• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xtrememachine1

Hossa: "Its great to be in a hockey town."

Rate this topic

I remember a time like 600 years or so ago when fans here made fun of Penguins fans for their attitude displayed against Hossa for leaving their team. Can I get a facepalm at how many broken-hearted-girlfriends there are here?

epicfacepalm.jpg

Props to EuroTwin.

I remember a time like 600 years or so ago when fans here made fun of Penguins fans for their attitude displayed against Hossa for leaving their team. Can I get a facepalm at how many broken-hearted-girlfriends there are here?

facepalm4.jpg

I know that we all want to take the high road and be civil about Hoss' expected departure. I'm also sure there's many of you, like myself, still respect him as an individual and a player. With that said, I admit that I winced at his comment and I merely put that into perspective that the Wings will prevail without him.

I applaud xtrememachine1 that at least he verbally spoke his emotions and I have no ill words towards a fellow Wings fan. We as fans have to really put this behind us and place our efforts into the team that we have.

You can all blast me with what you feel, but I feel all of us had gotten our point across. Even though I minimize my comments on this board because of the many negative topics, I do read them daily in hopes of something truly positive. With that, cheers to all my fellow Wings fans and I can't f'n wait until October.

I remembered reading this the day he left DET and why he's a true classy player.

"I had a great time in Detroit,'' Hossa said during a conference call today. "I was hoping we could get something done, but with today's economy and the salary cap it's hard (for a team) to sign all its star players.''

"It was a great year. It didn't finish how I'd like, but now it's time to move on.''

He said he knew it would be tough for him to sign long term with the Red Wings.

"If I sign, probably another five guys wouldn't be able to sign or someone would be traded,'' Hossa said. "That would be hard to deal with."

I think this is the quote we should remember the most. Truly showed that he cared about the Wings welfare in the long run compared to him merely cashing in.

You came across bitter, if that wasn't your intent then I apologize. In any case, be happy for Hossa wish him well, or just ignore him...anything else comes across like a girlfriend who just got dumped. He doesn't warrant that kind of negative attention.

It wasn't my intent for this to be a "Hossa bash". I just think its amazing that after all the crap he had to deal with from the media over the past year he would be more careful with his words and he says this. Everyone, as you can see from the Puck Daddy blog, makes a "hockey town" and "HOCKEYTOWN" connection and it can be perceived as a shot at his old team.

I fail to see how this is a dig, but maybe it is... Maybe he's mad that Wings signed Franzen instead of him, who knows? With that said, any town with hockey can be a hockey town, but there is only one true "HockeyTown".

Guest mindfly
For God's sake. Yet another asinine post from xtrememachine.

"A hockey town.

Not "Hockey Town" or "THE hockey town," but "a hockey town."

Chicago most certainly qualifies now, based on its ability to sell out a 20,000-seat arena for every home game last year.

One of the dumbest threads I've ever seen here.

Shouldn't be hard to fill up an arena if ther are 3million people in just the city not counting the metro area of 10million people.

Shouldn't be hard to fill up an arena if ther are 3million people in just the city not counting the metro area of 10million people.

Amen! G.D.! I wish the mayor and city council would get their heads out of their assess! How long until Detroit is a desireable city again? How long until it just dissappears? The bad thing is, the citizens of Detroit don't even care about their city, for the most part. They all want what "they got coming" to them but don't want to do anything for themselves! "Where's mine?" Wy don't you get a f'ing job! McDonalds is hiring, thats better than ZERO! You almost wish you could go through with sweeper and just get rid of the scum! G.D. this city could be so great! Can we have the US Government take over the city?

I think the reason everyone is down on Hossa is because he didn't show up to play in the finals. He came to Detroit expecting to win a Stanley Cup. This made us expect him to be some great contributor to our win. He then failed to produce in the finals and for most of the playoffs, leaving us a little disappointed in him. And the way I see it is he had an opportunity to prove himself to us one more time, but he bailed. I don't think many of us are hurt that he left, but would have wanted him to stay and prove himself to us after he f***ed up in the finals.

It was nice having him in the regular season, but we do not need him.

Hey, everybody, let's make something out of nothing!

Yeah, that clearly never happens in here!!!!!

It wasn't my intent for this to be a "Hossa bash". I just think its amazing that after all the crap he had to deal with from the media over the past year he would be more careful with his words and he says this. Everyone, as you can see from the Puck Daddy blog, makes a "hockey town" and "HOCKEYTOWN" connection and it can be perceived as a shot at his old team.

You are getting worked up over nothing. HOCKEYTOWN is a slogan in Detroit. Both Detroit and Chicago are solid hockey cities.

I think he just means it will be nice to play in front of a full crowd rather than just half an arena full and being able to hear them cheer and stuff and feed off them

Why do you say that? They don't have full crowds in Detroit? Let's see don't the Red Wings play at the Joe Louis arena? Just wondering.... BB11

Just for those of you who are saying that Chicago is a crazy hockey town or that they looove their Hawks; that wasn't the case until this year. Their games were hardly attended until about December of last year when people had finally begun watching the games on TV after their owner, (I'm too lazy to google his name) who did not allow games to be televised, died. After the new year I saw decals on cars and more hats and jerseys showing up around here.

In my opinion as someone from Chicago, these fans need to prove that they're not fair weather fans before Chicago can be called any type of hockey town. The team has been abandoned by its fans since the mid-90's.

Just for those of you who are saying that Chicago is a crazy hockey town or that they looove their Hawks; that wasn't the case until this year. Their games were hardly attended until about December of last year when people had finally begun watching the games on TV after their owner, (I'm too lazy to google his name) who did not allow games to be televised, died. After the new year I saw decals on cars and more hats and jerseys showing up around here.

In my opinion as someone from Chicago, these fans need to prove that they're not fair weather fans before Chicago can be called any type of hockey town. The team has been abandoned by its fans since the mid-90's.

really? he didnt allow games to be televised? Im not surprised that the fans abandoned them, who would want to go spend money on tickets to a team they've never seen?

Guest mindfly
Why do you say that? They don't have full crowds in Detroit? Let's see don't the Red Wings play at the Joe Louis arena? Just wondering.... BB11

JLA is rockin in the playoffs, probably top3 buildings in the playoffs.. but a homegame versus phoenix on a tuesday night in november the building can have 6-7000 empty seats to be honest but from what ive read its mostly due to the horrible economy in the state of michigan.

I think the Wngs fans are alot more hockey-savy than the Pens fans. I still can't believe the uproar from Pens fans last year when

1. They lost in the finals

2. Hossa left.

This year we experienced both of those things and had a completly different reaction.

1. Well it sucks to lose in the finals but we gave it our all and if not for the injuries, the ridiculous schedule, Boston losing in game 7 to Carolina, and the Pens having no significant injuries, we would have won. We didn't get the breaks but we will next year.

2. Hossa was a 1 year experiment that didn't work out. He didn't help us as we hoped and Kenny was smart enough to make sure that we were only on the hook for 1 year.

After the 2008 SCF, Hossa was a very sought after commodity. After the 2009 SCF, not so much.

He's gone. Oh well, at least Kenny signed Franzen and Z for life.

JLA is rockin in the playoffs, probably top3 buildings in the playoffs.. but a homegame versus phoenix on a tuesday night in november the building can have 6-7000 empty seats to be honest but from what ive read its mostly due to the horrible economy in the state of michigan.

Detroit has a higher road attendance %, Chicago's is higher at home. Overall they are 1 and 2 in the league. Overall, their isn't alot of difference. 1.59 million people saw the Wings and 1.63 saw the Hawks.

Attendace Stats

really? he didnt allow games to be televised?

"Dollar" Bill Wirtz. He never allowed their home games to be televised. You could only listen to them on the radio. Away games were always televised, though. He was of the opinion that if you televise home games, people won't show up, opting to see the games from their living rooms instead. So he forced peoples' hands basically and took that option away. He was a cheap bastard.

I listened to my dad ***** about this over and over and over and over and over again. When he finally took the big dirt nap, his son loosened the purse strings and allowed the home games to be televised.

Guest Crymson
For God's sake. Yet another asinine post from xtrememachine.

"A hockey town.

Not "Hockey Town" or "THE hockey town," but "a hockey town."

Chicago most certainly qualifies now, based on its ability to sell out a 20,000-seat arena for every home game last year.

One of the dumbest threads I've ever seen here.

I think he felt that Hossa was suggesting, in expressing his delight at being in "a hockey town", that Detroit, by contrast, had not been "a hockey town."

This is definitely the media trying to blow things out of proportion, and possibly put Wings' fans in the same light as Pens' fans, who were collectively described as holding a grudge against Hossa.

Its just a quote, and I promise there's no ill will against the Wings when Hossa said it.

Guest Four
This is definitely the media trying to blow things out of proportion, and possibly put Wings' fans in the same light as Pens' fans, who were collectively described as holding a grudge against Hossa.

Its just a quote, and I promise there's no ill will against the Wings when Hossa said it.

Well we arnt burning his jerseys yet..:P

And he should have chose his words more carefully, not our fault