• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

DirecTV dropping Versus network

Rate this topic

For those of you with Directv, they have just taken down the HD feed for Versus. Now you can only watch SD.

Seems like they're pulling closer to removing the channel altogether..... :ranting:

Stating that you *can't* get games is false. The fact is, the provider *you've* chosen doesn't offer Versus. That's not the league's fault.

It's the league's fault for choosing Vs. in the first place :X

For those like me who might have just signed up or switched to DirecTV last year and signed a 2 year committed this is a real bummer. And DirecTV offers football & baseball packages where Dish does not. And if your cable doesn't offer all of these then I can see where this will just perpetuate the illegal satellite access or make it even more widespread. With DirecTV you will miss probably at least half of the playoff games. So paying a $450.00 cancellation fee for DirecTV and sign another package with Dish to get the versus HD is probably ridiculous for some peeps. Once you watch hockey in HD it is very very hard to watch it in SD with unstable streaming. I will bet that once nagra 3 gets cracked peeps will use the $450.00 or less to invest in a DVBN & FTA system & get all their HD they want and get rid of the clowns and in the long run NHL revenues will fall. It is the NHL's fault for not structuring their agreements so that if the provider does not offer the coverage it allows the NHL to telecast on their network or whatever to make sure all peeps have access to the games. It was also a mistake to sign with Versus rather than ESPN. I would have been willing to pay the extra $10 a month or whatever to have Versus HD on DirecTV.

Edited by Icesurfer

DirecTV and Fox Sports Network (FSN) are owned by the same corporate entity. Think that has something to do with it?

We just got DirecTV (not THAT impressed either) this summer as well, so yes I am also screwed. Good call Buttman you little troll.

I still won't be surprised if a resolution comes as early as September 12th, the first broadcasted college football game on Versus.

Again they don't broadcast the biggest names more often than not, but still have some solid matchups off the top of my head on VS.

Texas @ Wyoming - In all likelihood a blowout but Wyoming rarely gets national pub and Longhorn fans are nutty about their football obviously, they're the #2 team in the land right now, fans of Texas will be PISSED OFF if they can't watch their game on 9/12.

Florida State @ BYU - Late September I think, both teams currently in the top-20, and FSU has a storied football program and a big fan base despite recent turmoil. Again, fans would not be happy if they can't watch, just like UT fans.

TCU @ BYU - In October, both teams currently in the top-20 and if they both have very few losses, could be a top 15/possibly top-10 matchup.

I've got to the point now with Bettman, that I hope the NHL crashes and burns with their stubborn ideas, and is close to bankruptcy. Bettman will get canned, and the League will finally wake up and do things that will make them money, instead of losing it left and right.

I think I can Market the League and actually make money better than this current group.

Well directtv has 16 million customers in the U.S. So that means the NHL which states that it's trying to reach American fans just lost 16 million potential watchers for a majority of the games they show to the whole country. Versus deal keeps looking better and better. Sure us real hockey fans will end up at friends or bars or find other ways to watch the games but, this further alienates casual hockey fans and those who have never seen hockey. Not exactly a great way to increase intrest in a sport. Just remembered to that about half the bars in this area also have Directtv which will make it even more fun to try and find a game. F the comcast owned versus channel and F Bettman. Hell if NHL wasn't on that joke of a channel I would be glad they dropped it.

I could show a dog taking a crap on espn and chances are the ratings will be as high as most hockey games on versus.

Edited by RedWingsFan4Life

Everybody for a few moments please leave their ZOMG BETTMAN IS A FOOL ROX!032% thoughts and answer this question....

How could Bettman and NHL co. have seen this coming between Versus and the NHL a year/two ago, maybe evern 3-6 months ago? And if I were Versus, I'd get a deal done ASAP not so much for college football or hockey alone, but just for viewer potential. Versus needs DirecTV a lot more than DirecTV needs Versus.

Resume your ZOMG BETTMAN IS A FOOL ROX!032% thoughts now...

Everybody for a few moments please leave their ZOMG BETTMAN IS A FOOL ROX!032% thoughts and answer this question....

How could Bettman and NHL co. have seen this coming between Versus and the NHL a year/two ago, maybe evern 3-6 months ago? And if I were Versus, I'd get a deal done ASAP not so much for college football or hockey alone, but just for viewer potential. Versus needs DirecTV a lot more than DirecTV needs Versus.

Well, actually when the league agreed to the contract with the Outdoor Life Network, they knew or should have know that the channel was not available on many cable systems whereas everybody gets ESPN. So no, they couldn't have predicted the Direct TV/Versus problem, but they should have realized that by signing with a network that has at best limited availability that this could happen.

I only used it during the Ducks/Wings series because a lot of Anaheim games are blacked out in my area but it was pretty nice. I think the HD version was a little flakey and slow coming over the wire (having to constantly buffer) but the low res was reliable.

esteef

I wasn't that impressed by this site. I usually see what I can find on myp2p.eu, or if not (especially if watching the game means staying up really late as I live in Europe) I'll often download the game the next morning, without checking scores online and watch it at my leisure (www.nhltorrents.co.uk is a really great site). The added bonus is that it doesn't take long at all to download, usually, and whoever uploads it edits out all of the ads and crap, so you don't spend 5 hours watching it (I've got to say, I'd rather have uninterrupted play, and stick ads on the uniforms...).

The dumb ass NHL took down atdhe last year, which was by far the best free streaming website.

I'm fully convinced that this league doesn't want its fans to watch its games. :angry:

I don't think that the NHL had anything to do with it, and Atdhe is still up. Apparently what had happened was that someone had managed to tap into an internal Versus feed, and they broadcast it. Versus fixed the glitch :(

That's not true GMR. Practically every single person no matter where they live has the option of subscribing to DirecTV or DISH which both offer Versus in their programming. It's simply a matter of people switching from cable if their provider doesn't offer it.

Stating that you *can't* get games is false. The fact is, the provider *you've* chosen doesn't offer Versus. That's not the league's fault.

I can't get it where I live... NASN is the closest thing, but streaming and/or downloading is the best, as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly. It would be suicidal for Versus to turn down Directv.

Guest micah

How could Bettman and NHL co. have seen this coming between Versus and the NHL a year/two ago, maybe evern 3-6 months ago?

At some point in the negotiations with Vs, an NHL rep said (or should have said, if he didn't) "Demonstrate that you will see to it that the games you are contracted for will reach the largest audience possible before we begin this partnership."

The NHL network doesn't cover the playoffs so that doesn't mean s***. Also, many Wings fans live outside Detroit (we're not the Pens :) ), so this does prevent many of us from watching games, especially playoff games.

:lol: give the pens a few more years of constant sucess as the wings have had and i am sure you will see their fan base spread outside of the city... success breeds out of towner fans ;)

Wow, check this out on directv's site...also I like the message on channel 603 currently...anyone with DTV should check it out, its hilarious.

Directv's statement on Versus

Comcast, the largest cable company in the U.S., owns Versus. They regularly try to charge us amounts well in excess of what is fair and reasonable to carry the programming they own. Their reason is obvious: they want to stifle competition from DIRECTV. Comcast's unfair terms undermines DIRECTV's ability to offer our customers the best possible value. If we simply accept these terms, we would have to absorb the unreasonable costs Comcast wants to charge us, and in turn we will be forced to increase the rates our customers pay. We do not want this to happen. In fact, Comcast has forced us to remove Versus because we would not accept the terms they demanded.

Now was it intelligent for the NHL to go with a channel that was owned by a cable provider? Are you telling me they never imagined this happening?

:rolleyes:

i am of the opinion that the nhl is stupid for dealing with versus/oln. while they certainly could not have predicted that this vs/directv spat would happen, they are the ones that knowingly entered into a deal with a unproven partner. its like in the nfl, if you sign terrell owens, you have a reasonable expectation that he will freak out and screw up your team. you might not know exactly what he will do, but there is a known risk and if it backfires you can't claim ignorance as you knew what you were getting into.

so i just see this as the nhl getting what they deserved.

i am of the opinion that the nhl is stupid for dealing with versus/oln. while they certainly could not have predicted that this vs/directv spat would happen, they are the ones that knowingly entered into a deal with a unproven partner. its like in the nfl, if you sign terrell owens, you have a reasonable expectation that he will freak out and screw up your team. you might not know exactly what he will do, but there is a known risk and if it backfires you can't claim ignorance as you knew what you were getting into.

so i just see this as the nhl getting what they deserved.

Ok, answer this then. At the time of the deal with Versus, who else "proven" was out there?

The league disbanded with ESPN and FOX natinal broadcasts before that.

CBS on a consistent basis? Good luck, it's more less like NBC, broadcasts just one a week.

TNT? Perhaps, but they got the NBA market cornered in terms of showing games on a consistetn basis during the week.

Who else left is there that was "proven"? Very few networks, if any.

So it's not as simple as ZOMG, VERSUS BAD, VERSUS VERY BAD here...

I wasn't that impressed by this site. I usually see what I can find on myp2p.eu, or if not (especially if watching the game means staying up really late as I live in Europe) I'll often download the game the next morning, without checking scores online and watch it at my leisure (www.nhltorrents.co.uk is a really great site). The added bonus is that it doesn't take long at all to download, usually, and whoever uploads it edits out all of the ads and crap, so you don't spend 5 hours watching it (I've got to say, I'd rather have uninterrupted play, and stick ads on the uniforms...).

I don't think that the NHL had anything to do with it, and Atdhe is still up. Apparently what had happened was that someone had managed to tap into an internal Versus feed, and they broadcast it. Versus fixed the glitch :(

I can't get it where I live... NASN is the closest thing, but streaming and/or downloading is the best, as far as I'm concerned.

That is not correct. The NHL issued a "cease and desist" order to Atdhe to stop broadcasting the NHL games. Adthe complied. The games were from the NHL Center Ice broadcasts not from Versus.