• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey23

Zetterberg not on list of 34 for Team Sweden?

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/07/dy...s_jiri_hud.html

Update 5:02 AM: Henrik Zetterberg was named to the preliminary roster, but the Sedins, Mikael Samuelsson, and Nicklas Backstrom were left off the roster, and there's no doubt that they'll crack Sweden's official list, which, again, won't come out until mid-to-late September. Gustafsson's current roster is just a preliminary list, but it's good to see Larsson on it.

Which is what we just told ya'll.

It's a nice idea, but how many people can read the russian alphabet?

You mean you wouldn't recognize Овечкин as Ovechkin? Or, our very own ДацюÌк as Datsyuk?

It's a nice idea, but how many people can read the russian alphabet?

About 150 million people can. Most of them don't live in North America though, so I think it's a good idea to keep the names the way they are. It would be polite though if at least the announcers learned how to pronounce foreign names. Selänne has played in NA for 17 years, but still his name is pronounced wrong and this has led some people to jokingly call him "Salami".

Edited by P. Marlowe

How do you properly pronounce it? Is it Seh-lah-nay?

Something like that, but you can't really write it because the languages are so different. You have to hear it.

This is a Finnish video of Selänne's possibility to win his first Cup in '07. His name is said at 0:20.

Now that we're posting videos of '06 Olympic Finals, then why not Selänne's goal too (with Finnish announcers):

Edited by P. Marlowe

How do you properly pronounce it? Is it Seh-lah-nay?

The ä in his name is pronounced like the a in English "sad". Both e's are pronounced something like "eh". When a letter is written twice in Finnish, it means the letter should be pronounced about twice as long (like in Italian, if you are familiar with that language), so the n in his name is held for a little while...

The ä in his name is pronounced like the a in English "sad". Both e's are pronounced something like "eh". When a letter is written twice in Finnish, it means the letter should be pronounced about twice as long (like in Italian, if you are familiar with that language), so the n in his name is held for a little while...

So with Filppula it's like Filp-pula. The first p is pronounced but it's very subtle. ?

So with Filppula it's like Filp-pula. The first p is pronounced but it's very subtle. ?

That's about it. Once again I'll link an example. Filppula scores in U-20 World Championships. His name is said first time at 0:24. He intercepts a pass from Alexander Semin. There's also Sean Bergenheim and Petteri Nokelainen.

Edited by P. Marlowe

:ranting: A Brit complaining about Canadian arrogance? You guys taught us everything we know... :ph34r:

As a Brit myself, I don't see that there's anyone else to support than Canada. I mean its the closest thing to us without having the American's thinking Columbus discovered Europe. Sorry to LGWers SOUTH of the border this time.... just it seems like your government things they own us. But then again thats not hockey.... so either Canada or USA Gold is good for me. Although will be supporting all Wings there, which means teams like Russia, Sweden and Finland if Flip plays.

just like last olympics....if pronger is on team canada, i WILL be chearing for sweden. plus zetterberg is my favorite player since yzerman retired, so i feel no guilt in cheering for sweden....while i listen to swedish metal. then i will drink vodka and cheer for dats and kovalchuk!

Guest CaliWingsNut
Those are great! Hell, on the Zetterberg goal, the only non Red Wing out there was Backman! Nice! (well prior to Sammy leaving too!)

edit: also, who else is in favor of putting the dots over the players "O" on the NHL jersey as well? Even spell the names like they are supposed to be spelled (the Russians for example) and even the other nationalities, the accent, hyphens or whatever elese they are called! How do I get my keyboard to type those letters?

Because the NHL is an American league... and apparently that means we speak poor english.