• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yc172

We're going to be fine

Rate this topic

OK, so this offseason has not gone quite as planned. Losing Hudler, Samuelsson, and most importantly Hossa definitely does not make the wings any better. However, nobody should expect anything less than another 1st place central division and top 2 western conference/overall NHL finish. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1) Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall

These guys surrounded by a bunch of mini-mites could be a playoff team.

2) Hudler

First, Hudler didn't really get that much playing time. He was one of the most productive players in the league with the time he received, but there is no reason to think that he was an important cog in our machine. He was not very good defensively, and seemed like he got most of his points on the powerplay. There are many players (internal and external) that can replace him.

3) Samuelsson

After Lilja, he was the guy who most people here ragged on the most. He had a good shot but seemed to disappear for long stretches.

Maybe it is just me, but I think Hudler and Samuelsson were both products of the Red Wings system. A lot of their contributions came from being in the right place at the right time, and there are many people capable of producing as much. I don't know how Leino or Helm will play being full time red wings, but if history tells us anything, they should be just fine. With another signing (I think jason williams would be awesome to get back) the wings should field a team very similar to 07-08. Yes, Chicago should be much improved and San Jose should continue to be a powerhouse, but I would be scared of the red wings when they will be out to prove they are still a top tier team. Babcock, known for making his teams work hard and earn everything, let the reins loose a little bit last year, and that will not happen again. Lets throw a little optimism in here because we still have one of the best teams (and i think the best team) in the NHL playing in motown.

Go Wings.

OK, so this offseason has not gone quite as planned. Losing Hudler, Samuelsson, and most importantly Hossa definitely does not make the wings any better. However, nobody should expect anything less than another 1st place central division and top 2 western conference/overall NHL finish. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1) Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall

These guys surrounded by a bunch of mini-mites could be a playoff team.

2) Hudler

First, Hudler didn't really get that much playing time. He was one of the most productive players in the league with the time he received, but there is no reason to think that he was an important cog in our machine. He was not very good defensively, and seemed like he got most of his points on the powerplay. There are many players (internal and external) that can replace him.

3) Samuelsson

After Lilja, he was the guy who most people here ragged on the most. He had a good shot but seemed to disappear for long stretches.

Maybe it is just me, but I think Hudler and Samuelsson were both products of the Red Wings system. A lot of their contributions came from being in the right place at the right time, and there are many people capable of producing as much. I don't know how Leino or Helm will play being full time red wings, but if history tells us anything, they should be just fine. With another signing (I think jason williams would be awesome to get back) the wings should field a team very similar to 07-08. Yes, Chicago should be much improved and San Jose should continue to be a powerhouse, but I would be scared of the red wings when they will be out to prove they are still a top tier team. Babcock, known for making his teams work hard and earn everything, let the reins loose a little bit last year, and that will not happen again. Lets throw a little optimism in here because we still have one of the best teams (and i think the best team) in the NHL playing in motown.

Go Wings.

I agree with everything you said except for wanting Williams back...

To me, sign Prospal and this off-season goes from bleek to awesome over night...

You put thought into your post instead of saying the world is ending and the Wings are going back to the way they were in the 70's and early 80's, and Ken Holland sucks for not magically finding a way to keep depth and all the guys who left.. what's wrong with you? Are you sure you belong on this board.

I agree with most of your stuff. This team will be fine. Their defense is one of the best 7 in the league honestly. And their top 6 forwards are better than most teams in the league. And 9 of the 11 forwards currently on the roster helped win a Cup 2 years ago. If their team defense and goaltending improve, as I think I've said 100 times on here, they won't miss last years offense as much since defense and goaltending wasn't a word used by the Wings much at all last year. Granted they do still need to replace some of that offense.

As for Williams I don't know about him. He was good in 06 but hasn't been the same since that hit, even though he didn't do terrible when he left here. And come playoff time I don't see him producing. On the offensive side of things I would rather take a shot at Sykora or Prospal on one year deals but that's me and just my opinion.

Guest Shoreline

WE'RE NOT GOING TO BE FINE. WE HAVEN'T SPLASHED AND SPENT OURSLVES 30+MILLION OVER THE CAP.. THIS OFFSEASON IS FAIL. KENNY DOESN'T WANT A CUP. FIRE HIM. THIS TEAM ISN'T TOUGH ENOUGH. THIS TEAM ISN'T DEEP ENOUGH. F-YOU BETTMAN.

Your post is dead-on. . . except for Williams. He was here and is now gone. I think there are reasons for that. And like Williams, I wouldn't want Bertuzzi back either. It's a very rare thing in sports to have a player return AND have equal or better success. I would rather see new blood brought in and roll the dice with how they adapt to the Wings system, both physically and mentally. Williams and Bertuzzi have baggage that the team does not need.

I still say the Wings should be looking at Malhotra.

Looking forward to a great 2009-10 and watching Lidstrom call it a career by hoisting the Cup.

Your post is dead-on. . . except for Williams. He was here and is now gone. I think there are reasons for that. And like Williams, I wouldn't want Bertuzzi back either. It's a very rare thing in sports to have a player return AND have equal or better success. I would rather see new blood brought in and roll the dice with how they adapt to the Wings system, both physically and mentally. Williams and Bertuzzi have baggage that the team does not need.

I still say the Wings should be looking at Malhotra.

Looking forward to a great 2009-10 and watching Lidstrom call it a career by hoisting the Cup.

Malhotra is my #2 choice... he was my #1 before Prospal became available...

I would be pretty damn pumped if Holland managed to sign both.

And just one would be great....

I agree that the Wings will be fine next year, they may not be as explosive offensively on multiple lines, but last year was definitely an aberration in the modern NHL. Our top 6 forwards are as solid as any group in the league, not overly flashy, superior defensively.

If we bring in any new forwards, we need to avoid re-treads like Bertuzzi and Williams and find someone who has something to prove and will sign for less than market value due to having an off year last season (like Prospal or Sykora) or someone who has had a bigger role and expectations elsewhere and would be willing to come and play on our 3rd/4th line for cheap and contribute in a lesser role (like Pyatt or Malhotra)

Our defense is not as atrocious as it is made out to be, granted we were worse in 08/09 than in 07/08, but again I think that was a fluke rather than a trend. Lidstrom/Rafalski is arguably the best #1 pairing in the game today, and if we separate Kronwall and Stuart, I think both will have better seasons in 09/10. Ericsson is an emerging star, and Lilja (if he's healthy) is a solid partner for any of our 3-6 d-men, Lebda may end up being the trade casualty, which would not be a tremendous loss but I would be bummed.

No one can expect that Osgood will be as horrible as last year, clearly his head was not in the game for much of the season and we were fortunate to have Conklin there to pick up the slack. Now that he has his head on straight, I expect Ozzie to continue to be solid, and Howard will have to live up to the faith the organization has had in him, otherwise we could be out the door at the deadline.

All in all, I look forward to seeing how our core responds to losing in game 7, I expect our team to be that much more hungry and to surprise a lot of people by remaining an elite contender despite the mass exodus of free agents this off-season.

Go Wings

Yeah it seems like everyone is panicking a little too much. In a cap world every team is going to have years where they are loaded with talent at less than or equal to market value and you're going to have years where you have veterans eating up more cap space than you'd like. Considering the Wings are basically looking at this season as the only season where we really have any cap trouble before getting some breathign space we should be looking at it as an oppotunity to let some of our young guys grow and mature while our superstars lead the way. We are still a contender and will prove it throughout the season. If this year is our 'off year' and we come back even stronger all of us shoudl be thanking god that even in our off year we're still better than the vast majority of teams in this league. Not many teams would be able to plug 4+ rookies into their lineup and be competitive let alone a contender. That is the luxury we as Wings fans have. Our depth is our saving grace this year and as we move forward it is up to the organization to rebuild that depth while our young players transform into mainstays on this team for years to come. Helmd, Leino, and Ericsson are part of a very bright future for this club and Howard and Abdelkader have a good shot at being strong contributers as well. No other team has this luxury

I would be pretty damn pumped if Holland managed to sign both.

And just one would be great....

same here, that'd be amazing... although I think we just don't have the space... even if we get Prospal for under 2, that only leaves about 1 for Malhotra and I'm pretty sure someone else will offer him at least 1.5, but you never know...

work your magic Kenny!

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Prospal-Filppula-Franzen

Leino-Helm-Cleary

Draper-Malhotra-Maltby

YES PLEASE!!

Edited by stevkrause

same here, that'd be amazing... although I think we just don't have the space... even if we get Prospal for under 2, that only leaves about 1 for Malhotra and I'm pretty sure someone else will offer him at least 1.5, but you never know...

work your magic Kenny!

Prospal-Filppula-Franzen

Leino-Helm-Cleary

Draper-Malhotra-Maltby

YES PLEASE!!

I'm holding my breath for $1.5m apiece!

Guest Four

Let's go Holland!

*dun dun dundundun*

Let's go Holland!

*dun dun dundundun*

Get 'er done!

Malhotra has been my #1 this whole time. It just seems everyone else has Grier syndrome.

work your magic Kenny!

Prospal-Filppula-Franzen

Leino-Helm-Cleary

Draper-Malhotra-Maltby

YES PLEASE!!

That would be frickin killer.

work your magic Kenny!

Prospal-Filppula-Franzen

Leino-Helm-Cleary

Draper-Malhotra-Maltby

YES PLEASE!!

o ma gawd YES PLZZZ i would totalyl watch every game with that AWESOMEEE line up!!!!!

PLZ KENNY SING VINNY PROPSAL!!!!!!!!!

676800_4.jpg

Malhotra has been my #1 this whole time. It just seems everyone else has Grier syndrome.

Maybe 'cause they don't want to have to witness him flailing at the puck and batting it past Osgood?

I think the Wings'll be fine. We know Hossa didn't make Datsyuk, and Franzen isn't a fluke. Osgood isn't washed-up and Zetterberg can still shut down the best player in the league. We've got rookies with more playoff experience than guys who are captains on other teams. Our depth will only take a hit this season, if one is so inclined to look at it that way. We've got a great core. Even in an injury-plagued season Nick is a Norris trophy finalist.

Losing hurts, but it's a good motivator.

I think the Wings'll be fine. We know Hossa didn't make Datsyuk, and Franzen isn't a fluke. Osgood isn't washed-up and Zetterberg can still shut down the best player in the league. We've got rookies with more playoff experience than guys who are captains on other teams. Our depth will only take a hit this season, if one is so inclined to look at it that way. We've got a great core. Even in an injury-plagued season Nick is a Norris trophy finalist.

Great points.

We will be a solid team this year. I am excited to see how the rookies will be this season and stoked to see how our top 6 light it up.

I think it's kind of funny. Due to the insane depth we had as an orginazation last year we're able to remain contenders this year after losing the personel we did. We're still contenders and we will continue to replenish out depth this year while still remaining very competitive. Once Holland makes another move or two to shore up our roster for the season we'll be in very good shape heading into next summer. This team is only getting better. Guys liek Datsyuk, Franzen and Zetterberg are in their prime and hitting their peak. Guys like Cleary, Kronwall, and Stuart are hitting their stride and the young guys like Leino, Helm and Ericsson are getting the experience they need to move on up to the enxt level. Persoanlly I think we're going to have a very exciting young, fast team

If by fine you mean we'll be in the playoffs than of course.

However, on paper this team right now doesn't look that much better than the other top contenders. We need to add more grit and hunger. Basically the kinds of players who'll do anything to win the Cup.

If by fine you mean we'll be in the playoffs than of course.

However, on paper this team right now doesn't look that much better than the other top contenders. We need to add more grit and hunger. Basically the kinds of players who'll do anything to win the Cup.

That's why people are advocating bringing in guys like Grier, Malhotra, Prospal, Peca, and other veterans who have something to prove and may very well sign for cheap to get the opportunity to have that shot.

Edited by bonan78