• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Top 10 Steve Yzerman Goals

Rate this topic

I don't have to watch either of these to know that the best Yzerman goal was the double OT winner against the Blues. That goal is more vivid in my mind than the first time i got laid.

Neat.

There was a goal against Toronto, I guess 1999 or 2000 or so, where he basically just took 3 or 4 Maple Leafs to school all the way from the 2nd blue line and scored a goal all by himself despite being hounded the whole play. Wish that one would've been up.

Guest Shoreline

I loved that goal against Toronto. There's been several Yzerman goals that have been played over and over, and for good reason, but that Toronto goal was beautiful, and the crowd was really into it. Not to mention Joe Bowen calling an awesome Stevie goal like that is even more win.

I like the video's, but to have to pick just 20 goals is an injustice to what Steve Yzerman did on the ice! He scored 692 goals in the regular season, and I'm not sure the number in the playoffs. Everytime he put the puck in the back of the net, it was a HUGE goal!!

Its not just the goals his guy scored, it is what he has done for the game, the city of Detroit, and the Detroit RedWings! That is what I will remember the most about Stevie Y!

Thanks for sharing the video's!!!!

Watching these videos especially the goals from early in his career you see 1 or 2 guys draped all over him, that one he scored against Ranford where he may as well have given Manson a piggyback ride just makes me wonder how many goals would have guys like him scored with the new rules and how much longer could have his career have lasted.

Thanks for the vid posting great summer time thread.

i think nhl network leans more towards goals that were impactful in the game, whereas tsn leans more towards the pretty goals. That being said, i have NHL network and they play the top 10 episode like every other day, so il go with TSN on this one.

Watching these videos especially the goals from early in his career you see 1 or 2 guys draped all over him, that one he scored against Ranford where he may as well have given Manson a piggyback ride just makes me wonder how many goals would have guys like him scored with the new rules and how much longer could have his career have lasted

He wouldn't have scored any more goals because as the videos also showed, goaltending in the 80s and early 90s was absolutely atrocious.

Nice mullet into the 90s though :scared:

Also, does it piss anyone else off that he left before passing 700 goals? :( That was the worst part of his retirement... you knew he wasn't going to be around for much longer, but why couldn't he wait until he passed 700 goals? :P

Also, does it piss anyone else off that he left before passing 700 goals? :( That was the worst part of his retirement... you knew he wasn't going to be around for much longer, but why couldn't he wait until he passed 700 goals? :P

It doesnt piss me off at all. Its just another example of what a class act he is. It was never about him or about the points. For him to stick around just for 700 would run contrary to the biggest reason he was great, and that was his character.

Edited by kook_10

The OT goal where he took Gretzky and Casey to school...that was it. TSN definitely got that part right.

Really? I guess a lot of people seem to feel that way. Myself, while it was fun to watch it happen and see the Wings win that game and the series that night, I've never thought that was a "great goal." Gretzky was lazy on that play and just let the puck bounce off his stick and didn't even try to retrieve it, and Casey was awful on the goal.

When I think of a "great goal" I think of one like that Avalanche goal in both the TSN and NHL Network videos where he shoots short side on Roy, and it looks like there's no possible way the puck could get in, and yet it does. And it wasn't a mistake by Roy - there was nothing he could have done to stop it. That's a "great goal."

Edited by LiddyFan

Really? I guess a lot of people seem to feel that way. Myself, while it was fun to watch it happen and see the Wings win that game and the series that night, I've never thought that was a "great goal." Gretzky was lazy on that play and just let the puck bounce off his stick and didn't even try to retrieve it, and Casey was awful on the goal.

When I think of a "great goal" I think of one like that Avalanche goal in both the TSN and NHL Network videos where he shoots short side on Roy, and it looks like there's no possible way the puck could get in, and yet it does. And it wasn't a mistake by Roy - there was nothing he could have done to stop it. That's a "great goal."

The St. Louis goal, he totally strips Gretzky and breaks up ice full speed. Yzerman is faster than Gretzky and going the other direction, so it's not like Gretzky really had a chance to get the puck back. Yzerman sniping the top corner from just inside the blue line and Casey not being able to stop it was great. Maybe not his greatest, but deserving of being on the list.

I would've been fine with him passing Messier.

And how was his crazy high flip EN goal not on either list? I love that one.

I think a better one happened in the 97 Conference Finals. The one where he banked it in off of Roy. That goal screamed, "We won't be denied!"

Every time I see that goal against the Blues, I wonder how the camera man wound up in that position for the perfect shot.

I don't think I've ever seen a camera placed at that angle before.

Oh, also he scored a highlight goal against the Blackhawks once that should have been on that list.

I remember a certain goal. I don't think it should be in any top 10 but it was a nice symbolic gesture.

Yzerman and Zetterberg go 2 on none against Eddie Belfour. Yzerman makes a quick perfect pass and Zetterberg just bangs it into the net. I have it on tape somewhere. I need to find it and get me a vcr converter. It was beautiful.

I miss Steve so much. Some guys you just wish could play forever. There will never be another like him. Best player in NHL history. Not one other player in the top 6 all time in points was even close to as good as Steve was defensively. Best all-around player ever. I hope one day to see Yzerman behind our bench.