• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
blues_demitra38

Time to MAN UP: Williams or Samuelsson?

Rate this topic

Anyone with half a brain knows that signing Williams is a depth move...which makes it even more mind boggling over how much grief the reaction thread drew.

1.5 million dollars is all it cost the Wings. That is almost nothing in hockey salary terms.

Essentially, Williams replaces Samuelsson. When you think about the signing from THIS angle, how do you view it now? Would you rather have Samuelsson at 2.5 million or Williams at 1.5?

They both play the same game. Fast, somewhat gritty and possess a rocket right handed shot.

So, Red Wings fan, it's time to get the sand outta your vaj and MAN UP: Samuelsson or Williams?

I'll take the guy with more Stanley Cup Finals goals than the other has total playoff goals. Or the guy with as many playoff OT winners as the guy with total playoff goals.

I wouldn't take either of them on the point.

EDIT: Honestly, by the end of his time here there weren't very many people that really disliked Sammy anymore. He was bad on the point but that was clearly Mike's fault then for keeping him out there. Yeah, he put a lot of pucks into shinpads and chest protectors, but then he put some into the net so it was all good.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

I'll take the guy with more Stanley Cup Finals goals than the other has total playoff goals. Or the guy with as many playoff OT winners as the guy with total playoff goals.

I wouldn't take either of them on the point.

EDIT: Honestly, by the end of his time here there weren't very many people that really disliked Sammy anymore. He was bad on the point but that was clearly Mike's fault then for keeping him out there. Yeah, he put a lot of pucks into shinpads and chest protectors, but then he put some into the net so it was all good.

This. HoH gets it.

I always liked Sammy, but we couldn't afford him.

Call me crazy, but with the Wings current cap situation I'd rather have Williams at 1.5M than Sammy at 2.5M.

Atleast now we have a little bit of cap room to either bring up GR kids or make some moves at the deadline.

Guest E_S_A_D

I choose C, Bob, none of the above. I'd like to pick D, Mike Grier for $500.

Anyone with half a brain knows that signing Williams is a depth move...which makes it even more mind boggling over how much grief the reaction thread drew.

1.5 million dollars is all it cost the Wings. That is almost nothing in hockey salary terms.

Essentially, Williams replaces Samuelsson. When you think about the signing from THIS angle, how do you view it now? Would you rather have Samuelsson at 2.5 million or Williams at 1.5?

They both play the same game. Fast, somewhat gritty and possess a rocket right handed shot.

So, Red Wings fan, it's time to get the sand outta your vaj and MAN UP: Samuelsson or Williams?

Good post.

I'll give a slight nod to Samuelsson. How quickly people forget though that Williams before he had injury problems (?) or missed time in Chicago, he was producing close to a point per game his first full season there, or something close to it. Not trying to hype up Williams as we know his limitations and it's more than likely a depth move as you said, but he's not as bad as plenty in here want to dramatize.

Looking at it like this, I guess picking up Williams isnt SOOO bad. Its just that I would have rather got someone else. Anyway, to answer the question... I guess im going to go with Williams at 1.5. While this could change half way through the season... I really got tired of Sammy's logo hunting. It always seemed like he would shoot when he should pass, and pass when he should shoot.

Either way though, these two players are never going to make or break the wings.

Good post.

I'll give a slight nod to Samuelsson. How quickly people forget though that Williams before he had injury problems (?) or missed time in Chicago, he was producing close to a point per game his first full season there, or something close to it. Not trying to hype up Williams as we know his limitations and it's more than likely a depth move as you said, but he's not as bad as plenty in here want to dramatize.

I REALLY and I mean REALLY wanted Prospal on that 2nd line, and still thought we kinda needed a bonafide sniper for that 2nd line... so neither... but you make good points, for what they are and for what they cost, I give a slight nod to Sammy, but it's pretty much the same thing...

Rarely if ever will you see me pay the man a compliment, but it's clear that Samuelsson > Williams.

We actually managed to replace Samuelsson with someone softer, which really amazes me. Williams is also lazier and less clutch, and is a complete no-show in the playoffs.

I think the guy has learned a bit on his trip around the NHL the last few seasons, the Samuelson stuff was getting stale for this reason I'll side with the home team guy and say Williams and if it dosnt work out its just a 1 year deal.

This forum loves and hates players at the drop of a hat. Players are better with the Wings than they are anywhere else because of the supporting cast in Detroit (on and off the ice). Comparing stats isn't going to prove any point, their playstyle is the same.

Bottom Line.... Williams = Sammy... love it or hate it, they're pretty much the same player...

Wings with Williams playing on the 3rd line are better than Wings with Maltby playing on the third line.

I'm cool with it.

29,4Lyfe! (not really...)

Ok, really even, but slight nod to Sammy. Williams is more clutch in shootouts, but Sammy has a better shot. Williams is a faster skater, but Sammy made less mistakes.

However, in the playoffs, I pass the puck to Sammy over Williams.

Bottom Line.... Williams = Sammy... love it or hate it, they're pretty much the same player...

samuelsson has more grit. it's ridiculous but he was one of a few players on the team who would (sort of) stick up for himself if somebody gave him any gruff. more of a hissy fit and a slap fight at best but at least it was something.

i'd pick sammy.

*dies*

Sammy use to piss me off alot, but just when he would get you sooooo pist, he would net a huge goal!! It was like Robert Lang, Langer use to piss me off and then all of a sudden he would net a big goal.

With Williams, he use to piss me off and then he got traded, that being said I thought Williams had plenty of time here to produce and show what he had, but his cry baby attitude with Babcock was a bit much for me!

However I think that everyone deserves a second chance!!

I would perfer Sammy, but he wanted money, and I cannot blame him!

At this point, we are not expecting Williams to do anything, so if he posts 50 points than I think we will all be happy!!

Ok, really even, but slight nod to Sammy. Williams is more clutch in shootouts, but Sammy has a better shot. Williams is a faster skater, but Sammy made less mistakes.

However, in the playoffs, I pass the puck to Sammy over Williams.

Are you talking about Samuelsson that had 20 takeaways, but 43 giveaways?

Or Williams that had more takeaways that giveaways.

Less mistakes?

I dont see the reason for all the hate around here.. The Wings replace one 20 Goal scorer with another 20 Goal scorer who brings similar skills to the table.. for 1 million dollars less than the other guy was making... I'd like to still think that Holland knows what he is doing and has done nothing to make me lose faith in him so until that day I will believe whatever he does is right.

Williams. Samuelsson pissed me off at of the time, with his ridiculous shot choices. And, he would have demanded 2.5m and a multiple year contract.

Williams is just 1.5 for one year. If it doesn't work out this year, then seeeee ya. He can maybe even be used at the trade deadline, if we need to make a move. But I am interested to see what he will do his second time around in a Wings uni.