• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

russianswede919293

McCarty likely to retire

Rate this topic

No, no he wasn't. Like the rest of the vocal minority I am glad to see this guy go. This is someone who made a disaster out of their personal life and I'm not going to root for a guy like that. I'll take a Yzerman or a Sakic over a McCarty alllllllll day.

So what? He made a disaster of his personal life, but he was able with the help of friends and family that cared for him, to climb out of that disaster and right the ship. You can't root for someone who can take a pile of lemons and make lemonade out of it? Is the idea of recovering from personal demons and coming out the other side a better person completely foreign to you?

No offense, but that's just dumb.

Nobody is making out McCarty more than he is to be. We are just happy when people are able to turn their lives around when odds are heavily favored against them.

Both McCarty and Vick as you referenced f'ed up in the past life bigtime in their own ways. McCarty has turned his life around for the better so far after bankruptcy and the like and seems to be more of a responsible person. I'm all for giving Vick a 2nd chance as well. He's paid his debts for his screw ups and served his jail time, he seems remorseful. While he's far from my favorite athlete if he can turn his life around in football again with Philadelphia (or any other team), more power to him and I'd love to see it happen.

It's about people making the most out of 2nd chances in life. If it happens, how can you not be happy for these people?

No, no he wasn't. Like the rest of the vocal minority I am glad to see this guy go. This is someone who made a disaster out of their personal life and I'm not going to root for a guy like that. I'll take a Yzerman or a Sakic over a McCarty alllllllll day.

Not being vocal helps for future references.

Mac did overlap the personal and professional at one point. It resulted in his contract buyout and departure from the Red Wings. I read an article a while back that said Holland told Mac it was Grinder or Hockey, because it was affecting his work ethic. McCarty said he would not quit Grinder and was bought out. When McCarty realized he had ruined his life through substance abuse he took the steps to fix it. He went to rehab, and then built back an old bridge with Draper, which led to his return to the Wings, who in my opinion kept him last year solely to be a positive influence on guys like Abdelkader.

Mac ran into problems, but he was man enough to admit it, fix it, and put his life back on track.

Do I respect all his choices...no. But I sure as hell respect anyone that is man enough to fix their flaws.

And on top of all that, I respect him as a hockey player. One who had a damn fine career in Red & White for that.

Ask any of the Wings if they'd have won four Cups without him. I think a case can more easily be made that they would not have won a single Cup without him.

:hysterical: OMG, you cannot be serious? Dude, sure he had a few timely goals, but he was just another cog in the machine, he was a very replaceable cog at that. Lapointe and Kocur (both of whom were origianl grindline memebers before McCarty (and were better)) would've done the same thing March 26th, 1997 if they were on the ice (they also wouldn't have gotten thier assed kick the following year when Lemieux went toe to toe with McCarty as he did.) I have never discounted his goals and sticking up for his teammates, but for you to say the Wings wouldn't have won ANY of their Cups without McCarty? (not mentioning that they won 2008 without him.) Dude, you need to come off the McCarty bus, because you fell and bumped your head or something. Acerage player, average fighter, lucky to play where he did. Oh and if he was SOOOOO valuable to this teams success, he would've never got bought out in 2005, doesn't matter what his salary was, they would've bought out someone else, but McCarty was "EXPENDABLE."

Good Luck McCarty, I certainly hope you DO NOT replace Mickey Redmond.

Mac did overlap the personal and professional at one point. It resulted in his contract buyout and departure from the Red Wings. I read an article a while back that said Holland told Mac it was Grinder or Hockey, because it was affecting his work ethic. McCarty said he would not quit Grinder and was bought out. When McCarty realized he had ruined his life through substance abuse he took the steps to fix it. He went to rehab, and then built back an old bridge with Draper, which led to his return to the Wings, who in my opinion kept him last year solely to be a positive influence on guys like Abdelkader.

Mac ran into problems, but he was man enough to admit it, fix it, and put his life back on track.

Do I respect all his choices...no. But I sure as hell respect anyone that is man enough to fix their flaws.

And on top of all that, I respect him as a hockey player. One who had a damn fine career in Red & White for that.

you see how well that worked.... Abby is already getting kicked out of bars and drunking it up! Thanks for all the positive influence Mac!

OMG, you cannot be serious? Dude, sure he had a few timely goals, but he was just another cog in the machine, he was a very replaceable cog at that. Lapointe and Kocur (both of whom were origianl grindline memebers before McCarty (and were better)) would've done the same thing March 26th, 1997 if they were on the ice (they also wouldn't have gotten thier assed kick the following year when Lemieux went toe to toe with McCarty as he did.) I have never discounted his goals and sticking up for his teammates, but for you to say the Wings wouldn't have won ANY of their Cups without McCarty? (not mentioning that they won 2008 without him.) Dude, you need to come off the McCarty bus, because you fell and bumped your head or something. Acerage player, average fighter, lucky to play where he did. Oh and if he was SOOOOO valuable to this teams success, he would've never got bought out in 2005, doesn't matter what his salary was, they would've bought out someone else, but McCarty was "EXPENDABLE."

I Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to think out and post this message (no sarcasm). This really explains exactly WHY you don't like McCarty. (The biggest reason people hated your previous posts about him).

FYI - I still really like McCarty, but now that you've posted this I have no grudge with you anymore :beerbuddy:

Edited by ZMAN

:hysterical: OMG, you cannot be serious? Dude, sure he had a few timely goals, but he was just another cog in the machine, he was a very replaceable cog at that. Lapointe and Kocur (both of whom were origianl grindline memebers before McCarty (and were better)) would've done the same thing March 26th, 1997 if they were on the ice (they also wouldn't have gotten thier assed kick the following year when Lemieux went toe to toe with McCarty as he did.) I have never discounted his goals and sticking up for his teammates, but for you to say the Wings wouldn't have won ANY of their Cups without McCarty? (not mentioning that they won 2008 without him.) Dude, you need to come off the McCarty bus, because you fell and bumped your head or something. Acerage player, average fighter, lucky to play where he did. Oh and if he was SOOOOO valuable to this teams success, he would've never got bought out in 2005, doesn't matter what his salary was, they would've bought out someone else, but McCarty was "EXPENDABLE."

To be fair - how many players would the Wings have won "without"? Those were damn good teams and they have won "without" pretty much everyone but Lidstrom.

But why does that matter? McCarty was obviously well loved by not only the fans, but his teamates and management as well. There is no doubt in my mind he will be inducted into the Red Wings Honored Alumni, and maybe even the Red Wings Hall of Fame, based not only on his value to the team, but also his charitable work in the Detroit area. You (and others) may personally dislike him, but that does not lessen his value to the Red Wings organization.

To be fair - how many players would the Wings have won "without"? Those were damn good teams and they have won "without" pretty much everyone but Lidstrom.

But why does that matter? McCarty was obviously well loved by not only the fans, but his teamates and management as well. There is no doubt in my mind he will be inducted into the Red Wings Honored Alumni, and maybe even the Red Wings Hall of Fame, based not only on his value to the team, but also his charitable work in the Detroit area. You (and others) may personally dislike him, but that does not lessen his value to the Red Wings organization.

Amen! I agree whole-heartedly! But for someone to say I must not be real Wings fan because I don't like a particular player that has played for them is both stupid and asinine! How many folks on the board can't stand Bertuzzi? But I can guarantee they will be cheering when the Wings hoist the 2010 Cup won't they?

Amen! I agree whole-heartedly! But for someone to say I must not be real Wings fan because I don't like a particular player that has played for them is both stupid and asinine! How many folks on the board can't stand Bertuzzi? But I can guarantee they will be cheering when the Wings hoist the 2010 Cup won't they?

Not liking Bertuzzi has nothing to do with cheering IF we win the Stanley Cup this year. I can't stand the son of a *****. I won't boo him or jeer him or shout insults at him when he's on the ice, but that doesn't mean I'm going to like him. IF we win the Cup this season, of course I'll cheer because I'm a Red Wings fan. I'll always be a Red Wings fan regardless of where Bertuzzi plays. I don't however, think he's going to be the difference between us winning or losing the Cup, if that's what you're implying.

Not liking Bertuzzi has nothing to do with cheering IF we win the Stanley Cup this year. I can't stand the son of a *****. I won't boo him or jeer him or shout insults at him when he's on the ice, but that doesn't mean I'm going to like him. IF we win the Cup this season, of course I'll cheer because I'm a Red Wings fan. I'll always be a Red Wings fan regardless of where Bertuzzi plays. I don't however, think he's going to be the difference between us winning or losing the Cup, if that's what you're implying.

not at all what I am implying. I am implying the fact, and you are a perfect example, just because you do not like Bertuzzi, doesn't make you a NON Wings fan. When I expressed my dislike for McCarty, I was told if I didn't like McCarty then I must not be a real Wings fan. My reference to the Cup was that even though MCCarty was part of all 4 Cups, I still don't have to like him, but that doesn't make me a Non Wings fan. According to most people on here that don't like Bertuzzi, its okay not to like him and be a fan of the team still. Double-Standard, just because McCarty was a fan favorite and Bertuzzi, for the most part, isn't. My entire point is, just because I don't like an individual player from the Wings, why does that NOT make me a Wings fan? It was stupid for that user to say. So according to him/her if ANY player puts on the Winged Wheel, I MUST like them or not be a Wings fan...

Edited by LeftWinger

When I expressed my dislike for McCarty, I was told if I didn't like McCarty then I must not be a real Wings fan.

I don't know who said you weren't a fan, but it wasn't me. I said "you must not have been watching closely." There's a difference (not that I expect you to agree with what I actually said, either).

You also misquoted me above when you claim I said the Wings would not have a single Cup without McCarty. I said a case can more easily be made for that possibility as for your suggestion that they would have won four Cups without him.

At least quote accurately if you're going to take issue with what someone said.

Edited by paulwoodsfan

I don't know who said you weren't a fan, but it wasn't me. I said "you must not have been watching closely." There's a difference (not that I expect you to agree with what I actually said, either).

You also misquoted me above when you claim I said the Wings would not have a single Cup without McCarty. I said a case can more easily be made for that possibility as for your suggestion that they would have won four Cups without him.

At least quote accurately if you're going to take issue with what someone said.

I dunno....

Ask any of the Wings if they'd have won four Cups without him. I think a case can more easily be made that they would not have won a single Cup without him.

Looks like you said that they would not have won a single Cup without him..... Whether or not a case can be made. I would expect 4 Cups without him, just as much as with him. He wasn't that big of factor...

Undoubtebly the most idiotic post ever.he will always be one of,if not,my favorite player of all time.you're not a true Detroit Red Wings fan if u dnt appreciate what he did for this team and this city.That is ridiculous.and u call yourself a Detroit Red Wings fan.You're far beyond a digrace.

It is this idoit who thinks just because someone wears the Wheel, and apparently just because they are his/her favorite player that if someone dislikes that player they aren't really a Wings fan...

Let me guess, you also voted for the war, then voted against it...

It is this idoit who thinks just because someone wears the Wheel, and apparently just because they are his/her favorite player that if someone dislikes that player they aren't really a Wings fan...

Let me guess, you also voted for the war, then voted against it...

I don't think he's old enough to vote for anything other than white milk or chocolate with lunch.