139 replies to this topic

#1 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

Via Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun, link from the London Free Press:

The NHL is investigating whether Marian Hossa’s new 12-year, $62.8-million (all terms US) contract with the Blackhawks circumvents the collective bargaining agreement and the salary cap, Sun Media has learned.

The ’Hawks could be facing a maximum fine of $5 million and the loss of draft picks if the league’s investigation uncovers proof of allegations that Chicago discussed the possibility of Hossa retiring before the end of the deal, which would end Hossa’s cap hit.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the investigation in an e-mail yesterday, stating that league officials are concerned with the structure of the contract.

What it boils down to is Hossa’s cap hit over the 12 years is $5.23 million a season, but for the first seven years, he’ll make $7.9 million a season before dropping to $4 million in 2016-17.

It’s the final four years of the deal that have the NHL up in arms as Hossa is scheduled to earn $3.5 million, period.

If Hossa were to retire after the eighth season, the $5.23-million cap hit would disappear, too.

“We’re trying to understand how it was negotiated and whether the intent and effect is to circumvent the cap,” wrote Daly.

“This was the first of the long-term contracts that took a player out past the age 40 and the value of the contract in its ‘out years’ was dramatically lower than its early years.

“We want to know if the possibility of player retirement was ever discussed or even contemplated.”

“The NHL is looking to put a damper on these 10-plus-year contracts with throwaway years tacked on at the end,” a league executive said last night. “They are building a strong case against Chicago to make an example of them.

"This issue won’t just go away. Lots of other GMs are supporting the league here.”

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#2 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

Heh heh.

And it looks like Zata and Mule wouldn't be under scrutiny for their deals due to the fact they end before the age of 40.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#3 Zetsthebest

Zetsthebest

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

HAHA!!

#4 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:23 PM

HAHA rotflmao.gif
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#5 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

Wow it must really suck to be a Blackhawks fan.

#6 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

Geez that team is having a lot of paperwork problems this offseason.

#7 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

Of course he'll retire before the end of that contract.

Was that know by both parties going into this? Good luck proving that.

Posted Image

#8 MadMan Mark

MadMan Mark

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:55 PM

agreed, good luck proving those retirement discussions ever came up. . . but if they do prove it, more financial hell for a team who spent $62M+ for a guy who might give them 1/3 to 1/2 of a season, had to re-sign RFA's at UFA money, overpaying in bonuses for the upcoming year, and probably going to lose 1 or 2 of their young, core players. . . Hawks better make this year worth it, but I think they already have. . .they have Kopecky

#9 Snazzy

Snazzy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

Wow, just wow!

So... does the fine count against their cap?
“I do this real moron thing, it's called thinking, and I'm not a very good Amercian because I like to form my own opionions.” -G. Carlin

#10 LidstromIsASuperhero

LidstromIsASuperhero

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:05 PM

I just hope that this doesn't come back at us in any way, what with the two contracts we have structured like that for Hank and Mule.

#11 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

#12 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:12 PM

Looks good on them. Has all offseason.

#NOMOREKINDL

#13 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (MadMan Mark @ July 30, 2009 - 11:55PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
agreed, good luck proving those retirement discussions ever came up. . . but if they do prove it, more financial hell for a team who spent $62M+ for a guy who might give them 1/3 to 1/2 of a season, had to re-sign RFA's at UFA money, overpaying in bonuses for the upcoming year, and probably going to lose 1 or 2 of their young, core players. . . Hawks better make this year worth it, but I think they already have. . .they have Kopecky

I still think the NHL is going to really put it to them, I mean they are going to try and make an example of Chi. That to me means they are really going to try and stick it to them. GOOD!
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#14 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:29 PM

-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#15 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (MadMan Mark @ July 30, 2009 - 09:55PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's missing the first 25% of the season. That's hardly someone who "might give them 1/3 to 1/2 of a season".
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#16 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

I think the Blackhawks organization is really having a hard time understanding this whole paper work thingy.

I thought Stan Bowman was this capologist and CBA guru!
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#17 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:57 PM

Replace Bettman's head on the "Mismanagement" picture with Talon/Stan Bowman.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#18 numberthirtynine

numberthirtynine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:10 AM

Sometimes I think we've got the wrong people running these front offices. They know the technical aspect of coming to work and wearing the suit and knowing who to talk to and what to say....but when it comes down to it, I think the previous couple of seasons are proof that complicated mathematical figures confuse the f*** out of these men. Alot of folks online are sports knowitalls and everyone has an opinion but I think we can all agree even the smartest ones would be in over their head running a sports team-but in this case, just from a math and sensible decision standpoint, I think there are some people much more qualified than some of these schmuck GMs to make moves like this.

Sports in general, needs to drop the whole attitude of giving office jobs to ex players, just because they were players. Because that's NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON. Cripes, the NFL has done this so badly they've completely f***ed up most of the league from a talent building perspective. The sport is practically inbred. I won`t even start on how bad it is in the southern states. I half expect to see Leatherface on the sideline. Yet they're so insanely successful in spite of it, no one does anything. The color guys, the analysts, a ton of writers, too many coaches and a wack of GMs are all ex players and are as stupid as rocks, and they don't even have a real cap to deal with(just look at the DHB situation in Oakland).

Now look at the NHL-we can't succeed like the NFL can in spite of stupidity like this and we certainly, and quite obviously, have a more complicated and tight cap to work with. And a league that is actual competition. So unless owners start hiring GMs who can actually work with the salary cap, a load of teams are going to be going south for a good while and it`ll be easy to see coming. Tallon`s firing was easier to spot a mile away than a two mile long meteor.

Edited by numberthirtynine, 31 July 2009 - 12:11 AM.

#19 deetroit dario

deetroit dario

i ride on two wheels, and they both have wings!

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (numberthirtynine @ July 31, 2009 - 01:10AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I half expect to see Leatherface on the sideline.

now, why would you bench a big boy like leatherface? sheesh, guys what...6' 4", something like 260-270? (i'm going by "classic" leatherface, gunnar hansen)

i think he played linebacker in school, if i recall correctly.
chain saws in football. now that, i'll watch!

as for the hossa contract/chicago (should we just call it "cago", since its chi is obviously too effed up to be included anymore?) situation, i've only 2 words.
ha.....

...ha!

RAISE #16 TO THE RAFTERS!!!

i think, therefore i'm rare.

#20 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:26 AM

So lets say the nhl comes to the conclusion that the hawks aref****** with the cap with the structure of the contract. how will they go about negating hossa's contract? do they make them restructure the deal?.... any thoughts?