107 replies to this topic

#21 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Peleshob @ July 28, 2009 - 12:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Half of me, the black half, is offended by this thread. That said, bring on Iron Mike. We need someone to scare the f*** out of Kane and Toews. I have the feeling that Grier telling them that they'll be his ***** is going to work.

I don't think that'll work on Byfuglien.

#22 bonan78

bonan78

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:50 PM

The Red Wings are already doing their part for diversity, look who is listed on Wikipedia under List of ice hockey players of Middle Eastern descent, our own Justin Abdelkader.
Superman wears Steve Yzerman pajamas

Thanks TeeMan

#23 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:50 PM

How's about adding REAL diversity by signing 21-year-old Echolalia, the league's first LGWian. Relatively incompetent at the nhl level, this prospect is sure to bring fans to the seats with his wacky trouble-making demeanor! Scouts expect 0 goals, 0 assists, 4 penalty minutes out of this one-of-a-kind player, best described as one scout puts it "completely lost... shouldn't see icetime from a midget travel team, but you gotta love his style!"
You gotta love his style, indeed, as the ladies certainly have taken kindly to his on and off ice antics. In fact, female buyers have taken up 60% of sales at every beer and intramural league he has played in. Now those are stats that don't lie.

#24 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

I can't believe that this thread is a reality. What this and every team needs to do is sign the best players at the best prices to fill the roles that are needed, regardless of race. And not just race, age, religion, sexual orientation, whatever. This makes me sick!
"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week." Herb Brooks

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#25 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Slabby @ July 28, 2009 - 01:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. This is insulting. We want Mike Grier the player, not just Mike Grier the black man.

I'm pretty sure the whole diversity thing is tongue-in-cheek in here. Any reasonable person should agree with what you're saying.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (PROBIE4PREZ @ July 28, 2009 - 02:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No need for diversity .. keep your flashy jewelry guns drugs and strippers in the NBA and NFL headlines .. kiddin me .. diversity .. ha call me ignorent but that's the truth .

I don't mind seeing diverse backgrounds displayed throughout the NHL...That said I do despise the NFL/NBA for the tasteless, or criminal acts of some of their athletes...Hope that behavior doesn't make it's way into the NHL.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#27 DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

As we all know hockey is a very expensive sport on the average I spent about $5000 a year for 14 years for my child skate that I really could not afford but as a parent
I made sure that my daughter was able to play the sport that she loves I guess what I am trying to say is color, location, and cost is not a factor were there is a will there is a way. For instance in Detroit there is an orginization called Detroit Dragons this orginization gets money from the NHL to operate every year to help off set the cost
and to promote the sport and if I do recall reading that they do it in most if not all the market areas of NHL. Anyways I am all for Grier to were the Winged wheel and to help promote the sport to all are youth no mater race color or crede thumbup.gif

#28 redwashington2000

redwashington2000

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (amsoil33 @ July 28, 2009 - 02:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://en.wikipedia...._hockey_players

Although hockey brings players from all over Europe and North America, the lack of black players in the league compared to other major sports is quite noticeable. If the wings were able to bring someone like Grier to the team, I think that the prestige and talent of this organization would further encourage more black players to join this great sport. Besides Calgary, no other current team in the NHL really has a black player that serves as the face of the organization. Of course Jerome has earned it and definitely has the skill to back it up, but there is no reason why another player could not attain the same position. With the obvious racial diversity that Hockeytown possesses, I believe that a player like Grier's trade to Detroit would not only further inspire black youth to play hockey in the D, but everywhere else where hockey is popular. Thoughts?

Can we talk sports here not f... politics and discrimination BS, How about promoting hockey in China?? or India????

#29 redwashington2000

redwashington2000

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (LIDDYGIBBY5 @ July 28, 2009 - 03:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe that this thread is a reality. What this and every team needs to do is sign the best players at the best prices to fill the roles that are needed, regardless of race. And not just race, age, religion, sexual orientation, whatever. This makes me sick!

Said it much better than me.

#30 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ July 28, 2009 - 02:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't mind seeing diverse backgrounds displayed throughout the NHL...That said I do despise the NFL/NBA for the tasteless, or criminal acts of some of their athletes...Hope that behavior doesn't make it's way into the NHL.

As long as everyone remembers that those athletes don't represent a race, they represent themselves. I don't think it's fair to lump the stupid behaviour of those guys in with the entirety of the African American community. Lots of black guys in the NBA and NFL are upstanding citizens who do community service and are a credit to their teams.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#31 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (LIDDYGIBBY5 @ July 28, 2009 - 10:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? Aren't you overreacting? I think what you just wrote is self-evident, but I don't think that's what this thread was about (or at least how it started). If Grier signs with Red Wings it might mean something to black kids in Detroit.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#32 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ July 28, 2009 - 01:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as everyone remembers that those athletes don't represent a race, they represent themselves. I don't think it's fair to lump the stupid behaviour of those guys in with the entirety of the African American community. Lots of black guys in the NBA and NFL are upstanding citizens who do community service and are a credit to their teams.

It's not like NHL players ever actually break the law or anything. We wouldn't want imperfection to make it's way to the NHL. ohmy.gif

#33 amsoil33

amsoil33

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Slabby @ July 28, 2009 - 02:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. This is insulting. We want Mike Grier the player, not just Mike Grier the black man.

Guys. obviously if there was a player that was better than Grier and was any other race, it wouldn't matter, we would pick the better player, regardless of skin color. I am not a stupid person that promotes diversity with no logic or proper reasoning behind it. All I am saying is that if Grier is brought to this team, for his skill not race, that it would be beneficial to all facets of the organization and surrounding aspects.

#34 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (P. Marlowe @ July 28, 2009 - 04:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? Aren't you overreacting? I think what you just wrote is self-evident, but I don't think that's what this thread was about (or at least how it started). If Grier signs with Red Wings it might mean something to black kids in Detroit.

I don't know what was the intent of the start of the thread, but I do know where it went. I'll be the judge of my own reactions.
"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week." Herb Brooks

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#35 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

I have never done this before; however...

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#36 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ July 28, 2009 - 07:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure the whole diversity thing is tongue-in-cheek in here. Any reasonable person should agree with what you're saying.

If you really want to stir things up, and attract people to the NHL, sign a LaVeyan Satanist *** transvestite.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#37 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ July 28, 2009 - 03:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not like NHL players ever actually break the law or anything. We wouldn't want imperfection to make it's way to the NHL. ohmy.gif

Ed Belfour has never broken the law. Ever. ph34r.gif
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#38 Erik327

Erik327

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (NGKEIB @ July 28, 2009 - 03:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Mike Grier (or any black/minority player) would be offended if he knew that 'bringing diversity' would have had anything to do with his contract. There are a number of intangibles that should go into weighing whether or not a player is worth hiring, but GMs can't have race in their minds...

Agreed. Race should have nothing to do with signing a player. I don't care if he's blue and bald, if he can score and is a team asset, i'm for him. Plus, I would hope that Mike Grier would see himself as a hockey player who happends to be black, not a black who happens to play hockey.

#39 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Slabby @ July 28, 2009 - 03:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope the day is coming sooner than later where we will just dicuss his hockey merit.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#40 amsoil33

amsoil33

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ July 28, 2009 - 05:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope the day is coming sooner than later where we will just dicuss his hockey merit.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I never thought this thread would turn into this. He is a great player. All I am saying is that adding someone who isn't white for once would be a nice change of pace for our team and the sport. Stop morphing this thread into something it isn't.