• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

Lidstrom's Future

Rate this topic

I was just reading an article about all of this summer's 1-year signings and how great it makes next summer's cap space/freedom and it made me sonder about Nick's re-signing.

I think it's safe to say that he won't be retiring when his contract expires next summer. So I was wondering what other people think.... How much and how long will his next contract be? I realize it's purely speculation, but I'd probably say 2-3 years at a cap hit around $2.5 to $3.0 million.

Additionally, we only have $40.7 million committed to cap space past this year. Excluding the 1-year guys signed this offseason we only have Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Helm, Lilja, Lebda needing new contracts. One of Lilja or Lebda will be gone next year (which one will depend on Lilja's health). Homer is bound to make less if he stays playing, and Helm still won't get more than $2-Million a year... Meaning we're going to have $10-12 Million next summer to sign the same number of guys that we signed with $3.5 this year. And with a cap decrease next year, big contracts will be hard to come by... I think the wings are going to have at least one HUGE UFA signing next year

Edited by Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

1-year/$5 million. $4-$4.5 if Lids is feeling extremely generous.

That's beyond fair for the Wings. The thing is, the dollar amount is practically 100% in Lids' court.

Sidenote: It won't be three years because if Lids retires before that third year, the Wings are on the hook for his cap hit since he signed the deal after turning 35. 2-years would be the absolute max, and 1 is much more likely from here on out.

I imagine they'll take one years from here on out. Somewhere between 5M and 6M next year seems realistic, although a three year "front loaded" contract seems lucrative, despite the possible risks. 5.5M, 3.5M, 1.5M over three years.

Scratch that. 12 year contract, front loaded for a cap hit of .75M

Edited by Echolalia

Guarentee Lidstrom works on 1 year deals from here on out (after his current deal expires). Lidstrom will basically determine the pay rate but knwoing him I'd imagine he takes a discount. My guess is $5-5.5M/yr next season. Then depending on how well he plays and if he decides to come back it will most likely be for a bit cheaper each year.

I agree, only 1-year deals from here on out. If memory serves though, bonuses can be included either on entry level deals or 1-year contracts for vets over the age of 35. The Wings can give him incentive-based contracts (to some degree... it's limited by the NHL) that give the Wings more cap relief.

I also can't see him doing anything other than 1 year deals here on out, he'll probably sign 3 or 4 more of them, but they will all be for a year a piece. I estimate his deal next year being from 5.5 or less, probably closer to the range of 4.5 to give them more freedom for other signings.

Some of these numbers others have been throwing out are skewed though too - Abs will be here full time (and need a new contract), Helm, Lebda and Meech will need new contracts and the cap will likely go down at least 5 mil, so the numbers aren't really as good... as we're basically only looking at about 11 mil to sign at least 9 players (10 for a 23 man roster) and that INCLUDES Lids approx 5... so basically, it leaves us 6 mil to sign 8 players... I'm sure there will be a few league minimum players on the 4th line and I'm sure none of the players mentioned above will have THAT big of pay raises, if any (if they're even still all here -*cough* one of Meech or Ledba *cough*)... but still, lets be realistic... there won't be a big off season signing - it will really be about retaining our own.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk - $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg - $6,083,333

Johan Franzen - $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula - $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary - $2,800,000

Kris Draper - $1,583,333

Ville Leino - $800,000

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski - $6,000,000

Brad Stuart - $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall - $3,000,000

Jonathan Ericsson - $900,000

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood - $1,416,666

Jimmy Howard - $716,666

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE 13

SALARY CAP $51,000,000

PAYROLL $40,704,543

BONUSES $0

CAP SPACE $10,295,457

Edited by stevkrause

the cap will likely go down at least 5 mil

I'm not sure where you've gotten that info but I think it's highly unlikely the cap goes down that much, if at all. Personally I think the cap with stay the same. The Players association has a 5% escalation factor built into their deal so even if league revenues drop 5% the cap stays the same. For the cap to drop $5M I think you'd have to see a very serious drop in league revenues.

I'm betting Lids signs a 1 year for around 5 million. It's a big discount considering he's still playing at the top of his game, and allows the team more wiggle room in following seasons to resign him lower if his talents drop.

I'm not sure where you've gotten that info but I think it's highly unlikely the cap goes down that much, if at all. Personally I think the cap with stay the same. The Players association has a 5% escalation factor built into their deal so even if league revenues drop 5% the cap stays the same. For the cap to drop $5M I think you'd have to see a very serious drop in league revenues.

they can only exercise their 5% escalation for a year at a time, they can't do it 2 years in a row and they already exercised it this year... next year, the cap WILL go down, we just have to hope it's not that much...

they can only exercise their 5% escalation for a year at a time, they can't do it 2 years in a row and they already exercised it this year... next year, the cap WILL go down, we just have to hope it's not that much...

It's truly starting to look as though the recession is past its lowest point. The economy seems to be rebounding slightly and hopefully by the time the new year hits the country will be in a decent stride. My hope is that league revenues (which I agree will be down this year) won't be as low as if we had another full NHL season like the economy was during the entire 2008/2009 season. If that's the case, which I think is slightly more likely, it should put the cap somewhere around $53.5 million. If the economy is like it was during the past season, you're probably dead-on with that $51 million figure.

It's truly starting to look as though the recession is past its lowest point. The economy seems to be rebounding slightly and hopefully by the time the new year hits the country will be in a decent stride. My hope is that league revenues (which I agree will be down this year) won't be as low as if we had another full NHL season like the economy was during the entire 2008/2009 season. If that's the case, which I think is slightly more likely, it should put the cap somewhere around $53.5 million. If the economy is like it was during the past season, you're probably dead-on with that $51 million figure.

I agree, both on the economy and league revenues... I'm just trying to play devil's advocate to an extent, as it is still a possibility that some others on this board want to completely ignore and sweep under the rug...

lets just hope that revenues go up at least enough and that that 53.5 cap is more of a reality than the 51!

I agree, both on the economy and league revenues... I'm just trying to play devil's advocate to an extent, as it is still a possibility that some others on this board want to completely ignore and sweep under the rug...

lets just hope that revenues go up at least enough and that that 53.5 cap is more of a reality than the 51!

100% agreed. The fact of the matter is that the US economy is just pulling out of its worst recession since the Great Depression and some want to believe the cap (which is solely based on league revenues) will remain unaffected. How some tend to be ignoring that make no sense to me.

I agree with Stev... we cannot just assume that the league will weather another year with the economy at this state. Just remember, employment often drags behind the upturn. While businesses may start making more money, they want to make sure it's "real" and not a bounce before expanding the workforce. In a gate driven league, this matters. I would not be surprised in the least in a $5 million drop in the cap.

I agree with most of what everyone is saying, But I bet he will want to win couple more championships before he retires, so Im saying he signs 1 year deals for around $3 mil, that way we can add the players to really compete every year he stays with us.

I agree with most of what everyone is saying, But I bet he will want to win couple more championships before he retires, so Im saying he signs 1 year deals for around $3 mil, that way we can add the players to really compete every year he stays with us.

I do agree he wants to play for a little while still but $3M is really low for a guy like him. That's a tough sell I think

I have to agree with the 1 year scenarios. I'm thinking $4-5M max. Also, I think Holmer's time is done after this year. If he's relegated to 3rd/4th line status, no way the Wings bring him back at the price he's getting now. Holmer has redefined the position in front of the net, but a body can only take so much for so long. Say bye to Maltby and Lilja after this year, too.

I have to agree with the 1 year scenarios. I'm thinking $4-5M max. Also, I think Holmer's time is done after this year. If he's relegated to 3rd/4th line status, no way the Wings bring him back at the price he's getting now. Holmer has redefined the position in front of the net, but a body can only take so much for so long. Say bye to Maltby and Lilja after this year, too.

agreed. Nick has a couple years left in him. Unfortunately, Holmstrom isnt anywhere near as effective as he once was. and as much as i like Maltby, he will prolly hang em up after this year

I realize it's purely speculation, but I'd probably say 2-3 years at a cap hit around $2.5 to $3.0 million

You're dreaming. If he goes down it'll only be a little, like to $6m. The guy was a Norris finalist again dude. There is no reason he should do this. I mean sure, if he says he will I'll take the cap. But there is no way I expect him to take even 4-5 much less this sort of absurdly low number.