• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
themule93

Players retiring?

Rate this topic

Maltby & Holmstrom - yes (unless someone other than the wings makes one of them an offer they can't refuse)

Lidstrom & Draper - no

agree. I would prefer Draper to retire too...

i personally am hoping that maltby and holmstrom are done after this year. or at least they don't re-sign with the wings. i love then for what they have done for this team, but feel their time has come. though draper is also becoming a shadow of his former self, i feel he still has some to offer; i think he plays another year to finish out his contract. personally, i wonder what lidstrom will do. obviously we don't know him personally, but i get the feeling he could retire and walk away and go home to sweden after this year and be entirely happy. but for the teams sake, i hope he is willing to take a salary reduction and remain with the team for a couple more years. obviously when his decision is made next summer he will have an addiitonal season to judge how he feels, but i think right now he could stay 2 more years after this upcoming season and still be a very good defenseman.

Lidstrom: no way unless some freak-injury occurs.

Draper: if he doesn't have the best season, will they work out a buyout deal? I don't know how those work but his cap hit won't go off if he retires, but again, not sure if there's another angle to it.

Maltby: I could see him signing up for one more year cheap if Draper stays. He's still a good guy to have around at the price especially if he's fine with a reduced role. If Draper goes he's done though.

Holmstrom: most likely, there's only so much more his body can take, I wouldn't be shocked if he retired during the season even if injuries persist. It'll be a sad day when he does retire though no matter when it occurs. Great guy and great Red Wing.

Malts and Homer probably will being they'll be another year older and their contracts will be up. Lidstrom, no I dont believe so. Draper, he's gonna be here until his contract is over.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Lids: Will probably stay.

Draper: MUST stay or we have to keep his salary on the cap. No sense losing that kind of potential income if we can't put a body in the spot it takes up. He still has something to offer, so he stays.

Malts: Home to help Wendy with the twins.

Homer: Unless last season was bad due to injuries, and he can come back and play like he has in the years before, I think he's going to hang it up.

I just hope they go out as Cup champs. They all have 4 rings as of now, and that's a great accomplishment, but going out with the Cup in your hands as you make your last skate has to be special.

will lidstrom, holmstrom, draper, maltby etc be retiring after 09/10 ?

thoughs ?

Lidstrom no way he's already said he wants to keep playing. As someone else said unless he a serious injury he'll be back.

Holmstrom? Maybe. The way he plays the game I just don't think he can go much further at his age. So again I think it's very possible.

Maltby? Yes, or if he plays it won't be here. I mean he already makes only like $850k so is he gonna take the league minimum to stay? In that case the Wings can get one of the kids up here. So he's gone one way or another I think.

Draper? No I don't think so. Might as well play out one more year unless he just feels he can't do it. He's not the speedster he was but he's still a good skater and a great faceoff guy and leader. Someone said a mentor for Helm and they are right on. He's got one more year on his contract so I think after 10-11 he'll be gone. He won' be bought out. The savings would be so little and the slightly lowered cap hit would be over 2 years instead of one which wouldn't be worth it.

Homer already said this is likely to be his last season.

Lidstrom has already said he'll sign a new contract and keep playing.

Maltby has said nothing.

My vote would be that Maltby and Homer retire, but that's it.

I think Lidstrom and Draper are back 100%. I feel like Holmstrom will be back too unless and injury forces him out. I think Maltby is most likely gone but we could see him back as a 13th forward role player for the league minimum.

Also, to reference some previous posts in this thread, it's my understanding that if a player retires before his contract is up that cap number comes off the books. That's why you're seeing the long term contracts being dished out like that of Zetterberg, Franzen, Hossa, Pronger etc.

Lids was quoted at the Swedish olympic camp as saying that he plans to play at least 2-3 more years. When you have the best defenseman that has ever played the game, that is great news.

I think Lidstrom and Draper are back 100%. I feel like Holmstrom will be back too unless and injury forces him out. I think Maltby is most likely gone but we could see him back as a 13th forward role player for the league minimum.

Also, to reference some previous posts in this thread, it's my understanding that if a player retires before his contract is up that cap number comes off the books. That's why you're seeing the long term contracts being dished out like that of Zetterberg, Franzen, Hossa, Pronger etc.

Only if you signed that contract before you were 35 (or maybe 36?). So if Maltby or Draper retired tomorrow, we would be stuck with their cap number till the contract they signed expired.

Lids was quoted at the Swedish olympic camp as saying that he plans to play at least 2-3 more years. When you have the best defenseman that has ever played the game, that is great news.

Great to hear. It's just that I'm not going to take that any more than that's just how he's feeling right now, during summer time, when he's not in the heat of the grind. A lot can happen.

Lidstrom will play until he's 42... I could see it happening. What makes people think Homer is done? Maltby maybe, Draper unlikely... But Homer?

Lids - I think he will be back for a couple more years.

Homer - I have a feeling this might be his last year. Honestly, how much more abuse can his body really take? Im sure he is feeling it every day

Draper - I think he will be back for another year after this and then call it quits. I feel he still has a little bit left in the tank, and as someone else said...would be a great mentor for helm.

Maltby - I think he is done after this year.

Malts and Homer will be done at the end of this year unless the Wings deem them as needed pieces for next years team. They will be signed to minimal contracts if they remain.

Draper gets paid the same whether he is here or not, so barring major injury, he will at least be a father figure to Helm and the other kids.

And, Lidstrom will play until he can collect social security and will put up at least 50 points until he turns 60 when his production will fall to 40 points. After winning his 16th Norris trophy the press will finally agree that he is better than Bourque and Harvey, but not even close to Orr.:unsure: