• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

The FINAL ROSTER is SET...lines?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Something Holland said this off-season has me re-thinking these lines...

He said, paraphrasing - This team will score less goals, and play better defense.

That's gotta mean Hank and Pav will be split, right?

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

...This was Bab's go-to #1 scoring/shut down line in the post-season (at full strength, at least). We know it's solid. You could maybe trade Cleary and Homer to give Pav a little help.

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Williams

...This line's a little suspect with two sub-par defenders in Homer and Jason, but having the league's very best in that category in the middle helps out quite a bit. Someone put it nicely earlier, Homer is worthless without Pav. Indeed he is. Here we've got Homer in front of the net, Pav doing his thing, and J-Will with the occassional Sammy Snipe. Might work out well.

Leino-Filppula-Eaves

...POTENTIAL. This line certainly would have quite a bit of that, wouldn't it? This could end up being the best third line in hockey. We've got the great distributing two-way phenom-to-be that is Flip. We've got the point machine on the verge of breaking out that is Leino. And we've got a tremendous defender with untapped scoring potential in Patrick Eaves is well. This could be...excellent.

Maltby-Helm-Draper

...Solid 4th line. I know that people hate to see Helmer on the 4th line, but if we're gonna roll 4, we gotta have some talent throughout. He's exciting, but he's by no means a scoring center. He belongs either here or on the third line, and since we've got Flip on the third, here he is. This line certainly wouldn't give up any goals. And with Helm's energy (and hopefully Abby's in the post-season), it could score a few as well.

Edited by blueadams

With Lilja still having issues, it isn't a stretch that he might be on LTIR for a long time. If that is the case, that leaves over $1M is cap space. There is no guarantee that the roster is set. Especially since you stated that 13th Fwd is TBA. That equals not set!!

Guest blueadams
With Lilja still having issues, it isn't a stretch that he might be on LTIR for a long time. If that is the case, that leaves over $1M is cap space. There is no guarantee that the roster is set. Especially since you stated that 13th Fwd is TBA. That equals not set!!

well, i mean, aside from the 13th forward its set...i dont think that we're going to be displacing williams, eaves or maltby with that signing. give me a break.

The 13th spot will (likely) be won at camp... I have been hearing through a family member of a player in the organization, that Oulahen may be a favorite, based on his lack of waiver exempt status and defensive prowess... However, it will likely be won at camp by someone who has a couple years under their belt in the AHL, perhaps McGrath, Williams or Newbury will compete for it as well as the Wings would rather keep their own recent draft picks in the minors for another year or two to try and develop them a bit more (Abdelkader, Emmerton, Mursak, Ritola).

Edited by p_diddy_datsyuk_13

Guest blueadams
The 13th spot will (likely) be won at camp... I have been hearing through a family member of a player in the organization, that Oulahen may be a favorite, based on his lack of waiver exempt status and defensive prowess... However, it will likely be won at camp by someone who has a couple years under their belt in the AHL, perhaps McGrath, Williams or Newbury will compete for it as well as the Wings would rather keep their own recent draft picks in the minors for another year or two to try and develop them a bit more (Abdelkader, Emmerton, Mursak, Ritola).

...im guessing that we're going to sign someone. If lilja's not healthy, we'll have some extra cap space to work with. If he is healthy, then we'll trade meech, and we'll have some cap space to work with. So, thats the deal, we're going to have some cap space...and if thats the case...and we dont use it on a free agent...itll be abby.

Guest blueadams
Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Cleary

Franzen-Filpula-Leino

Eaves-Helm-Williams

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Tough Guy/Oulahan/Meech/FA signing

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericssson-Lilja/Lebda

Meech/Delmore/Janik

Osgood

Howard

u really think that leinos a 2nd line player? u really think that we're going to put homer on the 4th line? u might need to be re-introduced to reality, friend.

Guest blueadams
This is like your 8th thread about lines, howsabout make 1 LINE thread and stick with it?

i would gladly delete the others if i could...those were about potential lines if we signed burt, prospal, etc...now we KNOW what we've got!!

u really think that leinos a 2nd line player? u really think that we're going to put homer on the 4th line? u might need to be re-introduced to reality, friend.

Leino will be on the 2nd line this season, he almost put up a point per game this year in the AHL and NHL, and homer probably will be moved down in favor of Cleary considering he's getting older, slowing down, and getting injured more consistently. On the power play i'd guess ZDH will be re-united though.

Franzen-Filpula-Leino

Eaves-Helm-Williams

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericssson-Lilja/Lebda

Meech/Delmore/Janik

Osgood

Howard

holmstrom on the fourth line ? wtf

Guest blueadams
Leino will be on the 2nd line this season, he almost put up a point per game this year in the AHL and NHL, and homer probably will be moved down in favor of Cleary considering he's getting older, slowing down, and getting injured more consistently. On the power play i'd guess ZDH will be re-united though.

here's how i see it man,

injured or not, homer has looked completely lost out in the open ice. he's still FANTASTIC in front of the net, however. I'd like to have him doing what he does productively on more than just the power play. If you've got him out there with hank and pav, he'll hardly even need to touch the puck. if you've got him out there with malts and drapes...its going to be a disaster (who will control the puck!). by putting him on the 1st line, u allow a good player like leino to drop to the 3rd, and a good player like eaves to drop to the 4th.

Yes, Leino showed he's got talent and is strong on the boards and down low. With Franzen and Filppula he's perfect. Homer doesnt deserve anything but the 4th line, all he does anymore is hit, his shot is gone, he could barely ever skate, I love him, but he should be on the 4th line, and on the PP stuck right in front of the goalie.

Why is it so hard for people to understand Homers a 4th line guy now? He doesnt fit on a line with Helm, he isnt skilled enough to play on a line without Z and Datsyuk that is relied upon to score. If he isnt on the 4th line, he'll be on the top line much like he was in previous years. I love Homer to death, but I dont think he has it in him anymore.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

here's how i see it man,

injured or not, homer has looked completely lost out in the open ice. he's still FANTASTIC in front of the net, however. I'd like to have him doing what he does productively on more than just the power play. If you've got him out there with hank and pav, he'll hardly even need to touch the puck. if you've got him out there with malts and drapes...its going to be a disaster (who will control the puck!).by putting him on the 1st line, u allow a good player like leino to drop to the 3rd, and a good player like eaves to drop to the 4th.

There's your problem. There's a BIG reason why Holland didn't sign a bonafied 20+ goal scorer, and that's because he's looking for the young'ns to step up, namely Filp and LEINO. If Leino is playing 3rd line all the time, he's not gonna be able to chip in as much as he would on a top 6 spot. This team is looking for it's youth now, and players like Holmstrom will have to accept their role.

I bet 10 years ago you never ever woulda guessed that Stevie Y would be on the 4th line, but guess what...that's where he wound up. His knees were shot, but he still had a role and it worked out just fine.

Yes, Leino showed he's got talent and is strong on the boards and down low. With Franzen and Filppula he's perfect. Homer doesnt deserve anything but the 4th line, all he does anymore is hit, his shot is gone, he could barely ever skate, I love him, but he should be on the 4th line, and on the PP stuck right in front of the goalie.

Why is it so hard for people to understand Homers a 4th line guy now? He doesnt fit on a line with Helm, he isnt skilled enough to play on a line without Z and Datsyuk that is relied upon to score. If he isnt on the 4th line, he'll be on the top line much like he was in previous years. I love Homer to death, but I dont think he has it in him anymore.

I agree with that 199%. Actually I agree with the entire post, Holmstrom will either be with Datsyuk and Zetterberg or Draper and Maltby. God the thought of a Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom line kind of scares me though, I love those guys but don't they have their AARP memberships by now :P

Guest blueadams
There's your problem. There's a BIG reason why Holland didn't sign a bonafied 20+ goal scorer, and that's because he's looking for the young'ns to step up, namely Filp and LEINO. If Leino is playing 3rd line all the time, he's not gonna be able to chip in as much as he would on a top 6 spot. This team is looking for it's youth now, and players like Holmstrom will have to accept their role.

I bet 10 years ago you never ever woulda guessed that Stevie Y would be on the 4th line, but guess what...that's where he wound up. His knees were shot, but he still had a role and it worked out just fine.

so, what, you want...

Leino-Filppula-Franzen

Eaves-Helm-Williams

Holmstrom-Draper-Maltby

Guest blueadams
so, what, you want...

Leino-Filppula-Franzen

Eaves-Helm-Williams

Holmstrom-Draper-Maltby

Maybe we should split the studs...

Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen

Leino-Datsyuk-Cleary

Eaves-Helm-Williams

Holmstrom-Draper-Maltby

Guest blueadams
That's what I want.

well, williams is what we've got, better learn to deal with it.

I dont get these line threads sometimes.

The guys will be all over the place all year long just like last year and the year before have you not seen babcock coach the lines he starts the game with often dont finnish the game together. I mean last year Kopecky was on the 1st line powerplay with his bum chum Hossa who saw that coming in the middle of last summer?

Franzen-Filpula-Leino

Eaves-Helm-Williams

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericssson-Lilja/Lebda

Meech/Delmore/Janik

Osgood

Howard

Dream on.

This lineup actually makes the 2006 Wings look physicaly imposing. Having 2 sissies like Williams and Eaves playing on what is usually known as a checking line isn't going to look good, since neither of those players can actually "check".

Defense is this team's only supposed strength, and it's still a big question mark because of last year's breakdowns on defense.

well, williams is what we've got, better learn to deal with it.

You sure? Holland "dealt" with it a couple years ago, who says he's not working on something again or will change his mind about Williams near the deadline?