• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dominator2005

Detroit MIGHT BE interested in Kessel?

Rate this topic

NESN.COM: Jame Murphy reported prior to the Bruins signing of defenseman Derek Morris that the club's trading of Aaron Ward and planned buyout of recently acquired forward Patrick Eaves was no guarantee the club would re-sign winger Phil Kessel. Murphy wondered what would happen to Kessel if the Bruins signed Morris or another defenseman, if the winger would be the odd man out or if GM Peter Chiarelli might trade another player (perhaps forward Chuck Kobesaw and his $2.9 million salary) to free up cap space to re-sign Kessel. Murphy suggested if the Bruins shopped Kessel the Detroit Red Wings, who could lose winger Jiri Hudler to the KHL, might be a team to contact.

MLIVE.COM: George James Malik dismissed the notion of the Red Wings pursuing Kessel given the latter's rumored salary demands of more than $4 million per season.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Bruins GM Chiarelli clearly isn't done dealing as he'll be almost tapped out of cap space once Eaves buyout is completed. He's stated several times in recent weeks he intends to re-sign Kessel so if we take him at his word that means another Bruin will likely be traded. I agree with Malik that the Red Wings probably won't be interested in Kessel if the Bruins were to shop him. As for Seidenberg he'll have to try the UFA market again but could end up lowering his salary demands. As for Babchuk he's a restricted free agent and the Hurricanes qualified his rights. If he refuses to sign the qualifying offer they'll either have to trade him or as expected he could return to the KHL.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/07/ju...hil_kessel.html

Just saying 'no' to Phil Kessel, II: Red Wings won't trade anyone away, either

Posted by George James Malik July 25, 2009 15:10PM

In the wake of James Murphy's suggestion that the Red Wings might be interested in acquiring Boston Bruins forward Phil Kessel, whose status as a restricted free agent with Jiri Hudler-like $4 million-plus salary demands, I read Spector's take on the contributing factors to Murphy's suggestion.

The Bruins theoretically cleared enough cap space to retain Kessel by trading Aaron Ward to the Carolina Hurricanes for winger Patrick Eaves, who they're buying out, but the B's signed Derek Morris on Friday night, essentially negating their cap cushion.

Then I read a suggestion on Lowetide that the Red Wings might be willing to move Valtteri Filppula, Johan Franzen, or Brad Stuart to the Oilers for help up front, and I plain old laughed out loud.

The Red Wings are not going to trade one of their core players away to "help" another team. I would argue that the only personnel subtraction the Wings might make in the next four months, some sort of miraculous resolution with Jiri Hudler aside, would be to trade Derek Meech when/if Andreas Lilja returns from his post-concussive symptoms.

The Wings' brass is looking for bargains, and I would imagine that they want to sign two forwards, not one, to fill that $1.5-1.6 million in salary cap space they have left. Two forwards mean both more depth and Justin Abdelkader playing 20 minutes a night in Grand Rapids instead of sitting on the bench for 50 minutes a night in Detroit. As such, you can toss suggestions that the Wings would go after someone like Alex Tanguay out of the equation, and I don't believe that the Wings have any interest in re-hashing Todd Bertuzzi's bad penalties, Robert Lang's icy relationship with Mike Babcock, or Jason Williams' tendency to show up once every third game. I've suggested that Petr Sykora might make a good target, but he'd also have to take a huge pay cut, as would any other player the Wings would target, so...

I look at someone like the player the B's are buying out in Patrick Eaves, a 25-year-old who made $1.4 million last season and will receive a buyout of $933,333.34 spread out over the next four seasons (he had two years remaining on his contract), as someone that the Red Wings might take a stab at if he's willing to play for a highly discounted rate. The 5'11," 190-lb. winger came into the league as a highly-heralded prospect for the Ottawa Senators, but he topped out at 20 goals during his first season and 34 points in his second, with his speed, skill, and forechecking producing very little since his trade to Carolina.

The Patrick Eaveses and Taylor Pyatts of the hockey world offer the kind of, "We'll sign you to an entry-level deal if you do well in camp, and then we'll see what you can do" punch that the Wings are looking for, with Dan Cleary serving as the best example of a player counted down and out of the NHL delivering on his promise, and Brent Sopel's decision to turn down a contract from the Wings to head to Chicago and fade into the background as a non-playing millstone as the worst result.

I have no better guesses as to who the Wings might target than you do, but I can at least definitively state that the Wings will not trade a promising young prospect, nor a contributing player for a short-term fix. The Wings will go after a forward or two who is either willing to take a discount to play for Detroit and reestablish himself, or is plain old willing to sign a near-entry level deal ($550,000 to $750,000) because he's got to prove that he belongs in the NHL, period.

The Wings didn't let Mikael Samuelsson or Tomas Kopecky go because they wanted to acquire or sign another disgruntled player who's asking for more than he's worth, nor do they have any desire to trade away assets to plug holes. If you can get a player for nothing more than the price of his contract, and especially if you can get him to come to town for a discount in August or September, you follow that path of least resistance and let other teams' followers keep dreaming of fleecing you.

Yes.. the Red Wings have no interest in a 21 year old who can score 40 goals. Don't be idiotic. They would move anyone not named Datsuyk, Zetterberg, Franzen or Lidstrom for him.

In order to sign Kessel, all they would have to do is put Lilja on waivers and not sign Hudler. Or trade Hudler's rights in a package for Kessel.

There seems to be a lot of press around a story where a team has "No interest".

Guest Crymson
Yes.. the Red Wings have no interest in a 21 year old who can score 40 goals. Don't be idiotic. They would move anyone not named Datsuyk, Zetterberg, Franzen or Lidstrom for him.

In order to sign Kessel, all they would have to do is put Lilja on waivers and not sign Hudler. Or trade Hudler's rights in a package for Kessel.

There seems to be a lot of press around a story where a team has "No interest".

I imagine there are a multitude of teams who can and will outbid the Wings here.

I imagine there are a multitude of teams who can and will outbid the Wings here.

Not a lot of teams have a surplus of prospects and a willingness to give up first rounders like Detroit. Not to mention, most of the worst teams in the league are in the East, so I imagine, if traded, Kessel will go west. The Wing's also have the potential of seven million dollars coming off of the cap next season, if Lidstrom decides to hang them up.

Detroit is in one of the best positions in the league to trade for a young RFA.

Nice! Kessel = no, too expensive. Eaves, or Pyatt? I guess for a discount sure. Eaves wouldn't cost so much considering he's getting nearly $1M from the Bruins for the next 4 years from the buyout, you may be able to offer him another $1M contract and total nearly $2M a year. :lol: I totally forgot Brent Sopel was in camp last year and turned down the Wings offer, looks like he'll probaly have to be dealt next year to relieve some cap space. Best case scenario, Trade Meech or Lebda, sign a UFA for $1M or less, let McGrath and Oulahen try to get the fourth line spots.

Edit: On the other Hand, a 21 year old who can score 40 goals, trade Kronwall & the rights to Hudler, that should get him here PLUS open up enough cap...

Edited by LeftWinger

Nice! Kessel = no, too expensive. Eaves, or Pyatt? I guess for a discount sure. Eaves wouldn't cost so much considering he's getting nearly $1M from the Bruins for the next 4 years from the buyout, you may be able to offer him another $1M contract and total nearly $2M a year. :lol: I totally forgot Brent Sopel was in camp last year and turned down the Wings offer, looks like he'll probaly have to be dealt next year to relieve some cap space. Best case scenario, Trade Meech or Lebda, sign a UFA for $1M or less, let McGrath and Oulahen try to get the fourth line spots.

Edit: On the other Hand, a 21 year old who can score 40 goals, trade Kronwall & the rights to Hudler, that should get him here PLUS open up enough cap...

I would rather keep Kronwall and trade Stuart.

McGrath or Oulahen on 4th line... not so sure... we are already going to have Helm, Leino, Ericsson, Abdelkader (not so sure) and Howard. At least 4-5 rookies which is A LOT...

Flip + Hudler (rights) + Lebda... Even that isn't enough...

for kessel...oh my s***...that would be worth it for the wings (IMO-if phil keeps getting better) I have my fingers crossed.

I know all that but Kronwall is better player than Stuart.

You're getting Phill Kessel in return...

This isn't NHL09, you have to give up assets to get them. This team has a ton of offensive defenseman prospects and there are always offensive defenseman available in the first round.

Kronwall doesn't hit or score nearly enough to get that "Untouchable" tag.

You're getting Phill Kessel in return...

This isn't NHL09, you have to give up assets to get them. This team has a ton of offensive defenseman prospects and there are always offensive defenseman available in the first round.

Kronwall doesn't hit or score nearly enough to get that "Untouchable" tag.

Exactly! Yet Kronwall is good enough to package and get someone like Kessel. Hell, throw Meech in too! Kronwall, Meech, rights to Hudler. Then give Kessel the $4M, give the 4th line to McGrath/Draper/Oulahen and rotate the two rookies with Maltby for the 13th and we'd still have over $1M to bring up a defensman to cover injuries.

Cleary - Zetterberg - Datsyuk

Kessel - Filppula - Franzen

Holmstrom - Helm - Leino

McGrath - Draper - Oulahen

(Maltby)

Lids - Rafi

Stu- Ericsson

Lilja - Ledba

(call up)

I wouldnt mind Kessel at all...and most guys want to go to a winning team so more are willing to take a salary cut to have a chance to don the Wings jersey.

Lils plus the money that was allocated to Huds would be enough I think

They're not going to trade Fil or Kronner for Kessel.. thank god.

Kessel is alright, would be a nice replacement for Hudler, but if he wants 4 mil in salary there's no way he's coming here.

Hossa scored 40 goals last season and the entire fan base was sucking him off. Kessel is nine years younger and scored 36 goals. Hudler will never be half the player Kessel already is.

A trade like this would mean we would have one of the youngest and best scoring wingers locked up for 4-6 years for four million a season.

Trade anyone not named Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Osgood or Lidstrom at this point.

Kessel isn't coming folks. Stop this madness, you're setting yourself for up heartbreak. First of all, we don't have cap room. Second of all, Wings don't have the players Boston want. Remember, Boston is WAYYYYY over their cap space right now, so why would they want Fil or Kronwall and the other names thrown around on here, when they need to improve their cap space? It appears they NEED to cut their cap space and probably want top prospects. What top prospect do the Wings have that can go to Boston? Helm? Abby? Ericsson? We need those guys so WE are NOT over our cap.

Drake_Markus has a very plausable theory behind Boston's madness:

The Bruins are 3.4 million over the cap right now with the following:

14 Forwards (5 of them make over 3.5 million, Kessel is not included in this list of D-men)

6 D-men (the bottom 3 each make between 1.3 and 1.45 million-- this should be trimmed down)

2 Goalies (one is 3.2 million, Rask, which is a huge problem)

How would freeing up 2.5 million by dumping a D-man pay for Kessel? That D-man is not extra- he has to be replaced, and he was their #3 man on top of that, so he needs to be replaced with someone capable of playing that position.

Kessel wants at least 4 million a year. Let's say you dump Ward and move a prospect in to fill the 6th spot. Ok, now you've got 1.5 million to go towards the 4 million Kessel wants but now your D-core just lost significant depth.

The real speculation on this move was that it was possibly to free up space for Kaberle.

Now they've got a good young guy in Morris, but I wouldn't be surprised if that pick up of Morris is in effect a sign and trade. Maybe they plan to trade Morris and Kessel to the Leafs for Kaberle and a pick or prospect? The Leafs want a d-man who can quarterback the PP and is relatively young if they're going to move Kaberle, at least in my opinion. They also want a top 6 forward. Moving Morris and Kessel for Kaberle and a pick/prospect would make sense here.

I'm not sure why the Bruins are so gung-ho on Kaberle... it must be because they want a legit 2nd PP quarterback.

Edited by Snazzy

Hossa scored 40 goals last season and the entire fan base was sucking him off. Kessel is nine years younger and scored 36 goals. Hudler will never be half the player Kessel already is.

A trade like this would mean we would have one of the youngest and best scoring wingers locked up for 4-6 years for four million a season.

Trade anyone not named Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Osgood or Lidstrom at this point.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Kessel isn't coming folks. Stop this madness, you're setting yourself for up heartbreak. First of all, we don't have cap room. Second of all, Wings don't have the players Boston want. Remember, Boston is WAYYYYY over their cap space right now, so why would they want Fil or Kronwall and the other names thrown around on here, when they need to improve their cap space? It appears they NEED to cut their cap space and probably want top prospects. What top prospect do the Wings have that can go to Boston? Helm? Abby? Ericsson? We need those guys so WE are NOT over our cap.

Drake_Markus has a very plausable theory behind Boston's madness:

Boston could waive or trade Fernandez and have all of the cap space in the world.

LOL. First people here thought Sundin might come, followed by Heatley, and now Kessel. Come on, seriously? There tons of teams that can afford to pony up a lot more dough then we can. There is absolutely no way Kessel will come. Enjoy your pipedream folks!

Realistically, I still see Bertuzzi, Grier or Pyatt as our MAIN potential signings. I'll take any except Grier.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Boston could waive or trade Fernandez and have all of the cap space in the world.

Manny is an UFA and without his salary, Boston only has $1.1 million with a 22 man roster. Hardly "all of the cap space in the world".

Edited by Snazzy