• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

DirecTV dropping Versus network

Rate this topic

No, its poor decision-making by Bettman and other NHL executives. When you're managing a top tier pro sports league, you do NOT want to have the majority of your national programming on a network that is owned by a cable tv provider. Anyone that has any kind of business sense would know that conflicts would pop up between TV providers concerning said channel (Versus). Now the league looks even more pathetic, because Comcast is controlling its national programming through a dispute with a COMPETITOR. This would be like the NFL being exclusive to FOX, and lets assume FOX was owned by Dish Network. Would you REALLY want to enter into an agreement like that, knowing that there is a possibility that the channel owner competes with other tv providers? No, because that is an unreasonable risk to lose major chunks of homes, literally millions in this case, from your potential viewing audience.

Instead, Bettman should have sought out a more neutral channel, as this would be safer in the long run. TBS or FX would be good, safe choices, as they are owned by broadcasting companies, not TV providers.

Agreed. But at this point everything is hindsight. It would be great if the NHL could use this to somehow get out of the contract, but I doubt it. If an agreement isn't reached, yes the NHL loses a lot of viewers. I don't think versus shows all that many games personally, and I'm only interested in the Wings and they are pretty rarely on there. For what I pay for premium directv, I should be able to CHOOSE which teams I want to watch, not pay extra.

If the NHL were tech-savvy, which they are not, they would come up with a cool Iphone app that lets you stream your team's games. I paid $9.99 for MLB and it works for me to listen to the Tigers, and get all the replays. Occasionally they stream the videos too.

Another idea would be to have a team-specific package. Lots of out of market Wings fans would be interested in a Wings channel - or being able to pick up just those games. I don't want to pay to watch the whole league - I don't have that much time, and personally there are many teams I don't care to watch at all!

Anyhow, looks like I might be stuck watching only the Avs this year. <_<

It's been a few days now since versus has been down - anyone heard any positive news on this?

At this point, I'd be surprised if any deal gets done before the season starts.

It looks like the only hockey I'll watch this year is either on the NHL network, or through crappy online streams.

Hey, wouldn't it be great if Bettman, using his incredible leadership and business savvy skills, got DirecTV and Versus together into the same room, and mediated a compromise between these 2 companies, thus saving many of us viewers from potentially having to miss hockey this season?

:thumbup:

Guest micah
It looks like the only hockey I'll watch this year is either on the NHL network, or through crappy online streams.

You're a filthy thief and I hope Ken Holland and Gary Bettman find you and execute you, live on VS, for all 18 American NHL fans who'll be watching. They need to send a message and let everybody know exactly who is in control of this busine....er, uh, family friendly game.

....well, 9 NHL fans, one confused octogenerian who thinks they're watching The Price Is Right, and 8 people who tuned in briefly, hoping bullriding or poker were on.

This doesn't get the Versus games back, but I just called in and got a $10 monthly credit for the next 12 months because of this so, take that $120 off the $160 charge for Center Ice and I've got a pretty good deal.

And as far as the Sweden games go, I'll be at the game so I guess I don't need it on TV.

Lucky you're going to be at the games I'm jealous. Thanks for the heads up on the 10 dollar credit i'll call and complain to em and see how it goes :).

The good thing for me is all my friends and my brother have cable so I can just find someone to watch it with. This really will hurt the downriver bars pretty bad when the wings are on versus since most bars seem to have directtv.

I just got off the horn with DirecTV and they told me there's no new news regarding the negotiations. She also said at this point it doesn't look like there will be a deal in place and the only possibility out there is for DirecTV to buy out the network. That last statement of hers made me kind of question everything else she told me because that doesn't seem very feasible.

As for the compensation for my troubles, they discounted the price of NHL CenterIce by $52.50, but I'm still SOL for Versus. I guess I'll be watching those 10 games at my parents house. The playoffs is really gonna suck though. I'll be at my folks house all the time.

Also, for those that are interested it looks at though the cost for CenterIce this year is going to be $163.80 (4 Payments of $40.95).

I just got off the horn with DirecTV and they told me there's no new news regarding the negotiations. She also said at this point it doesn't look like there will be a deal in place and the only possibility out there is for DirecTV to buy out the network. That last statement of hers made me kind of question everything else she told me because that doesn't seem very feasible.

As for the compensation for my troubles, they discounted the price of NHL CenterIce by $52.50, but I'm still SOL for Versus. I guess I'll be watching those 10 games at my parents house. The playoffs is really gonna suck though. I'll be at my folks house all the time.

Also, for those that are interested it looks at though the cost for CenterIce this year is going to be $163.80 (4 Payments of $40.95).

That's really s***ty news. I wish the worst of luck for both of these companies, if no deal gets done.

I know I've said this before in this thread, but does anyone else feel like the NHL doesn't really care that much about this?

They (meaning the NHL) probably do care - however this is more or less outta their control...That is unless the NHL buys VS from Comcast :lol:

Or DirecTV buys it.

Does the NHL offer streams of preseason games for purchase? My Center Ice doesn't start until the reg season.

esteef

Not that I'm aware of. I looked into it a couple years ago but nothing came from it. The FSD games can be viewed if you purchase the FSN package from DirecTV, but that's still only half the preseason games. The others that aren't picked up by FSN are still going to be unavailable.

Speaking of which, what I wouldn't give to watch them play Farjestads Bk Karlstad next Wednesday! I really wish NHL Network would pick up that game instead of the game Sunday against Pittsburgh. Atleast you'll get to watch that game, if you have NHL Network that is. Also, if you get CBC you should get the game on Friday against the Leafs.

That's really s***ty news. I wish the worst of luck for both of these companies, if no deal gets done.

I know I've said this before in this thread, but does anyone else feel like the NHL doesn't really care that much about this?

Exactly. The NHL doesn't give a s*** about their fans or the integrity of the game. They only want to make as much money as possible.

Why else would they play 2 Finals games back to back? Why would they put the games on a network that isn't universally available?

And my biggest pepeeve. Why can't I buy 1 game on Center Ice or why can't I pay to watch 1 game on the internet?

And for God's sake, why do they force teams to play ice hockey in the middle of the frickin desert?

Talk about a poorly run organization....

Exactly. The NHL doesn't give a s*** about their fans or the integrity of the game. They only want to make as much money as possible.

Why else would they play 2 Finals games back to back? Why would they put the games on a network that isn't universally available?

And my biggest pepeeve. Why can't I buy 1 game on Center Ice or why can't I pay to watch 1 game on the internet?

And for God's sake, why do they force teams to play ice hockey in the middle of the frickin desert?

Talk about a poorly run organization....

They're a business.....of course they're trying to make as much money as possible. What business doesn't?

You're right in saying "they don't give a s*** about their fans or the integrity of the game", but as a business why shouldn't their number one concern be financial?

The upshot-irony in all this is that Directv paid $4 billion to extend their exclusive contract for the NFL Sunday Ticket to 2014.

So their righteous indignation over what Comcast is demanding is enough to make one upchuck, if one were so inclined. The only thing right now that keeps us with Directv is the football package. And since spouse pays the bills, I guess we stay with Directv. :puke:

The upshot-irony in all this is that Directv paid $4 billion to extend their exclusive contract for the NFL Sunday Ticket to 2014.

So their righteous indignation over what Comcast is demanding is enough to make one upchuck, if one were so inclined. The only thing right now that keeps us with Directv is the football package. And since spouse pays the bills, I guess we stay with Directv. :puke:

That's because they'll make that $4 billion back and then some. It's not about how much it costs DirecTV to continue having Versus in their lineup, its whether they'll make the money back. With the rate Comcast/Versus is requesting, clearly they don't feel they will.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as pissed about this situation as anyone, but I also understand where DirecTV is coming from. Not that I'm happy about it, because its a major inconvenience for me and I'll be super pissed if a deal isn't resolved atleast before the playoffs.

That's because they'll make that $4 billion back and then some. It's not about how much it costs DirecTV to continue having Versus in their lineup, its whether they'll make the money back. With the rate Comcast/Versus is requesting, clearly they don't feel they will.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as pissed about this situation as anyone, but I also understand where DirecTV is coming from. Not that I'm happy about it, because its a major inconvenience for me and I'll be super pissed if a deal isn't resolved atleast before the playoffs.

Basically, we agree. It's a business. But as an individual (who doesn't pay the bills!) I would drop Directv in a heartbeat and move to Dish.

Meanwhile, and sadly, I don't see a deal being done because of the very reasons you've posted.

Basically, we agree. It's a business. But as an individual (who doesn't pay the bills!) I would drop Directv in a heartbeat and move to Dish.

Meanwhile, and sadly, I don't see a deal being done because of the very reasons you've posted.

So would I, unfortunately I still have one more year left on my contract with DirecTV. The real bummer is that I really loved DirecTV this past year until this massive hiccup came about. Next year, I'll likely be switching to Dish if Time Warner still isn't including the NHL Network, Versus in HD and CenterIce in HD. The fact that CI is in HD is huge for me. I also like having the extra NFL games that NFL Network offers.

They're a business.....of course they're trying to make as much money as possible. What business doesn't?

You're right in saying "they don't give a s*** about their fans or the integrity of the game", but as a business why shouldn't their number one concern be financial?

It's all connected in a way. If they don't care about the fans, they're going to lose money. This lockout resulted in the league losing a lot of fans and losing a TV deal with ESPN. That lost the league a lot of money and TV ratings. If the league cared about the fans enough, there wouldn't have been a lockout in the first place.

Losing customers is never good financially. Other sports leagues go out of their way to attract fans. The NHL does the opposite.

Same situation for me. I live with several people right now, and I'm sure they're not going to switch to DISH just because of hockey.

Besides, I actually like DirecTV over DISH. Hell, for all we know, the same thing may happen to DISH, as it once did already.

It's all connected in a way. If they don't care about the fans, they're going to lose money. This lockout resulted in the league losing a lot of fans and losing a TV deal with ESPN. That lost the league a lot of money and TV ratings. If the league cared about the fans enough, there wouldn't have been a lockout in the first place.

Losing customers is never good financially. Other sports leagues go out of their way to attract fans. The NHL does the opposite.

Same situation for me. I live with several people right now, and I'm sure they're not going to switch to DISH just because of hockey.

Besides, I actually like DirecTV over DISH. Hell, for all we know, the same thing may happen to DISH, as it once did already.

The league is doing better financially now than it was before the lockout. We can complain all we want about things we as true fans of the game and the NHL don't like but the bottom line is in fact the bottom line. The league isn't changing the game enough or pissing off the fans passed the breaking point for them to be losing financially. If they were, they'd change things. Losing ESPN hasn't been a major factor at all for the NHL. People here constantly bring that up, and while the NHL had better exposure with ESPN, they weren't generating the revenue they are now. Given that outcome, why should they care if they "lost" ESPN?

You can say its connected in a way and to a point you are correct, but the bottom line is that until the league percentage revenues stop increasing they're going to continue to operate this way, and as a business they're not in the wrong for doing it that way.

The league is doing better financially now than it was before the lockout. We can complain all we want about things we as true fans of the game and the NHL don't like but the bottom line is in fact the bottom line. The league isn't changing the game enough or pissing of the fans passed the breaking point for them to be losing financially. If they were, they'd change things. Losing ESPN hasn't been a major factor at all for the NHL. People here constantly bring that up, and while the NHL had better exposure with ESPN, they weren't generating the revenue they are now. Given that outcome, why should they care if they "lost" ESPN?

You can say its connected in a way, and to a point you are correct. But the bottom line is that until the league percentage revenues stop increasing they're going to continue to operate this way.

Say what you want, but I don't trust a league that went into a full-season lockout, to do things in the best interest of its fans. Sitting around for a year without hockey convinced me of that.

The league was losing revenue before the lockout, but the TV deal was much better and attracted more fans. The lost revenue had to do with other reasons. I don't know exactly how many fans will not watch hockey because of this DirecTV business, but I think it will be a signficant decline.

Perhaps when ratings drop even further than where they were (16 million DirecTV subscribers if I recall), a push might happen. Comcast asked for the big money, but I find it hard for Versus (Comcast) to go ask advertisers for a chunk of money when their first argument is, why are you raising my advertising costs when you just lost 16 million viewers? This will all play out, IMO, and a deal will get put in place before the playoffs.