• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#21 Probie

Probie

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:38 AM

Wow, the difference between deals of Hossa, Z, and Mule are not that far apart. We must have been real close to being investigated if they decided to try and work over Hossa....

#22 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (Probie @ July 31, 2009 - 02:38AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, the difference between deals of Hossa, Z, and Mule are not that far apart. We must have been real close to being investigated if they decided to try and work over Hossa....

I think Z and Franzen just set the ball rolling. They were the first of their kind in some ways to sign such deals. I wasn't so surprised about Franzen's slipping under but I was a bit surprised about Z's not taking more heat. I had a feeling they'd get away with it, but I also had a feeling that the league would do all they could to prevent such deals in the future. That looks to indeed be the case at this point.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#23 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:44 AM

“We’re trying to understand how it was negotiated and whether the intent and effect is to circumvent the cap,” wrote Daly.

Of course they were trying to circumvent the cap! Thats why teams sign players to these long term contracts!

*shakes head*

Honestly, the stupidity of this league never ceases to amaze me. What Chicago, Detroit etc do with these long-term contracts is within the rules - exploiting clauses in them to their own benefit - but within the rules neverthless. If the league doesn't like it, instead of making themselves look stupid, how about tightening the rules next time the CBA comes up for renewal.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#24 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (Nev @ July 31, 2009 - 03:44AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course they were trying to circumvent the cap! Thats why teams sign players to these long term contracts!

*shakes head*

Honestly, the stupidity of this league never ceases to amaze me. What Chicago, Detroit etc do with these long-term contracts is within the rules - exploiting clauses in them to their own benefit - but within the rules neverthless. If the league doesn't like it, instead of making themselves look stupid, how about tightening the rules next time the CBA comes up for renewal.

Or go with a soft cap. NVM.

I agree with everything you said though. Of course the Hawks and Hossa had a good idea that he probably wouldn't live out the end of that contract.

I just don't see how they can punish the Hawks w/o proving they did indeed do this.

Edited by rage, 31 July 2009 - 02:59 AM.

Posted Image

#25 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE (Nev @ July 31, 2009 - 03:44AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, the stupidity of this league never ceases to amaze me.

I can see the NHL top brass at the big meeting table saying, "Damn, we've been outsmarted again. Let's fine someone for being smarter than us. That should fix 'em but good. And we'll make it the Hawks, because they were our next poster team and they've made asses of themselves and they're still smarter than us." ranting.gif "And see if they play a Sunday matinee on NBC, not now they won't. Teach them to be smart." ranting.gif flamingmad.gif ranting.gif

#26 #19forPresident!

#19forPresident!

Yzerman in 2012

• PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:41 AM

Geez their front office has been as loose as a 7 year old playing Monopoly this summer.

That kind of spending is pretty damned amazing coming from a big league organization.

Edit: also IDK who has loose lips in Chi Town, but I thought the retirement thing was implied enough without someone providing enough evidence for the league to move on it.

Edited by #19forPresident!, 31 July 2009 - 03:43 AM.

Missing: One win. Last seen: June 2009 in Detroit, MI Description: Approximately 3 ft tall, engraved silver, sweet and enjoyable personality, life of the party

"They would have to carry me off on a stretcher to keep me from playing at this time of the year." - Steve Yzerman

#27 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:09 AM

I can imagine how this will be investigated...

- Mr. Hossa did you have in mind retiring before 40 by signing this contract?
- No.
- Mr. Bowman/Tallon did you talk to Mr. Hossa about retiring before 40 when negotiated that contract?
- No.
- Ladies and gentleman! Everything is fine.

I mean they have no tools to carry out any sort of investigation. Asking straighforwadly will always lead to lying. That is all.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#28 40#1Fan

40#1Fan

4th Line Grinder

• HoF Booster
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (gcom007 @ July 31, 2009 - 03:26AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Z and Franzen just set the ball rolling. They were the first of their kind in some ways to sign such deals. I wasn't so surprised about Franzen's slipping under but I was a bit surprised about Z's not taking more heat. I had a feeling they'd get away with it, but I also had a feeling that the league would do all they could to prevent such deals in the future. That looks to indeed be the case at this point.

From MLIVE:

http://blog.mlive.co...ing_better.html

Update #2, still the middle of the night: The Globe and Mail's James Mirtle isn't happy with the fact that this will probably go nowhere, but the point is clearly that the Red Wings at least believe that Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen can fulfill the balances of their respective contracts, while the Blackhawks probably negotiated the deal with a very specific retirement date in mind.

#29 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:07 AM

I find this funny, but I don't see how the Hawks can get in trouble for it, unless the NHL has a source inside. But all that that guy would be doing is guaranteeing that he never gets another job with any sports franchise for the rest of his life.

This screw-up will go alongside the other dumb things that were done this summer, but I don't think that they'll get penalised for it. The Hawks are one of the many teams to have found a way around the CBA. Fair enough. The NHL is just being pissy.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:09 AM

So if they want to prevent this from happening again, just add a clause that long-term contracts may not extend to an age beyond 40.

Until then, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care if it is the Hawks. If they got around the Cap and didn't break the rules, good on them.

#31 Wingseroo

Wingseroo

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:05 AM

Do not compare Zetts deal with this one... The difference in pay at the back end of this one is a lot different... I said when he got signed by Chicago looked like a 6 or so year deal with a buyout or retirement... Zetts will play out his contract or have money added depending on the market in a few years... These deals are nothing alike...

#32 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

If they do end up finding this to be an 'illegal' contract, is that all that happens is fines + loss of draft picks? I'd assume that they'd void Hossa's current contract along with that, forcing them to either re-negotiate or other teams able to offer him contract. Anyone know the answer to that?

#33 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:13 AM

Well first DUH NHL! I knew this when he signed it. Hossa will not play till he's 42. Anyone who thought he would is stupid. He won't be nearly as affective after age 38 and everyone knew this.

As far as Hanks deal I can see him more likely to play till he's 40. Yzerman and Larionov did it and I think he could do the same. Won't be as dominant but still can contribute. Franzen I'm not as sure about. But he did start as a checker so he could go back to that MAYBE.

#34 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

They couldn't penalize the Hawks. They've done nothing wrong. This is probably a sign that the NHL is going to move to close the loophole as soon as they can - and making an example of the Hawks would be the easiest way of doing that. Still not sure how they can prove anything...
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#35 JPT

JPT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

What kind of evidence or proof can the league have of this? Waste of time for the NHL.

No way Z plays to 40. He already has back issues and isn't the smoothest of skaters.

#36 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (JPT @ July 31, 2009 - 03:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of evidence or proof can the league have of this? Waste of time for the NHL.

No way Z plays to 40. He already has back issues and isn't the smoothest of skaters.

I'd still say it's more likely Z plays to 40 than it is that Hossa plays til he's 42.

As much as I like the Z and Franzen deals and the cap hits they give us, I think maybe the league should have some kind of limit to how many years you can sign a player to beyond the age of say, 35.
Meaning you could sign a 20 year old to a 15 year contract, but a 30 year old you can only sign to maybe 7-8 years at the most.

#37 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

Has he applied for IOD benefits yet?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#38 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ July 31, 2009 - 09:34AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As much as I like the Z and Franzen deals and the cap hits they give us, I think maybe the league should have some kind of limit to how many years you can sign a player to beyond the age of say, 35.
Meaning you could sign a 20 year old to a 15 year contract, but a 30 year old you can only sign to maybe 7-8 years at the most.

I could very much see that in the next CBA. The NHL brought this on themselves though. They didn't want guys getting different cap hits each year as a way to get around the cap so they made it the average of the contract. Didn't take long for GM's to see how to get around that.

#39 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

Hossa's contract was approved by the NHL -- What we have here is a squeeler! Sweet!
Someone within or close to the Chicago organization is tattling (over the retirement talk), or they would have absolutely nothing to go on and certainly would not have made this public.

There's a lot of bad blood in and out of that office. Classic case of "Who Dunnit?"
Tallon or one of his minions? - everyone knows Tallon wanted to sign Havlat and not Hossa.
Who's the rat?

Edited by egroen, 31 July 2009 - 08:56 AM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#40 MadMan Mark

MadMan Mark

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ July 30, 2009 - 09:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's missing the first 25% of the season. That's hardly someone who "might give them 1/3 to 1/2 of a season".

Do you really think he's only going to miss 25%? The mighty PR dept of the Hawks has come out BEFORE the surgery and says he'll be back in December. . . I'll bet you won't see him on the ice until mid-Jan at the earliest.