• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

Just be yourself and ask lots of questions to make them feel like you really are interested in the job. Basically, just don't be silent a lot, because for some reason, quiet and shy people are not what interviewers want.

Also, prepare ahead of time to answer any questions you may envision them asking, including the stupid ones like why you want the job, or what makes you the best candidate, or some situation where you had to overcome some adversity in your life. Also, since you haven't had a job in many years (something I can unfortunately allude to) be prepared to tell them why, because they'll likely ask.

I've always been terrible at interviews, but I think the advice above should help you anyways, because at least I know my limitations. For me interviews always go south from the moment they say, "So tell us about yourself".
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (HockeyCrazy3033 @ July 18, 2009 - 11:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Loo ~ you're so sweet and I love you too!

Electrophile - thanks so much for all the advice, I really appreciate that you asked your Dad for some advice as well. That was awesome of you to do.

You guys rockkk! : )

Oh, it was nothing! I have no experience in hiring anyone and my dad does. He's not in HR, but being a manager/VP, he's had to hire people to work under him so that's where it comes from. So I thought I'd bend his ear and see what he thought. Aside from the obvious ones of show up on time, dress professionally and have your resume/references handy.

I really hope this works out for you.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#23 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

Better be good and fast at math, they have crazy tests you have to pass! I mean crazy!

Posted Image

#24 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (rage @ July 19, 2009 - 04:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Better be good and fast at math, they have crazy tests you have to pass! I mean crazy!

REALLY?

Math is my biggest weakness! I hope you're joking but I fear you are not.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#25 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (HockeyCrazy3033 @ July 19, 2009 - 02:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
REALLY?

Math is my biggest weakness! I hope you're joking but I fear you are not.

laugh.gif

He's messing with you, Reemster. If they give you a test it's probably addition and subtraction to see if you can count money and run a register, which is about all the math you'd be doing. I worked at a video rental store (Blockbuster) for 1.5 years just out of high school and I was never given any test. It will be just fine and go rather smoothly. Just convey (body language, smiles) how excited you are for the possibility of getting this job.

Oh, and definitely let us know how it went, or else! *shakes fist*

Edited by Shoreline, 19 July 2009 - 04:56 PM.

#26 Detroitboogie

Detroitboogie

Stretcher Fetcher

• 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

I had my most stressful interview just last month with Detroit Fire. They sit you down in front of interveiw board which consisted of 5 people. The Deputy Commish, Chief and Asst Chief of the dept your interveiwing for, the FD human resources manager and the city HR manager. I was sooo nervous. I found somethings helpful that have been posted already. The big thing is just being yourself, dont try to embelish your past experience and be truthful about everything in your past employment. Dressing nice is a no brainer, looking professional never hurts. And at the end when they ask if you have any questions, ask a question. Think of something about the company that you can ask about even if you already know the answer, ask if you would be able to end up as a manger in time or even a district manager. Employers want good people that are going to be around awhile. Other than my 2 cents, some of the first posts I saw were really good. Good luck.
Another TeeMan Sig creation

#27 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

What im getting from this is your roughly 20-21 and you haven't worked sense you were 15 years old? Are you atleast going to college or something? Not trying to give you a hard time because for one i don't know all the details. Anyway get your ass up there with the attitude you want to work. If you want the job bad enough you'll get it.

#28 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

I don't know if this applies to you, Reem, but just throwing it out.

Be nice to the people at the bottom. Chat up the secretary and the janitor.

I had an interview once and got there before the owner. The janitor let me in, and we chatted for a while. He was a really nice guy. I found out later that he was the owner's husband. Good brownie points.

It never hurts to be good to the people on the bottom. Often they have been there a long time and the owners trust their judgment.

The easiest interview I ever had was one where I went in and the manager looked at my resume and said, "oh, you're Joe's friend. You can start Friday." The janitor had told her about me (he's my supervisor at my other job). Joe had been the part-time janitor on the weekends for about 10 years at that time. She knew if Joe said to hire someone, that she was going to hire them. Joe has a physical problem that causes some people to shun him, so he's kind of a litmus test for how a potential employee will treat other people.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#29 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (wingslionstigers @ July 19, 2009 - 07:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What im getting from this is your roughly 20-21 and you haven't worked sense you were 15 years old? Are you atleast going to college or something? Not trying to give you a hard time because for one i don't know all the details.

Not that I'm trying to pick an argument, but what does that matter? I didn't work throughout high school OR college. I didn't have the time. I was in the AP Honors program in high school and in college I was taking 18 credit hours a semester. Work was not a possibility, however nice it would have been. I'd get up in the morning at 6am and walk through the door of my dorm at 7pm.

So the reason she hasn't worked in 5-6 years is none of our business.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#30 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (55fan @ July 19, 2009 - 07:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It never hurts to be good to the people on the bottom. Often they have been there a long time and the owners trust their judgment.

You are an exceptional person, Karen, as is Reem. I can't imagine anyone not liking and appreciating either of you once they meet you.

It's often more about who you know, and how you've treated them, than what you know, and that's a fact. I have always made it a point to know the names of the people who clean the building I work in, and I acknowledge them when I see them off property... in fact, I've recommended them for private jobs, with people I know and love, because I trust them and believe in them.

I make it a point to ask the person checking my groceries out at the supermarket how their day has been. Or just if they are OK? They always smile and usually answer, it's been OK, or I had a little headache before but it's better now. Without exception, they say, thank you for asking. No one every asks me if I am OK. Isn't that sad? I actually really do want to know, if for no other reason than to let them know I see them as a person. Little goofy trait of mine, but I don't plan to stop doing it. Our world is too harsh and impersonal now, and you truly never know when a kind word will make a huge difference in someone's life. Even if it makes them smile for two seconds, it's worth it to me.

Reem, I know you have been working since you were a kid. I believe you said you worked, but had never been interviewed for a job, therefore this is new to you. Listen kiddo, some of us who've been at the same job for 15-20 years are pretty rusty, too. So some of the hints in this thread could come in handy.

As for the minority 'opinion' posted here, judgemental, juvenile and pathetic (to borrow a word) in nature as it was: IGNORE!!!!!

We love you, I hope you get the job and knock their socks off!!

I just now you will. thumbup.gif

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#31 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

Reem, what are you going to wear? smile.gif

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#32 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

You all are too sweet! Seriously you have no idea how much that has all helped me. I love all of you dearly. I really do.

Also I'm 22 years old. Haven't had a job since I was 15 because I didn't get a car till I was 19 and there was no way I was going to let someone drop me to and from work when my entire family worked. I wasn't about to mess up their working schedules. That and the fact that since 19 I've been going to college full time and didn't think it'd be a good idea to mix both college and work because it was really hard on me and I'd have trouble excelling in school while working as well. Now though being a semester away from my associates and doing much better in college I know I'd be able to handle a job (part time) all the meanwhile still doing great in college. So there ya have it.

55fan - That is actually really good advice! I just found out that my brother's good friend, Victor worked at family video (same one I am applying to) for about 5 years and everyone there loved him. I think I should throw in his name there! ; )

Loo - I went out and got myself really nice casual black pants and I'm still not sure about the shirt yet. I have a nice professional looking white button down. I think I might go with that.

#33 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

Reem, if you go with the white button down shirt, one of the best accessories I can think of to go with that and still maintain a professional look to it is a long-strand black necklace. You can get them cheap at places like Charlotte Russe or Claire's even. Either that or a simple strand of pearls. I have a gorgeous necklace left to me by my late grandmother and I wear it for all interviews. Half-good luck charm, half-fashion.

#34 Hack & Whack Rule!

Hack & Whack Rule!

Goofy Wingnut

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (HockeyCrazy3033 @ July 19, 2009 - 10:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You all are too sweet! Seriously you have no idea how much that has all helped me. I love all of you dearly. I really do.

Also I'm 22 years old. Haven't had a job since I was 15 because I didn't get a car till I was 19 and there was no way I was going to let someone drop me to and from work when my entire family worked. I wasn't about to mess up their working schedules. That and the fact that since 19 I've been going to college full time and didn't think it'd be a good idea to mix both college and work because it was really hard on me and I'd have trouble excelling in school while working as well. Now though being a semester away from my associates and doing much better in college I know I'd be able to handle a job (part time) all the meanwhile still doing great in college. So there ya have it.

55fan - That is actually really good advice! I just found out that my brother's good friend, Victor worked at family video (same one I am applying to) for about 5 years and everyone there loved him. I think I should throw in his name there! ; )

Loo - I went out and got myself really nice casual black pants and I'm still not sure about the shirt yet. I have a nice professional looking white button down. I think I might go with that.

As someone said, your reasons are nobody's business. I'm glad to hear you did well in school, though. I didn't go to college until I spent years in construction, factories and finally the Army. School was not a priority for me until some years after I finished high school.

Lots of good advice here for you. I'm quite impressed with the amount of info that was given up, and if you retain half of it, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Good luck!
Uhh...you might want to duck!

#35 rage

rage

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ July 19, 2009 - 05:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

He's messing with you, Reemster. If they give you a test it's probably addition and subtraction to see if you can count money and run a register, which is about all the math you'd be doing. I worked at a video rental store (Blockbuster) for 1.5 years just out of high school and I was never given any test. It will be just fine and go rather smoothly. Just convey (body language, smiles) how excited you are for the possibility of getting this job.

Oh, and definitely let us know how it went, or else! *shakes fist*

Actually, I wasn't.

But I guess the one I was thinking of was Family Video. That's the one I applied for, and they gave me one hell of a math test. I guess they use it to make sure you can work their system of finding movies and putting them away.

Who knows, maybe you don't have to take the test. I'd be interested to hear if they made you take one though Reem.

Posted Image

#36 NewBelgium1554

NewBelgium1554

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

For nervousness I found, and I am being completely serious here cause I had some wicked bad test anxiety in college and this is what the doctor 'perscribed' me, that taking a shot 30 min before the interview/test helps. Unless you don't drink a whole lot and one shot can make you loopy or something, but this worked for me until I learned how to coop with tests and then for the string of interviews I had to do before I got my job out of college. Just make sure you take a breath mint after it so they don't think you are an alchy.

#37 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

Out of everyone applying, what makes you the best person for the position? What can you bring to the table that nobody else can? Why do they need your services?

These are some good questions that I like to ask myself before an interview. I was never asked questions this intimidating for this kind of job (at least not this direct), but its important to show them why you're exactly what they want and need right now, and that you can do whatever it is they want you to do better than anyone else out there. If at all possible without sounding too pompous or changing the subject, it is often good to explain to them the above in questions that may be relevant to the ones I just mentioned.

Some common questions you may want to think about beforehand:

Tell me about yourself
Why are you interested in this position
Why are you interested in our business
Tell me about your past experiences
What are your three biggest weaknesses (I hate this one)
What are your three biggest strengths
Upon looking at your resume, I noticed this flaw/weakness/unique experience/you quit your job/you haven't had a job since 2003. Care to elaborate? Why will this not affect your ability to work with us?

Edit: also a quick note: I noticed that you said you have been applying to jobs all summer, but haven't received any calls. I think it might be worth mentioning that I have never once received a call for a job in my entire life, yet I've still managed to land four jobs and a competitive volunteer opportunity. Instead of waiting for a phonecall, about a week or two after turning in my app/CV, I call them and ask to talk to the manager, and inquire about whether they've had the opportunity to look at my resume yet. Almost every time I have called, the manager notes my name and hints at my apparent interest in working there. For two jobs I landed, I was awarded an interview during my phone call. A couple potential jobs I was called back a couple days later for an interview. However, not all businesses like when you call them, so be sure to do some research (they will usually say on an application or online) before doing so.

Edited by Echolalia, 20 July 2009 - 09:31 AM.

#38 rage

rage

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Echolalia @ July 20, 2009 - 10:25AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Out of everyone applying, what makes you the best person for the position? What can you bring to the table that nobody else can? Why do they need your services?

These are some good questions that I like to ask myself before an interview. I was never asked questions this intimidating for this kind of job (at least not this direct), but its important to show them why you're exactly what they want and need right now, and that you can do whatever it is they want you to do better than anyone else out there. If at all possible without sounding too pompous or changing the subject, it is often good to explain to them the above in questions that may be relevant to the ones I just mentioned.

Some common questions you may want to think about beforehand:

Tell me about yourself
Why are you interested in this position
Why are you interested in our business
Tell me about your past experiences
What are your three biggest weaknesses (I hate this one)
What are your three biggest strengths
Upon looking at your resume, I noticed this flaw/weakness/unique experience/you quit your job/you haven't had a job since 2003. Care to elaborate? Why will this not affect your ability to work with us?

Edit: also a quick note: I noticed that you said you have been applying to jobs all summer, but haven't received any calls. I think it might be worth mentioning that I have never once received a call for a job in my entire life, yet I've still managed to land four jobs and a competitive volunteer opportunity. Instead of waiting for a phonecall, about a week or two after turning in my app/CV, I call them and ask to talk to the manager, and inquire about whether they've had the opportunity to look at my resume yet. Almost every time I have called, the manager notes my name and hints at my apparent interest in working there. For two jobs I landed, I was awarded an interview during my phone call. A couple potential jobs I was called back a couple days later for an interview. However, not all businesses like when you call them, so be sure to do some research (they will usually say on an application or online) before doing so.

Oh yeah, they never call back anymore. You have to call them and check up on your application. Then they will know that you are really interested in the job.

Posted Image

#39 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Detroitboogie @ July 19, 2009 - 06:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had my most stressful interview just last month with Detroit Fire. They sit you down in front of interveiw board which consisted of 5 people. The Deputy Commish, Chief and Asst Chief of the dept your interveiwing for, the FD human resources manager and the city HR manager. I was sooo nervous. I found somethings helpful that have been posted already. The big thing is just being yourself, dont try to embelish your past experience and be truthful about everything in your past employment. Dressing nice is a no brainer, looking professional never hurts. And at the end when they ask if you have any questions, ask a question. Think of something about the company that you can ask about even if you already know the answer, ask if you would be able to end up as a manger in time or even a district manager. Employers want good people that are going to be around awhile. Other than my 2 cents, some of the first posts I saw were really good. Good luck.

Now that is STRESSFUL. How did you do?! (I hope really well)

#40 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

I had a choice of being interviewed today or next Wednesday, and because of some personal stuff going on with fam, I'm getting interviewed next week instead. Just giving a heads up cause I know most thought I'd go today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users