• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AD2044

2010 Team Canada

Rate this topic

In light of all he PA scuttlebutt of players not participaing in on ice workouts with their countries it got me thinking of who I think will make Tema Canada.

Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley

Lecavalier-Staal-St. Louis

Iginla-Crosby-Gagne

Cleary-M Richards-Doan

ex Toews

Pronger-Neidermayer

Weber-Bouwmeester

Keith-Regehr

ex Phanuef

Broduer

Luongo

Ward

Taxi Squad

Burns

Green

Carter

Love to hear anyone's thoughts on who they think will make the team.

In light of all he PA scuttlebutt of players not participaing in on ice workouts with their countries it got me thinking of who I think will make Tema Canada.

Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley

Iginla-Crosby-Gagne

Cleary-M Richards-Doan

ex Toews

Pronger-Neidermayer

Weber-Bouwmeester

Keith-Regehr

ex Phanuef

Broduer

Luongo

Ward

Taxi Squad

Burns

Green

Carter

Like it or not, Crosby will be the no.1 center... and Toews makes the team before Cleary.

So many interchangeable parts on this team, hard to go wrong with any line combinations.

Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley

Iginla-Crosby-Gagne

Cleary-M Richards-Doan

ex Toews

Pronger-Neidermayer

Weber-Bouwmeester

Keith-Regehr

ex Phanuef

Broduer

Luongo

Ward

Taxi Squad

Burns

Green

Carter

Nice Line up but I have to believe that team Russia and team Sweden are the favs in up coming olympics, don't get me wrong I would love to see both of the North American teams in it for the gold ( Canada and USA)

i'm Canadian....BUT i'm also a DIE HARD WINGS FAN....I HATE cindy crosby and i hope he gets injured and can't play in the olympics. I wont feel good about cheering him on. If worse comes to worse i'm going to put my support behind Team Sweden!

Cleary? No way... I think he should be honoured to be invited but that's as far as that goes.

Lecavalier - Crosby - Iginla

Heatley - Getzlaf - Nash

E. Staal - Thornton - Doan

Lucic - M. Richards - Morrow

(J. Carter)

Pronger - Niedermayer

Bouwmeester - Weber

Keith - Phaneuf

(M. Green)

Luongo

Brodeur

(S. Mason)

That is my ideal top 12 forwards, incredible size and skill, plenty of scoring and leadership, great checking/energy line. Lucic is a longshot but I have him there because when Canada ends up losing in international competition it's usually because they get away from playing the Canadian brand of hockey, Lucic doesn't know how to stray away from that because that's all he knows how. Lucic, Richards, and Morrow IMO would be the most intimidating line in the league and they can all contribute offense as well. Jeff Carter is my "sub" but could be inserted into the line up anywhere if for some reason scoring goes dry. I think D is pretty straight forward, Green is the #7 much like Carter, he doesn't provide much besides offense so he's always an option if we need to insert him into the line up.

I'd play Luongo over Brodeur but wouldn't be surprised to see Brodeur started either. 3rd string isn't playing anyways so I'd bring the young Steve Mason and let him grow accustomed to the Olympics and Team Canada.... if he does have to play he's not half bad anyways.

Hopefully for their sake they learned their lesson from the last Olympics, namely that speed wins in the Olympics.

With that said, the 2002 team didn't have much speed, but since then the other nations have gotten significantly stronger.

Edited by GMRwings1983

How vital to Detroit`s success are guys like Helm and Cleary?

So often when making these lineups, we just want to shoehorn every superstar into the lineup and form an all star team. I think success goes deeper than that. Much deeper. I say, add Cleary and Helm. I know, saying Helm should make team Canada will turn some people into raging flame emitters, but think about it. Put them on a line with Iginla or Doan and watch that line take over games. Other countries won`t have the line matchups to go toe to toe with that line. No way at all. And if Helm seems like a crazy pick....why? I can only imagine a logical reason being that hes young and inexperienced but hes forced his way onto the best team in the league and the closest thing to an all star team the NHL has in one city. He doesn`t make game changing mistakes and is in fact, damn clutch. We all have seen what Helm can do. He won over Don Cherry for f***s sake.

I think this is why Canada usually ahs a top to bottom lineup that looks unbeatable but doesn`t come away with as many championships as you would think. For a country so preoccupied with grinders and smash mouth hockey, we at Olympic time just load up on every scorer we can and are happy that some of them are kinda big and physical. We as Wings fans after the last two seasons should know the importance of matchups and grit and third or fourth line intensity. Helm and Cleary are so valuable to every playoff run we make and I think they would be just as valuable to an Olympic team roster. When every opponent line is a finesse, scoring first line, you run into the problem of having too many captains and not enough soldiers. We as Wings fans should also know about that. This roster isnt about reputation like so many others-its about winning. I like Helm for obvious reasons and Cleary for his grit, and defensive play. And its a sad reality that if we filled Canada with nothing but the typical players, half the team would be f***in lazy or wouldn`t play defense. And yes, I do believe that matters just as much for the Olympics.

Here are my lines.

Nash-Crosby-Iginla

Heatley-Spezza-Staal

Lecalvier-Thornton-St. Louis

Doan-Helm-Cleary

ex Savard

I only put Crosby first because Getzlaf isnt going. I dont trust Crosby under pressure. Not for the status we give him. I think Nash and Iginla would make him look great no matter what though as both are top notch shooters and he`s probably the third best passer in the game behind Thornton and obviously Pav. The third line I like because of chemistry, size and speed. They`re all good shooters and passers as well, and chemistry is the most important aspect. In a tournament where there wont be as much of it as usual, its important to take what you can. Its always the biggest thing holding back teams like this. Same with the second line. Spezza and Heatley are long time teammates and that counts for quite a bit in a tournament like this. Add Stall who showed me he can come through under pressure and that line is money. The fourth line I think would be able to do everything but most importantly, for the ice time they`d get, they`d terrorize opposing lines who will almost always be soft finesse lines. A grind line here is of the utmost importance. It was so tough leaving off Jeff Carter and Milke Cammalleri too. As for defense...

Pronger-Neidermayer

Weber-Bouwmeester

Keith-Wideman

Whoever put Regehr is high. That man is overrated, I don`t care what the general consensus thinks. He`s just the sexy pick right now. And I onl put Neidermayer where I did because of chemistry with Pronger. Weber and Bouw are both so underrated its sick. That will be the best pair for Canada if theyre together. I chose Wideman because of his consistency. Just always in the right place, never makes too many mistakes and sweeps up rebounds like a motherf***er. No Mike Green either. You have to be at least competent in your own end to make my Canada roster. As for goalie...

Chris Osgood. I wont bother picking 3 goalies because I dont see a point-once we get into the serious games, one guy will play and the others will see the bench. They`ll never see ice time short of an injury so f*** it. Brodeur and Luongo are going anyway but I wouldn`t trust them with playing net for Canada in a true pressure situation. Chris Osgood has shown me that under pressure, real Cup calibre perssure, he is up there with the all time greats. Brodeur only won Olympic gold playing against a weak USA team and Luongo hasn`t proven s*** to me yet. He carries Vancouver but he didn`t carry a team to the finals two years in a row. It`ll start national riots of the overrated national hero doesn`t start or at least Luongo but f*** that, I`m about winning and not choking. Period.

Ozzy has proven he can be more clutch than anyone else playing today. Ozzy has in the face of one of the worst reg season performances he`s ever had. He turned me from someoen who thought we would lose in the first round because of him, into a believer. He should`ve won another Cup this year too if it wasn`t for the league wanting to give Pitt a title. Anything less than Chris Osgood in net will have me nervous every game, wondering when one of our megaheros will f*** the game up on an easily saveable shot.

I never thought anything would make me question Stevie Y, but the decision to not even include him in the invites and instead picks A ******* ROOKIE over Ozzy? Smh....f*** that. Is he just concerned with not looking like a homer? I thought that only happened on LGW...

Edited by numberthirtynine

How vital to Detroit`s success are guys like Helm and Cleary?

So often when making these lineups, we just want to shoehorn every superstar into the lineup and form an all star team. I think success goes deeper than that. Much deeper. I say, add Cleary and Helm. I know, saying Helm should make team Canada will turn some people into raging flame emitters, but think about it. Put them on a line with Iginla or Doan and watch that line take over games. Other countries won`t have the line matchups to go toe to toe with that line. No way at all. And if Helm seems like a crazy pick....why? I can only imagine a logical reason being that hes young and inexperienced but hes forced his way onto the best team in the league and the closest thing to an all star team the NHL has in one city. He doesn`t make game changing mistakes and is in fact, damn clutch. We all have seen what Helm can do. He won over Don Cherry for f***s sake.

I think this is why Canada usually ahs a top to bottom lineup that looks unbeatable but doesn`t come away with as many championships as you would think. For a country so preoccupied with grinders and smash mouth hockey, we at Olympic time just load up on every scorer we can and are happy that some of them are kinda big and physical. We as Wings fans after the last two seasons should know the importance of matchups and grit and third or fourth line intensity. Helm and Cleary are so valuable to every playoff run we make and I think they would be just as valuable to an Olympic team roster. When every opponent line is a finesse, scoring first line, you run into the problem of having too many captains and not enough soldiers. We as Wings fans should also know about that. This roster isnt about reputation like so many others-its about winning. I like Helm for obvious reasons and Cleary for his grit, and defensive play. And its a sad reality that if we filled Canada with nothing but the typical players, half the team would be f***in lazy or wouldn`t play defense. And yes, I do believe that matters just as much for the Olympics.

Here are my lines.

Nash-Crosby-Iginla

Heatley-Spezza-Staal

Lecalvier-Thornton-St. Louis

Doan-Helm-Cleary

ex Savard

I only put Crosby first because Getzlaf isnt going. I dont trust Crosby under pressure. Not for the status we give him. I think Nash and Iginla would make him look great no matter what though as both are top notch shooters and he`s probably the third best passer in the game behind Thornton and obviously Pav. The third line I like because of chemistry, size and speed. They`re all good shooters and passers as well, and chemistry is the most important aspect. In a tournament where there wont be as much of it as usual, its important to take what you can. Its always the biggest thing holding back teams like this. Same with the second line. Spezza and Heatley are long time teammates and that counts for quite a bit in a tournament like this. Add Stall who showed me he can come through under pressure and that line is money. The fourth line I think would be able to do everything but most importantly, for the ice time they`d get, they`d terrorize opposing lines who will almost always be soft finesse lines. A grind line here is of the utmost importance. It was so tough leaving off Jeff Carter and Milke Cammalleri too. As for defense...

Pronger-Neidermayer

Weber-Bouwmeester

Keith-Wideman

Whoever put Regehr is high. That man is overrated, I don`t care what the general consensus thinks. He`s just the sexy pick right now. And I onl put Neidermayer where I did because of chemistry with Pronger. Weber and Bouw are both so underrated its sick. That will be the best pair for Canada if theyre together. I chose Wideman because of his consistency. Just always in the right place, never makes too many mistakes and sweeps up rebounds like a motherf***er. No Mike Green either. You have to be at least competent in your own end to make my Canada roster. As for goalie...

Chris Osgood. I wont bother picking 3 goalies because I dont see a point-once we get into the serious games, one guy will play and the others will see the bench. They`ll never see ice time short of an injury so f*** it. Brodeur and Luongo are going anyway but I wouldn`t trust them with playing net for Canada in a true pressure situation. Chris Osgood has shown me that under pressure, real Cup calibre perssure, he is up there with the all time greats. Brodeur only won Olympic gold playing against a weak USA team and Luongo hasn`t proven s*** to me yet. He carries Vancouver but he didn`t carry a team to the finals two years in a row. It`ll start national riots of the overrated national hero doesn`t start or at least Luongo but f*** that, I`m about winning and not choking. Period.

Ozzy has proven he can be more clutch than anyone else playing today. Ozzy has in the face of one of the worst reg season performances he`s ever had. He turned me from someoen who thought we would lose in the first round because of him, into a believer. He should`ve won another Cup this year too if it wasn`t for the league wanting to give Pitt a title. Anything less than Chris Osgood in net will have me nervous every game, wondering when one of our megaheros will f*** the game up on an easily saveable shot.

I never thought anything would make me question Stevie Y, but the decision to not even include him in the invites and instead picks A ******* ROOKIE over Ozzy? Smh....f*** that. Is he just concerned with not looking like a homer? I thought that only happened on LGW...

well Helm wasn't even invited and to be honest he'd probably do well but that's just not going to happen until he makes a bigger splash in the NHL

and you say the problem is having too many captains and not enough soldiers, I agree, but look at the guys Canada has on their bottom 6, Shane Doan, Brendan Morrow, Mike Richards, Milan Lucic possibly, there's your soldiers

I know watching Helm 2 playoffs in a row almost everyone was in awe of his play and he was a pleasant surprise, but fans in Philly get to see that year round from Mike Richards but on top of that energetic, hit on sight style of play he also has point/game scoring ability, hits to hurt, and was a runner up for the Selke, that's who Helm would be competing against on the 4th line centerman position...

I say, add Cleary and Helm.

As for goalie...

Chris Osgood.

True Wings fan at least.

Cleary is borderline. Helm is laughable. He isn't very good. He's fast, has shown a decent work ethic, and a willingness to hit (though rarely seems to do much damage). He's not very good defensively, and piss poor offensively. Maybe, hopefully even, his game will develop enough to be worthy of the next Olympics, but he's not even close right now.

And Getz is only skipping the camp. He'll play in the Olympics for sure (unless he's hurt of course).

The exclusion of Ozzie puzzled me a bit too. Maybe and age thing? I can see Broduer and Luongo being above him, but Ward, Fluery, Mason , etc certainly aren't so much better that Ozzie doesn't deserve an invite.

i'm Canadian....BUT i'm also a DIE HARD WINGS FAN....I HATE cindy crosby and i hope he gets injured and can't play in the olympics. I wont feel good about cheering him on. If worse comes to worse i'm going to put my support behind Team Sweden!

:thumbup:

We need more fans like you in this world..

Thornton will be there, son. Poor guy isn't even on your taxi squad... And yeah, I think for the grinding forwards, they'll pick Lucic before Cleary, and rightfully so.

My most recent roster

Lecavalier - Crosby - Iginla[A]

Nash- Getzlaf- Heatley

Gagne - Richards[A] -Doan

Staal - Thornton - St. Louis

taxi: Savard, Spezza

Bouwmeester - Weber

Niedermayer[C] - Keith

Boyle - Burns/Phaneuf

Taxi: Phaneuf/Burns (whoever is playing better, Phaneuf has been in steady decline and Burns is coming off injury)

Luongo

Brodeur

taxi: Ward

EDIT: St. Louis is probably going to be there, Took out Morrow because I don't think he'll regain his form on time

Edited by T-Ruff

My most recent roster

Lecavalier - Crosby - Iginla[C]

Nash- Getzlaf- Heatley

Bouwmeester - Weber

Niedermayer - Keith

Boyle[A] - Burns/Phaneuf

Taxi: Phaneuf/Burns (whoever is playing better, Phaneuf has been in steady decline and Burns is coming off injury)

Luongo

Brodeur

EDIT: St. Louis is probably going to be there, Took out Morrow because I don't think he'll regain his form on time

Savard and Spezza aren't even invited to camp... It's kind of retarded, but true.

True Wings fan at least.

Cleary is borderline. Helm is laughable. He isn't very good. He's fast, has shown a decent work ethic, and a willingness to hit (though rarely seems to do much damage).

......smh. ok 1) did you even read all of what i said? and helm has a "decent work ethic" is probably the stupidest f***in thing i've read here in years. and that's saying something considering this place is facepalm central. the guy is the most energetic, hard working player i have ever seen, and odds are i've been watching hockey before most people here were s***ting in diapers. but i expected comments like this. no unique ideas allowed! the team must be 4 lines of scoring all stars! no grit! and don't give me lucic, thats f***in lolz

He's not very good defensively, and piss poor offensively.

he's not bad defensively. and again did you even read my whole post? read it again.

The exclusion of Ozzie puzzled me a bit too. Maybe and age thing? I can see Broduer and Luongo being above him, but Ward, Fluery, Mason , etc certainly aren't so much better that Ozzie doesn't deserve an invite.

marty and luo are above him because of their last names and certainly not their recent play

other countries don't do this and hence, why they win. probably just the result of having something vastly different than the dumbs*** canadian media. the fact ozzy was excluded doesn't assure me that helm was excluded for a good reason. it's always just about the name on the back of the jersey. i can feel confident in saying if we didn't have a line like helms, with helm leading it, we wouldn't have made it to the finals or won the cup before that(nevermind his GWG). you can have all the scorers in the world, someone will beat you eventually because teams like russia and sweden also have scorers just as good now. canada needs to turn to the one player that more than anyone else, exemplifies and is canadian hockey to a tee. and every sissy finesse forward wil get their f***in heads rattled and more than that, their psyche rattled, because no one expects that in the olympics. it's a hell of a lot less intense than the cup playoffs, and feels more like an all star setting. there's more hitting obviously but the kind of stuff helm brings is most definitely not there. i say, bring it. and i tried to think of a superstar forward who would but i couldn't. like i said, i've never seen a guy do what helm does so consistently.

and mike richards, brendan morror and these days even shane doan ain't no f***in soldiers. hell, you know what? i'd even leave dan cleary home and take helm on the team. cleary can at least be replaced by a guy like doan or something. cleary is grittier but the difference isnt' enough to warrant a spot. but helm? no one can do what he does. lucic makes it because he plays a season? f*** that, if any other gm was running this team i'd say ok, fine, but stevie y knows damn well what helm can do on a consistent basis. lucic is a grinder and a very good one but he can't dow hat helm does. he may score more, but helm plays like he's high on speed. canada would be wise to use this to their advantage. it's not about how much he would score, it's about the kind of unprecedented headaches he'd give every other national team. siht, imagine lucic and helm on a line together?

and no one will be able to fight fire with fire. yeah, what are they gonna do? just send out a different scoring line? they're MADE to play against scoring lines and give them fits. it'd be perfect. but alas, we just go by last name.

it's not about just wanting red wings, if your lazy asses would actually read for once you'd see that.

My most recent roster

Lecavalier - Crosby - Iginla[C]

Nash- Getzlaf- Heatley

Bouwmeester - Weber

Niedermayer - Keith

Boyle[A] - Burns/Phaneuf

Luongo

Brodeur

Oh, and I slightly understand giving the captaincy to Iggy and Richards, but Boyle? Yikes... Niedermayer is the one likely to be the other assistant, hell he may even be captain. I honestly think Boyle is the least likely to get the "A" on the team.

The roster will look something like this (not making up lines, just listing the forwards, defensemen, and goalies)...

Forwards

Crosby

Iginla

Heatley

Thornton

Toews

M. Richards

Lecavalier

Nash

Getzlaf

E. Staal

Doan

Lucic

Defense

Bouwmeester

Pronger

Niedermayer

Weber

Keith

Boyle

Phaneuf

Goalies

Brodeur

Luongo

Fleury

Phaneuf should play for team Canada when about 7-8 other NHL defenseman disappear into thin air. If he makes the team, I know Stevie's just going off of rep.

Let him work on his horrendous positioning on the Flames, not where it actually matters.

Savard and Spezza aren't even invited to camp... It's kind of retarded, but true.

Spezza is going to camp for Getzlaf... and correct me if I'm wrong but I think not being invited to camp doesn't necessarily mean you won't be on the team. If a player plays himself on to the radar during the season I'm sure he'll still get some consideration....

Oh, and I slightly understand giving the captaincy to Iggy and Richards, but Boyle? Yikes... Niedermayer is the one likely to be the other assistant, hell he may even be captain. I honestly think Boyle is the least likely to get the "A" on the team.

Oops that was copied and pasted from an earlier roster that Niedermayer wasn't part of (because I thought he'd retire)

my updated post has:

Niedermayer C

Iginla A

Richards A

Boyle had the "A" previously simply because he was the most veteran guy on D

Edited by T-Ruff

......smh. ok 1) did you even read all of what i said? and helm has a "decent work ethic" is probably the stupidest f***in thing i've read here in years. and that's saying something considering this place is facepalm central. the guy is the most energetic, hard working player i have ever seen, and odds are i've been watching hockey before most people here were s***ting in diapers. but i expected comments like this. no unique ideas allowed! the team must be 4 lines of scoring all stars! no grit! and don't give me lucic, thats f***in lolz

he's not bad defensively. and again did you even read my whole post? read it again.

marty and luo are above him because of their last names and certainly not their recent play

other countries don't do this and hence, why they win. probably just the result of having something vastly different than the dumbs*** canadian media. the fact ozzy was excluded doesn't assure me that helm was excluded for a good reason. it's always just about the name on the back of the jersey. i can feel confident in saying if we didn't have a line like helms, with helm leading it, we wouldn't have made it to the finals or won the cup before that(nevermind his GWG). you can have all the scorers in the world, someone will beat you eventually because teams like russia and sweden also have scorers just as good now. canada needs to turn to the one player that more than anyone else, exemplifies and is canadian hockey to a tee. and every sissy finesse forward wil get their f***in heads rattled and more than that, their psyche rattled, because no one expects that in the olympics. it's a hell of a lot less intense than the cup playoffs, and feels more like an all star setting. there's more hitting obviously but the kind of stuff helm brings is most definitely not there. i say, bring it. and i tried to think of a superstar forward who would but i couldn't. like i said, i've never seen a guy do what helm does so consistently.

and mike richards, brendan morror and these days even shane doan ain't no f***in soldiers. hell, you know what? i'd even leave dan cleary home and take helm on the team. cleary can at least be replaced by a guy like doan or something. cleary is grittier but the difference isnt' enough to warrant a spot. but helm? no one can do what he does. lucic makes it because he plays a season? f*** that, if any other gm was running this team i'd say ok, fine, but stevie y knows damn well what helm can do on a consistent basis. lucic is a grinder and a very good one but he can't dow hat helm does. he may score more, but helm plays like he's high on speed. canada would be wise to use this to their advantage. it's not about how much he would score, it's about the kind of unprecedented headaches he'd give every other national team. siht, imagine lucic and helm on a line together?

and no one will be able to fight fire with fire. yeah, what are they gonna do? just send out a different scoring line? they're MADE to play against scoring lines and give them fits. it'd be perfect. but alas, we just go by last name.

it's not about just wanting red wings, if your lazy asses would actually read for once you'd see that.

raging newbie coming through people, make room