• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xtrememachine1

Hossa: "Its great to be in a hockey town."

Rate this topic

If he would have added "and Lord knows I wasn't in one last year" then there might be something article-worthy in there. As it is, it's a tempest in a teapot. Lest we forget, he's not a native English speaker either.

Detroit has a higher road attendance %, Chicago's is higher at home. Overall they are 1 and 2 in the league. Overall, their isn't alot of difference. 1.59 million people saw the Wings and 1.63 saw the Hawks.

Attendace Stats

numbers are irrelevant when they don't actually show up and make noise and create energy

Guest Crymson
numbers are irrelevant when they don't actually show up and make noise and create energy

And that problem could be fixed if our third and fourth lines carried nothing but hard-hitting, oft-fighting enforcers, eh?

And that problem could be fixed if our third and fourth lines carried nothing but hard-hitting, oft-fighting enforcers, eh?

this isn't the thread for that

but are you suggesting the Joe Louis is packed and energetic? or just being a dick?

Hossa's statement had more to do with the fact that he had signed, basically, for life and was glad he had signed in a city that was a hockey town rather than a place like Los Angeles or Tampa Bay where he would have been playing on a bad team that nobody would have cared about even if they won the Cup.

This is the same kind of situation as the comment last year; Hossa said he had the opportunity to make a lot of money or he could try and win a Cup. Pens fans thought he was taking a shot at their team, when he was really directing it at the Oilers and Kings who offered ridiculous amounts of money that NO player should be making, and offered it over a long term. Hossa gave up over $80m dollars to play for the Wings last year in trying to win the Cup; it would have still been more than $50m on the table if he had stayed in Pittsburgh. Any Pens fan who thinks Hossa was taking a shot at Pittsburgh didn't realize what other offers were out there, and assumed Hossa was taking a shot at the Pens.

And yet another attack from a guy that thinks Hawks GM... wait former GM Dale Tallon, is a genius. Are you still mad at me because I put you in your place last time we talked? Get over it.

As I had mentioned before, I think its interesting that a month after he leaves HOCKEYTOWN, he says its great to be in a "hockey town". Its a bad choice of words, just like last year. And you would think after all the crap he went through with the media over the past year, he would choose he words more carefully. He didn't say that after he left Atlanta or Pittsburgh, he says it after he leaves Detroit which is called Hockeytown by everyone.

I'm not disputing that Chicago is a great "hockey town". Its an original six city, it better be. I think Hossa's choice of words are bad. That's pretty much all I was trying to point out in this post.

YOU PUT ME IN MY PLACE?

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We disagreed over Campbell's utility. I conceded he's overpaid. Then I reminded you that the Wings are dedicating nearly five million dollars of cap space to dead weight, including Holmstrom, Draper, Maltby. You didn't reply.

The thought of you putting ANYONE in their place is beyond hilarious. It makes me wonder about your mental wherewithal. Then again, you can barely speak the language (His choice of words "are" bad? Did you drop out of grade school?). It's only fitting that your weak grasp on the language precipitated this thread in the first place.

I think he felt that Hossa was suggesting, in expressing his delight at being in "a hockey town", that Detroit, by contrast, had not been "a hockey town."

Yes, he did, and it was an inane assumption. Attribute Hossa's word choice to the fact that he doesn't speak English all that well. What's xmachine's excuse?

I think he just means it will be nice to play in front of a full crowd rather than just half an arena full and being able to hear them cheer and stuff and feed off them

Sad, but true. Playoffs were just NUTS at the Joe. Need some of that energy during the regular season.

Edited by Zion

YOU PUT ME IN MY PLACE?

Yeah the true hurts huh?

We disagreed over Campbell's utility. I conceded he's overpaid. Then I reminded you that the Wings are dedicating nearly five million dollars of cap space to dead weight, including Holmstrom, Draper, Maltby. You didn't reply.

Wow, a whole 5 mil to players that will be off the books after next year. Plus, we're not risking our franchise players in having them like the Hawks with Hossa, Huet and Campbell.

The thought of you putting ANYONE in their place is beyond hilarious. It makes me wonder about your mental wherewithal. Then again, you can barely speak the language (His choice of words "are" bad? Did you drop out of grade school?). It's only fitting that your weak grasp on the language precipitated this thread in the first place.

Yep and you make it easy too. If you could argue your point without being a jerk and without resorting to personal attacks, then it wouldn't be so easy to put you in your place. I respond to you with facts and you respond to me with insults and attacks.

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who run out of ideas" - HG Wells.

Edited by xtrememachine1

Yes, he did, and it was an inane assumption. Attribute Hossa's word choice to the fact that he doesn't speak English all that well. What's xmachine's excuse?

Wow, can you go one post without mentioning me? I must REALLY be in your head. LOL

Hossa used the wrong word. He should have used “Real Major City.†One that has retail shopping downtown, major chain stores and restaurants all across the city, vibrant neighborhoods, diverse economy, a city that is recognized at a global level, mass transit that connects the city and suburbs together, plus he probably can now go to the airport and take a direct flight back to Slovakia during the offseason without having to fly to some other U.S. city to get on another plane and fly back to Slovakia.

OK.. This will be my first post here....

I don't understand why people are pissed off because Hossa sign with a different team. I am sure if Holland could have given him the same deal Hossa would be a Red Wing.

You cant expect that every player in the league would take a huge pay cut just to play for the Wings.

It isn't like Holland gave him a $80 million offer over 10 years and he signed with Islanders for $100 million over 10 years. He signed with a team that came as far as WCF this season and with a chance of winning the cup next year. At the same time he got what he wanted, a long term contract.

And this quote about Hockey town. I have no problem with it at all. He just said what people (hawk fans) expect him to say.

And before people jump down my throat about my grammar and spelling. :P

I am a Swede living in Michigan.

Why is it so easy for people to be offended by a compliment to someone else? Just because he complimented Chicago doesn't mean he's dissing Detroit.

:siren: No doubt. What a bunch of thin skinned sensetive little boys we have around here, my God!

He loved playing in Detroit. We knew it couldn't fit mathematically. Chicago is not Detroit, but you know what; its cool too. Yes, its a sports crazy town with a lot of history. I hope he has a good career there and doesn't beat us too badly in the process.

If you guys are like this in your relationships with your sports figures, I'd hate to see you in a relationship with a girlfriend.

Grow the f*** up, please!

Except Draper is signed until 2011...

True, but I think he'll be done after this next season. He'll be 39 at the end of next year, Maltby's contract will expire and most likely not be renewed, so I'm thinking that Drapes will call it quits after this year.

Guest E_S_A_D
I think he just means it will be nice to play in front of a full crowd rather than just half an arena full and being able to hear them cheer and stuff and feed off them

Agreed. Wings fans notoriously the past 5 years have been Library fans and part-time fans during the regular season , then show up in 2nd round of the playoffs.

It's lack of fighting, grit, and tenacity and the fact that Wings fans are spoiled that causes this.

When I lived in Las Vegas I would attend the Wranglers AA hockey games, and it was louder at those than Joe Louis in regular season.

Guest mindfly
Hossa used the wrong word. He should have used “Real Major City.†One that has retail shopping downtown, major chain stores and restaurants all across the city, vibrant neighborhoods, diverse economy, a city that is recognized at a global level, mass transit that connects the city and suburbs together, plus he probably can now go to the airport and take a direct flight back to Slovakia during the offseason without having to fly to some other U.S. city to get on another plane and fly back to Slovakia.

Is it really that bad in detroit?... no retail shopping downtown? ugh

I guess Hossa was giving a compliment when you think about.

Chicago is a hockeytown. Detroit is THE hockeytown. "A" is an indefinite article while "the" is a definite article. Hossa's subconscious is not as bad as it may seem.

"OUR FANS SUCK!!!"

I didn't say it like that but honestly is that not true? like are you afraid to admit it or something...? I wish the Joe was full and energetic like it used to be but it's not, I'm not going to pretend it is

I didn't say it like that but honestly is that not true? like are you afraid to admit it or something...? I wish the Joe was full and energetic like it used to be but it's not, I'm not going to pretend it is

I'm also not going to run around touting how bad my fans are when that is a seriously overblown belief.

We have better fans than the majority of the NHL, and I find it irritating when people make sarcastic jobs at the fandom there is here in Detroit.