• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingMachine91

Devellano says Wings close to signing Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

I am consistently annoyed by the asymmetry of Helm centering two scoring wingers, but I can't really think of a better way to do it.

I'm telling ya, Williams=3rd line center.

Cleary-Zetterberg-Franzen

Filppula-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Leino-Helm-Williams

Eaves-Draper-Maltby

Holmstrom

Abdelkader inserted for Maltby whenever we can without getting into cap trouble.

Sure does give us some options, doesn't it?

I am consistently annoyed by the asymmetry of Helm centering two scoring wingers, but I can't really think of a better way to do it.

You could always put Helm on the 4th line and give him lots of time on the 2nd PK to account for the missing minutes.

How does this look:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Williams-Leino

Helm-Draper-Eaves

Maltby

PP:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Franzen-Filppula/Leino-Cleary

Kronwall-Williams/Ericsson

PK:

Datsyuk-Filppula

Lidstrom-Ericsson

Zetterberg-Cleary/Helm

Kronwall-Stuart (assuming Babs wants to keep them together, otherwise switch Stuart and Big Rig)

I'm not sure how keen I am on using Williams at centre given the fact that he's not as defensively strong as you'd expect from a

I have to say two simple things, and line suggestions with Bert.

1) I don't like the idea of Bertuzzi coming back. For what he brings, I think there are options out there who are cheaper, younger, and healthier. Plus I just generally don't like Bertuzzi as a Wing.

2) With the 12 forwards and 8 defensemen the Wings have signed, including Lilja, have about $529k in available cap space. The Wings would have to be under the cap by the start of the season, and Holland intends to trade a defenseman by then. It will most likely be Brett Lebda or Derek Meech. As the two are very close in talent level and style, it will most likely be Lebda as he costs considerably more. This would leave about $1.179m in cap space. If Lilja is on LTIR, then neither is traded and the Wings have Lilja's cap relief to work with temporarily.

Who here thinks Bertuzzi signs a contract with Detroit for close to the league minimum? I don't see that happening...he could probably get twice that from at least a couple of other teams that have solid playoff chances without him. Teams like Pittsburgh or Washington would probably give him better than $1m.

As far as lines if he DOES sign in Detroit...

Forwards

Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom

Franzen/Filppula/Leino

Cleary/Williams/Bertuzzi

Helm/Draper/Eaves

Maltby

Defense (Healthy Lilja)

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Stuart

Ericsson/Lilja

Meech

Defense (LTIR Lilja)

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Stuart

Ericsson/Lebda or Meech

Lebda or Meech

You mean paralyzed a guy? Nope, that's Bertuzzi alone.

Yeah because Bertuzzi went out there planning on breaking the guys neck. The guy took a headshot at his captain who at the time was a 50 goal scorer and put him out. Then Moore was chirping and whacking guys all game the next game. Bert wanted him to go, Moore kept chirping and running at guys. Bertuzzi stuck up for his captain and unfortunately the guys neck got broken but I tihnk it was the pile up after that did it.

I'm not saying we should break guys necks but having a guy who has proven he'll stick up for his team goes a long way I think. Its too bad what happened but if Moore wasn't acting like such alittle ***** it wouldn't have happened.

I have to say two simple things, and line suggestions with Bert.

1) I don't like the idea of Bertuzzi coming back. For what he brings, I think there are options out there who are cheaper, younger, and healthier. Plus I just generally don't like Bertuzzi as a Wing.

2) With the 12 forwards and 8 defensemen the Wings have signed, including Lilja, have about $529k in available cap space. The Wings would have to be under the cap by the start of the season, and Holland intends to trade a defenseman by then. It will most likely be Brett Lebda or Derek Meech. As the two are very close in talent level and style, it will most likely be Lebda as he costs considerably more. This would leave about $1.179m in cap space. If Lilja is on LTIR, then neither is traded and the Wings have Lilja's cap relief to work with temporarily.

Who here thinks Bertuzzi signs a contract with Detroit for close to the league minimum? I don't see that happening...he could probably get twice that from at least a couple of other teams that have solid playoff chances without him. Teams like Pittsburgh or Washington would probably give him better than $1m.

As far as lines if he DOES sign in Detroit...

Forwards

Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom

Franzen/Filppula/Leino

Cleary/Williams/Bertuzzi

Helm/Draper/Eaves

Maltby

Defense (Healthy Lilja)

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Stuart

Ericsson/Lilja

Meech

Defense (LTIR Lilja)

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Stuart

Ericsson/Lebda or Meech

Lebda or Meech

Leino would have to earn that spot in front of Bertuzzi.

You mean paralyzed a guy? Nope, that's Bertuzzi alone.

I've said it before as have plenty of others, that play was just flaky. Was it a blatant cheapshot? Yeah. Did Steve Moore ask for it though in some ways? Yeah. Did Bertuzzi go out to try and paralyze the guy? No way in hell. What Bertuzzi intentionally did was hardly pretty and quite suspension worthy, but the degree of Moore's injury was undoubtedly maximized by the pile up after which wasn't really Bertuzzi's doing. It was a freak thing that is incredibly unfortunate but it doesn't change the fact that it's been overblown for a long time now by many with plenty of help from the media. After all, the media loves celebrity villains. It's an easy sell to lazy thinkers.

While I do feel bad for Moore, he was just as much if not more of a cheap shot artist than Bertuzzi. If it were the old days, none of this would've happened. The issue isn't about Bertuzzi vs. Moore or vilifying anyone. The biggest issue at play here is that too many guys don't have any respect for other guys on the ice. Moore and Bertuzzi's issues attracted the spotlight because it was a worst case scenario, but crap happens every night that could end the same way depending on the circumstances. So again, the bigger issue here really boils down to respect.

I've said it before as have plenty of others, that play was just flaky. Was it a blatant cheapshot? Yeah. Did Steve Moore ask for it though in some ways? Yeah. Did Bertuzzi go out to try and paralyze the guy? No way in hell. What Bertuzzi intentionally did was hardly pretty and quite suspension worthy, but the degree of Moore's injury was undoubtedly maximized by the pile up after which wasn't really Bertuzzi's doing. It was a freak thing that is incredibly unfortunate but it doesn't change the fact that it's been overblown for a long time now by many with plenty of help from the media. After all, the media loves celebrity villains. It's an easy sell to lazy thinkers.

While I do feel bad for Moore, he was just as much if not more of a cheap shot artist than Bertuzzi. If it were the old days, none of this would've happened. The issue isn't about Bertuzzi vs. Moore or vilifying anyone. The biggest issue at play here is that too many guys don't have any respect for other guys on the ice. Moore and Bertuzzi's issues attracted the spotlight because it was a worst case scenario, but crap happens every night that could end the same way depending on the circumstances. So again, the bigger issue here really boils down to respect.

And honestly if Moore would have backed up his actions like he should've it wouldn't have happened. He's pretty tough when he's running Swdeish superstars in the head but when that swedes 6'2 linemate doesn't like it Moore is running his mouth and for the bench. Bertuzzi did what he should've sticking up for his team, just the way it turned out was a freak accident.

And honestly if Moore would have backed up his actions like he should've it wouldn't have happened. He's pretty tough when he's running Swdeish superstars in the head but when that swedes 6'2 linemate doesn't like it Moore is running his mouth and for the bench. Bertuzzi did what he should've sticking up for his team, just the way it turned out was a freak accident.

I agree. I don't want to utterly condone Bertuzzi's actions at all, but it's very hard for me to say that Moore didn't bring it upon himself with his prior actions which some might say were worse than Bertuzzi's at the core. I think Bertuzzi certainly wanted to send a message after Moore refused to face him face to face, but I don't believe for a second he intended to injure the guy in any severe way. There's some skewed logic in the air if we're going to praise McCarty's pounding of Lemieux way back when and get all uppity about Bertuzzi's punch on Moore. If not for the resulting pileup, Moore likely would've skated off less damaged than Lemieux did way back when. In a sport like hockey, hell, in life in general, you can't expect to not have to answer for running around and taking cheap shots on people.

Again, it's a shame that it happened but when it shakes down, one could say in some ways that both Bertuzzi and Moore were victims of a freak accident. Both guys became paralyzed in their own ways and watched their careers slip away. Bertuzzi had a hell of a lot more to lose than a guy like Moore though. Meanwhile, Naslund was the victim of a blatant cheap shot. Moore is the guy who most blatantly was "intending to injure" in his hit on Naslund, and it's still the biggest cheap shot in my mind.

I'm not going to lie, if Bertuzzi signs and wins a Cup with us this year, I'm calling it vindication. I've felt all along that he's gotten a bum deal and I'd love to see him retire on top.

Bulls***.

For one, Moore hit Naslund legally, and Naslund was injured as he fell awkwardly. You can go on and on about it being a cheap shot but it was a legal hit and was ruled as such by the league.

Furthermore, in the game Bertuzzi hunted Moore down and assaulted him in, Moore had already fought Matt Cooke to a draw regarding the Naslund incident. The Bertuzzi incident is one of the few incidents in NHL history where a fight, ONE fight, was not acceptable 'payback' for a cheap shot, or even injuring someone on a legal hit.

Bertuzzi assaulted Moore without any justification, and there is no acceptable defense for his actions nor should anyone even try to justify them.

And honestly, which action is truly worse?

1) Heading to the bench at the end of your shift (Moore had been on the ice for more than 30 seconds) when you have spent the entire shift being challenged to a fight over an incident that happened two games ago as far as the season series between your two teams is concerned, even though you have already fought another member of this player's team over the same incident in the same game.

2) Spending an entire shift following a guy around the ice and then when he doesn't react and fight you, grabbing him by the back of the head and driving him face-first into the ice, breaking his neck in several places and ending his professional hockey career.

I know what is worse, and it's not option 1.

That's part of the problem with hockey today IMO (not that cheapshots didn't take place years ago, but in those days you knew there'd be retribution from an opponent, and it was tolerated to an extent)...Today there are too many guys out there with little respect for their fellow player/opponent , and when a questionable hit takes place (hit from behind into the boards, leaving your feet, getting your elbows up, etc, etc) - some fans/media get upset over the fact that the player whom delivered the questionable hit is now being challenged...I'm of the opinion that you'd better know what you're doing, and be prepared for the consequences.

While I agree there are a lot of cheapshots in the NHL now, don't act like what D-Mac did to the Turtle wasn't dirty.

Edited by rage