• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dominator2005

Detroit MIGHT BE interested in Kessel?

Rate this topic

Stuart has a NTC and Kronwall is never going to be a #1 in this league.

I respectfully disagree. Last season he was 11th overall in defensive scoring in the league with 51 points in 80 games. And he did this with 2 other defencemen on the same team in the top 5 in scoring. I'd say those numbers call for a future #1 in the NHL, especially if he goes to another team, avoiding competing with a guy like Ericcson.

Why do people here think Boston would want Filppula? They could Kessel for nearly the same money, but either way, neither player addresses Boston's cap problems. Boston is having MAJOR cap issues and the last thing they want is another 3.5 million dollar salary to deal with.

Kessel isn't coming to Detroit. So keep playing the NHL09 where you can make unrealistic signings and trades. Cap world is real in the real NHL world, which is why Kessel isn't coming to Detroit.

Holland might look for one more 1 million dollar player to fill a hole and that's it. Expect Oulahen and McGrath to fill the other two holes.

I agree with most of your points but Filppula's cap hit is 3 million not 3.5.

I respectfully disagree. Last season he was 11th overall in defensive scoring in the league with 51 points in 80 games. And he did this with 2 other defencemen on the same team in the top 5 in scoring. I'd say those numbers call for a future #1 in the NHL, especially if he goes to another team, avoiding competing with a guy like Ericcson.

Kronwall is 28 years old and is barely better than Rafalski in his own end. Mike Green has all of the offensive ability in the world but he'll never be a "Number one" until he plays solid in both ends of the ice. The same goes for Kronwall.

People ride Kindl for being poor defensively but its the same story with Kronwall. He pinches too often and even on the PP gets a lot of shots blocked.

Of course, with the big-jumping hits, hes a fan favorite and I get it. But Kronwall isn't going to fill the shoes of Lidstrom. He doesn't play well enough offensively or defensively to do so.

Mark Streit scores a lot of points...

Guest Crymson
Kronwall is 28 years old and is barely better than Rafalski in his own end. Mike Green has all of the offensive ability in the world but he'll never be a "Number one" until he plays solid in both ends of the ice. The same goes for Kronwall.

People ride Kindl for being poor defensively but its the same story with Kronwall. He pinches too often and even on the PP gets a lot of shots blocked.

Of course, with the big-jumping hits, hes a fan favorite and I get it. But Kronwall isn't going to fill the shoes of Lidstrom. He doesn't play well enough offensively or defensively to do so.

Mark Streit scores a lot of points...

Kronwall is paid $3m. Streit is paid $5m. Rafalski is paid $6m. Kronwall, for what he brings, is an absolute and utter steal at $3m.

So sorry, but in the cap era we cannot have six #1 defensemen.

Edited by Crymson

Kronwall is paid $3m. Streit is paid $5m. Rafalski is paid $6m. Kronwall, for what he brings, is an absolute and utter

steal at $3m.

So sorry, butin the cap era we cannot have six #1 defensemen.

That has nothing to do with the discussion. Kronwall is paid like a 3rd or 4th defenseman, which is the case.

Rafalski, Streit and Lidstrom are all proven #1 D men.

Kronwall is good for the team at his current cap hit but if Lidstrom retired tomorrow, "Nick Jr" isn't going to step in and replace him. And yes, I believe you can replace Lidstrom. But Kronwall isn't that guy. Hes nearly 30 and still has a lot of work to do with his game.

The suggestion that he'll "Get better" with age is the problem. How many players get better going into their 30s? I think we've seen exactly what his potential is.

Now if he hit consistently every game or decided to fight occasionally, he would bring his game to a new level. But currently, I really don't see a difference between Brad Stuart and Nick Kronwall.

Now if he hit consistently every game or decided to fight occasionally, he would bring his game to a new level. But currently, I really don't see a difference between Brad Stuart and Nick Kronwall.

I'm sorry, but how would Kronwall taking 5 minute penalties occasionally bring his game to a new level?

You never know in terms of #1 defensemen. From what my elders tell me, they didn't expect Lidstrom to be a #1 defenseman and look at him now. No, Kronwall doesn't show many signs of being a future #1 but he's still learning and he could have a big jump in the near future.

This might be out of left field, but I say we do everything we can to get Phil Kessel. My reason: he's only got one ********. Now hear me out... there are several famous men with only one of their boys. All of them have reached great potential. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lance Armstrong and even Adolf Hitler.

Do I think Phil Kessel will be the next Hitler? No, I do not. However, each of those men, good and evil, reached world renowned heights. You have a man in Scwarzenegger who started out making action movies and now he's the governor of California. Armstrong used to ride his bicycle for his newspaper route... Tour De France baby. Lastly, Hitler was a crappy artist, and then went on to, well... you know.

My point is, Phil Kesser is a 35-40 goal scorer right now. If history has taught us anything, it's that having one ******** leads to greatness.

Thank you.

Disclaimer: In no way do I support the Holocaust or the movie Junior.

Not going to happen.

What I would actually look at is the possibility that Boston does resign Kessel and what that means next year.

Lucic is a RFA next year.

I wonder if the Wings move Stuart (which I assume is the reason they made the no trade clause expire the year the cap is going to fall) and someone else away to clear cap room to attack a cap tight team with an offer sheet.

okay I am just dreaming, but Lucic would be the perfect addition to the team.

Not going to happen.

What I would actually look at is the possibility that Boston does resign Kessel and what that means next year.

Lucic is a RFA next year.

I wonder if the Wings move Stuart (which I assume is the reason they made the no trade clause expire the year the cap is going to fall) and someone else away to clear cap room to attack a cap tight team with an offer sheet.

okay I am just dreaming, but Lucic would be the perfect addition to the team.

To any team. If Looch scores 20+ this year, I could see teams tossing 5 mil at him. But then again, the cap is set to drop next year, so maybe contracts wont be as lucrative next season.

As far as Kessel, if it happens, sweet, he's a great player. If it doesnt, who cares. We're fine with or without Phil.

Guest Crymson
That has nothing to do with the discussion. Kronwall is paid like a 3rd or 4th defenseman, which is the case.

Rafalski, Streit and Lidstrom are all proven #1 D men.

Kronwall is good for the team at his current cap hit but if Lidstrom retired tomorrow, "Nick Jr" isn't going to step in and replace him. And yes, I believe you can replace Lidstrom. But Kronwall isn't that guy. Hes nearly 30 and still has a lot of work to do with his game.

The suggestion that he'll "Get better" with age is the problem. How many players get better going into their 30s? I think we've seen exactly what his potential is.

Mark Streit is most certainly not a "proven #1 defenseman." He played forward for a significant amount of his time with the Canadiens, and he is jelly defensively. He has had all of one season with the Islanders, and he is only the #1 defenseman there because the team is terrible in general. Rafalski is certainly not a proven #1 defenseman; he has had only one season as a #1 defenseman, and it was marred by defensive lapses. Aside from said season, he always played alongside Stevens and/or Niedermayer; with the Wings, he has always played #2 to Lidstrom. Please get your facts straight.

If you don't see a difference between Stuart and Kronwall, then you are not watching the Red Wings play. Period. Kronwall is faster, he is a much better passer, and he can rack up points. Stuart is not an offensive defenseman in any sense of the word.

While Kronwall may never develop to be a #1 defenseman---though this possibility should not be counted out, as he is still young---he would most certainly be a top-pairing defenseman on any other team but the Wings. The Wings are extraordinarily deep on defense and have been for a long while, and this has likely led many of us to take it for granted.

Edited by Crymson

Wow, so countless articles denounce the idea that the Wings are after Kessel, and the reader decides that the Wings are targeting Kessel?

It's a slow offseason.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
The cap numbers I quoted did not include Fernandez. They're about 3 million over the cap without Fernandez.

Hankanator = PWNED!

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

ALthough Kessel put up big numbers last year and has the potential to do so again it just doesn't make sense for the Wings to go after him with their cap situation. Even if the Wings were to move someone like Filppula + to get him and still fall under the cap it doesn't make sense. Filppula will finally get a full season in the top six (most likely playing with Franzen and Cleary or some similar combination) and is only in the 2nd year of his 5 year deal. You don't go and sign someone to a deal like Filppula's only to give up on his as he is entering year two. Those contracts are structured so that he becomes a bargain in years 4 and 5 and potentially even in year 3. The wings did the same with Kronwall and although Zetterberg's old contract differed in duration the same principle applies.

As for McGrath and Oulahan playing on the 4th line, to me that just seems so far fetched that it's not even a remote possibility. But that's just my opinion. I think Helm, Leino, Ericsson and Howard are enough rookies for one season.