39 replies to this topic

#1 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

Favre to Sign w/ Vikings

Excuse me while I throw up. I just lost the tiny bit of respect I had left for Favre.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#2 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

Brett Favre trolls the NFL for the second straight offseason.

Better than Rosencopter, but only third best QB in the NFC North (unless the Lions start Stafford f*** yeah), but he does have Purple Jesus in the backfield to be the focal point of the offense.

Still got Bears to win the division.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#3 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (NeverForgetMac25 @ August 18, 2009 - 10:41AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Favre to Sign w/ Vikings

Excuse me while I throw up. I just lost the tiny bit of respect I had left for Favre.

I never had much to begin with wink.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#4 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ August 18, 2009 - 11:27AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never had much to begin with wink.gif

I don't know how you couldn't have earlier in his career. The second or (more-so) latter part is another story.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#5 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

What I find funny is that he is coming back "because their is something left in the tank" yet he signs with Green Bay's biggest rival and this appears to have all the makings of looking to take it to the Packers organization and not the latter.

Shame on you #4 for ruining a hall of fame career. Also good luck on returning to Green Bay this year....hope he enjoys boos because he will get his share of them in a place I thought he never would.

#6 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (NeverForgetMac25 @ August 18, 2009 - 11:52AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how you couldn't have earlier in his career. The second or (more-so) latter part is another story.

Well for starters I'm not much of a football fan; never had anything for, or against Favre - rather neutral to be honest until he started his "I might retire" charades several years ago...That's when I felt the guy was being a goof, and for whatever reason he was looking for attention...Got tired of that real quick.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#7 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ August 18, 2009 - 04:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well for starters I'm not much of a football fan; never had anything for, or against Favre - rather neutral to be honest until he started his "I might retire" charades several years ago...That's when I felt the guy was being a goof, and for whatever reason he was looking for attention...Got tired of that real quick.

That makes perfect sense then. If you were a fan before those charades started though, you would sing a different tune....atleast until mid-way through his career (as I noted above).

#8 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (timothy1997 @ August 18, 2009 - 04:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I find funny is that he is coming back "because their is something left in the tank" yet he signs with Green Bay's biggest rival and this appears to have all the makings of looking to take it to the Packers organization and not the latter.

Shame on you #4 for ruining a hall of fame career. Also good luck on returning to Green Bay this year....hope he enjoys boos because he will get his share of them in a place I thought he never would.

QFT

And deserves every bit of those boos. He's so hell-bent on getting back at Ted Thompson he doesn't care that he's pissing on every Packers fan that used to support him blindly. I was one of them.

Perfect post timothy.

#9 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (NeverForgetMac25 @ August 18, 2009 - 11:41AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Favre to Sign w/ Vikings

What, the guy doesn't have the right to make a living still?? Yeah he went back and fourth. But who cares? It's his life, and his career. You're clearly just a disgruntled Packer fan. Green Bay should have just let him free in the first place. Rather than force him to one of two places, either jets or bucs. So if anyone started a "beef" it was the Packers organization. Saying you lost all respect for Favre is laughable. Yeah he changes his mind a lot. But he's still talented when healthy and deserves a chance to play again. I can't wait to see Favre jumping up and down with joy after a touchdown scored at Lambeau, all while wearing purple. I love it. As for the division. Minnesota will win the central. Bears and Packers will fight it out for second place.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#10 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,372 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

What, the guy doesn't have the right to make a living still??

Right. He's playing for the Vikings because he's strapped for cash.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#11 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (timothy1997 @ August 18, 2009 - 04:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What other team could offer him one iota of what Minnesota could right now:
-They run an offense that he's run his entire career.
-They have the best running back in the NFL.
-They have a very good offensive line.
-They have a solid defense.
-He's good friends with their head coach and offensive coordinator.
-One of his best friends is on the team (Longwell).
-They're only scheduled for one "cold weather" game this season.
-He gets to play 9-10 games inside a dome where he's been lights out the latter part of his career.
-And, oh yeah, he gets to play the Packers twice.

I'm sorry, people think it's all about revenge, but there was never any indication that he wanted to play for the Bears or Lions. He could've gone to Tampa Bay last year and been in the same conference as the Packers, but he didn't seem to have much interest in going there.

The Vikings are a bonafide Super Bowl contender who was lacking a quarterback. Where else could he go, start, and have a pretty decent chance to win the Super Bowl? There's no where else.

NFM:
QFT

And deserves every bit of those boos. He's so hell-bent on getting back at Ted Thompson he doesn't care that he's pissing on every Packers fan that used to support him blindly. I was one of them.

He's not pissing on every Packers fan that used to support him blindly. He's continuing to play football on a team that's a perfect fit.

What? The Packers are perfectly fine to move on without him--and that's NOT pissing on their fans--but he's not allowed to continue his career with the best fit for him because that team just HAPPENS to be a team that Packer fans don't like? C'mon.

The Packers made their decision. Mike McSsolini made sure the trains were still running on time. They wanted Rodgers. Maybe it'll prove to be the best decision for them. It's stupid the team is apparently allowed to dump him and it's just business, but Favre wants to keep playing and suddenly he's the Anti-Christ.

Even if it is 100% about revenge--which it isn't, though I think more of that is there than he's letting on--so what? It's human nature to want to prove your doubters wrong. Anyone who has ever wanted an ex-girlfriend to see them with someone hotter, anyone who has ever wanted to outshine the person that beat them out for a promotion, etc. has felt that way. It's just rare that the opportunity comes around to actually satisfy these urges.

The Packers let him go. Just remember that.

For the record, how do you feel about Edgar Bennett, NFM?

Edited by Packer487, 18 August 2009 - 09:03 PM.

#12 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (Packer487 @ August 18, 2009 - 09:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What other team could offer him one iota of what Minnesota could right now:
-They run an offense that he's run his entire career.
-They have the best running back in the NFL.
-They have a very good offensive line.
-They have a solid defense.
-He's good friends with their head coach and offensive coordinator.
-One of his best friends is on the team (Longwell).
-They're only scheduled for one "cold weather" game this season.
-He gets to play 9-10 games inside a dome where he's been lights out the latter part of his career.
-And, oh yeah, he gets to play the Packers twice.

I'm sorry, people think it's all about revenge, but there was never any indication that he wanted to play for the Bears or Lions. He could've gone to Tampa Bay last year and been in the same conference as the Packers, but he didn't seem to have much interest in going there.

The Vikings are a bonafide Super Bowl contender who was lacking a quarterback. Where else could he go, start, and have a pretty decent chance to win the Super Bowl? There's no where else.

NFM:

He's not pissing on every Packers fan that used to support him blindly. He's continuing to play football on a team that's a perfect fit.

What? The Packers are perfectly fine to move on without him--and that's NOT pissing on their fans--but he's not allowed to continue his career with the best fit for him because that team just HAPPENS to be a team that Packer fans don't like? C'mon.

The Packers made their decision. Mike McSsolini made sure the trains were still running on time. They wanted Rodgers. Maybe it'll prove to be the best decision for them. It's stupid the team is apparently allowed to dump him and it's just business, but Favre wants to keep playing and suddenly he's the Anti-Christ.

Even if it is 100% about revenge--which it isn't, though I think more of that is there than he's letting on--so what? It's human nature to want to prove your doubters wrong. Anyone who has ever wanted an ex-girlfriend to see them with someone hotter, anyone who has ever wanted to outshine the person that beat them out for a promotion, etc. has felt that way. It's just rare that the opportunity comes around to actually satisfy these urges.

Great post man. clap.gif 100% agreed.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#13 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:21 AM

if Peterson is "Purple Jesus", doesn't that make Favre "Purple Judas"??

#14 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (timothy1997 @ August 18, 2009 - 03:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said. I will say there isn't many other places he could go to (if any), but I just don't think he can face the reality of quitting football. This is all so annoying...You can't even watch Sportscenter because of him. Pretty sad so many people lost respect for him, but he made the bed he is laying in so I don't feel sorry for him.

#15 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

If the Vikings are so obviously the perfect place for him and all he wants to do is get out there and play, why did he skip most of the training camp grunt work?
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#16 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (betterREDthandead @ August 19, 2009 - 01:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the Vikings are so obviously the perfect place for him and all he wants to do is get out there and play, why did he skip most of the training camp grunt work?

Because he's old and lazy and didn't want to go to camp. wink.gif

They were very seriously saying on ESPN yesterday that he specifically waited for as long as he did so that he wouldn't have to go.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#17 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (TheDetroitRedWings @ August 18, 2009 - 07:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What, the guy doesn't have the right to make a living still?? Yeah he went back and fourth. But who cares? It's his life, and his career. You're clearly just a disgruntled Packer fan. Green Bay should have just let him free in the first place. Rather than force him to one of two places, either jets or bucs. So if anyone started a "beef" it was the Packers organization. Saying you lost all respect for Favre is laughable. Yeah he changes his mind a lot. But he's still talented when healthy and deserves a chance to play again. I can't wait to see Favre jumping up and down with joy after a touchdown scored at Lambeau, all while wearing purple. I love it. As for the division. Minnesota will win the central. Bears and Packers will fight it out for second place.

Make a living? Seriously? Brett Favre hasn't had to "make a living" since the mid-90's.

However, of course he has the right to play....and no, I'm most certainly not just a disgruntled Packers fan. I have zero respect for Ted Thompson for handling the situation the way he did the previous offseason, and now I have lost all respect for Favre who clearly is all about sticking it to Thompson even though he's pissing on all those that have blindly supported him since he turned this organization around.

This has nothing to do with him not deserving a chance to play. This has to do with Favre picking the one team no Packers fan ever wants to see their players go to, especially the greatest player in franchise history. If you can't see that for what it is, there's no point debating it with you.

QUOTE (Packer487 @ August 18, 2009 - 08:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't honestly believe this has nothing to do with just "continuing to play," do you? Why was Favre so hell-bent on playing for the Vikings last year? For the simple reason of wanting to get back at Thompson for putting him in a position he wasn't ready to be in at the time. The point is, Favre can tell the media (as he did yesterday) that this has "nothing to do with Thompson" all he wants...we all know damn well it atleast has something to do with it. While Favre is sticking it to Thompsom, the Packers fan-base are the ones that suffer seeing the all-time face of their franchise playing for its most hated nemesis.

Edgar Bennett, Brett Favre....apples, oranges.

#18 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

This isn't a 1 year contract, it's a 2 year contract worth $25M.

#19 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (BeeRYCE @ August 20, 2009 - 06:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This isn't a 1 year contract, it's a 2 year contract worth $25M.

I actually started the thread before he signed the deal and it was rumored to be between $10-$12 for one year. I've made the change.

#20 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

After he finishes the last six games of the year with 4-5 TD passes and 10-12 INTs he'll be cut anyways, so it's as good as a one year deal. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users