• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Personal Thoughts About "Hockeytown"

Rate this topic

thats why places like chicago and pittsburgh will not be able to be in the hockeytown discussion anytime soon. because just a few years ago no one cared about either team.

That's not really an unusual phenomenon. The Wings weren't very popular when they were terrible either. People won't support a bad product. With the exception of football, which Amercians are ******* bonkers for, myself included.

Okay I guess the question is if you don't think Detroit is Hockeytown, then what city is?

Nashville's arena is loud but their team still hasn't won a playoff road game ever so I wouldn't say it's them.

Pittsburgh's arena is loud but they were about to lose their team before St. Sidney came on board to save them. That is the definition of bandwagon, so I don't think it's them.

Chicago is the same. No one started caring about their team until this year. Oh and their last Stanley Cup was in 1961 so I wouldn't go with Chicago as Hockeytown.

People say Minnesota should be Hockeytown. And I agree they have a big hockey tradition there. But keep in mind they have never won a Stanley Cup ever and they lost their team the first time.

A few years ago when Buffalo won the President's Trophy Sabres fans wanted to call their city Hockeytown. But their team has gone back to being pretty average and they still have no Stanley Cup to show for it.

no longer deserving of "Hockeytown"... it's something of the past

Until the Red Wings start playing like the St. Louis Blues, there is no "it's something of the past". 1996-2009 is the Hockeytown Dynasty, as far as I'm concerned (and yes, I know we lost to Colorado in 1996).

Easy there tiger - put down the hatorade...You don't need to rant about making drastic changes - which I never alluded to...Just that the "Hockeytown" moniker IMO is a bit dated...I'm not from Detroit (neither are you) so it may not bother me as much as those who live there, but I've been a die-hard Red Wing fan since 1984, and that alone says enough.

I'm from Toledo. That's what we do: rant.

I don't know where I heard it, but I think it sums it up best: Hockeytown is a state of mind. Where ever you are, if you are a fan of the Red Wings, you are in Hockeytown.

Every time this topic is brought up that is how I respond screw the posers if you are a Wings fan you are a part of HOCKEY TOWN no matter were you live

Every time this topic is brought up that is how I respond screw the posers if you are a Wings fan you are a part of HOCKEY TOWN no matter were you live

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

People say Minnesota should be Hockeytown. And I agree they have a big hockey tradition there. But keep in mind they have never won a Stanley Cup ever and they lost their team the first time.

this is a very interesting idea,to break the tie maybe the team that has beaten both Detriot and Minnesota in the finals should be called hockeytown ?

this is a very interesting idea,to break the tie maybe the team that has beaten both Detriot and Minnesota in the finals should be called hockeytown ?

Yeah except for the fact that the Pens had no fans until a few years ago and gave away front row seats for $8. They were in danger of losing their team too.

On the other hand, the wings are probably the most popular team in the NHL outside of detroit.. Im always amazed at the number of red wing bumper stickers/red wing flags i see here in san diego its seriously surprising to see so many wing fans in such a low hockey venue area.. And in the regular season its almost like home games when the wings visit teams like ATL/LA/TB/PHX

Interestingly enough, my friend is teaching English in Asia and she says that people in Taiwan and Thailand have asked her for her Red Wings paraphernalia. They ask me, "Where did you get that? Can I buy that from you?" Kind of cool.

If any area is considered a plausible alternative to Detroit as Hockeytown, it's certainly not Pittsburgh.

I am willing to give them props for winning the Cup and turning around a franchise that was about to call in the moving vans, but from a cultural standpoint, football is what dominates that area.

Western Pennsylvania/Eastern Ohio is a big-time football region. In fact, it's where American football originated. It goes back to the days of the Allegheny Athletic Association.

Think of some the great players from that area like Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and Johnny Unitas, and that's just the quarterbacks! There's also the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the history and tradition of the Steelers, the terrible towels and the Steel Curtain.

I'll give the Pens their due, but there's no way that a couple of Cup Finals appearances, with one Cup, trumps the influence of football on that region.

Just ask the girl that Big Ben raped. It's amazing how many death threats she's received. But that's dedication and loyalty at its finest.

you guys really want to jump on this and run with it huh ? I don't think too many knowledgeable people are worried about this except you haters of Pittsburgh (haters of just about everything?) and the misinformed. It's regrettable what the young lady is goning through but it's not Ben's fault.

you guys really want to jump on this and run with it huh ? I don't think too many knowledgeable people are worried about this except you haters of Pittsburgh (haters of just about everything?) and the misinformed. It's regrettable what the young lady is goning through but it's not Ben's fault.

Knowledgeable people also know such things as only 1-2% of rape reports are false, so... It's safe to say that Big Ben is maybe a little too big for his own good.

Knowledgeable people also know such things as only 1-2% of rape reports are false, so... It's safe to say that Big Ben is maybe a little too big for his own good.

I wonder how much that rate of 1-2% goes up when one has a lot of money to possibly pay out ?

Edited by Dan Bylsma

I wonder how much that rate of 1-2% goes up when one has a lot of money ?

440k from a guy who probably blows that out of his nose every day? While she knew that she would have a target on her back from every classless delusional idiot that likes fries on top of his sandwich? Oh but no, it's the principle of the matter.

440k from a guy who probably blows that out of his nose every day? While she knew that she would have a target on her back from every classless delusional idiot that likes fries on top of his sandwich? Oh but no, it's the principle of the matter.

this forum is like one from hell,really. Mean,hateful,grinding of teeth etc......there's a few decent people that speak up occasionally. You guys are really pitiful creatures,you deserve each other. The cup is all that matters to you,it blinds you.

this forum is like one from hell,really. Mean,hateful,grinding of teeth etc......there's a few decent people that speak up occasionally. You guys are really pitiful creatures,you deserve each other. The cup is all that matters to you,it blinds you.

Then why are you here?

Aww did I hurt someone's feelings? A little too much Gerber truth for you to handle? It's ok I'm sure Gary Bettman will be here soon to make that airplane noise you guys like so much.

Right. We're the blind ones with Crosby in our saliva that go around trolling on other teams boards. We're the morons who ignore the facts on rape victims while sending death threats to women we don't know just because we can't face the fact that our golden boy isn't who we think he is. But hey, at least there's no sales tax on clothes right?

except minnesota is a state