• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Personal Thoughts About "Hockeytown"

Rate this topic

It is more than a slogan, pal... but you wouldn't know that seeing as you live in LOUISIANA.

Just read my last post, maybe you will start to understand.

Just because I don't live in Michigan or live in a southern state doesn't mean I don't understand. I've been to games in Detroit and Joe Louis Arena. I just don't get all up in arms if people question if Detroit is "Hockeytown" anymore because (1) it is still a great hockey city regardless of what people say and (2) "Hockeytown" is also a name and a slogan along with a state of mind/feeling in the region. And, regardless of what people say, that feeling is still there.

No need to get on a high horse.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Read the 2nd half of my signature to go along with the largest youth hockey program in the U.S. Michigan has more hockey affiliations than anywhere else in the country. This includes the NHL, semi-pro teams, various junior leagues, AAA, travel hokcey programs, youth hockey, etc.

We are not loud, rowdy drunken idiots when we go to a game. We have respect for the traditions, and we know the game. We can get loud if we want to, and do, but it's not a written in concrete requisite. We're not bandwagon hoppers either...most Wings fans I know have been with the team through thick and thin, and are proud to show their allegiance. I've worn my colors all over the country, and had people smile at me, give me the thumbs up, and even yell "Let's Go Wings" at Yellowstone National Park. "Hockeytown" may have been a publicity ploy, but hey, we're happy that people seem to have adopted it. My Red Wings shirt or hat or jersey, wherever I am, catches someone else's eye, and it's an instant bond, and always starts up a friendly conversation. It never fails.

We are not loud, rowdy drunken idiots when we go to a game. We have respect for the traditions, and we know the game. We can get loud if we want to, and do, but it's not a written in concrete requisite. We're not bandwagon hoppers either...most Wings fans I know have been with the team through thick and thin, and are proud to show their allegiance. I've worn my colors all over the country, and had people smile at me, give me the thumbs up, and even yell "Let's Go Wings" at Yellowstone National Park. "Hockeytown" may have been a publicity ploy, but hey, we're happy that people seem to have adopted it. My Red Wings shirt or hat or jersey, wherever I am, catches someone else's eye, and it's an instant bond, and always starts up a friendly conversation. It never fails.

that's all well and good,but here's an invitation to also become a fan of a team that hasn't even reached it's full potential,the Penguins of course.There's the new state of the art arena coming soon,imagine yourself watching the contruction as you come to watch next years finals against those lamers the Blackhawks complete with lossa ready to do it for a third time. Then there's the classy HOF'er owner.and Malkin,Crosby,Fleury,Bettman,Staal,Talbot etc.

that's all well and good,but here's an invitation to also become a fan of a team that hasn't even reached it's full potential,the Penguins of course.There's the new state of the art arena coming soon,imagine yourself watching the contruction as you come to watch next years finals against those lamers the Blackhawks complete with lossa ready to do it for a third time. Then there's the classy HOF'er owner.and Malkin,Crosby,Fleury,Bettman,Staal,Talbot etc.

Lol.

The Penguins in the finals next year.

Okay Dan. If that is your real name.

Sorry Danny, but you're really asking us to join the rest of Pittsburgh on the Penguins bandwagon? Also....really? You're still bitching about Hossa?

If you think getting a brand new arena will do anything, go check out those Phoenix Coyotes. Also, you're kidding yourself if you think Max Talbot will all of a sudden blossom into a sniper after he was in the right place at the right time on two occasions in Game 7.

The Lightning had Khabibulin, Lecavelier, St. Louis, and Richards. The Hurricanes had Ward, Eric Staal, Williams, and Brind'amour. The Senators had Alfredson, Heatley, Spezza, Phillips, and a good-when-on-his-game Emery. The Ducks had Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger, Selanne and Giguere. None of them except for a revamped Carolina team has made it even remotely close to the Finals since those one year-wonders.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Sorry Danny, but you're really asking us to join the rest of Pittsburgh on the Penguins bandwagon? Also....really? You're still bitching about Hossa?

If you think getting a brand new arena will do anything, go check out those Phoenix Coyotes. Also, you're kidding yourself if you think Max Talbot will all of a sudden blossom into a sniper.

The Lightning had Khabibulin, Lecavelier, St. Louis, and Richards. The Hurricanes had Ward, Eric Staal, Williams, and Brind'amour. The Senators had Alfredson, Heatley, Spezza, Phillips, and a good-when-on-his-game Emery. The Ducks had Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger, Selanne and Giguere. None of them except for a revamped Carolina team has made it even remotely close to the Finals since those one year-wonders.

relax hockeytown,my post was suppose to be taken with humor nothing more (note the inclusion of Bettman)no trolling,lighten up a little bit guys ! ,as far as Hossa goes,that's so funny what happened to him,lets all have a laugh over that.

I never thought of it until I wrote that post but wouldn't that be weird though if that match up would happen next year and he was on the losing team for a third straight year with different teams ?

Edited by Dan Bylsma

Sorry Danny, but you're really asking us to join the rest of Pittsburgh on the Penguins bandwagon?

He's not asking us to do anything. He's nothing but a troll looking to get a reaction out of this board under the guise of "I just want to talk hockey." If the Penguins are such a hot commodity then why is he so curious as to visit these boards every day?

I like the Hockeytown slogan. I'm not offended when the fan of another town thinks that they deserve the title instead of us. There's a lot of great places that have great hockey fans.

But to have great hockey fans and a great hockey team that has been a dominant team for two decades is something much more rare.

On the other hand, the wings are probably the most popular team in the NHL outside of detroit.. Im always amazed at the number of red wing bumper stickers/red wing flags i see here in san diego its seriously surprising to see so many wing fans in such a low hockey venue area.. And in the regular season its almost like home games when the wings visit teams like ATL/LA/TB/PHX

This will help explain why.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090402/ME...gers+state?fark

Click the third picture on the right as well.

i'm vacationing with a family right now from Pitt (penguin fans) and I just had a conversation with them about "Hockeytown".

The head lady of the household firmly believes that pittsburgh should be labeled the new hockey town because they have sold out their games for a couple of years now.

la-de-f***in-da.

i only had to remind her that it wasnt too long ago when pittsburgh was in danger of losing their hockey team.

And that there is a fine line between being called "Hockeytown" and "our team just won the cup for the first time in years so we're hoppin on the bandwagontown".

I mean, i usually dont support trashing a hockey team and assuming any claims they make thats positive towards their team or city is blasphomous if it in anyway contradicts the Red Wings way of life.....but every year that the Red Wings don't win the cup, there will be one city that firmly believes they should be dubbed "Hockeytown".

Michigan supports a large venue of high talent hockey:

Red Wings

MSU

UofM

NMU

Tech

etc.

Generals

Whalers

Griffins

not to mention youth teams up the wazoo.

If I were to ever humbly give up the title (whethere its a marketing ploy or not, many citizens take pride in this label) it would only go to Minnesota. But ofcourse, their collegiate level doesn't compare, and the Wild is going to have to formulate a history....or at least a present.

*note....this is in regards towards American cities and not Canadian.

The thing that idiots like penns fans dont realize is Mellon Arena only holds about 17,000..The Joe holds over 20,000..Detroit IS and always will be Hockeytown.enough said

Detroit does not have the craziest fans or loudest arena but what do you expect. The Wings have made the playoffs every year for the past 18 years. We're spoiled. We expect to win and aren't shocked when we do. Other teams may have crazier fans, but only because they're not used to seeing their team win. As far as the actual hockey part, Detroit is Hockeytown.

(Psst. Dude... is that really your Camaro?)

Have you guys ever noticed in the USA Hockey News map of USA Hockey Regions, they have all the regions numberred and a bunch of states will be lumped together to be Region 4 and a bunch more lumped together makes Region 3, and so on. Well Region No. 1 is Michigan, all by itself.

I think Region 2 is only one state also, like Minny or something, but then the rest are all made up of multiple states.

Have you guys ever noticed in the USA Hockey News map of USA Hockey Regions, they have all the regions numberred and a bunch of states will be lumped together to be Region 4 and a bunch more lumped together makes Region 3, and so on. Well Region No. 1 is Michigan, all by itself.

I think Region 2 is only one state also, like Minny or something, but then the rest are all made up of multiple states.

But... But... Pittsburgh has Crosby...

Disclaimer: All overly emotional and doomsday posters disregard. This is a true question from a true fan

So, we have made it to 17 straight playoff appearances and have had a legitimate shot to win the cup each of those years..if not been the favorite. My question is...are we getting to complacent with "our" success?

There's 2 different aspects of this debate.

#1) The front office and the skaters themselves.

Personally, I think that the front office and the players seem to be doing a pretty good job of not taking much for granted. The office seems to be looking to win both long term (locking in possible franshise players in long-term deals and consistently signing all stars for one year deals).

Although there is some talk of individual players getting lazy mid-season, I think that the franchise is doing everything it can to win.

My bigger concern lies with us, the fans.

So #2, the general population of Hockeytown.

While I agree that most of the members of this site are die hard fans who bleed red in more than the physiological sense, I'm afraid that much of the general population is becoming slowly desensitized to winning.

For lack of a better term, it "feels" like many fans are starting to downplay small successes and blow up every small disappointment. Attendance being down may largely due to the economy tanking...but even our consistantly losing teams like the Lions still pack the stands each and every game..yet even the Wings playoff sellouts have loads of sold seats remaining vacant during the playoffs unless it's a potential series-clenching match.

I love the fact that the Wings have had almost 2 decades of regular season successes...but I'm afraid that we are taking it for granted and slowly starting to lose apprecciation for how lucky we are every time the red and white come out on top after 3 periods whether it be a preseason game, playoff game, or a stanley cup final match.

Due to my job, I've had to move around the country and have gone to Wings games as much as possible in other venues. It is something else to see how excited these other fans are just to see their team competing for a playoff spot..when we should be even more excited to always be a "shoe in". The reality is that the Joe should be rocking every night in apprecciation and excitment at the prospect of another great season....and this should be more and more the case with every win, every year.

We as fans need to show these other towns who think they are something else by a year or two of success..or even the prospect of success (Chicago sure comes to mind)..that this is Hockeytown, that we all know it, and that we love it. I don't want to feel like the only guy standing in my section when the Wings score..even if the goal puts us up 6-0 in the 2nd..

Just some thoughts.

-Z

Wings fans simply don't make enough noise. Also, texting during the whole game seems like a pretty dumb idea, but I see as many men as women doing it. I don't get it.

There's no question that honeymoon experience is awesome -- we got it in 1997 and the Joe was rocking, as well as all of Michigan.

But I would not trade 3 Cups since then for that 'first time' feeling again.

Wings fans simply don't make enough noise. Also, texting during the whole game seems like a pretty dumb idea, but I see as many men as women doing it. I don't get it.

as someone that always has watched on tv, it seems like most fans are more worried about turning around and waving at the camera than watching the game. though i am sure they are the ones sending texts before and after they stand up and look like an idiot.

"omg i just made myself look like a douchebag on tv it was awesome!!!!111"