first). Perry was being a little ***** after the whistle, cross-checking people in the back and generally being a little s***. Perry assumed Ericsson wasn't going to stand up for himself, so he started acting like a little ***** to Big Rig and Ericsson put him down like a lame horse.

Ericsson is not an enforcer by any stretch of the word...nor do you want him to play that role anyway.

Uhhh no.

--> Oh, and this:

russian-women.jpg

I don't see any proof she likes short guys... :)

Guest Shoreline

Hudler clearly left because there are too many tall people in the NHL. Makes as much sense as this theory.