• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
lx_bel

Around the league in 30 beers

Rate this topic

Friend of mine who is a Pen's fan sent this to me (no wonder why <_< )

http://the6thsens.com/2009-articles/august...n-30-beers.html

I love the Red Wings selection he picked! That's too damn funny. I don't like the Penguins selection and quote though, but since he's a Pens fan I guess he gets to work that in there!

Thanks for sharing!

Oh man I was really hoping that someone was going to do their own version of nhl.com's Around the League in 30 Days, except while becoming progressively more intoxicated for each review. Seriously, though, if someone is willing to sacrifice their brain-cells and do this, I'll give you a 5-star vote no matter who you are!

edit: and don't think this is just some funny suggestion. I will really flip out with excitement if someone commits themselves to this task.

Edited by Echolalia

I liked the Rangers and Coyotes the most

"New York Rangers are Dos Equis:

Pompous, over rated and over priced, more concerned with marketing and sales than performance."

"Phoenix Coyotes are Beck’s Non-Alcoholic Beer:

No one has paid for either in years, no honest man would be seen supporting them, they’re both always on sale and both are things Jim Balsillie probably enjoys."

Edited by DYags

Chicago Blackhawks and pittsburg penguins :lol: :lol: are Rickard's White (or any other wit/wheat beer you like):

Trendy, will surely lose its appeal over time, the only people who like it are traditionalist snobs and people who got on the bandwagon late. :lol:

However, it's true though. The Red Wings are soft and delicate, and the rip on ticket pricing was awesome!

If Wings are so soft and fragile, then why have they been BY FAR the most winning and best team in the entire league since post-lockout. If it takes a soft and fragile team to walk to the WCF and SCF year-after-year as Red Wings do, then wouldn't one think building a "soft" team is the best possible way to go?

If winning isn't the ultimate goal to strive for in the NHL, then what is?

If Wings are so soft and fragile, then why have they been BY FAR the most winning and best team in the entire league since post-lockout. If it takes a soft and fragile team to walk to the WCF and SCF year-after-year as Red Wings do, then wouldn't one think building a "soft" team is the best possible way to go?

agreed.

Not saying that they aren't a great team, but they're soft. If soft = SCF apperances then that's fine with me, but regardless, they're still soft.

We do have some tough guys... like... er...... Maltby and his visor?

To entertain the fans? To see an exciting game? If winning is the ultimate goal, then why is the JLA easily the most reserved, least energetic arena in the entire league?

That type of discussion goes both ways.

Not saying that they aren't a great team, but they're soft. If soft = SCF apperances then that's fine with me, but regardless, they're still soft.

We do have some tough guys... like... er...... Maltby and his visor?

If tough(er) guys were needed, we'd have them. They are a dime-a-dozen. Wings beat tough teams, so I guess soft/tough argument is irrelevant. Unless people like violent sports, then they can switch over to the UFC.

On the flip side, I think all those Red Wings who played though the finals this year with all those injuries are pretty damn 'tough, more tough than the average scrub / goon.

I remember Kurt Russell's quote in the movie "Miracle" -- "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones". Bottom line, Holland is doing a ******* amazing job!

However, it's true though. The Red Wings are soft and delicate, and the rip on ticket pricing was awesome!

Ticket pricing? Please. Have you ever been to Calgary, Vancouver, Anaheim, or LA? Try 3 and 4 times the price in Detroit.

Edited by miller76

To entertain the fans? To see an exciting game? If winning is the ultimate goal, then why is the JLA easily the most reserved, least energetic arena in the entire league?

That type of discussion goes both ways.

Like I said in another post, if you like violent-beat 'em up sports, then UFC has it all in one cage. I can't fathom people who would prefer a team that finishes the bottom 20 every year and never makes the playoffs just so they can show off some male-ego / testosterone by beating up everyone else.

Not that it matters, but I for one enjoy a winning hockey club over anything else. And, honestly, I have enjoyed the Wings success more during the post-lockout than the 1990s version of the Red Wings. I like to watch hockey! I don't enjoy short seasons, I enjoy long seasons.

If tough(er) guys were needed, we'd have them. They are a dime-a-dozen. Wings beat tough teams, so I guess soft/tough argument is irrelevant. Unless people like violent sports, then they can switch over to the UFC.

On the flip side, I think all those Red Wings who played though the finals this year with all those injuries are pretty damn 'tough, more tough than the average scrub / goon.

I remember Kurt Russell's quote in the movie "Miracle" -- "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones". Bottom line, Holland is doing a ******* amazing job!

I agree with most of what you say. It still doesn't change the fact we're a team of whimps. When I first got into hockey back in 1995 the Red Wings were a much tougher team that was still capable of winning. I guess I just wish we had at least one enforcer out there that could take care of issues on-ice.

I think our toughest guy is probably Kronwall because of his checking\destroying ability.

Remember when we had guys like Brendan Shannahan that had no reservations about scoring a hat-trick and then kicking your ass when you got cheap in the last 5 minutes of a hopeless game?

Yes, hockey isn't supposed to be like the UFC, but it's not supposed to be like curling or ballet either.

Winning comes first, but some toughness would be appreciated too.

I agree with most of what you say. It still doesn't change the fact we're a team of whimps. When I first got into hockey back in 1995 the Red Wings were a much tougher team that was still capable of winning. I guess I just wish we had at least one enforcer out there that could take care of issues on-ice.

I think our toughest guy is probably Kronwall because of his checking\destroying ability.

Remember when we had guys like Brendan Shannahan that had no reservations about scoring a hat-trick and then kicking your ass when you got cheap in the last 5 minutes of a hopeless game?

Yes, hockey isn't supposed to be like the UFC, but it's not supposed to be like curling or ballet either.

Winning comes first, but some toughness would be appreciated too.

I remember that. But that was the old NHL. Holland built this team for the new NHL. If a player tries to stir s*** up in the final 5 minutes, unlike before, they get an automatic game suspension (unless your name is Evgeni Malkin).

Not to start an toughness argument here or anything but to say hockey isn't a violent sport is dumb. Hockey is one of the most violent sports going and to say that those guys playing through injuries are tougher then your average goon would be a lie as well.

But anyways that was a good read, I liked the rangers one the most.

I remember that. But that was the old NHL. Holland built this team for the new NHL. If a player tries to stir s*** up in the final 5 minutes, unlike before, they get an automatic game suspension (unless your name is Evgeni Malkin).

LOL, you took the words out of my mouth. I understand, we don't want a team of Prongers, I guess I just wish we had a little bit more toughness than we do. I do agree with you 100% that Holland is kick ass in terms of building a team that can win. Too many people don't understand that winning as much as we do is awesome. We may not win the cup EVERY year, but we have a solid chance each year, which is more than most professional sports teams can say each year.

Not to start an toughness argument here or anything but to say hockey isn't a violent sport is dumb. Hockey is one of the most violent sports going and to say that those guys playing through injuries are tougher then your average goon would be a lie as well.

But anyways that was a good read, I liked the rangers one the most.

So your logic is a couple of fist fights is tougher than getting speared so bad in your nut sack; liked they were slammed in a car door, removed and then go back to playing in the Stanley Cup Finals as if nothing happened at all? Lol. Really, is this what you are suggesting? Damn, I must be the toughest mofo in central Michigan, cause I got in 4 brawls in one nite and was looking for more. I am ******* Hercules! Haha!

But wait, I had a hernia before. Just standing up to try and walk 10 feet to the bathroom was pure excruciating pain like nothing else, to the point that I urinated in a cup laying down. Am I still the toughest mojo in central Michigan?