• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

amsoil33

Grier Could Bring Some Diversity to Hockeytown

Rate this topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black..._hockey_players

Although hockey brings players from all over Europe and North America, the lack of black players in the league compared to other major sports is quite noticeable. If the wings were able to bring someone like Grier to the team, I think that the prestige and talent of this organization would further encourage more black players to join this great sport. Besides Calgary, no other current team in the NHL really has a black player that serves as the face of the organization. Of course Jerome has earned it and definitely has the skill to back it up, but there is no reason why another player could not attain the same position. With the obvious racial diversity that Hockeytown possesses, I believe that a player like Grier's trade to Detroit would not only further inspire black youth to play hockey in the D, but everywhere else where hockey is popular. Thoughts?

Can we talk sports here not f... politics and discrimination BS, How about promoting hockey in China?? or India????

I can't believe that this thread is a reality. What this and every team needs to do is sign the best players at the best prices to fill the roles that are needed, regardless of race. And not just race, age, religion, sexual orientation, whatever. This makes me sick!

Said it much better than me.

I don't mind seeing diverse backgrounds displayed throughout the NHL...That said I do despise the NFL/NBA for the tasteless, or criminal acts of some of their athletes...Hope that behavior doesn't make it's way into the NHL.

As long as everyone remembers that those athletes don't represent a race, they represent themselves. I don't think it's fair to lump the stupid behaviour of those guys in with the entirety of the African American community. Lots of black guys in the NBA and NFL are upstanding citizens who do community service and are a credit to their teams.

I can't believe that this thread is a reality. What this and every team needs to do is sign the best players at the best prices to fill the roles that are needed, regardless of race. And not just race, age, religion, sexual orientation, whatever. This makes me sick!

Really? Aren't you overreacting? I think what you just wrote is self-evident, but I don't think that's what this thread was about (or at least how it started). If Grier signs with Red Wings it might mean something to black kids in Detroit.

Guest Shoreline
As long as everyone remembers that those athletes don't represent a race, they represent themselves. I don't think it's fair to lump the stupid behaviour of those guys in with the entirety of the African American community. Lots of black guys in the NBA and NFL are upstanding citizens who do community service and are a credit to their teams.

It's not like NHL players ever actually break the law or anything. We wouldn't want imperfection to make it's way to the NHL. :o

Exactly. This is insulting. We want Mike Grier the player, not just Mike Grier the black man.

Guys. obviously if there was a player that was better than Grier and was any other race, it wouldn't matter, we would pick the better player, regardless of skin color. I am not a stupid person that promotes diversity with no logic or proper reasoning behind it. All I am saying is that if Grier is brought to this team, for his skill not race, that it would be beneficial to all facets of the organization and surrounding aspects.

Really? Aren't you overreacting? I think what you just wrote is self-evident, but I don't think that's what this thread was about (or at least how it started). If Grier signs with Red Wings it might mean something to black kids in Detroit.

I don't know what was the intent of the start of the thread, but I do know where it went. I'll be the judge of my own reactions.

I'm pretty sure the whole diversity thing is tongue-in-cheek in here. Any reasonable person should agree with what you're saying.

If you really want to stir things up, and attract people to the NHL, sign a LaVeyan Satanist *** transvestite.

I think Mike Grier (or any black/minority player) would be offended if he knew that 'bringing diversity' would have had anything to do with his contract. There are a number of intangibles that should go into weighing whether or not a player is worth hiring, but GMs can't have race in their minds...

Agreed. Race should have nothing to do with signing a player. I don't care if he's blue and bald, if he can score and is a team asset, i'm for him. Plus, I would hope that Mike Grier would see himself as a hockey player who happends to be black, not a black who happens to play hockey.

Exactly. This is insulting. We want Mike Grier the player, not just Mike Grier the black man.

I hope the day is coming sooner than later where we will just dicuss his hockey merit.

I hope the day is coming sooner than later where we will just dicuss his hockey merit.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I never thought this thread would turn into this. He is a great player. All I am saying is that adding someone who isn't white for once would be a nice change of pace for our team and the sport. Stop morphing this thread into something it isn't.

OH NO! According to some folks on here, signing Mike Grier wouldbe a great story in the city and generate newer and blacker fans!

This thread is EPIC FAIL

As Mike Grier's illegitimate son, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

This is rediculus. Some people want him here for the lone fact that he is black. Who cares?

My vote still goes out to Malhotra, but I would not be upset if Grier signed.

Also, do you think that it will bring new fans to the Red Wings? No.

If the pistons were an all black basketball team, and acquired a white player do you think more white kids would suddenly like them? No, you either like the SPORT or you do not.

The lack of interest in hockey from blacks is also noticeable. Still, other teams will have black players as their face. And they should. It's great to see different people from different backgrounds winning. We pay attention to the fact that Lids was the first European captain to win a cup. I'm sure attention will be paid to the first black captain to win a cup, assuming one hasn't done so already. Such disparities deserve looking at, but with a grain of salt and dose of reasonableness.

I don't disagree that Grier would bring diversity as far as race is concerned, but not as far as talent is concerned, which should be the focus here as a priority rather than his race. The Wings do not need Grier and I don't see what gaps he would fill that aren't already full. The Wings had a major dip in scoring talent and Grier isn't a way to make up for it.

They also lost their 4th line grinder typr in Kopy. Who is going to fill that void? Helm? I'd rather see him on the 3rd line. Greir is the perfect fit for Kopy's spot. Leino and Helm and 1 other guy have to pick up the goals.

Guest Lidstromboli

would love to see him in the hand shake line for the combo breaker

Clearly the NHL should force the Flames to trade Iginla to the Wings.

But only for the sake of diversity. :sly:

Seriously. In the words of a Bostonian- how wicked sweet would that be?

or s***, wings could sign obama and he could double as the team doctor!...sorry man all those politics from everybody yesterday are now spewing from my fingies! okay i will stop!