85 replies to this topic

#41 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (Z and D for the C @ July 21, 2009 - 10:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are players not allowed to sign contracts unless they have a 100% clean bill of health after a physical? Or could it be possible that Chitown knew about the injury but wanted to sign him anyway. Even if he still is out the first half of the season, he's got 1..5 years left on his contract to make it worthwhile.

I imagine it's a risk/reward type of thing and is based heavily on the opinion of the team physician(s). I don't think it's mandated that they can't sign a contract without a 100% clean bill of health, though, I assume that's something that individual teams would police effectively on their own.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#42 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ July 22, 2009 - 01:04AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I imagine it's a risk/reward type of thing and is based heavily on the opinion of the team physician(s). I don't think it's mandated that they can't sign a contract without a 100% clean bill of health, though, I assume that's something that individual teams would police effectively on their own.

Then why do you preach about not being 100% sure if it happened during the playoffs yet you act certain that he passed his physical?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#43 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (Z and D for the C @ July 21, 2009 - 11:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then why do you preach about not being 100% sure if it happened during the playoffs yet you act certain that he passed his physical?

I didn't act certain he passed his physical. What are the parameters of passing? That he's 100% healthy? Very unlikely for a 30 year old professional athlete-- there's bound to be some distant injury that's nagging him, even lightly, or at least slightly more likely to resurface than with a fresh-faced teen. No, he's clearly going to be evaluated based on what they expect and what would significantly hurt his play. Is he injured? How much? What's the long term prognosis? Are the Blackhawks willing to accept this prognosis? I never acted as if I knew the answer to those questions. I clearly believe that this situation isn't a surprise to the Hawks front office, I expect they did their due diligence. I have a hard time believing they didn't go over him with a fine toothed comb before signing him to a 12 year contract.

How can anyone with the information we currently have be 100% sure his injury occurred during the playoffs? A crystal ball? I believe it's highly probable this injury either arose during or just before the playoffs, based on logic and strong anecdotal evidence.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#44 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:33 AM

I've said many times before that Hossa was at the very least roughed up pretty bad in the playoffs. He took a few hits in the first couple rounds that clearly left him in a lot of pain as he struggled to skate off the ice. There was one in particular from Pronger I believe where Hossa was held up by another guy behind the net that was particularly brutal not to mention cheap and that came after all the other major hits I remember. I was thinking then that there's no way this guy can be even close to 100% out there after taking that many huge hits. And that was well before the finals and even semi's when everyone was crying about his production. And on top of that, he had a couple rough incidents towards the end of the season.

And why is it that he took those hits? He was the target. Why? Because the guy is one of the most potent scorers in the game. And because of that he got ran more times than any Wings player in the first couple rounds. Lots of guys took some hard hits, but Hossa took numerous brutal hits, some cheaper than others. I couldn't believe he even skated off after some of them.

I'm not surprised at all to see this and it doesn't color my opinion. I still think Hossa was a great asset to this team and is a great asset to any team, injury or not; he'll heal. In terms of the playoffs this last year, I think along with injuries, pressure and then pressing too much towards the end he just struggled to score like he did in the regular season. But he was still strong for us in our end and 6 goals and 15 points isn't exactly the worst he could've done in terms of output. While Hossa may not have done as much as we would have liked, we probably wouldn't have gotten near as far without him if we had all the same injuries. Even when he was pressing and not scoring, he was creating pressure in their end, wearing guys out and helping on D.

We lost as a team because we were just too beat up as a team. It happens. It sucks, but it happens. We probably got farther than we ever should have considering all of the injuries this team had. Continuing to single guys out is silly. The reality is, we came up 2 goals short in Game 7 despite it all. That's still something worth being proud of and worth remembering.

And we'll be back...

-Elliot

#45 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ July 22, 2009 - 01:26AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't act certain he passed his physical. What are the parameters of passing? That he's 100% healthy? Very unlikely for a 30 year old professional athlete-- there's bound to be some distant injury that's nagging him, even lightly, or at least slightly more likely to resurface than with a fresh-faced teen. No, he's clearly going to be evaluated based on what they expect and what would significantly hurt his play. Is he injured? How much? What's the long term prognosis? Are the Blackhawks willing to accept this prognosis? I never acted as if I knew the answer to those questions. I clearly believe that this situation isn't a surprise to the Hawks front office, I expect they did their due diligence. I have a hard time believing they didn't go over him with a fine toothed comb before signing him to a 12 year contract.

How can anyone with the information we currently have be 100% sure his injury occurred during the playoffs? A crystal ball? I believe it's highly probable this injury either arose during or just before the playoffs, based on logic and strong anecdotal evidence.

Nevermind, it was heaton who said he passed his physical.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#46 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:35 AM

Big deal. If he's out he'll go on LTIR.

#47 yakub

yakub

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE (skacore @ July 21, 2009 - 10:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea potential two-way power forward who could get like 30-40 goals easily and can fight

Lol. Ya he's a terrific fighter. Most of the greats get their cheek broken by old men like Beauchemin. Kopecky will not amount to much. I'm sure you also predicted Jason Williams would be a 30-40 goal scorer when he left.

#48 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:56 AM

Ooh! Penguins were so lucky! Datsyuk, Lidström, Cleary, Holmström, Rafalski, Lilja, Kopecky. Not fair, give us Red Wings the Cup back.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#49 p_diddy_datsyuk_13

p_diddy_datsyuk_13

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

Eklund is reporting that Marian Hossa suffered a shoulder, thought to be a rotator cuff, injury during the playoffs, explaining how terrible he was.

Hockey Buzz

Edited by p_diddy_datsyuk_13, 22 July 2009 - 07:23 AM.

#50 swiss_redwingfan

swiss_redwingfan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:25 AM

what is a rotator cuff injury?! please explain me that! sounds like a Pink Floyd Song ;-)

Edited by swiss_redwingfan, 22 July 2009 - 07:26 AM.

#51 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:26 AM

lololol i hope eklund is right..
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#52 Phazon

Phazon

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

no does not explain how terrible was as everyone is injured during playoffs.

#53 zata20

zata20

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:32 AM

Even if he was injured, that isn't an excuse to why he played so poorly. Talbot had to have shoulder surgery this offseason and look how big he played when it counted.

#54 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (gcom007 @ July 22, 2009 - 01:33AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've said many times before that Hossa was at the very least roughed up pretty bad in the playoffs. He took a few hits in the first couple rounds that clearly left him in a lot of pain as he struggled to skate off the ice. There was one in particular from Pronger I believe where Hossa was held up by another guy behind the net that was particularly brutal not to mention cheap and that came after all the other major hits I remember. I was thinking then that there's no way this guy can be even close to 100% out there after taking that many huge hits. And that was well before the finals and even semi's when everyone was crying about his production. And on top of that, he had a couple rough incidents towards the end of the season.

And why is it that he took those hits? He was the target. Why? Because the guy is one of the most potent scorers in the game. And because of that he got ran more times than any Wings player in the first couple rounds. Lots of guys took some hard hits, but Hossa took numerous brutal hits, some cheaper than others. I couldn't believe he even skated off after some of them.

I'm not surprised at all to see this and it doesn't color my opinion. I still think Hossa was a great asset to this team and is a great asset to any team, injury or not; he'll heal. In terms of the playoffs this last year, I think along with injuries, pressure and then pressing too much towards the end he just struggled to score like he did in the regular season. But he was still strong for us in our end and 6 goals and 15 points isn't exactly the worst he could've done in terms of output. While Hossa may not have done as much as we would have liked, we probably wouldn't have gotten near as far without him if we had all the same injuries. Even when he was pressing and not scoring, he was creating pressure in their end, wearing guys out and helping on D.

We lost as a team because we were just too beat up as a team. It happens. It sucks, but it happens. We probably got farther than we ever should have considering all of the injuries this team had. Continuing to single guys out is silly. The reality is, we came up 2 goals short in Game 7 despite it all. That's still something worth being proud of and worth remembering.

And we'll be back...

Right on man.

As for Hossa I always thought something was wrong. As you said there were a few times after a hit he skated right off the ice. I believe game 2 against the Ducks it happened for sure.

EK makes a good point in his blog about Hossa getting a physical. "Before they agreed to the deal on July 1?" It never happened until after he signed. If I was the Hawks I would say have surgery and we'll deal with it until December. Cause what if he plays on it and then in Jan or Feb he hurts it badly and he's done for the year? The Daily Hearld blog I saw some saying it was Tallon's fault. Well if McDonough wasn't pushing to sign Hossa then it wouldn't have been a big deal.

#55 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (zata20 @ July 22, 2009 - 07:32AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if he was injured, that isn't an excuse to why he played so poorly. Talbot had to have shoulder surgery this offseason and look how big he played when it counted.

That's 'cause Talbot is Canadian wink.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#56 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:52 AM

So why did it take this long for this to come out?
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#57 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

its a cover up .. he actually did it snowboarding right before he signed his new contract
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#58 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ July 21, 2009 - 11:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flip: You are the one acting like a child. Accusing me of things I never did, screaming and carrying on in all caps, insulting other posters, and refusing to address the fact you do not have proof, but speculation. We are aware he is injured, and we have a good idea of what the injury is. I never said he wasn't. You however do not know for a fact when the injury took place.

You'll have that with Flip. Every thread I've ever seen this guy on, he's screaming and carrying on and attacking other posters. Its what he does.

As for Hossa's injury, this would explain why he played so poorly in the playoffs. Although at that time of year, a lot of players are injured so I don't know if that's a valid excuse.

Edited by xtrememachine1, 22 July 2009 - 08:07 AM.

#59 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

Don't care if he was/is injured. I don't want to hear this information used as an excuse now for this past playoff performance.
Had this been common knowledge in the past, like during the playoffs, when it mattered... maybe there wouldn't have been so much pressure put on him to be our savior. As I'm sure that there was enough self-applied pressure from himself as a player to perform when it mattered most, I'm sure not talking about it probably took a lot extra criticism/sympathy/micro-scope analysis off of Hossa. Maybe a little less micro-scoping of this situation, on a player that maybe can't handle the spotlight, would just let a player play.

(I know it's not the nature of sports, or sports-media, or superstardom... I'm not naive... but sometimes it might be nice.)

All this being said, while I believe that Hossa could have been the difference maker in the series, he wasn't...
and while that sucks, it's over.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#60 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:08 AM

sounds like a attachment for a dremmel.

sig by saran,Thanks