• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Personal Thoughts About "Hockeytown"

Rate this topic

I was thinking today about people who claim Detroit isn't "Hockeytown" anymore. We all know the type. Well anyway, their usual attack is that the Wings fans aren't loud, or that the arena doesn't fill up anymore, or whatever else sort of asinine theory they come up with.

But it occurred to me today that Detroit is Hockeytown, not RedWingstown (Which is what its critics tend to imply). Sure, the city may be down on its luck and the WIngs suffer attendance as a result, but really, the level of hockey interest goes beyond mere Red Wings.

In Detroit and the surrounding region (since I'm not from within Detroit itself) I've seen many Penguins, Avalanche, Leafs, Wings, Blue Jackets, Blackhawks, Sabres and yes, even Lightning fans. These far outweigh what I see in Steelers, Packers, Yankees, etc. clothing and hats around the region.

So even if not everyone is a Wings fan, they certainly are hockey fans. I've traveled the country, and I've seen more of an accumulation of fans of many hockey teams than anywhere else.

So give Detroit and the region credit, it really is Hockeytown.

Random rant over.

Hockeytown is a slogan, nothing more/less. That's neither good/bad, it just is what it is and there's no need to take it out of context IMO for a lack of fanbase, not-so-rowdy fanbase, location, whatever...

Detroit is a solid hockey city/area, so are plenty of other places.

i think "hockeytown", too, refers to the level of interest among the wings and which ever teams you said, but also UM and MSU, possibly WMU to a lesser extent. also all the aaa hockey around detroit and the rest of youh hockey.

i'm vacationing with a family right now from Pitt (penguin fans) and I just had a conversation with them about "Hockeytown".

The head lady of the household firmly believes that pittsburgh should be labeled the new hockey town because they have sold out their games for a couple of years now.

la-de-f***in-da.

i only had to remind her that it wasnt too long ago when pittsburgh was in danger of losing their hockey team.

And that there is a fine line between being called "Hockeytown" and "our team just won the cup for the first time in years so we're hoppin on the bandwagontown".

I mean, i usually dont support trashing a hockey team and assuming any claims they make thats positive towards their team or city is blasphomous if it in anyway contradicts the Red Wings way of life.....but every year that the Red Wings don't win the cup, there will be one city that firmly believes they should be dubbed "Hockeytown".

Michigan supports a large venue of high talent hockey:

Red Wings

MSU

UofM

NMU

Tech

etc.

Generals

Whalers

Griffins

not to mention youth teams up the wazoo.

If I were to ever humbly give up the title (whethere its a marketing ploy or not, many citizens take pride in this label) it would only go to Minnesota. But ofcourse, their collegiate level doesn't compare, and the Wild is going to have to formulate a history....or at least a present.

*note....this is in regards towards American cities and not Canadian.

A pic was posted a few weeks ago with 2 Winged Wheels at center ice at the Joe instead of the usual "Hockeytown etc/etc".

At that same time my co-worker's son was in Detroit, and at the Joe for a clinic; her pics of the ice surface also showed just the 2 Winged Wheels...IMO I like that better; the monkier of "Hockeytown" with that logo at center ice is getting kinda old.

I hate you.

Let's just sell off all of our assets, build a new arena, and start from square one. New, trendy music, new jerseys (complete with black 3rd jerseys), ice girls and a big, fluffy mascot. Be 30th in the league for a few years and see how we do in 5 years.

i think "hockeytown", too, refers to the level of interest among the wings and which ever teams you said, but also UM and MSU, possibly WMU to a lesser extent. also all the aaa hockey around detroit and the rest of youh hockey.

dont hate on kalamazoo. we have a great youth program and used to be farm team for the red-wings

On the other hand, the wings are probably the most popular team in the NHL outside of detroit.. Im always amazed at the number of red wing bumper stickers/red wing flags i see here in san diego its seriously surprising to see so many wing fans in such a low hockey venue area.. And in the regular season its almost like home games when the wings visit teams like ATL/LA/TB/PHX

i agree w/the 'hockeytown is a state of mind' thing, yeah. and i'd like to add that i think a part of why the 'hockeytown' moniker is associated w/the wings is not just because of fan support--anyone w/an airhorn and a set of lungs can make PLENTY of noise and fill a seat--that doesn't mean they have any idea what's going on.

i've found that wings fans tend to be more knowledgable than other hockey fans. this community is a testament to that, even. take a look around some other teams' forums, if you don't believe me..

it also helps our credibility in terms of the name that no other american team even comes close to having as many cups under their belt as we do, no?

More Stanley Cups than any American team (since Toronto and Montreal obviously cannot be Hockeytown, USA)

More Stanley Cups than anyone in the last 12 years

Longest active playoff appearance streak in all of professional sports (which is nearly two decades long)

Stanley Cup victory lap tradition started by Ted Lindsay

Three consecutive conference finals appearances

When another team can do these things, they can be Hockeytown.

Michigan is a great hockey state, i think there are what 2 junior teams, with like 3 others directly on the boarder, like 6 minor league teams, like 7 division 1 colleges and a few more div 3 ones. I know for sure it has more hockey colleges than Minnesota, and factor in the OHL teams.

Detroit does not have the craziest fans or loudest arena but what do you expect. The Wings have made the playoffs every year for the past 18 years. We're spoiled. We expect to win and aren't shocked when we do. Other teams may have crazier fans, but only because they're not used to seeing their team win. As far as the actual hockey part, Detroit is Hockeytown.

When another team can have success for twenty years, through a lockout, through losing players like Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, and others, live through a statewide depression, corrupted city, and keep the commitment to winning and class since the start, then they can have it.

Until then, f*** off. The title is ours.

Questioning the validity of Hockeytown is like questioning the validity of bringing back the beard...

Besides, I never considered Detroit as being THEE Hockeytown. It's just one of a few hockey towns in the United States.

Edited by Broken 16

jesus christ people it was a god damn marketing gimmick created in the late 90s its not that big of a ******* deal.

While it is a copyrighted term that was originally made for marketing purposes, the fans and media have pushed it to become a symbol. That's why it is somewhat relevant today when people argue that Detroit isn't passionate enough to have the Hockeytown moniker.

In any event, Hockeytown as a symbol represents the entire state of Michigan (as well as some nearby parts of Canada), and as such, there shouldn't be any argument against us bearing the title. Michigan claims more youth involvement in hockey organizations than anywhere in the country; there is a strong college history pertaining to hockey, including an annual collegiate tournament based around teams focused primarily around Michigan and the Cold War (which was not only a monumental occasion for college-level hockey, but for the game in general); While times are currently hard, Wings fans still make themselves heard at local bars and opponent venues (general knowlege that the Wings have the best nation-wide support). There is never a quiet night in Hockeytown Cafe, which is appropriate enough; The passion for the Wings regardless of whether corporate executives or blue-collar Andys fill the Joe tops that of the Pistons, Tigers and Lions, which cannot be said for any other state. Oh, and I suppose I should mention something about four Stanley Cups, five finals berths, countless Presidents' Trophies, and Hall of Famers that have passed through the area, but then it wouldn't be fair :)

So even if you take the "Hockeytown as a symbol" route, I still don't see any problem with it remaining with Detroit.

I was thinking today about people who claim Detroit isn't "Hockeytown" anymore. We all know the type. Well anyway, their usual attack is that the Wings fans aren't loud, or that the arena doesn't fill up anymore, or whatever else sort of asinine theory they come up with.

But it occurred to me today that Detroit is Hockeytown, not RedWingstown (Which is what its critics tend to imply). Sure, the city may be down on its luck and the WIngs suffer attendance as a result, but really, the level of hockey interest goes beyond mere Red Wings.

In Detroit and the surrounding region (since I'm not from within Detroit itself) I've seen many Penguins, Avalanche, Leafs, Wings, Blue Jackets, Blackhawks, Sabres and yes, even Lightning fans. These far outweigh what I see in Steelers, Packers, Yankees, etc. clothing and hats around the region.

So even if not everyone is a Wings fan, they certainly are hockey fans. I've traveled the country, and I've seen more of an accumulation of fans of many hockey teams than anywhere else.

So give Detroit and the region credit, it really is Hockeytown.

Random rant over.

This is exactly where the slogan came from... it's not about cheering your team on and being loud all of the time, the Joe was never that way, although from time to time it can be, but more the mindset that everyone from the region really appreciates their hockey. I remember a couple years ago the Los Angeles papers were saying that Anaheim was Hockeytown, not Detroit. But it is more than just some fair-weather fans screaming aimlessly into the rafters. I remember about the time the slogan was coined, about 1996ish, all that me and my friends wanted to do was play hockey, all the time. Our whole class would go to the rec center after school and play floor hockey a couple times a week, and that passion amongst kids is still there. Times have just been tough in Detroit for the past few years, back to even 2006ish, and it has shown in attendance, but for all of you ignorant people who believe that Hockeytown is just a mere slogan which should be tagged on the team with the loudest, most obnoxious fans in the NHL, you're wrong, it represents the pure enjoyment of the sport for an entire region whose culmination of this is displayed by OUR TEAM, the Red Wings. So to all of those fair-weather fans in Southern California who decided to come out and risk frost-bite for an entire spring to cheer for the Ducks, you can say whatever you want, but you will NEVER understand why DETROIT IS HOCKEYTOWN!!

Hockeytown is a slogan, nothing more/less. That's neither good/bad, it just is what it is and there's no need to take it out of context IMO for a lack of fanbase, not-so-rowdy fanbase, location, whatever...

Detroit is a solid hockey city/area, so are plenty of other places.

It is more than a slogan, pal... but you wouldn't know that seeing as you live in LOUISIANA.

Just read my last post, maybe you will start to understand.

While it is a copyrighted term that was originally made for marketing purposes, the fans and media have pushed it to become a symbol. That's why it is somewhat relevant today when people argue that Detroit isn't passionate enough to have the Hockeytown moniker.

In any event, Hockeytown as a symbol represents the entire state of Michigan (as well as some nearby parts of Canada), and as such, there shouldn't be any argument against us bearing the title. Michigan claims more youth involvement in hockey organizations than anywhere in the country; there is a strong college history pertaining to hockey, including an annual collegiate tournament based around teams focused primarily around Michigan and the Cold War (which was not only a monumental occasion for college-level hockey, but for the game in general); While times are currently hard, Wings fans still make themselves heard at local bars and opponent venues (general knowlege that the Wings have the best nation-wide support). There is never a quiet night in Hockeytown Cafe, which is appropriate enough; The passion for the Wings regardless of whether corporate executives or blue-collar Andys fill the Joe tops that of the Pistons, Tigers and Lions, which cannot be said for any other state. Oh, and I suppose I should mention something about four Stanley Cups, five finals berths, countless Presidents' Trophies, and Hall of Famers that have passed through the area, but then it wouldn't be fair :)

So even if you take the "Hockeytown as a symbol" route, I still don't see any problem with it remaining with Detroit.

Spot on. You hit the nail on the head, it is not just the "Red Wings" thing.

whether or not detroit is hockeytown may be different depending on who you ask, it really baffles me when people try to use the red wings on ice success as justification. i much prefer someone like echolalia who can give reasoning. to me its not about how many cups the wings have won. its about fan passion and support.

in a baseball example, i would argue the chicago cubs are more of 'baseballtown' than the yankees. sure the yankees are hands down the most successful team on the field, but the cubs have a fan support across the country seconded by no one. the cubs also have a strong element i feel is crucial: supportig the team when they suck.

thats why places like chicago and pittsburgh will not be able to be in the hockeytown discussion anytime soon. because just a few years ago no one cared about either team.

on a personal note, i have always liked to tell people that the reason i got into hockey was because of nhl 94 on sega. my favorite team was the red wings, so i stuck with them in real life. i have become a passionate fan over the years despite not being able to go to a game in person. as people have mentioned, the nationwide fan base goes a long way to show that the wings are a very popular team, but i don't know if that really helps make detroit, or michigan in general, hockeytown.

then again my city couldn't keep our ahl team since all our stupid fans just want to see fights. so now we get the goonishness of the ihl... fun!

/rant