Sign in to follow this  
zata20

Wings Re-sign Oulahen & McGrath

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...wards_evan.html

Red Wings re-sign forwards Evan McGrath, Ryan Oulahen to one-year contracts

by Ansar Khan

Wednesday July 22, 2009, 4:42 PM

The Wings have re-signed forwards Evan McGrath and Ryan Oulahen to one-year contracts.

McGrath, 23, spent the last three seasons with Grand Rapids (AHL), posting a career-high 47 points in 68 games this past season. He was Detroit's fourth-round pick (128th overall) in the 2004 entry draft.

Oulahen, 24, had a career-high 31 points in 73 games during his fourth season with Grand Rapids. He was drafted by the Wings in the fifth round (164th overall) in 2003.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...wards_evan.html

Red Wings re-sign forwards Evan McGrath, Ryan Oulahen to one-year contracts

by Ansar Khan

Wednesday July 22, 2009, 4:42 PM

The Wings have re-signed forwards Evan McGrath and Ryan Oulahen to one-year contracts.

McGrath, 23, spent the last three seasons with Grand Rapids (AHL), posting a career-high 47 points in 68 games this past season. He was Detroit's fourth-round pick (128th overall) in the 2004 entry draft.

Oulahen, 24, had a career-high 31 points in 73 games during his fourth season with Grand Rapids. He was drafted by the Wings in the fifth round (164th overall) in 2003.

This is good news! It kinda answers a couple of questions in my recent thread too! So, now does Oulahen get a spot up here or does he get waived, he is out of minor league options...

Edited by LeftWinger

This is good news! It kinda answers a couple of questions in my recent thread too! So, now does Oulahen get a spot up here or does he get waived, he is out of minor league options...

I can't picture Detroit signing Oulahen just to waive him.

That's exactly what they did with Oulahen last year-signed him to a one year contract and sent him to GR for the 4th year. Passed through waivers with no problem at that time. However, he had a pretty good year; there could be an NHL team willing to give him a try if Detroit waives him again.

I can't picture Detroit signing Oulahen just to waive him.

I agree that it's probably not likely, but they still could do it. The assumption would be that no one would take him and he'd go down to GR and remain Wings property. But yeah, if they had no intention of at least giving him a shot to earn a spot out of camp they likely wouldn't sign him.

At this point I'd say Oulahen better have the best camp of his life :)

Quincey was already signed and he was given all camp and all of the preseason to show the Wings that he was worth the roster spot.

The Wings signed Quincey to a two-year deal last off-season, it's pretty much the exact same situation as Oulahen.

Both guys will have to clear waivers and frankly I think McGrath will be the more likely one to get snapped up by another team. I love Ryan but McGrath has more upside. I don't think mgmt will be that fussed either way if these guys don't make it through waivers.

I really hope they slot in Oulahen somehow. Even if they only manage to carry him as the 13th forward. I think with the team moving either Lebda or Meech, (I doubt they move Lilja) they'll be able to carry that 13th guy instead of having to call someone up.

McGrath is a natural center, and with Helm and Draper slotted for the 3rd and 4th lines, I don't think he'd have a place to go. If they wanted to move him onto the third line wing (assuming Huds is gone) I guess it could be worth a shot. He hasn't shown anything, IMO, during his stint in the AHL to show he's got much upside.

Ouhlahen is more the type of guy we need right now.

McGrath is a natural center, and with Helm and Draper slotted for the 3rd and 4th lines, I don't think he'd have a place to go. If they wanted to move him onto the third line wing (assuming Huds is gone) I guess it could be worth a shot. He hasn't shown anything, IMO, during his stint in the AHL to show he's got much upside.

McGrath has been in the top 5 in Griff scoring for the last two years and in the top 3 in plus/minus and the best shootout performer....not clear to me what he hasn't shown in GR to deserve a shot at the 3rd line wing role.

McGrath has been in the top 5 in Griff scoring for the last two years and in the top 3 in plus/minus and the best shootout performer....not clear to me what he hasn't shown in GR to deserve a shot at the 3rd line wing role.

And yet he's been a resounding disappointment to the Red Wings' brass. The guy went from 114 points in the OHL to only scoring 14 in the AHL. If anything it's that transition to a higher level of play that worries me. I just don't really know where he fits in? Do you put him on a line with Leino and Helm? Cleary and Helm?

He's improved every year in the AHL, but I still think he's a shadow of what he was supposed to be. I guess if he's going to have a crack at the Red Wings' roster, this is the best possible time. If he comes out and has a great training camp, then fine. I still feel like he's shown nothing in the AHL that merits a spot on the team. Last year was the first year reports on him didn't include the word "disappointing".

And yet he's been a resounding disappointment to the Red Wings' brass. The guy went from 114 points in the OHL to only scoring 14 in the AHL. If anything it's that transition to a higher level of play that worries me. I just don't really know where he fits in? Do you put him on a line with Leino and Helm? Cleary and Helm?

He's improved every year in the AHL, but I still think he's a shadow of what he was supposed to be. I guess if he's going to have a crack at the Red Wings' roster, this is the best possible time. If he comes out and has a great training camp, then fine. I still feel like he's shown nothing in the AHL that merits a spot on the team. Last year was the first year reports on him didn't include the word "disappointing".

Actually it's the second year that it didn't include disappointing. Remembering that he was a 4th round pick what would he need to do to "Show Something". I just think our expectations have been a little out of whack. Mgmt asked him to reconstruct his game and focus on defense which he did and his offense suffered but now he seems to have built the offense back up without sacrificing his own end.

I think we both agree that THIS is the year that you throw him on that third line give him a REAL shot and if he doesn't work you forget about him and move on.

McGrath is a natural center

I've always wondered exactly what this means. Babcock said that both Z and Dats are natural centers, so he split them up. When they were put back together, both their points increased. So what is a natural center?

Actually it's the second year that it didn't include disappointing. Remembering that he was a 4th round pick what would he need to do to "Show Something". I just think our expectations have been a little out of whack. Mgmt asked him to reconstruct his game and focus on defense which he did and his offense suffered but now he seems to have built the offense back up without sacrificing his own end.

I think we both agree that THIS is the year that you throw him on that third line give him a REAL shot and if he doesn't work you forget about him and move on.

How about a line of McGrath-Helm-Holmstrom?

Along with a fourth line of Oulahen-Draper-Maltby?

Not all that much fanfare or excitement, but they could do worse.

I've always wondered exactly what this means. Babcock said that both Z and Dats are natural centers, so he split them up. When they were put back together, both their points increased. So what is a natural center?

I think natural center just means that a player excels at the position. Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg are strong on the face-offs, good at getting back into the defensive zone and covering the middle of the ice at each end. Even when Babcock puts Z and Dats together they often rotate and switch the position. I've seen Datsyuk play it a lot, and then during the playoffs when he was a bit off, Z took over.

I know that they Wings wanted McGrath to focus on the defensive aspects of his game, more than anything so that he could adapt to the Wings' system. If they put him on the left wing of that third line I think he could just focus on his offense and who knows, maybe then he could branch back out. I don't see Babcock removing Helm or Draper from the center position. While Drapes has played some on the wing before, I don't think you bump Helm down to the 4th line for McGrath to be the third line center. If McGrath does make the team, this is the only scenario I could see:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Leino-Filppula-Franzen

McGrath-Helm-Cleary

Maltby-Draper-X/Oulahen

Oulahen

I still hope to see the Wings sign a free agent along the lines of either Grier, Betts or Bell. And I know a lot of people say he's only got one season of AHL play under his belt, but I'd still rather see that third line become:

Abdelkader-Helm-Cleary

The carnage that line could create is too good to pass up for me. Abbie has shown more promise in one AHL season than McGrath has in three, IMO. Either way, I'm still excited to see a full year from Leino, Helm and Ericsson.

How about a line of McGrath-Helm-Holmstrom?

Along with a fourth line of Oulahen-Draper-Maltby?

Not all that much fanfare or excitement, but they could do worse.

i'm a big abby fan...but i wouldn't mind seeing those lines to start the season. lots of speed, that's for sure. it those lines don't pan out, make something happen at the deadline.

hell let everyone on our team be a center for all I care!

Almost everyone has played significant minutes at center at some point in their careers.

Pav

Z

Mule

Fil

Pug (Leino)

Helm

Draper

if you were to add some GR

Abby

McGrath

Oulahen

EDIT: Actually, McGrath apparently started to play better when he got switched to a wing position. And Oulahen is versatile enough to play all three forward positions. So if they do make the roster, then they shouldn't have much problem playing on the wing.

Edited by titanium2

Good news. Hope these guys rock at camp and earn their spots! Home brew player > Open market players. I'd rather see the Wings develop our own players instead of signing the names that has been thrown around on this board the last month and a half.

Good news. Hope these guys rock at camp and earn their spots! Home brew player > Open market players. I'd rather see the Wings develop our own players instead of signing the names that has been thrown around on this board the last month and a half.

I'd still like Grier. But letting the players compete for the spots is fine too. No biggie.

Oulahen is a little more versatile I think, might make a better 13th man option... Other then that I would say go with youth and upside... If one makes the team that is...

I would say that Oulahen has a huge advantage over McGrath, namely that he is a very good penalty killer. According to a report I read on him, he has also 'improved' his hitting, but it is an area which needs work.