• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Congrats to the Zamboni family/company

Rate this topic

Frank Zamboni will be inducted into the 2009 U.S. HHOF.

link to story

One reason I decided to start a thread about this event, is because I met Mr.Zamboni when I was a child. Frank Zamboni passed away in 1988, but just two years prior, he made an appearance at the ice rink where I played hockey. He gave us some words of wisdom, and invited all of us to take a tour of the Zamboni company in Paramount, CA. (which was only 30 minutes from where we played) Which we did. The Zamboni family and few employees all stopped their daily duties and welcomed us. Very cordial. One of the things Mr. Zamboni told us there was " If hockey was easy, everyone would play it" As ten year olds, we felt empowered to be a better hockey player. I took the words of wisdom from him, and now share them with my son, who plays hockey.

So, congratulations to the Zamboni family for a great achievement.

zamboni.com

Congrats to him. It's a certainly a well earned honor. He built the proverbial better mousetrap. It's a shame Sidney Crosby wouldn't shake his hand that time :lol:

I read a really nice article on Frank and his family business in the New York Times in May. Now you can too:

PARAMOUNT, Calif. — At least one well-known American vehicle manufacturer is rolling out vehicles as usual. But before a Zamboni can take the ice, it hits the pavement on Colorado Avenue.

The neighbors are used to it by now, seeing one of the blocky ice-resurfacing machines rumble out of the low-slung Zamboni factory and trudge down the block — top speed: 9 miles per hour — toward the corner KFC. It whirls and comes back, is checked for leaks and fitted with studded tires.

The rest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/23/sports/h...boni&st=cse

Congrats to him. It's a certainly a well earned honor. He built the proverbial better mousetrap. It's a shame Sidney Crosby wouldn't shake his hand that time :lol:

I read a really nice article on Frank and his family business in the New York Times in May. Now you can too:

PARAMOUNT, Calif. — At least one well-known American vehicle manufacturer is rolling out vehicles as usual. But before a Zamboni can take the ice, it hits the pavement on Colorado Avenue.

The neighbors are used to it by now, seeing one of the blocky ice-resurfacing machines rumble out of the low-slung Zamboni factory and trudge down the block — top speed: 9 miles per hour — toward the corner KFC. It whirls and comes back, is checked for leaks and fitted with studded tires.

The rest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/23/sports/h...boni&st=cse

excellent read. thanks for sharing.

excellent read. thanks for sharing.

Thank YOU for making mention of his inclusion on the HHOF. I had to to a quick rack of the brain to remember where I read that article. I knew it was during this year's playoff run and thought it would make a good addition to your thread.

What, no love for the guy who invented the seat? Without him, we'd all be standing at the rink.

Like they wouldn't have found another way to clean and flood the ice.

Edited by stillwater

Cool story and it's great that he made it to the Hall. Plus, he invented something to look at during intermissions :D

So the guy who invented slush sluts will be next?

Seriously, that's great. The Zamboni as a part of the game. Just think of how many injuries have been averted and how the speed of the game is much greater with clean, smooth ice.

The Zamboni family deserves this honour. It would be nice if Mr. Z could be here to share it, but what a great legacy!

What, no love for the guy who invented the seat? Without him, we'd all be standing at the rink.

Like they wouldn't have found another way to clean and flood the ice.

True. I despise Frank Zamboni... without him I could be enjoying elephants and monkeys with squeegees and cute hats.

It always seemed odd coming out of Paramount, CA. It was such a crappy rink they didn't even have any teams out of it for years. Awful neighborhood now too. I used to take power skating lessons there when I was little, and there was an old (maybe the original?) Zamboni sitting in the back.

ZamboniModelC1952.JPG