• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Shanahan parts ways with Devils

Rate this topic

From TSN :

Brendan Shanahan has decided that he will not play for the New Jersey Devils this season.

The 40-year old winger, who re-signed with the Devils over the summer with the intention of playing a 22nd NHL campaign, released a statement on Thursday that said that he has reconsidered his plans for the coming season.

"When I signed this past summer, Lou Lamoriello, Jacques Lemaire, and I agreed that if we were unable to find a suitable fit in which I would be able to compete and contribute at the level I expect from myself, then I would simply step aside," said Shanahan in the statement. "I have great respect for Lou, Jacques, and the entire Devils' organization. This decision is both mutual and amicable."

Shanahan did not announce his retirement, however. He said that he will take several weeks with his family to consider his plans for the future.

wow... didn't see that coming, how depressing... similar to how he left Detroit, allowing the organization to move on instead of allowing himself to remain obsolete. I really hope he finds a place somewhere, hate to think of a league with Steve AND Shanny.

Don't be surprised if Montreal makes a pitch for him. If Montreal can offer him a decent contract I'm sure he will sign with them. Considering the Habs we're trying to get him when he left Detroit. I guess we got to wait and see.

My guess is Shanny will be announcing his retirement sometime in the next couple weeks. Although It would be sweet to sign him so he can retire a Red Wing.

Agreed. I know it's not a realistic situation, but I'd still like it to see it happen.

I'd still welcome him back to the Wings, but it will never happen.

Damn straight.

Shanahan was my favorite player for years as a kid, even when he played in St. Louis. He was the guy I tried to model my play after, and regardless of what team he plays for, I always have been and always will be a Shanny fan. I wish him the best of luck with a new team or in retirement.

Shanny for Commish!

Step aside, Gary. Let's show you how the sport could look with a real hockey man in charge.

I'm totally serious about this, but if it's not to be, I wish Shanny luck where ever he goes.

Guest Shoreline

Unfortunate for Shanny, but it's getting to be that time for him. Wonder where he'll go after retirement. And no, I do not want him back on the Wings as a player. Kinda silly to suggest it.

Edited by Shoreline

Just when i was gonna post how i was glad no one really said anything about Shanny coming back to Detroit, a couple people had to weezle their way in.

Wow. :::slapping my hand:::

BAD poster! BAD POSTER!!!

And yes. I realize that for even suggesting it, I'm gonna have to live with that the rest of my life...

:ph34r:

Meanwhile, I agree with Karen. Shanny would make a GREAT NHL type leader. They might finally have some cojones and new ideas.

Guest Crymson
If he's done with the Devils, he's done with the league. He went back to his original team to finish his career.

I really doubt this was the case. Nothing has suggested that Shanahan felt any real connection with the Devils. Rather, he was vocally frustrated at the Rangers` reluctance to offer him a contract in the '08 offseason, and the Devils were willing to sign him; and as New Jersey is very close to NYC, signing with them meant that Shanahan would not need to uproot his family and move again.

As for those who would 'welcome him back' to the team: I think you'd feel rather silly when he became the official whipping boy pretty soon. I can envision repeated statements of "Shanahan is too old", "he's taking up a valuable roster spot", etc.; and I bet some of the personalities who would have been excited about his signing would have also been those who would have turned against him very quickly once he actually hit the ice. He's old, he's slow, and he's defensive jelly.

Bring him back to Detroit and get him into the broadcast booth where he can bump Larry out of his position as Mickey's back-up. Then, he becomes heir apparent to Mickey (whose awesome and I hope he stays forever) because Shanny has a great personality and would probably make a great color guy.

Make it happen Kenny.