• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MadMan Mark

Nichol Signs with Sharks

Rate this topic

can't find the terms of the deal, but SJ was already pressed against the cap and only had 17 players signed before this signing. . . cap hell, sucks to be you. Don't worry, Chi will be joining SJ in cap hell next year.

Teams such as Chicago and Sharks seem to be disregarding the cap completely. I cannot understand why they would put themselves in this situation, this could destroy their franchise. I'm glad Wings are going to be positioned very nicely in cap space next year. Holland will be able to clean house with the all the firesales and refuges that will be walking... haha.

Keep in mind that Chi also has $5M in bonuses to be paid out, which is above the league limit of 7.5% of the cap. Any overages get applied to next year's more-than-likely shrinking cap. I hope the Hawks fall on their face this year and then return to the basement of the Central for many years to come.

Teams such as Chicago and Sharks seem to be disregarding the cap completely. I cannot understand why they would put themselves in this situation, this could destroy their franchise. I'm glad Wings are going to be positioned very nicely in cap space next year. Holland will be able to clean house with the all the firesales and refuges that will be walking... haha.

Lol oh the irony when the Hawks and Wings are handing out 12 year deals. One trade and the Sharks can easily create enough space to sign a few bottom six guys.

Lol oh the irony when the Hawks and Wings are handing out 12 year deals. One trade and the Sharks can easily create enough space to sign a few bottom six guys.

I fail to see the irony when the Wings are still under the cap. Not to mention those 12 year deals are reasons why the Wings held onto Franzen and Zetterberg and are still under the cap.

Marleau is only signed one more year. His contract doesn't even compare to a 12 year deal.

Actually, it's a brilliant move. All throughout his prime, Zetterberg gets paid equal to or more than his market value. The lower salary in the final years knock the cap hit down. Z can retire, and his remaining contract goes off the books.

San Jose arent done, they are going to shake things up. They have to, if they dont, there over the cap and still going to be the playoff chokers.

If they're smart they'll deal Thornton to the Leafs for a package of prospects and picks. Not sure if Burke will bite given Thornton's utter inability to lead or play like a man in the postseason.

If they're smart they'll deal Thornton to the Leafs for a package of prospects and picks. Not sure if Burke will bite given Thornton's utter inability to lead or play like a man in the postseason.

This deal wont happen, who would the Leafs give up? I dont think they would give up someone like Schenn. Maybe they could ship out people like Grabovski and Kulemin but they Sharks would want more than that.

This deal wont happen, who would the Leafs give up? I dont think they would give up someone like Schenn. Maybe they could ship out people like Grabovski and Kulemin but they Sharks would want more than that.

Oh they'd have to give someone like Kadri and at least one future 1st. They could also add Pogge? Who knows :P The Leafs are just the team that came to mind-- not that I'd touch Thornton if I were Burke.

Oh they'd have to give someone like Kadri and at least one future 1st. They could also add Pogge? Who knows :P The Leafs are just the team that came to mind-- not that I'd touch Thornton if I were Burke.

Not that Thornton would necessarily be involved, but could SJ possibly be players in the Dany Heatley trade talks?

Not that Thornton would necessarily be involved, but could SJ possibly be players in the Dany Heatley trade talks?

They could... but Thornton or Marleau would have to go the other way at least from a salary cap standpoint.

I do know this- the Wings are in great shape to steal Grier given the cap situation in SJ.

I do know this- the Wings are in great shape to steal Grier given the cap situation in SJ.

I agree with this. I posted something in another thread ranking the lead hitting UFA's of last year and Grier led the pack with 190 something projected hits. The guy hits anything he sees. I'm down with Grier for sure.

PS: Except for Datsyuk

Edited by Peleshob

Huh? First of all, the Wings gave out intelligent 12 year deals and orignated the current style of doing so, so don't bring those long signing pretenders in Chicago into the discussion. :lol: (and the 150 year Islanders contract doesn't count because it wasn't done in this structure, under the cap or with any thought put into it other than "let's mess some s*** up")

Look at Zetterberg and Franzen's playoff stats this year and last year. Both signed for significantly below market value. How'd they do it? Our GM is the best in the league and just invented a new method of signing players in the cap world. How? Holland pisses excellence.

Your 'one trade' scenario is ridiculous because it's literally the solution to every single possible cap issue of this nature. That's like saying "You're saying I'll starve if I move into the middle of the Sahara? One food drop from a UN airplane and I'll easily eat for six weeks".

Marleau is only signed one more year. His contract doesn't even compare to a 12 year deal.

Right, it doesn't compare... because you'd be an IDIOT to sign Patty Marleau for 12 years. He is no Henrik Zetterberg.

Moving on though...

The Sharks really need to shake this team up not only because of cap woes, but because I don't think adding a "Dallas Drake" type player is going to put them over the hump. If you're talking about the same core of players having the same type of regular season again, sure... go for it. Win the division, win the conference, win that President's trophy.... oh, but wait... what's that sound I'm hearing? Is it another first round choke-fest?

Could very well be...

Joe Thornton — $7,200,000

Patrick Marleau — $6,300,000

Milan Michalek — $4,333,333

Ryane Clowe — $3,625,000

Jonathan Cheechoo $3,000,000

Joe Pavelski — $1,637,500

Devin Setoguchi $1,246,666

Jamie McGinn $996,666

Scott Nichol — $750,000

Jody Shelley — $725,000

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Boyle — $6,666,666

Rob Blake — $3,500,000

Christian Ehrhoff $3,100,000

Marc-Edouard Vlasic $3,100,000

Douglas Murray — $2,500,000

Kent Huskins — $1,700,000

Brad Lukowich — $1,566,666

GOALTENDERS

Evgeni Nabokov $5,375,000

ROSTER SIZE 18

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $57,322,497

BONUSES $740,000

CAP SPACE $217,503

I sure am getting a kick out of watching the Sharks in this off-season. They have 10 forwards, 7 D-men, and 1 goaltender. . . and nomoney to spend. I seriously doubt they are involved in the Heatley talks. They would have to part with more than a Thornton or a Marleau and they still don't have a full team signed. My big question is who do they get as a backup to Nabokov? He went down last year and Boucher picked up the slack. Sharks need to go very cheap on the backup and pray 2 things. . . 1. Nabokov does not get hurt and 2. Nabokov has enough gas in the tank for the post-season.

SJ returns to the rest of the pack in West this year and is lucky to compete for their division title.

Just another example of horrible foresight from a GM.

San Jose will move one of Thornton or Marleau. IMO, they should move Thornton. If this post-season showed me anything it's that Thornton truly is the invisible man. I could see Toronto looking to pick him up, and they don't have to worry about him sucking in the playoffs because, well... they don't make the post-season :) .