• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RusDRW

Cory Emmerton

Rate this topic

I remeber we missed few good players (Latendreese, for example) to select Cory Emmerton at the draft. He was porjected to be a classic Red Wings top six forward - small, soft, excellent skating, and good ice vision. I tried to find something about him and looks like all the reports are more or less pessimistic about his development. Were there any recent news about Cory? Do you think he will meet our expectation? etc.

In terms of his development, it seems as if he's doing just ok, which is fine. The Wings don't really need him for a while. So at this point, my impression is that... It could be worse. The names Grigorenko and Ryno come to mind.

Where did you hear that he has excellent skating? I've never ever heard that about him. It's always "average" or worse.

Guest mindfly

Ryno will play in GR this year though, his final attempt in north america i think :P could be buzz or bust or how you say it :P

Ryno will play in GR this year though, his final attempt in north america i think :P could be buzz or bust or how you say it :P

It will be interesting to see how he and possibly Dickie A. do in GR.

Boom or bust :)

/Where did you hear that he has excellent skating? I've never ever heard that about him. It's always "average" or worse.

I could be wrong about his skating. At least he is "strong on his skates" according to most reports. For some reason I thought about him as the next coming of Steve :) I guess I'm wrong now...

I could be wrong about his skating. At least he is "strong on his skates" according to most reports. For some reason I thought about him as the next coming of Steve :) I guess I'm wrong now...

I think the Wings might have drafted Stevie Y junior this year... Look at Ferraro's bio... 5'11" 167 with speed and offensive skills... Guy that should have went in the middle of the 1st round, but dropped down because he is not 6'2" 200+... It all takes time though... Heck Yzerman would probably get drafted mid to late first round these days with the premium on size...

I think the Wings might have drafted Stevie Y junior this year... Look at Ferraro's bio... 5'11" 167 with speed and offensive skills... Guy that should have went in the middle of the 1st round, but dropped down because he is not 6'2" 200+... It all takes time though... Heck Yzerman would probably get drafted mid to late first round these days with the premium on size...

That's a very dangerous comparison there buddy. Especially on a Wings forum. Some people here are upset that even Zetterberg gets the Stevie Y comparison.

I remeber we missed few good players (Latendreese, for example) to select Cory Emmerton at the draft. He was porjected to be a classic Red Wings top six forward - small, soft, excellent skating, and good ice vision. I tried to find something about him and looks like all the reports are more or less pessimistic about his development. Were there any recent news about Cory? Do you think he will meet our expectation? etc.

I believe the Wings passed on Latendresse in order to select Abdelkader. Which is OK by me.

I really hope so. Especially, remebering Dats dropping to 179 because of his size.

PS Still cheering for Cory...

I believe the Wings passed on Latendresse in order to select Abdelkader. Which is OK by me.

no. It was Emmerton who was drafted two positions after Latendrese. Abdelkader was drafted one year later.

no. It was Emmerton who was drafted two positions after Latendrese. Abdelkader was drafted one year later.

Actually I was right:

Abdlekader was drafted 42nd overall in 2005.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/justin_abdelkader

Latendresse was taken 3 picks later by Montreal, 45th overall in 2005.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...e=nhl-canadiens

If you spent any time on these boards during that time, you'd remember the outcry when the Wings passed on Guillaume.

For the record, Emmerton was taken 41st overall the following year, 2006.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...e=nhl-canadiens

Many here wanted the Wings to draft Latendresse with their first round pick that year (#19 Kindl) and then were utterly outraged when Abdelkader was taken instead of him in the 2nd.

Latendresse has obviously accomplished more to date, but we'll need a few years to really make the comparison.

Emmerton is probably the prospect I care the least about, for whatever reason there's just nothing in him that excites me. He did have an okay rookie AHL season, started slowly but had a few nice scoring streaks here and there as the season progressed. Was very disappointing in the playoffs though. He needs a big season to really make a name for himself. I think we took him a bit too early.

Many here wanted the Wings to draft Latendresse with their first round pick that year (#19 Kindl) and then were utterly outraged when Abdelkader was taken instead of him in the 2nd.

Latendresse has obviously accomplished more to date, but we'll need a few years to really make the comparison.

Latendresse, meh, he's gone backwards almost every season. I'd rather Abdelkader.

Emmerton kind of reminds me offensively of McGrath a little, but more the projected McGrath. He's going to be a decent offensive threat, with good two-way play (something McGrath has apparently developed).

His junior numbers took a hit because of his injuries. I believe he even had mono at some point, I think his last season, which really set him back. It was good to see him have a solid year in the AHL. Those who watch the prospect camps are usually raving about him as a stand-out. I think big things will come for him in maybe 2-3 years, jumping up to Detroit's third line, giving us even more depth a center ice.

So looking back, who was the better choice Latendresse or Abdelkader? Based on stats, it looks as if Abby is projected (80games) as a 16 goal producer while Latendresse is projected at 19 (per 80 games). Playoffs, however, Abby is clutch and Latendresse is a no-show.

Of course the above 'projection' really means squat since anything can happen in hockey and they are both very still very young.

I must say though, looking back, Wings made a good choice but couldn't go wrong with Latendresse either.

Who do you like better? (be unbiased as possible please)

So looking back, who was the better choice Latendresse or Abdelkader? Based on stats, it looks as if Abby is projected (80games) as a 16 goal producer while Latendresse is projected at 19 (per 80 games). Playoffs, however, Abby is clutch and Latendresse is a no-show.

Of course the above 'projection' really means squat since anything can happen in hockey and they are both very still very young.

I must say though, looking back, Wings made a good choice but couldn't go wrong with Latendresse either.

Who do you like better? (be unbiased as possible please)

It's hard to say at this point as Abdelkader hasn't had very much time in the NHL, while Latendresse has three seasons under his belt. I will say this, though. I believe that Abdelkader will be able to break the 30 point mark. I think he has the potential the eventually be a power forward type player, and not just a grinder as some people have projected.

i think we made the right choice not picking latendresse .He might have tore it up in junior but so did maltby and we all know how offensively chalenged he is.lattendresse cant skate has trouble keeping up with the play where as abby like to hit quick feet and emerton is a good two way player.

It's hard to say at this point as Abdelkader hasn't had very much time in the NHL, while Latendresse has three seasons under his belt. I will say this, though. I believe that Abdelkader will be able to break the 30 point mark. I think he has the potential the eventually be a power forward type player, and not just a grinder as some people have projected.

Abdelkader>Latendresse, as I have said since the draft. This board should learn to listen to me more often.

Getting back on topic, Cory Emmerton has not lived up to his potential so far, but he's still very young. Let's see what he does next year with probably Leino, Helm, and one of Abdelkader, McGrath, or Oulahen no longer in Grand Rapids, making much more room for Emmerton to develop his game both ways. Look for Emmerton to clear 50 or 60 points next season in Grand Rapids.

do not you think that putting him with line 4 player would affect his offensive capabilities? I;ve seen this with Chris Draper, we are lucky this did not happen to Danny Cleary....

Given the metamorphosis of Franzen from a grinder to a "power forward" (I use that term loosely) because of a chance promotion due to injury, I'm intrigued with the possibility of Helm or Abdelkader getting a chance with Datsyuk or Zetterberg to see if they can see the manufacture the same results. I believe Helm's speed makes him a great fit on any line and he's got a good shot. Any thoughts?

This board should learn to listen to me more often.

sorry but you are not funny anymore. I do not imply that you are wrong but following your way "I think you are are completely wrong on everything people will ever say in the fruture"... I bet 10000$ you are female. that says a lot.

do not you think that putting him with line 4 player would affect his offensive capabilities? I;ve seen this with Chris Draper, we are lucky this did not happen to Danny Cleary....

Who?

Emmerton isn't an Ovechkin or Crosby where you're able to put them on the first line during their rookie season. Jimmy D has stated before that rookies, regardless of talent level, are usually always placed on the fourth line for development and to learn from veterans during their rookie season.

Edited by Hockeytown0001