Photo
- - - - -

Do you have Cable or Sat internet /Comcast or Charter?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Snazzy

Snazzy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:50 PM

Hey guys, first let me start off by saying I am no way. Shape. Or form affiliated with Magic jack (internet phone), so please don't think I am trying to sell ya something.. I'm not! In fact I am not even going to post any links. My wife and I went through our bills because times are really tough, so we need to make some cuts on stuff... We have charter high speed internet and it's pretty fast (5 meg). I was thinking about shutting off our landline home phone to save some money since we both have our cell phones. However, we both have big families and talk with people them frequently, so our cell bills will go up due to using more minutes. So I started doing some searching online and found internet phone companies like Skype, Vonage and MagicJack.

Vonage is pricey.

Skype seems really cool. Unlimited calls for $2.95 per month but you have to buy their phone or modem to use it like a land line phone. But I guess you could get a USB phone to work with it, but I didn't feel like waiting for shipping. You can get the stuff at amazon.

MagicJack can be purchased from your local Radio Shack and it has a 30-day return policy if you don't like it. I bought one today for $40 + tax and wow, it works! When you buy it you get one year free service and each year after is $20 per year.. yes I said $20 per year (but who knows if that price will increase next year or not), but still I'll get this year of phone service for a whopping $40 bucks! They don't need your credit card number or anything! You get all the goodies like call waiting and caller ID also...

So, with that, I am happy to announce that we saved about $625 bucks this year. smile.gif

Times are tough right now, so I encourage anyone looking to cut costs right now to run up to your local Radio Shack and pick one up and try it out (it is returnable if you don't like it)... it'll be the best $40 bucks you'll ever spend. Because there is nothing as good of a feeling in life than calling your current phone carrier that is bleeding you to death to.... F-OFF! biggrin.gif

P.S. if you have dial up internet or DSL that attaches to a phone line, don't bother with this, it would defeat the purpose.

Also, the down side to this is you'll need to keep one of your PCs on all the time, because if it is off, it won't work. Vonage I think will work with your PC shut down with the way their modem hooks up...but cost much more. I always leave our computers on. The only time I shut down is to blow the dust out of it.

Might be worth checking out for some people, but not for everyone.
“I do this real moron thing, it's called thinking, and I'm not a very good Amercian because I like to form my own opionions.” -G. Carlin

#2 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:26 AM

Yeah, I've heard alot of good things about Magic Jack, but honestly I don't see a use for it. I use my cell phone for just about everything (7pm nights help), and anything else I use Skype over the computer...the audio quality is so much better than a phone, plus you get video!

I do wonder how the audio quality is in comparison to Skype, though.
IPB Image

#3 Snazzy

Snazzy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (evilmrt @ July 22, 2009 - 02:26AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I've heard alot of good things about Magic Jack, but honestly I don't see a use for it. I use my cell phone for just about everything (7pm nights help), and anything else I use Skype over the computer...the audio quality is so much better than a phone, plus you get video!

I do wonder how the audio quality is in comparison to Skype, though.

Everything I read says Skype is better audio quality. People claim Skype is superior to a land line, would you agree? I would say Magic Jack is about as good as my cell phone, which is good enough for me. We just need the outlet / service to save minutes on our cellulars... Impressive that you can have a phone (that uses any standard phone) yearly for $20.

VoIP is a whole new world that I just encountered, I feel like a kid in a candy store. Lol. Oh, and I am reading that Skype (Philips) offers some really cool DECT 6.0 VOIPhones that are just... amazing and you don't need your PC on! I love technology.
“I do this real moron thing, it's called thinking, and I'm not a very good Amercian because I like to form my own opionions.” -G. Carlin

#4 MaynardJKeenan

MaynardJKeenan

I'll..keep...digging...till I.. feel..something

• Gold Booster
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, me and my wife have been using MJ for our home phone for about 6 months now, no complaints. It has a built in answering maching and caller ID ( the caller ID shows up on your comp screen) pretty cool for 20 bucks. We use our cell phones most of the time, free after 7 and on the weekends, but when we need to use the land line, MJ is great to have.

Edited by MaynardJKeenan, 23 July 2009 - 10:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users