39 replies to this topic

#21 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Heroes of Hockeytown @ August 21, 2009 - 10:33AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After he finishes the last six games of the year with 4-5 TD passes and 10-12 INTs he'll be cut anyways, so it's as good as a one year deal. biggrin.gif

Nah he will announce his retirement and the Vikes will draft Tim Tebow or Sam Bradford to make them their franchise quarterback. Then during training camp he will say he wants to come back but the Vikes tell him he has to compete for the position like everyone else and they end up cutting him. #4 then comes to Detroit so he can take it to the Pack and the Vikes but tell everyone else that their is "just something left in the tank".

#22 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

I have nothing against Brett Favre personally, if he wants to play football and keep doing tihs as a living, more power to him, but my god I am tired of hearing about him. Him, Sidney Crosby, Tim Tebow. Guys I have absolutely zero beef with but it just get beyond the point of absurdity how media kisses these people's butts.

#23 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (NeverForgetMac25 @ August 19, 2009 - 03:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, of course he has the right to play....and no, I'm most certainly not just a disgruntled Packers fan. I have zero respect for Ted Thompson for handling the situation the way he did the previous offseason, and now I have lost all respect for Favre who clearly is all about sticking it to Thompson even though he's pissing on all those that have blindly supported him since he turned this organization around.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion--and it's one that I respect more than 99% of the people on this board--but I really don't understand this viewpoint. The way Thompson handled the situation last year caused you to lose all respect for him, how do you think Favre felt? We're fans, we're emotional, but at the end of the day we're just fans. Favre was actually affected by what took place last offseason, with the train leaving the station and all. If it was enough to make you lose all respect for the man, I'm sure Favre felt the same way. It's just he's in a position to do something about it.

This has nothing to do with him not deserving a chance to play. This has to do with Favre picking the one team no Packers fan ever wants to see their players go to, especially the greatest player in franchise history. If you can't see that for what it is, there's no point debating it with you.

That's fair, but what other options were there? Like I said, I don't deny that part of this is sticking it to Thompson, but in the end it's about winning another Super Bowl is it not? The best revenge is success. If he wins a Super Bowl, Thompson looks like much more of a fool than if Favre comes back, beats GB twice, and doesn't go anywhere in the playoffs. So I don't really buy that he had to go to a team in the division. He picked a team that gives him the best chance to win another title--the best team that needed a quarterback badly.

You don't honestly believe this has nothing to do with just "continuing to play," do you? Why was Favre so hell-bent on playing for the Vikings last year? For the simple reason of wanting to get back at Thompson for putting him in a position he wasn't ready to be in at the time. The point is, Favre can tell the media (as he did yesterday) that this has "nothing to do with Thompson" all he wants...we all know damn well it atleast has something to do with it. While Favre is sticking it to Thompsom, the Packers fan-base are the ones that suffer seeing the all-time face of their franchise playing for its most hated nemesis.

I still firmly believe that he wanted the Vikings because they were by far the best team out there that needed a quarterback. It helps--for sure--that they're in the NFC North as well, but if all he wanted was a chance to play the Packers and beat them, why didn't he push more for Tampa last year? It seems that Favre actually preferred the Jets over the Bucs and the Bucs were on GB's schedule last year.

I know this has something to do with Thompson. But I don't think he picked the Vikings specifically because they're a rival of the Packers. More because they're actually a really strong team. If all he wanted was a rival, we would've heard more about the Bears or (haha) the Lions too. Neither of those teams were ever mentioned and they both clearly needed QBs as well. It was always the Vikings. Why? Adrian Peterson, familiar offense, one of his best friends, dome...they've got a lot to offer a QB looking to go out on top.

Edgar Bennett, Brett Favre....apples, oranges.

Why? Because they parted on more friendly terms? He's still a Packer Hall of Famer who had free reign to go wherever he wanted and he picked the Bears. Maybe he's not a legend like Favre, but he's pretty far up the list to be in the PHOF. Sharper: Future Packer HOFer immediately signed with the Vikings. Ditto Longwell. Majik played for the division rival Lions.

Heck, Aaron Kampman was a free agent, signed with the Vikings and the Packers matched the offer. (There were plenty of Packer fans at the time who were not only not upset, but would have gladly taken the 4th rounder in compensation, good luck getting them to admit that now.) I wonder if he's good enough yet that doing something similar would make him Benedict Arnold.....

I personally just don't see the problem. The guy wanted to continue his career and the Packers decided it wasn't going to be in Green Bay. They used their leverage to place him in a situation that worked well for them--and they guaranteed that he couldn't end up with the teams they didn't want him to end up with by putting a poison pill in the contact. A year later, Favre had the leverage because the Jets had no cap space, and he used it to put himself on the team that's the best fit in the entire league for a guy like him.

Is he supposed to retire or go to a lesser team just because the Vikings are a rival? I'm sorry, I don't see it as spitting in the face of Packer fans. They're clearly the best fit and it's not even close. He's doing what's best for him. The Packers did what they felt was the best for them. It's business and it blows my mind the number of people in this state who seem genuinely offended that Favre is playing in Minnesota.

If you don't like it, blame Ted Thompson and the guy who had to make the trains run on time, McCarthy. They made the decision to cut Brett Favre loose. How can you blame the man for wanting to put himself into the best situation possible?

#24 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

And that is why I don't care what team he's playing for, I'm happy Brett Favre is still in the NFL. God do I wish he was still in Green and Gold. Purple is better than permanent retirement though.....

That was magical. Once he's gone for good, there's never gonna be another one like him, so I'm happy to watch and cheer for as long as he's willing to play.

#25 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

That last second TD was wicked clutch, I can't complain. Favre has been good and Harvin is definitely your ROTY.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#26 The Noodle 39

The Noodle 39

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:46 AM

Woohoo!!! Brett Favre is still the man! This guy is amazing and i hope he plays until he physically can't anymore.

Thank you Teeman!

#27 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

MNF this monday. Green Bay at Minnesota. Nuff said. Interesting to see #4 against the Pack.

#28 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

I can't even imagine what the ratings are going to be for this game....

It's going to be weird.

#29 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif

It hurts to watch that guy doing those things in that jersey.

But purple is a helluva lot better than retirement. I hope Ted is happy.

#30 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:35 AM

Outside of a couple nice runs AP went nowhere; Vikings offense was all Favre.

Well, sort of. I would say the Vikings O-line is the unsung heroes. Seven seconds to sit in the pocket and make a pass? Zero sacks? It's cool that you loaded up to stop the run, Packers, but you're not beating anyone if you can't get to the quarterback.

I'm sure Aaron Rodgers was green with envy when comparing the protection he got. Eight sacks? EIGHT?! He hung in the pocket too long once or twice but there's just no excuse. Jared Allen went beast mode all over the Packer's line and they had no answer.

I don't know yet if they're the real deal or not, but the NFC North, and the playoff spot that comes along with winning it, is the Viking's (and Favre's!) to lose now.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#31 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:29 AM

Curious to see how the Vikes square up against the Giants. Too bad they play on the last week of the season this year which should have both teams not willing to show their cards at all. Vikes-Giants would be a helluva NFC championship tho.

#32 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

During the game did anyone else hear Jaws say Sidney Crosby instead of Sidney Rice after he caught a pass?

#33 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Heroes of Hockeytown @ October 6, 2009 - 02:35AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Outside of a couple nice runs AP went nowhere; Vikings offense was all Favre.

Well, sort of. I would say the Vikings O-line is the unsung heroes. Seven seconds to sit in the pocket and make a pass? Zero sacks? It's cool that you loaded up to stop the run, Packers, but you're not beating anyone if you can't get to the quarterback.

The funny thing is that the Vikings offensive line is NOT that good in pass protection. Before last night, Favre had been sacked almost as many times as Rodgers and he had gotten hit a bunch of times on top of that. There were people legitimately concerned that the line was going to get him killed during the 49ers game. Mark Roman absolutely destroyed him on one play.

The Packers just have no pass rush whatsoever. They had one good rush end and they made him a LB and don't let him rush the passer anymore.

TT needs to be gone. 5 years into this and the Packers are in shambles on both lines. The offensive line completely blows and the defensive line can't rush the passer at all--though they did a helluva job against Peterson last night.

If you're going to build through the draft, you can't bust as many picks as Thompson has (Bustin Harrell, Brohm, Pat Lee, Brandon Jackson, AJ Hawk--yes he's a bust). Look at the Vikings. They've drafted pretty well but they've supplemented their team with some quality free agents. They needed an offensive lineman and they ponied up and got the best guard in the league. Needed a pass rusher? Paid a premium for one of the best ones in the league. Needed a QB? Courted one until he agreed to come. And it's paying huge dividends.

The Packers are sitting on 30 million in cap space with no pass rush, no offensive line, one NFL-caliber running back, very, very average LBs for the amount of money they're paying them, no depth at safety, and no heir apparent to their aging corners. And in the last three years, the only free agent of note that they've signed who is still on the roster is Brandon freaking Chillar. You're not going to build a winner being the youngest team in the league every season.

Thompson doesn't have a clue and McCarthy is worse. What the hell was that challenge on Rodgers's fumble in the first quarter? He was standing upright! They would've been better off challenging that it wasn't a fumble on the grounds that he scored a touchdown first, then ran back to midfield and got stripped. Same chance of winning it. Maybe we can hear some more about pad level.

Another 6-10 season would be a small price to pay to see those jokers out on their asses. This is getting embarrassing. 20 sacks in 4 games?!

#34 The Noodle 39

The Noodle 39

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (mannysBETTER3434 @ October 6, 2009 - 11:11AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
During the game did anyone else hear Jaws say Sidney Crosby instead of Sidney Rice after he caught a pass?

Yea i was like whaaa... hahahaha!!

But anyways Go Brett Favre!!!! I always thought Elway was the best quarterback i ever saw play the game but now.. i dunno Favre is almost 40 years old and not a single QB in the league can do anything that close resembles what Favre is doing now!

Thank you Teeman!

#35 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

Well I think it's pretty clear who's getting the last laugh. Holy crap.....

16 TDs, 3 picks, and with Minnesota and New Orleans looking like the class of the NFC, almost no chance he'll have to play an outdoor playoff game.

How much more of this nonsense do we have to go through before TT and MM are out on their butts and we can bring in someone who actually wants to build a winner, not just be the youngest team every year. A coach who won't tolerate dip-**** penalties like Jolly's would be nice too. But I'm sure "it'll be addressed". Just like pad level.

#36 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

Favre is the greatest troll in NFL history. laugh.gif

Seriously, I was no fan of all the hemming and hawing he did during the offseason but he is absolutely killing it right now. 16 TDs and just 3 INTs? Dude's a beast.

#37 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:10 AM

Certainly doesn't look like a guy who's gonna hang it up after this season either, as long as he continues to stay relatively healthy. You can tell he's having fun with Harvin and Rice (and of course AD and that line).

Amazing what happens when a GM actually tries to improve his team, huh? I bet Aaron Rodgers would be much happier and healthier if TT had, ya know, signed an offensive lineman instead of sitting on upwards of $20 million in cap space. Not that that's the only problem on that team by any stretch of the imagination.

Pretty clear it's time for a change in GB. 4-3, with wins against probably the three worst teams in the NFL. And they took it square in the face in two of the biggest regular season games in the history of the franchise.

You just can't lose that game. Not after everything that has gone on. You can't let your former QB come in and roll you for four touchdowns. Where's the pride?

Thompson doesn't have a clue how to build a team and McChucklebutt doesn't have a clue how to coach em up. It's time for a change, and it has almost NOTHING to do with Brett Favre. But the fact that they let him go for 500+, 7 TDs, and couldn't sack him says an awful lot about the team they've put together. It's a joke. Hopefully that debacle will be enough to turn up the heat a little.

#38 The Noodle 39

The Noodle 39

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

I still could not believe the Packer fans booed Favre.. Yesi knew it was coming but to see it ACTUALLY happen wow. The man did so much for that team it's ridiculous! What's the reason to boo him anyway? I mean he had the best year of his career in his last season with Green Bay and what do they do? Try and force him to retire and if he does not do that he has to compete with and possibly be benched for Aaron Rodgers!!?? If i was a packer fan i would still be upset to this day with what they did to Favre! Then they traded him off to the Jets when he wanted to go to minnesota in the first place!

Yes i will admit him not being able to make up his mind in the off season was bad for his character but yeesh the man loves football and let him play cause when he's gone that's it. He is the last of the legends of the NFL. The future looks bleak to me yea Brady and Manning are good but there not Favre, Montanna, Marino, Elway material. These Legends of the 80's and 90's made the NFL great and are in a league of there own.

Thank you Teeman!

#39 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

Those two games against the Vikings and the debacle today have to be enough to broom Thompson and McCarthy right? There are too many good coaches out there this offseason to let those knuckleheads hang around any longer.

Favre won the battles, and this team isn't showing that they have the potential to win the war. This team is going absolutely nowhere and Aaron Rodgers got outplayed by a rookie making his first career start (and the rookie showed a helluva lot more field awareness in the process).

The whole front office/coaching staff needs to go. This is terrible.

#40 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

Well, he took them about as far as I expected.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users