• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

hockey23

Wings sign Patrick Eaves to 1-year/$500k deal

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Any solid info on this guy? What kind of player he is? I dont know too much about him.. except well he has pretty good stats in NHL 09..

Uhh and TSN website confirms nothing yet, unless you Canadians are talking about TSN sportscenter

I watched some of his games in Ottawa. He's still young, only 25. Has always had a scorers touch but hasn't had alot of premier playing time.

I think he'll do well with the right linemates. I think he'll score more goals than most people expect he will.

He is a pretty good skater which helps. Another young guy who can move his legs

MLive has posted the TSN article, for what it's worth. Interesting signing, it looks like he has potential (based on his first two seasons). He does have a few fights, but all against people like Miroslav Satan and Glenn Metropolit. It looks like Tucker worked him over but good in a fight, and Colby Armstrong has gotten him with a good hit. That is all Youtube has to offer... Based on the fact that he's gotten a buy-out, I imagine this will be quite cheap. This means that perhaps we can get a cheap grinder, and have some cap room left for possible trade deadline moves (this is how I see it at least). However, Kenny in an interview said that he was looking for two players who could each contribute circa 15 goals, so maybe Eaves is just the first one. Say no to Justin Williams! Say yes to Blair Betts!

Guest Shoreline
s*** eh, why does NHL.com list him as from Alberta? Well now I dont like this deal so much, hopefully its for cheap cheap cheap.

Oh he was born in AB. He just grew up in the US. I just wanted to taunt you with something. :P

Like, one of the only golds the US ever won in hockey. I know how much you guys loved Hullie.

Edited by Shoreline

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Always liked Eaves. Thumbs up to this signing. :thumbup:

It's a quintessential Ken Holland signing isn't it.

A guy sort of forgotten in the shuffle.

A guy who has scored 20 goals in the NHL.

A guy who is relatively young and seems to have decent offensive instincts.

Carolina/Boston didn't really have a spot for him and with his buyout, Holland can swoop in and get another deal/steal.

This is the kind of thing that makes Ken Holland a superb GM. What's the worst that could happen? He doesn't produce for his small contract. Meh... Of course there's alot of room for reward.

Think about Sammy's first contract and how he produced. Lots of potential for minimal risk.

Ken Holland is da man!

Guest Shoreline
It's a quintessential Ken Holland signing isn't it.

A guy sort of forgotten in the shuffle.

A guy who has scored 20 goals in the NHL.

A guy who is relatively young and seems to have decent offensive instincts.

Carolina/Boston didn't really have a spot for him and with his buyout, Holland can swoop in and get another deal/steal.

This is the kind of thing that makes Ken Holland a superb GM. What's the worst that could happen? He doesn't produce for his small contract. Meh... Of course there's alot of room for reward.

Think about Sammy's first contract and how he produced. Lots of potential for minimal risk.

Ken Holland is da man!

Very optimistic, even if I think it's overrating him a tad. Very nice, and well put. :thumbup:

Very optimistic, even if I think it's overrating him a tad. Very nice, and well put. :thumbup:

if we signed him below 1 mill we still have room for one more scorer and will have a guy who could replace some of what we lost on the 3rd line with the departure of hudler, without the high price tag.

Summary from MLIVE:

Great pick-up. Here's what I wrote about Eaves when the Carolina Hurricanes bought him out:

July 25, MLive.com: I look at someone like the player the B's are buying out in Patrick Eaves, a 25-year-old who made $1.4 million last season and will receive a buyout of $933,333.34 spread out over the next four seasons (he had two years remaining on his contract), as someone that the Red Wings might take a stab at if he's willing to play for a highly discounted rate. The 5'11," 190-lb. winger came into the league as a highly-heralded prospect for the Ottawa Senators, but he topped out at 20 goals during his first season and 34 points in his second, with his speed, skill, and forechecking producing very little since his trade to Carolina.

The Patrick Eaveses and Taylor Pyatts of the hockey world offer the kind of, "We'll sign you to an entry-level deal if you do well in camp, and then we'll see what you can do" punch that the Wings are looking for, with Dan Cleary serving as the best example of a player counted down and out of the NHL delivering on his promise, and Brent Sopel's decision to turn down a contract from the Wings to head to Chicago and fade into the background as a non-playing millstone as the worst result.

I have no better guesses as to who the Wings might target than you do, but I can at least definitively state that the Wings will not trade a promising young prospect, nor a contributing player for a short-term fix. The Wings will go after a forward or two who is either willing to take a discount to play for Detroit and reestablish himself, or is plain old willing to sign a near-entry level deal ($550,000 to $750,000) because he's got to prove that he belongs in the NHL, period.

The Sports Forecaster describes Eaves thusly:

The Sports Forecaster: RW/LW Patrick Eaves Age: 25 Date of birth: May 01, 1984 Place of birth: Calgary, Alta., Canada Ht: 5-11 Wt: 190 Shoots: R Salary: $1,100,000 NHL Seasons: 4 Drafted by Ottawa in 2003 (1/29).

ASSETS: Is an excellent skater and fore-checker. Anticipates plays well at both ends of the ice, and displays all-around ability. Owns intriguing scoring upside.

FLAWS: Still needs more bulk in order to thrive at the NHL level. Could use more fine-tuning in all aspects of the game.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Top six winger.

This is the type of player the Wings just might be able to turn around and salvage (see: Cleary, Samuelsson). Now, since Eaves is clearly a project player he better have come cheap.

Sounds like a good depth signing anyway, the Wings just need to get him to actually play up to his potential.

anyone care to project the lines?

No idea until we get the 12th man, but rest assured Eaves will be expected to play a 3rd/4th line role.

Zetterberg Datsyuk Cleary

Franzen Filppula Leino

Eaves Helm ?

Maltby Draper Holmstrom

Guest mindfly

Is this another depth signing or has this guy a very good chance of playing in detroit this fall?

Edited by mindfly