• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

Some Disparaging Words from Hudler

Rate this topic

Mlive

"With the Wings, though I won the Stanley Cup, I wasn't a leading part of the team. More likely, 'dragged a grand piano.' And now I would like not only victories, but also direct participation in them. To leave the bench on the first line, the majority of the time, to hammer in key goals. I want to leave Dynamo on that level."

Wow. Basically saying that he wasn't given the opportunity to prove himself as a leading part of the team. Also feels that he simply was a back burner player that helped maintain the team's high level status.

Poor little Huds......like Babs didn't give him more than enough opportunity to prove himself... <_<

Mlive

Wow. Basically saying that he wasn't given the opportunity to prove himself as a leading part of the team. Also feels that he simply was a back burner player that helped maintain the team's high level status.

Poor little Huds......like Babs didn't give him more than enough opportunity to prove himself... <_<

He had his opportunities, but what's the big deal? It was no secret he had to work with 3rd line minutes a lot of the time, and it's no secret that he wasn't a superstar like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen, etc. He was somewhat of a fan favorite, but what he said isn't exactly shocking.

That's only one interpretation. I don't see what's wrong with him saying that he wants to have a bigger role on a team and to get that he needs to go to a team that doesn't have as many stars as Red Wings.

The only thing that interests me from that excerpt is when he says he wants to leave Dynamo on that level. Everything else is just cause for motivation.

I took that as a likely typo or fractured English.... "I want to lead Dynamo on that level" makes more sense.

I also wouldn't be too hard on Happy, it seems like 90% of all hockey players don't think they get the ice time they deserve.

I don't know.... perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but it really sounds like he was complaining of his role on the Wings and lack of opportunity to prove otherwise. That bit about "dragging the grand piano" really got me peeved.

But meh, majority rules.

Babcock was merciless with Huds; if he didn't produce immediately he'd be demoted to lower lines or riding pine (i.e. compare Hudler's treatment with Sammy's, who'd f*** up regularly, and yet continued to play minutes on the PP and top two lines). I hope Babs learned a lesson about pushing players too hard.

Babcock was merciless with Huds; if he didn't produce immediately he'd be demoted to lower lines or riding pine (i.e. compare Hudler's treatment with Sammy's, who'd f*** up regularly, and yet continued to play minutes on the PP and top two lines). I hope Babs learned a lesson about pushing players too hard.

Yep. I completely understand why Hudler is feeling this way. He deserved more chances on the top 2 lines.

I used to love Huds, probably my 3rd favourite behind Flip and Dats, but now...

Been a terrible off-season for his image in my mind. There should be NOTHING to complain about after winning a Stanley Cup.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Mlive

A few things here.

Sounds more to me like Hudler is excited about playing more minutes and having a larger role on the team.

Let's face it, Hudler just wasn't good enough to justify a placement on Detroit's top 6. He was a good fit on the 3rd line, and 2nd pp unit. He has the talent to be better, but he never fully matured.

pretty funny quote ..

Babcock wished Hudler luck and to keep in touch .. butttt

When one of the correspondents I spoke to in an interview doubted it, I pulled out my mobile phone and suggested that they ask the same question to Draper or Babcock."

hah funny s***

Does this little punk realize that he was playing on a team where he wasn't even close to being the best forward?

If he wants more ice time, then go play for a worse team (which I guess is what he's doing now). I don't know how anyone can feel bad for this guy, especially since he did s*** the 2nd half of the playoffs.

On a team with that much talent, ice time is going to be limited for many players. If he couldn't live with that, then he's not much of a team guy.

Hudler's size will always be his disadvantage. All too often he would get knocked around or puched off of the puck. He was good at finding the open ice and being in the right spot for a pass or shot.

I was bummed to see him go, but I don't think where he's going will improve the skills he needs in becoming a better NHL player. Upon his return (if), he'll still be relegated to 3rd line status.

Does this little punk realize that he was playing on a team where he wasn't even close to being the best forward?

If he wants more ice time, then go play for a worse team (which I guess is what he's doing now). I don't know how anyone can feel bad for this guy, especially since he did s*** the 2nd half of the playoffs.

On a team with that much talent, ice time is going to be limited for many players. If he couldn't live with that, then he's not much of a team guy.

Ever consider that was his point when he said he didn't feel like one of the direct contributors? Is the idea that a guy netting 50 points with terrible minutes would want more of a chance to prove himself really that difficult to grasp? What'd he become a hockey player for? To settle for Maltby minutes? He obviously did "live with it" for a long time in our system. His call up was considerably delayed due to the pre-salary cap era when we'd just buy replacement for every guy that left town.... and then when he did get the call he got little opportunity beyond the second power play... He also never said a word of complaint while here (at least none that I recall)... and that isn't being a "team guy"? You guys need to stop treating Hudler like an ex-girlfriend... man-up... he'll be back soon enough, and hopefully when he is back he'll be that top line forward he wants to be... which one of you would be complaining then?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Mlive

Yeah those 2 games he played on the top 6 were crazy. How dare he not score a hat trick every night on the second line.

I understand where you are coming from but you can't claim he isn't a team guy. Yeah, he really isn't top 6 material with the wings but no professional athlete aspires to top out at a minor role. He wants to be a difference maker for some team which wouldn't happen with the wings.

My favorite thing ever is when people misinterpret what a player says and then proceeds to slam them for it.

I knew what Hudler was getting at. He didn't think Babs gave him the opportunity to really show what he could do and kept bumping him down line. So now he feels he's on a team where he'll be given the ability to do that.

And that problem with that is...........................?

I don't feel the need to take a strong opinion on this issue. For one, I don't know if Jiri Hudler will ever play for the Wings again, but if he does, I don't feel the need to cut all loyalty to him now. On the one hand, you kinda feel like every player should believe that they're capable of being the best guy on their team.

You also want to believe that players who pull on the sweater with the Winged Wheel acknowledge that there are costs associated with being part of a perennial winner. If you want to play 24 minutes a game on a top line, sign with the Islanders. You even get an extra two months to work on your golf game! But I'm not even sure Huds numbers didn't BENEFIT from playing on a team like the Wings. He has some skill, but at his size, I'm don't know how much he could create if he were ever the focal point of a line and teams could pound him into the boards all year.

( Send him to the Tallahassee Wort Hogs), I like Huds but he skates like he is dragging an anchor and his D is dreadful at best , come back bigger and stronger and learn how to play D and the Wings may bring you back or not

Edited by DEVILSWATERBOY

This is ridiculous, slamming Hudler for his comments. Should he really make comments like Manny Legace about how he sucks, and doesn't deserve to play for the Wings?

I would think that every professional athlete would consider himself a leader and want the opportunity to show what they can do. That's kind of the nature of the beast. Would Hudler have thrived or wilted if he was put on the 2nd line for an extended period? Noone can say. Babcock's dislike for Hudler is well known, and I haven't seen anyone dispute that. So, if you have a coach that won't give you a chance, what else are you supposed to say.

I guarantee you a big reason for going to Russia is the chance to play top line minutes, and show what he can do. At that price point, you'd think leadership will be part of the bargain as well. I'm sure the money didn't hurt either. But really, he didn't say anything bad at all. He just expressed his excitement at finally getting out from under the frustration he's had to deal with.