57 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:17 PM

Isn't Rob Blake still on their roster?

If so, he'd be the perfect choice, being the senior statesman and a former captain himself.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (skacore @ August 17, 2009 - 10:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd actually love to see Thornton get the C and lead them to a cup within the next few years, maybe one of the best players in the world would finally get the recognition he deserves?

What recognition? He hasn't earned it.

QUOTE (TheSupafly @ August 18, 2009 - 02:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those of us that cry teal tears every playoff season knew that this was coming. Marleau losing the C this year is no surprise. I would be shocked if they gave it to Thornton...but I also wouldn't really see it as a negative either. I agree that his playoff play really doesn't inspire passion, maybe giving him the C would wake his ass up and help him to realize that dishing out 639 assists in the regular season isn't what this team really needs. That being said, I think it's far more likely to be going to someone like Boyle or Pavelski. Boyle is an obvious pick because of his experience, play, and heart. Boyle is also under contract through the '13-'14 season, another plus to naming him captain. Pavelski is a name that doesn't get thrown into this conversation much, but he has all the previously mentioned attributes with the added bonus of being younger. He will be a restricted free agent after the upcoming season, so if they resign him I think he's an excellent choice as well.

As far as cap room and possible trades go, the Sharks will still make some sort of move before the start of the season. They need to clear cap space and sign another forward or two. They might move a D man, and possibly michalek or cheechoo. Thornton isn't going anywhere and Marleau (and his wife) have that NTC.

Nabokov's backup is Thomas Greiss. He's been in the organization for a while and led the AHL Sharks team to a nice run in their playoffs last year. Not a top level backup, but serviceable.

Good post. I love Joe Pavelski. The kid's a real gamer. Big fan of Clowe, as well, but he's hasn't earned it just yet. Sure as hell has the tools, though. Those two, along with Torrey Mitchell, set the example last year. Ducks were just too much for them.

Hockeytown - No Limits

#23 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

This reminds me of what happened to Mike Modano a couple of years ago. Mike was a good leader but maybe not the best captain. As a historical note, if it happens, I think the last summer Big Joe was given the captaincy, he was soon traded to San Jose.

...I know, it means nothing. tongue.gif

#24 TheSupafly

TheSupafly

Shark fan extrodinaire

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Zion @ August 18, 2009 - 12:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What recognition? He hasn't earned it.

Good post. I love Joe Pavelski. The kid's a real gamer. Big fan of Clowe, as well, but he's hasn't earned it just yet. Sure as hell has the tools, though. Those two, along with Torrey Mitchell, set the example last year. Ducks were just too much for them.

Yeah Torrey still needs to be signed. Anxious to see that get done and to see how well he'll bounce back this season after hardly playing at all last year. He was BADLY missed on the 3rd line.

#25 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:34 AM

With all due respect, Supafly, Joe Thornton couldn't lead a colony of ants to a melted Hershey bar. Give it to someone who really shows what it takes to lead his team.
Posted Image

#26 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:00 AM

been waiting for this for years. he has a dry personality and i don't like him as a captain. boyle should be based on his play and how much cap space he takes up...or blake.

#27 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

They are obviously intending on giving it to Thornton. Maybe their goal is to let Big Joe have a different role/mindset when going into the playoffs. A more responsible one. I would give it to Blake, but Thornton looks like the next realistic candidate.

#28 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

I think it goes to Boyle.

It's not a surprise Marleau was stripped. Really, Im surprised it took this long. SJ needs to make some changes and this should only be the first of more to come.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#29 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

They're just waiting for Luke Schenn to develop into the role. Hanta yo!

No, wait, those are Ron Wilson's other crappy teams. NVRMND.

I kept waiting and waiting for the promised shake-up to happen in San Jose and it really never happened at all. Doug Wilson is in a very good position to deal for talent (Heatley? Kessel?) but they either don't want to give up the players who shat the bed in the playoffs (Nabokov, Marleau, Michalek) or they're in no hurry to change the chemistry on that team. I guess losing out in the first or second round every year must be good enough for them.

#30 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ August 18, 2009 - 01:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Earlier in the summer it definitely seemed that way. But now? Why would you strip a player you're trying to sell to someone else of their captaincy? That hardly helps you sell them. If there was an expectation that he'd be traded this off-season then surely they wouldn't hurt his value by saying he's not a good enough leader.

With all due respect IMO I think your logic on this is flawed. Stripping someone of their captaincy couldn't hurt said player's trade value any more than wanting to trade him would. A GM hearing an offer from Doug Wilson that includes Marleau would know losing his captaincy was a result of wanting to trade him so the question would be, why he wants to trade him not why he lost the C.

From my POV, it seems Wilson is making a big push for Heatley.
Rough as guts.

#31 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

Give the C to Claude!!!!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#32 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Doggy @ August 20, 2009 - 04:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From my POV, it seems Wilson is making a big push for Heatley.

Cause that's what a team needs with motivational issues.

A locker room cancer.

#33 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ August 20, 2009 - 05:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cause that's what a team needs with motivational issues.

A locker room cancer.

Whether you agree with the move or not is of no consequence - it's been well-documented that the Sharks are after Dany Heatley. Seems to me maybe they've decided they're willing to trade Marleau for him.
Rough as guts.

#34 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Doggy @ August 20, 2009 - 05:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whether you agree with the move or not is of no consequence - it's been well-documented that the Sharks are after Dany Heatley. Seems to me maybe they've decided they're willing to trade Marleau for him.

I didn't say that to disprove your point, I was saying it to point out that is a stupid idea of Wilsons.

But considering it is the Sharks, making a move for him wouldn't surprise me.

#35 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ August 20, 2009 - 05:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't say that to disprove your point, I was saying it to point out that is a stupid idea of Wilsons.

But considering it is the Sharks, making a move for him wouldn't surprise me.

It just seems very likely now. On TSN today they were talking about how it seems almost written on the wall that Wilson is ready to trade him. For me, it's hard to disagree.

What makes you say Heatley's a cancer though? I don't think he's got the heart of Yzerman but "cancer" seems a little harsh.
Rough as guts.

#36 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Doggy @ August 20, 2009 - 05:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It just seems very likely now. On TSN today they were talking about how it seems almost written on the wall that Wilson is ready to trade him. For me, it's hard to disagree.

What makes you say Heatley's a cancer though? I don't think he's got the heart of Yzerman but "cancer" seems a little harsh.

Just from the way he has been acting in Ottawa makes me feel like his motivation is only if the cards are laid out perfectly.

Not a guy I would pick to handle adversity well at all.

#37 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ August 20, 2009 - 06:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just from the way he has been acting in Ottawa makes me feel like his motivation is only if the cards are laid out perfectly.

Not a guy I would pick to handle adversity well at all.

Agreed though I wouldn't describe his impact as a cancer. I would consider the actions of former teammate Ray Emery, as "cancerous".
Rough as guts.

#38 Lidstrom for Norris

Lidstrom for Norris

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

After SJ's first round departure to Anaheim, GM Doug Wilson made a statement saying that there was going to be some major changes in the organization before next season. This is his first punch at following through with that statement. I think this is a smart move, and im suprised Marleau wasn't stripped of the captaincy a couple years back. My first pick is Dan Boyle with Thornton and Blake also in the discussion.

We Are Hockeytown!

#39 jpd88

jpd88

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:42 AM

Dont know if this thread was already posted but I just read that Patrick Marleau's captaincy was taken away by the San Jose brass.

"As for Marleau, his name continues to be linked to a potential trade with Ottawa for disgruntled winger Dany Heatley and, as of now, has been removed as captain of the Sharks. On the eve of Canada camp, San Jose coach Todd McLellan told reporters in San Jose the team no longer has a captain or assistant captains, and GM Doug Wilson told ESPN.com on Wednesday those leadership positions will be reevaluated at training camp."

ESPN.com, Scott Burnside

Does anyone think this means that him and Heatley are going to get swapped? Personally I think its a fair trade because both players have flopped for their teams (excluding Heatley's performance in the 2007 playoffs) in pressure situations and a change of scenery would help both. Also, the Sharks cleared up cap room by trading Ehrhoff and Lukowich to the Canucks. What do people think?

#40 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:50 AM

Sorry, but this happened ages ago.
Rough as guts.