Evgeni Nabokov

Marty Turco

Martin Biron

Ray Emery

Vesa Toskala

Chris Mason

Dan Ellis

Antero Niittymaki

I figured since this board is rammed with everyone talking about this summer's UFA period when the Wings had very little cap room I'd rather talk about what we could do next summer when we actually have some money to play with. Obviously money is an issue but of all the players listed there the ones I would be interested in talkign to would be:

Forwards:Olli Jokinen, Marc Savard, Alexander Frolov, Tomas Holmstrom

Defensemen:Lidstrom, Johnsson

Goalies:Hiller, Nabakov

The rest would either be too expensive or not someone I would really care for.

Lidstrom is the only one I care about signing for next year. Depending on how well Flip does as the second line center, I would like to see the Wings make run for Marleau. The guy plays the Wings system really well in SJ. Plus, Paul Kariya wouldn't be bad. I would like to see the guy on a team that I don't hate.

Edited by xtrememachine1

Not many guys I can see the Wings being interested in. I bet Holmstrom hangs them up and Lidstrom takes a decent paycut. Frolov is the guy I'd look at... unless of course Kovalchuk would be willing to take a huge paycut to play here. That's a pipe dream though.

Just say no to Jokinen. He makes Joe Thorton look clutch.

Jokinen definitely isnt clutch, and of course money would be a factor, but he's always been counted on too much as a primary scorer. In Detroit, behind Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen I think he'd fit well. But aside from Lidstrom I would want Frolov the most. I think he'd be a beast in Detroit. Plus, depending on our goaltending situation if you could get Hiller I'd be hard pressed to walk away from that (obviously assuming he has another good year this season).

Oh man if we could re-sign Lidstrom at less money and free up cap room with our retiring players and get Kovalchuck to sign and have a goaltending team of Ozzie and Hiller, I would consider that a very successful offseason.

successful offseason is a tiny bit of an understatement.

Since I'm not sold on Howard, I would like to go after Hiller. I agree that I think Holmer hangs it up after this year. Lidstrom would be nice to have back, but if we win the Cup, he may be done also. I would steer clear of Marleau. He would cost too much to see if he would fit in. Kovalchuk would be great, but he will be too costly. Frolov seems to be a name that jumps out on that list. Then again, all speculation. I'm sure Holland will know early on what Lidstrom will be doing and that will help determine who they go after.

Of all the names on that list, I bet that half of them sign contract extensions with their respective teams before they become UFAs. Anaheim would be stupid to let Hiller walk. I would really like to see the Wings sign Frolov, though. That, or if a guy like Lucic is out there, pick him up.

Lidstrom is the only one I care about signing for next year. Depending on how well Flip does as the second line center, I would like to see the Wings make run for Marleau. The guy plays the Wings system really well in SJ. Plus, Paul Kariya wouldn't be bad. I would like to see the guy on a team that I don't hate.

While the Wings don't need another high priced forward, I agree that Marleau is a bit underrated. He was in the top 3 in game winners last year. If he can have an equally good season this year I'd say he deserves more credit. We'll see if he can prove himself to be a top level player long term.

Of all the names on that list, I bet that half of them sign contract extensions with their respective teams before they become UFAs. Anaheim would be stupid to let Hiller walk. I would really like to see the Wings sign Frolov, though. That, or if a guy like Lucic is out there, pick him up.

Exactly. This is by no means an accurate list of what players will ACTUALLY be UFA's next summer.

I've been wondering for a couple years now, that after the 2009 season when Turco's contract is up, if he'd sign with Detroit for something WAY below market value to return home and have a chance to win a cup... you can tell how frustrated he gets losing in Dallas (even though some it is his fault)

THE BEST OF NEXT SUMMER'S UFA's

after Howard has a garbage season, the Wings will look to shore up that position. Hiller or Turco.

Lids re-signs for $5M...

Holmstrom/Maltby/Williams retire, Abdelkader is here full time, maybe re-sign Eaves if he works out and bring in Marleau and or Vermette...

Edited by LeftWinger

Not really sold on Hiller just yet. Remember last year Ellis was the next big thing. And speaking of Ellis, he could be a solid pickup if he shows that last year was just a sophomore slump. Rinne is also set to be UFA next summer, and I doubt Nashville will pursue both of them.

On Marleau, the Sharks have some serious cap issues this year. They're just squeeking under and they still need 2 or 3 forwards. Not sure when the buyout periods are, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him bought out if they can't trade away some salary.

Guest Shoreline
after Howard has a garbage season, the Wings will look to shore up that position. Hiller or Turco.

Lids re-signs for $5M...

Holmstrom/Maltby/Williams retire, Abdelkader is here full time, maybe re-sign Eaves if he works out and bring in Marleau and or Vermette...

Then Kenny Holland brings back the fantasy draft in NHL 10. f*** yeah!

Edited by Shoreline

Then Kenny Holland brings back the fantasy draft in NHL 10. f*** yeah!

Whoa whoa whoa, you don't think Turco and Eaves and Marleau and Vermette could be signed for around 5-7 million total? We could easily through Kovy in there as well if we wanted to push it to around 8 million total for all those guys.