• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Canucks and Luongo close to a new deal

Rate this topic

Luongo's worth  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This morning Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks was quoted from a local radio interview, stating that the Canucks were wrapping up contract negotiations with Roberto Luongo. Hoping that it will be a done deal prior to this seasons start. He said that talks are going considerably well, and this deal will make Roberto a Canuck for the duration of his career. He also then hinted that it would pay him slightly over 8 million dollars a year!

I know Luongo is a good goalie. But where did I miss the boat here? Where did all this Roberto Luongo sensation come from? Is he really this iconic figure in hockey, that deserves this title of 'best goalie in the league', or 'highest paid goalie ever'? I mean what has he done?

No Stanley Cup, no Vezina, no Hart trophy, no Pearson. Though he has been runner ups to some of these trophies, besides a Cup. His biggest accomplishments are most saves in a game, and most shots faced in a game. And now at 30 years old, he is rewarded with a contract like this, that will likely run into his forties.

I have two words for teams that sign goalies for big money, multi year deals: Rick DiPietro

I am not trashing the guy, I am just wondering where all this man love for this guy came from.

This is a snippet from Wiki about the multi OT playoff game (5) against Anaheim in '07, and the reasoning of why he missed the first 3 minutes of the first OT:

Oddly, Luongo had missed the first three minutes of the first overtime, to what was first believed to be an equipment malfunction. However, after the series had ended, it was revealed that Luongo, instead, had an untimely case of diarrhea. :flush:

Edited by miller76

I have two words for teams that sign goalies for big money, multi year deals: Rick DiPietro

No kidding.

I dont understand the logic in signing goalies to long contracts. goalies in my opinion are just to hot and cold.

A year ago, hell, less than 6 months ago, people would've unanimously said he was worth $8 million anywhere and that he wasn't overrated. You would also see countless comments suggesting the Wings need to sign him when his contracts up and send Osgood to the old folks home. Oh how the bandwagon rolls...

I never have been as high on Luongo as many. When Osgood's done and Luongo's done, I'd be surprised if Osgood doesn't prove to have had the more successful career. And he gets paid less than 20% of what Luongo considers a hometown discount so the team can stay competitive. We are spoiled beyond measure to have a goalie like Osgood at the price. His willingness to play for such little money when he could likely easily get more is a HUGE bonus for this Wings team and a key to our success as it allows us to ice stronger skaters. Osgood knows how to get it done on and off the ice. He knows how to win pure and simple. He's a class act and a fan-first guy who loves this team and this city.

At Osgood's worst moments last season I never would've taken Luongo over him even if they made the same salary. His play in the playoffs once again explains why I have that kind of faith in him and I hope that once and for all fans will remember what this guy can do and give him the respect and support he deserves.

There might not be a guy on the Red Wings roster at this point that bleeds love for this team like Chris Osgood. It's just sad that people in Detroit probably won't fully realize that this guy is a Red Wing like Steve Yzerman was a Red Wing until after he's retired.

Paying a goalie more than 5 million is ludacris imo.

I am right there with you.

It seems like two thirds of the teams in the league change goalies more often then not.

Edited by miller76

If he went on a storm and carried the Canucks to the finals or something, I could see this being worth it. But whatever the team is doing now, isn't working that well, so why invest more money in it??

This will hinder the team ultimately for putting the right pieces in place and becoming a yearly contender.

Poor Guy. Despite how good or bad he plays, he'll never win in Vancouver. I love Bobby Lou, and I dont believe he's overated, just been stuck on garbage teams and Canadian goalies not named Osgood are always portrayed as God. (Brodeur, Roy, Luongo, Ward, Fleury, etc.)

Worth signing to a nice fat contract? Sure, assuming the term isn't insane. Worth 8 million a season? No. No goalie is worth that aside from guys like Hasek, Brodeur and Roy at their peaks.

Like others have said, goalies are too much of a fragile investment to take up such a massive chunk of your cap space.

Why don't goalies use that mask anymore? There's a good reason for it I just can't remember. They come off too easily?

They don't make them anymore, and they aren't as protective. Osgood required stitches back in 98 after getting hit with a slapshot in the helmet.

Unless we get him next year, f*** it. He's 30. It's not like when we signed older goalies before because they had experience winning for what it's worth. The clock is ticking on Roberto and I don't want to pay 8 million for a goalie without the things we're already paying about a couple mil for in Ozzy.

On the same hand, every goalie who has won a Cup or a Vezina had a first time. Luongo hasn't ever been on a team that has helped him do that. Ever. He's carried every team he's ever been on because they've been s***. Granted it's not a Hasek style carry job but still, he's done well with bad teams. Not many goalies can do that. Careers are ruined that way and the mediocre goalies we make fun of, sometimes weren't that bad and were just strapped with a bum team. I'd imagine if he played for Detroit, he'd have a much better shot and would routinely go to the conference finals if not deeper.

It's just all about age and money.

Edited by numberthirtynine

Guest Shoreline

Canucks

---------

05-06: Alex Auld-> 2.94GAA, 90.2% 33W-26L-6OTL

06-07: R. Luongo-> 2.29GAA, 92.1% 47W-22L-6OTL

07-08: R. Luongo-> 2.38GAA, 91.7% 35W-29L-9OTL

08-09: R. Luongo-> 2.34GAA, 92.0% 33W-13L-7OTL

Patrick Roy: Career save %: 90.3%, GAA: 2.47

Martin Brodeur: Career save %: 91.4%, GAA: 2.21

Roberto Luongo: Career save %, 91.9%, GAA: 2.57

We won't touch Grant Fuhr's Save %/GAA. :lol:

No reason to believe, even without a cup, that Luongo won't be Hall of Fame bound since everywhere he's gone, including to a s***ty Panthers team (2000-01: 29th in wins, 2001-02: 28th in wins, 2002-03: 29th in wins, 2003-04: 22nd in wins, 2005-06: 23rd in wins), his role has been essential to every game his team won when he's in net, whereas with the teams he was with losing, obviously other elements were not in place.

Luongo is not overrated.

Edited by Shoreline

Luongo is a superstar and competes with Brodeur for the "best" goalie in the game today. That being said, he had a meltdown at the end of the 08 season when his wife was having her baby and in the most important game of his career, game 6 of the WCSF, he quite simply stank.

Until he has a ring to prove that he's the best, he's not worth a massive contract; and even if that happens, he's not worth 8 million. I'll take Nick Lidstrom + Chris Osgood at the same price as Roberto Luongo.

Until he wins the Stanley Cup, he's not worth that much. But like someone else said, if he were to go on an unbelievable tear and lead Vancouver to glory, then the contract would be worth every penny to the Canucks, the management, and the fans.

I think the real question is whether or not Sammy is going to be able to get them over the hump ;)

Guest Shoreline

People are comparing contracts between players of different teams, who are usually not in the same financial situation, and value different players in different ways. And to be HOF material, or, one of the best, one does not need to win a cup. Remember Sammy Jankis.. I mean, Phil Housley/Mike Gartner. The Canucks brought him to that team to be the face of their franchise, and given that they also gave him the captaincy, I'd say he's doing an absolutely superb job both as the leader of that team and as a superstar. If the Wings had the cap room for him I'd say go for it.

I think he's the best goalie in the league right now. Don't know if he's 'worth' 8 mil a year. I suppose I'd say any top tier goalie, or even any top player, is worth as much as a team can afford without hurting their ability to build a competitive team.

But I'll add that any long term deal for a goalie (unless very cheap) is a bad idea. Goalies seem to have a tendency to flare out pretty quick. And Luongo is already 30.

They don't make them anymore, and they aren't as protective. Osgood required stitches back in 98 after getting hit with a slapshot in the helmet.

Ozzie also supposedly buys up that cage whenever he can find it in his size- if I remember correctly, his current mask came from a Euro league team that sold it to him for some new ones. :)