• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

The most at risk sports teams (per msn.com)

Rate this topic

In the meantime, the Islanders will try to drag their sorry butts out of last place in the NHL’s Atlantic Division, where they won 26 games, lost 47, and tied 9 last season.

Thanks. Good read. ;)

Interesting read, but there was some very poor sports research put into this thing. One example would be the fact that the author assumed that the OT loss column in the Islander's stats meant "ties". Easy mistake, but smacks of someone who doesn't even understand what he's writing about at a fundamental level.

Plus his comments about the questionable profitability of the Buffalo Bills games played in Toronto is retarded. They sold out within minutes and were spectacles that drew in s***-tons of cash.

That wasn't a very good read. The Tigers still bring in around 35K to a game and are selling out games. 3 years ago went to the WS and are #1 in the division. 6+ years ago I say they would have an argument, while a bad a one, but not today. Attendance down while still in the 30's is not gonna move any team.

Sadly the Isles could move before the Coyotes if Bettman has his way.

Considering Mr. Illitch owns both the Tigers and the Wings I reckon they should have included the Wings in that list.

Nascar. We're in a gas/oil crisis and they are only perpetuating it.

Considering Mr. Illitch owns both the Tigers and the Wings I reckon they should have included the Wings in that list.

Nascar. We're in a gas/oil crisis and they are only perpetuating it.

We aren't in a crisis, they just choose not to produce much oil.

Consider where we were in gas last year and where we are today. Two full dollars cheaper.

I forgot about that, isn't Nascar getting fairly popular now? I know that since no one got money right now that less and less are going to the races but every sport has seen less people show up.

They are losing a lot of money in sponsorships and marketing as well as the lower attendence. A lot of these teams are laying people off or eliminating spots altogether. The engineering and technology provided by the automakers is dwindling rapidly. That is why a lot of the smaller tier teams just aren't as competive as they once were.

Plus his comments about the questionable profitability of the Buffalo Bills games played in Toronto is retarded. They sold out within minutes and were spectacles that drew in s***-tons of cash.

Very true, but the fact that so few games are in TO is inevitably going to heighten demand. It's an uncommon, special event, people are going to flock to it because there's a sense that it's a there-and-gone affair. Just earlier in that same article the same phenomenon occurred with the Jaguars - relatively small-market team that drew in sellout crowds to begin with, now they have to shut down segments of the stadium to avoid blackouts. You can't judge overall profitability on the measure of a single game or hell, even a single season. Talk like that is the reason teams like the Coyotes are continuing to vacuum the league's money instead of being allowed to die.

Edited by Cern

I have seen a consistant amount of fans at Tigers games since the 2006 season. Before that season I could buy a $5 ticket and sit anywhere in the park because less than 20k were showing up. So to write something like that now is bad timing by about 4 years. If the Tigers make the playoffs Comerica will be sold out every night. We watched 15 years of horrible baseball in Detroit, now that the Tigers are looking like a contender again we get that trash. Who remembers when the Twins were going to be dissolved a few years back? That didn't seem to happen, :blink: now they are building a new stadium in MN.

Very true, but the fact that so few games are in TO is inevitably going to heighten demand. It's an uncommon, special event, people are going to flock to it because there's a sense that it's a there-and-gone affair.

I don't know where you got that from, but they had a hard time giving tickets away for that game in Toronto.

Scalpers were charging half-price in some cases and Rogers ended up giving pairs of tickets to people who switched to Rogers cable in the month or so leading up to the game.

They priced themselves out with $100 tickets for upper-deck seats.

I forgot about that, isn't Nascar getting fairly popular now? I know that since no one got money right now that less and less are going to the races but every sport has seen less people show up.

They are losing a lot of money in sponsorships and marketing as well as the lower attendence. A lot of these teams are laying people off or eliminating spots altogether. The engineering and technology provided by the automakers is dwindling rapidly. That is why a lot of the smaller tier teams just aren't as competive as they once were.

More than likely Nascar won't be able to continue in it's current bloated form. Personally think that they will need to limit the number of cars per team further (Really? Only allowing 4 cars? why so few? :rolleyes:) to say 2 per team, that or expect less teams over all to be available to run the series, and therefore having to shrink the field down.

Really the economy has hurt the American LeMans Series more, teams can't afford to race in the US and Europe, so this years field for everything but maybe Sebring/Petite/Laguna will be around 22 cars, and that is only cause they bumped up some teams from the Porsche Cup support race to run the new ALMS-C class.

More than likely Nascar won't be able to continue in it's current bloated form. Personally think that they will need to limit the number of cars per team further (Really? Only allowing 4 cars? why so few? :rolleyes:) to say 2 per team, that or expect less teams over all to be available to run the series, and therefore having to shrink the field down.

Really the economy has hurt the American LeMans Series more, teams can't afford to race in the US and Europe, so this years field for everything but maybe Sebring/Petite/Laguna will be around 22 cars, and that is only cause they bumped up some teams from the Porsche Cup support race to run the new ALMS-C class.

NASCAR is for "Red Necks" not "Red Wings"... Silly...

NASCAR is for "Red Necks" not "Red Wings"... Silly...

26-wings-lowes1.jpg

on%20track%20winged%20wheel.jpg

Anyway, I don't follow NASCAR more than perfunctorily, but follow Sportscar Endurance racing and Formula One regularly, and the economy has hurt all of them hard.

Also Nascar's fame has been waining in the last 5yrs or so, since it's become even more than normal advertising first racing second.

I could understand argument that auto racing somehow contribute to the gas prices. I suspect that amount of gas all racing cars use is rather minuscule compared to all the cars people use every day.

I just hope that NASCAR goes away from TV. There has to be a better way to fill TV schedule over weekend.

Anyway, I don't follow NASCAR more than perfunctorily, but follow Sportscar Endurance racing and Formula One regularly, and the economy has hurt all of them hard.

Formula One has not been the same since early nineties. Economy did hurt it but also races have been lacking excitement for a while.

Formula One has not been the same since early nineties. Economy did hurt it but also races have been lacking excitement for a while.

How can a race have or lack excitement? They're all identical. Cars go round a loop, someone (usually 1 of 5 people or so) always finishes first. I can't imagine there's a whole lot of room for drama there, unless there's drama over an injury or something.

I think the only thing you'll see in NASCAR is the end of either the Truck or Nationwide Series. There's still alot of support to keep the Sprint Cup going for the foreseeable future.

As far as the Tigers go, they're not going anywhere.

Whoever wrote this is a moron... The Tigers are still in the top half of attendance this year in the MLB. Currently, they are 11th in average attendance. Nearly every single team is having attendance troubles this year compared to last year.