• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
luvmnger

nhl athlete of the decade

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Who has more hardware? More importantly, who has more rings? Exactly.

None of it really matters because apparently Martin Brodeur is the most overrated goalie in the history of hockey. There are probably 25 other players, including at least 2 goalies who should be up against Nick in this contest. Brodeur sucks monkey balls. :rolleyes: Or so I am told.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

None of it really matters because apparently Martin Brodeur is the most overrated goalie in the history of hockey. There are probably 25 other players, including at least 2 goalies who should be up against Nick in this contest. Brodeur sucks monkey balls. :rolleyes: Or so I am told.

I dunno....if any team were to compare to the Red Wings elite skill since we came out of the shadow known as the dead wing era....it would be the devils.

Just for their length of competitiveness. No other two teams compare. (obviously the Red Wings edge the devils out in the end but you get what im sayin)

And with that - no one ever seems to count the Devils as a serious threat to win the cup - ever. Even when they did. Thats because they never seem to have that dominant lineup that would dazzle on the ice. I mean yes they play a defensive style game (like the wings) but for as long as the Devils have been competitive, there has been one common factor. Martin Brodeur. Simple as that. As long as the Devils have been dominant, so has Marty and vice versa.

......just don't really know how you can follow hockey and call him overrated. Thats all.

I dunno....if any team were to compare to the Red Wings elite skill since we came out of the shadow known as the dead wing era....it would be the devils.

Just for their length of competitiveness. No other two teams compare. (obviously the Red Wings edge the devils out in the end but you get what im sayin)

And with that - no one ever seems to count the Devils as a serious threat to win the cup - ever. Even when they did. Thats because they never seem to have that dominant lineup that would dazzle on the ice. I mean yes they play a defensive style game (like the wings) but for as long as the Devils have been competitive, there has been one common factor. Martin Brodeur. Simple as that. As long as the Devils have been dominant, so has Marty and vice versa.

......just don't really know how you can follow hockey and call him overrated. Thats all.

Brodeur is overrated because many consider him the best goaltender ever.

Most Red Wings fans would not even call Osgood a top 10 goalie of all-time, based upon his wins.

Brodeur is overrated because many consider him the best goaltender ever.

Most Red Wings fans would not even call Osgood a top 10 goalie of all-time, based upon his wins.

I mean, i'm not sure if many people are saying he's the single greatest goalie that has ever lived...except maybe NJ fans (and i'm sure they can muster an argument as good as any goalie to have lived).

But really...is there a goalie who has ever exsisted who if everyone claimed to be the greatest ever, the rest of the hockey world would claim them as extremely overrated?

There are probably 5 goalies that everyone in large would agree to be the best 5 of all time. Brodeur being one of those. Any of those 5 could be interchangeably ranked. So really, it's not a stretch for a fan of Brodeur to call him the best ever.

I hold the opinion that its worthless to compare a Brodeur to a Sawchuck just because if they other played during the others time....neither would be the same player or person so its impossible to compare the two.

And most Red Wing fans wouldnt list Ozzie in the top 10 because we have grown up believing in a system that if we lose, its the goalies fault, and if we win its because of everyone except the goalie.

Which to an extent I'm not faulting. The teams that have gone on to win the stanely cup probably could have won with about 90% of the goalies in the league. Not to take credit away from Osgood...He was always apart of those victories and someone has to keep the pucks from going in. And in recent history...he's played a role in our success simply because he's the best at what he does for the lowest price. Him playing for as little as he does gives the Red Wings the ability to keep skilled players on D or up front. That's a contribution to success on its own.

I mean, i'm not sure if many people are saying he's the single greatest goalie that has ever lived...except maybe NJ fans (and i'm sure they can muster an argument as good as any goalie to have lived).

But really...is there a goalie who has ever exsisted who if everyone claimed to be the greatest ever, the rest of the hockey world would claim them as extremely overrated?

There are probably 5 goalies that everyone in large would agree to be the best 5 of all time. Brodeur being one of those. Any of those 5 could be interchangeably ranked. So really, it's not a stretch for a fan of Brodeur to call him the best ever.

I hold the opinion that its worthless to compare a Brodeur to a Sawchuck just because if they other played during the others time....neither would be the same player or person so its impossible to compare the two.

And most Red Wing fans wouldnt list Ozzie in the top 10 because we have grown up believing in a system that if we lose, its the goalies fault, and if we win its because of everyone except the goalie.

Which to an extent I'm not faulting. The teams that have gone on to win the stanely cup probably could have won with about 90% of the goalies in the league. Not to take credit away from Osgood...He was always apart of those victories and someone has to keep the pucks from going in. And in recent history...he's played a role in our success simply because he's the best at what he does for the lowest price. Him playing for as little as he does gives the Red Wings the ability to keep skilled players on D or up front. That's a contribution to success on its own.

I'd be happy to go into more detail, but just do not want to have to re-type everything I did the first time this exact same topic was brought up:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60337

There is very little evidence to include Brodeur in the dicussion of "greatest goalie of all-time", but I would be curious to hear evidence to the contrary.

I didn't claim Brodeur to be overrated (even though I think he is), just pointing out that Lidstrom, individually, has been recognized more for his domination of his position than Brodeur - or anyone else for that matter.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Ozzie30

Question who is the best forward of this decade? I'm talking a combination of consistency, longevity, and superior play... I'd say Iginla.

dear you

get over it. you pussed out of the other thread because you formed arguments and you could not.

signed

us

Edited by numberthirtynine

Dear you:

You are a homer and are acting immature.

Sincerely,

Me

Yeah, what other pertinent information do you have on me? You seem to know quie a bit and I'm sure it wasn't just a retarded assumption.

What a clown. Just because I think Brodeur's overrated? My thoughts on Brodeur have nothing to do with any Red Wing past, present or future.

But alas, assumptions are easier and arguments are more fun. Hence, your idiotic reply.

Question who is the best forward of this decade? I'm talking a combination of consistency, longevity, and superior play... I'd say Iginla.

I'd say Jagr - most awards and 2nd to only Thornton in points

794 Thornton

737 Jagr

717 Iginla

I'd say Jagr - most awards and 2nd to only Thornton in points

794 Thornton

737 Jagr

717 Iginla

He would be first in points, had he not left this past year.

I would rank Jagr as a better player this decade than Thornton, because Jagr is more of an all-around offensive threat. Also, Thornton has that playoff choker label.

I think even numbers aside, it's pretty clear Jagr was the better player. Not to take away from Joe who I think is underrated and has been tagged a little too harshly with the choker label(it's a team game, not Joe vs whoever). But Jagr was just a machine, capable of making entire opposing lines look stupid.

I think even numbers aside, it's pretty clear Jagr was the better player. Not to take away from Joe who I think is underrated and has been tagged a little too harshly with the choker label(it's a team game, not Joe vs whoever). But Jagr was just a machine, capable of making entire opposing lines look stupid.

Jagr > Thornton. Every. Way. Possible.

Good to see Lidstrom is leading Brodeur right now 54-46%.