• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Marleau loses Sharks captaincy

Rate this topic

Patrick Marleau’s jersey no longer has a C on it.

“As of now,†Coach Todd McLellan said Monday, “nobody’s our captain.â€

“We don’t have assistant captains. The discussion is ongoing and when we determine that, then we’ll make those announcements.â€

San Jose Mercury

I'd actually love to see Thornton get the C and lead them to a cup within the next few years, maybe one of the best players in the world would finally get the recognition he deserves?

I always used to be one of the ones who would make fun of joe for being a playoff no show. Sure it may still be true, but I don't think I can make fun of him anymore. I met him a couple weeks ago when he and a few of his teammates were in St. John's, Newfoundland for a golf tournament. I met them down on George Street during the opening night of the George Street Festival. Him and everyone he was with ended up renting out one of the bars so they could be left alone by all the people and just enjoy the night. But after the night was almost over, one of my former coworkers introduced me to the bunch. It was really awesome, and I must say, Joe is one of the friendliest people you could ever meet. It was funny to, because I was on the deck of the bar right across the street from them at first, and I noticed Ehrhoff point in my direction then Joe and Clowe both looked over as well. They seemed to be looking at me, so I was weirded out. When I met them, they told me they noticed me with my red hair from accross the street. Of course I mentioned to them that my hair is red for the Red Wings.

Anyway, I think he would definitely make a good captain in San Jose, and as long as the Sharks don't cross paths with the Wings in the post season I wish them all the luck in the world. I mean hey, at least they have a Newfie on the team as well :lol:

Here is a pic anyway, it's not very good because it was taken with my cellphone and it has no zoom or anything. It is Thornton, Ehrhoff, and Clowe at the right side up on the balcony, right at the Molson Canadian banner. It's easy to pic out Joe, but not so much the other two. I also know for sure that Adam Pardy as well as Daniel and Michael Ryder were there as well, but I've met those 3 numerous times already.

6800_249727860444_858160444_8154730_3138440_n.jpg

Also, on the bottom left you can see a dude wearing a Wings jersey. Hell yeah!!!

Edited by marcaractac

I always used to be one of the ones who would make fun of joe for being a playoff no show. Sure it may still be true, but I don't think I can make fun of him anymore. I met him a couple weeks ago when he and a few of his teammates were in St. John's, Newfoundland for a golf tournament. I met them down on George Street during the opening night of the George Street Festival. Him and everyone he was with ended up renting out one of the bars so they could be left alone by all the people and just enjoy the night. But after the night was almost over, one of my former coworkers introduced me to the bunch. It was really awesome, and I must say, Joe is one of the friendliest people you could ever meet. It was funny to, because I was on the deck of the bar right across the street from them at first, and I noticed Ehrhoff point in my direction then Joe and Clowe both looked over as well. They seemed to be looking at me, so I was weirded out. When I met them, they told me they noticed me with my red hair from accross the street. Of course I mentioned to them that my hair is red for the Red Wings.

Anyway, I think he would definitely make a good captain in San Jose, and as long as the Sharks don't cross paths with the Wings in the post season I wish them all the luck in the world. I mean hey, at least they have a Newfie on the team as well :lol:

Here is a pic anyway, it's not very good because it was taken with my cellphone and it has no zoom or anything. It is Thornton, Ehrhoff, and Clowe at the right side up on the balcony, right at the Molson Canadian banner. It's easy to pic out Joe, but not so much the other two. I also know for sure that Adam Pardy as well as Daniel and Michael Ryder were there as well, but I've met those 3 numerous times already.

6800_249727860444_858160444_8154730_3138440_n.jpg

Also, on the bottom left you can see a dude wearing a Wings jersey. Hell yeah!!!

wow dude, that's awesome!

I'd actually love to see Thornton get the C and lead them to a cup within the next few years, maybe one of the best players in the world would finally get the recognition he deserves?

He deserves the recognition he gets in the playoffs. Joe's yet to put together an above average playoff run. This year he put up some points but couldn't do it when it mattered aside from a single game. Why did Boston dump him? He was a playoff choker for them. As it stands he's yet to prove he can elevate his game in the playoffs or even play consistent playoff style hockey.

I have a feeling Marleau's on his way out. This is just the first step.

Earlier in the summer it definitely seemed that way. But now? Why would you strip a player you're trying to sell to someone else of their captaincy? That hardly helps you sell them. If there was an expectation that he'd be traded this off-season then surely they wouldn't hurt his value by saying he's not a good enough leader.

He deserves the recognition he gets in the playoffs. Joe's yet to put together an above average playoff run. This year he put up some points but couldn't do it when it mattered aside from a single game. Why did Boston dump him? He was a playoff choker for them. As it stands he's yet to prove he can elevate his game in the playoffs or even play consistent playoff style hockey.

they were not even a great team back then..they failed to make the playoffs for a couple years. I also thought the owners where always cheap.

Earlier in the summer it definitely seemed that way. But now? Why would you strip a player you're trying to sell to someone else of their captaincy? That hardly helps you sell them. If there was an expectation that he'd be traded this off-season then surely they wouldn't hurt his value by saying he's not a good enough leader.

I think if the guy is getting shopped around, that is evidence enough he is not a good enough leader. I really don't think it makes much of a difference to the GMs.

My guess is Boyle will get the C. If Thorton gets it, then that team is looking for quite a few more first round exits in the future.

Edited by Doc Holiday

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I am not sure how long any of these guys are signed so maybe they aren't great choices based upon that.

But I would give it to:

"C"

Ryan Clowe or Joe Thornton

"A"

Clowe or Thornton

Christian Ehrhoff

I think if the guy is getting shopped around, that is evidence enough he is not a good enough leader. I really don't think it makes much of a difference to the GMs.

My guess is Boyle will get the C. If Thorton gets it, then that team is looking for quite a few more first round exits in the future.

I can see that happening. He was rock solid for them last year.

I don't think anyone is leaving the Sharks at this point. If Marleau and/or Thornton were to be shopped, it would have happened already. True, losing one of those two would shake-up the team AND free up much-needed cap space. Last time I looked they had 19 players signed, a no-name backup (I didn't recognize it), and $300K OVER the cap. Sharks have no problem in the reg season. If I recall, they are the winningest team in the reg season over the past 5 or 6 years.

SJ will dump in Round 2 at best this year. With no backup, Nabokov gets over-used AGAIN and runs out of gas in the playoffs. You may see a Thornton or Marleau move at the trade deadline.

I don't think anyone is leaving the Sharks at this point. If Marleau and/or Thornton were to be shopped, it would have happened already. True, losing one of those two would shake-up the team AND free up much-needed cap space. Last time I looked they had 19 players signed, a no-name backup (I didn't recognize it), and $300K OVER the cap. Sharks have no problem in the reg season. If I recall, they are the winningest team in the reg season over the past 5 or 6 years.

SJ will dump in Round 2 at best this year. With no backup, Nabokov gets over-used AGAIN and runs out of gas in the playoffs. You may see a Thornton or Marleau move at the trade deadline.

I actually think this whole Captiancy thing involves a trade with Heatly. i have always thought Heatly was going to SJ- I bet its for Marleau and someone like Goc or a pick...just a hunch

Those of us that cry teal tears every playoff season knew that this was coming. Marleau losing the C this year is no surprise. I would be shocked if they gave it to Thornton...but I also wouldn't really see it as a negative either. I agree that his playoff play really doesn't inspire passion, maybe giving him the C would wake his ass up and help him to realize that dishing out 639 assists in the regular season isn't what this team really needs. That being said, I think it's far more likely to be going to someone like Boyle or Pavelski. Boyle is an obvious pick because of his experience, play, and heart. Boyle is also under contract through the '13-'14 season, another plus to naming him captain. Pavelski is a name that doesn't get thrown into this conversation much, but he has all the previously mentioned attributes with the added bonus of being younger. He will be a restricted free agent after the upcoming season, so if they resign him I think he's an excellent choice as well.

As far as cap room and possible trades go, the Sharks will still make some sort of move before the start of the season. They need to clear cap space and sign another forward or two. They might move a D man, and possibly michalek or cheechoo. Thornton isn't going anywhere and Marleau (and his wife) have that NTC.

Nabokov's backup is Thomas Greiss. He's been in the organization for a while and led the AHL Sharks team to a nice run in their playoffs last year. Not a top level backup, but serviceable.

What recognition? He hasn't earned it.

Those of us that cry teal tears every playoff season knew that this was coming. Marleau losing the C this year is no surprise. I would be shocked if they gave it to Thornton...but I also wouldn't really see it as a negative either. I agree that his playoff play really doesn't inspire passion, maybe giving him the C would wake his ass up and help him to realize that dishing out 639 assists in the regular season isn't what this team really needs. That being said, I think it's far more likely to be going to someone like Boyle or Pavelski. Boyle is an obvious pick because of his experience, play, and heart. Boyle is also under contract through the '13-'14 season, another plus to naming him captain. Pavelski is a name that doesn't get thrown into this conversation much, but he has all the previously mentioned attributes with the added bonus of being younger. He will be a restricted free agent after the upcoming season, so if they resign him I think he's an excellent choice as well.

As far as cap room and possible trades go, the Sharks will still make some sort of move before the start of the season. They need to clear cap space and sign another forward or two. They might move a D man, and possibly michalek or cheechoo. Thornton isn't going anywhere and Marleau (and his wife) have that NTC.

Nabokov's backup is Thomas Greiss. He's been in the organization for a while and led the AHL Sharks team to a nice run in their playoffs last year. Not a top level backup, but serviceable.

Good post. I love Joe Pavelski. The kid's a real gamer. Big fan of Clowe, as well, but he's hasn't earned it just yet. Sure as hell has the tools, though. Those two, along with Torrey Mitchell, set the example last year. Ducks were just too much for them.

This reminds me of what happened to Mike Modano a couple of years ago. Mike was a good leader but maybe not the best captain. As a historical note, if it happens, I think the last summer Big Joe was given the captaincy, he was soon traded to San Jose.

...I know, it means nothing. :P

What recognition? He hasn't earned it.

Good post. I love Joe Pavelski. The kid's a real gamer. Big fan of Clowe, as well, but he's hasn't earned it just yet. Sure as hell has the tools, though. Those two, along with Torrey Mitchell, set the example last year. Ducks were just too much for them.

Yeah Torrey still needs to be signed. Anxious to see that get done and to see how well he'll bounce back this season after hardly playing at all last year. He was BADLY missed on the 3rd line.

With all due respect, Supafly, Joe Thornton couldn't lead a colony of ants to a melted Hershey bar. Give it to someone who really shows what it takes to lead his team.

been waiting for this for years. he has a dry personality and i don't like him as a captain. boyle should be based on his play and how much cap space he takes up...or blake.