• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

DirecTV dropping Versus network

Rate this topic

Say what you want, but I don't trust a league that went into a full-season lockout, to do things in the best interest of its fans. Sitting around for a year without hockey convinced me of that.

The league was losing revenue before the lockout, but the TV deal was much better and attracted more fans. The lost revenue had to do with other reasons. I don't know exactly how many fans will not watch hockey because of this DirecTV business, but I think it will be a signficant decline.

I don't understand why you used this in your argument, I've already stated to both you and Vladifan that I agree that the league doesn't care enough about its fans to make changes that the majority of us want to see. That's not the point of my posts.

Say what you want, but I don't trust a league that went into a full-season lockout, to do things in the best interest of its fans. Sitting around for a year without hockey convinced me of that.

The league was losing revenue before the lockout, but the TV deal was much better and attracted more fans. The lost revenue had to do with other reasons. I don't know exactly how many fans will not watch hockey because of this DirecTV business, but I think it will be a signficant decline.

The league was losing revenue due to a faulty CBA. The TV deal was not "much better" but it did attract more fans simply due to the fact that ESPN was more accessible. That doesn't mean that it was a better deal, because in fact it wasn't. ESPN treated the NHL like the bastard child it was within the Big 4. The games were getting pushed aside when they had the chance for better ratings with other programming so the NHL went out and made a deal with a network that would bend over backwards for them and pay them close enough to make it worth it.

Do you truly believe the loss of Versus network on DirecTV will be a significant decline in regards to the NHL? Most people don't even know what the hell Versus is, much less care about hockey. Will there be a decline: without a doubt. Will it be significant: No way.

I don't understand why you used this in your argument, I've already stated to both you and Vladifan that I agree that the league doesn't care enough about its fans to make changes that the majority of us want to see. That's not the point of my posts.

The league was losing revenue due to a faulty CBA. The TV deal was not "much better" but it did attract more fans simply due to the fact that ESPN was more accessible. That doesn't mean that it was a better deal, because in fact it wasn't. ESPN treated the NHL like the bastard child it was within the Big 4. The games were getting pushed aside when they had the chance for better ratings with other programming so the NHL went out and made a deal with a network that would bend over backwards for them and pay them close enough to make it worth it.

Do you truly believe the loss of Versus network on DirecTV will be a significant decline in regards to the NHL? Most people don't even know what the hell Versus is, much less care about hockey. Will there be a decline: without a doubt. Will it be significant: No way.

As far as how many people watch the games on Versus, yes.

As far as how many people watch the games on Versus, yes.

That's not what I was asking. What I meant was do you truly believe DirecTV losing Versus is going to be some massive hit for the NHL?

According to MadManMark, 16 million people subscribe to DirecTV, so lets take that number. There's a little more than 303 million people that live in the United States, so a little more than 95% of potential viewers won't have anything to do with this. Now, of the 16 million that subscribe to DirecTV, I guarantee no more than 2% of them care about hockey at all or even know what Versus network is. So, basically 320,000 households may be affected by this, and 50% of those households are likely indifferent. The NHL isn't going to bat an eye over losing 160,000 or so Versus viewers. That's my point.

Sidenote: I feel like Eva Unit Zero with this last post.

And my biggest pepeeve. Why can't I buy 1 game on Center Ice or why can't I pay to watch 1 game on the internet?

Speaking of which, what I wouldn't give to watch them play Farjestads Bk Karlstad next Wednesday! I really wish NHL Network would pick up that game instead of the game Sunday against Pittsburgh.

Exactly. All these pre-season games happening that people would gladly pay to see but the NHL does nothing to accomodate them. I mean, they sell tickets to these games right? Why not sell the ability to watch them from anywhere like the regular season? Another opportunity lost.

Ultimately, hockey is the NHL's product, but they seem to do a piss poor job of making it available to as many fans as possible even with newer technologies making it so much easier to do than before. They basically allow their product to be held hostage by people who don't care about the sport, and in the end the fans are the ones that lose.

That's what chaps MY hide!

esteef

That's not what I was asking. What I meant was do you truly believe DirecTV losing Versus is going to be the massive hit you seem to think it will be?

According to MadManMark, 16 million people subscribe to DirecTV, so lets take that number. There's a little more than 303 million people that live in the United States, so a little more than 95% of potential viewers won't have anything to do with this. Now, of the 16 million that subscribe to DirecTV, I guarantee no more than 2% of them care about hockey at all or even know what Versus network is. So, basically 320,000 households may be affected by this, and 50% of those households probably don't care. The NHL isn't going to bat an eye over losing 160,000 or so Versus viewers. That's my point.

Sidenote: I feel like Eva Unit Zero with this last post.

You should have made it in his trademark font.

The league has so few viewers, that it should be afraid of losing any of them. The goal is to gain more TV ratings and publicity, and not lose it. This is a bad step for a league trying to get back to a major network. It'll be even worse when the playoffs hit.

You should have made it in his trademark font.

The league has so few viewers, that it should be afraid of losing any of them. The goal is to gain more TV ratings and publicity, and not lose it. This is a bad step for a league trying to get back to a major network. It'll be even worse when the playoffs hit.

ESPN or any other major network won't care about 160,000 fans not being able to watch the Versus games because its such a blip on the radar. Basically, this just isn't a big deal for the NHL. That's the bottom line.

i just got off the phone with direcTV and he said they have no intentions to get versus back on. he said he thinks its done for good on direcTV. also he said he thinks that center ice will pick up some of the games that are on versus. i dunno how cuz of the contracts but that would be a plus since we have i think 9 games on there. all i got out of it for a discount was 5 dollars for three months. big wip. and he was an ass. might be time to switch :(

i just got off the phone with direcTV and he said they have no intentions to get versus back on. he said he thinks its done for good on direcTV. also he said he thinks that center ice will pick up some of the games that are on versus. i dunno how cuz of the contracts but that would be a plus since we have i think 9 games on there. all i got out of it for a discount was 5 dollars for three months. big wip. and he was an ass. might be time to switch :(

I can't believe you called someone in charge that was that pessimistic about it. Wait, was it me you called just now? :P

i just got off the phone with direcTV and he said they have no intentions to get versus back on. he said he thinks its done for good on direcTV. also he said he thinks that center ice will pick up some of the games that are on versus. i dunno how cuz of the contracts but that would be a plus since we have i think 9 games on there.

Center Ice doesn't carry games that are on Versus or NHL network.... Probably trying to keep you from dropping the Dish until you find out.

Guest Shoreline

Then here you go DirecTV:

thumb_middle_finger.jpg

You are certainly not getting my money for Center Ice when you are not supporting the NHL. Hockeystreams it is.

At this point, I'd be surprised if any deal gets done before the season starts.

It looks like the only hockey I'll watch this year is either on the NHL network, or through crappy online streams.

Can you get the sports pack? I just ordered on Dish and it's $5.95 a month and comes w/ all the FSN's (Pitt, Arizona, Boston, MSG x2, etc) and also comes w/ the NHL Network, NFL Redzone and some others that I'm not even sure about yet.

It's great because FSN tends to cover all the local sports teams. So if you could get it, you'd get FSN Detroit which would have the Pistons and Wings on there.

EDIT: Well now I just read that it'd probably be blacked out if the Pro Team is out of your area. But I am not so sure. I was watching the Boston game on one of the FSN Channels. hhmm.

Edited by rage

Can you get the sports pack? I just ordered on Dish and it's $5.95 a month and comes w/ all the FSN's (Pitt, Arizona, Boston, MSG x2, etc) and also comes w/ the NHL Network, NFL Redzone and some others that I'm not even sure about yet.

It's great because FSN tends to cover all the local sports teams. So if you could get it, you'd get FSN Detroit which would have the Pistons and Wings on there.

EDIT: Well now I just read that it'd probably be blacked out if the Pro Team is out of your area. But I am not so sure. I was watching the Boston game on one of the FSN Channels. hhmm.

For the NHL, you will only get games on your "home" Fox channel. In your case, if FSD is carrying it, you're good to go. If it's on FSW and not on NHLnet, FSD, etc, you're not going to see it.

I nearly switched to DirecTV so I could get Center Ice (WOW dropped it a couple years ago), but I decided against it because I'd lose the local CBC feed. Now, I'm even more convinced I should stay with what I've got.

The perfect answer is Comcast, but the apartment complex I live in has a deal with WOW and that's the only cable service available to me. No Versus in HD, but at least I get Versus.

For the NHL, you will only get games on your "home" Fox channel. In your case, if FSD is carrying it, you're good to go. If it's on FSW and not on NHLnet, FSD, etc, you're not going to see it.

Reminds me how good we had it w/ the VS and FTA.

Honestly, I haven't figured out what I'll do as of yet. There are several options, but either way I'll be pissed having to pay extra for something I was already getting. Kind of like a drug, when you think about it. I have to save my money, but I also need my hockey fix.

Guest Shoreline

Do NOT go with DirecTV sports pack. It will only work on NHL games for late night replays, some preseason games, and center ice free previews. It will black them out when regular center ice has them on, particularly if it's on a local feed or foreign regional/national channels like FSD, Comcast Sportsnet, Rogers, CBC, TSN, etc. The only way to get most Wings games via DTV without paying for the entire center ice (sans national broadcasts like NBC/NHL Network) package is to be in the local area that FSD serves.

Complained some more to DTV. They seemed to indicate they are still trying to solve the situation with comcast,but are not sure when a resolution will come. They have given me showtime and 50 bucks off Center Ice as a consolation...I still am livid about missing the Sweden games and playoffs....

Complained some more to DTV. They seemed to indicate they are still trying to solve the situation with comcast,but are not sure when a resolution will come. They have given me showtime and 50 bucks off Center Ice as a consolation...I still am livid about missing the Sweden games and playoffs....

Just got off of the phone with DirecTV. . . complained a bit more and ultimately received the $50 discount ($10 credit on my bill for the next 5 months) They also threw in 3 months of Showtime. The rep wanted to ONLY give me the Showtime, but I told her I didn't care about Showtime and that I am aware of others receiving discounts up to $50 on their Center Ice purchases. I finally got a supervisor who understood and, based on my longevity with DirecTV, authorized the credit.

I guess I'll catch the Sweden games at a local bar or on atdhe.net

Just got off of the phone with DirecTV. . . complained a bit more and ultimately received the $50 discount ($10 credit on my bill for the next 5 months) They also threw in 3 months of Showtime. The rep wanted to ONLY give me the Showtime, but I told her I didn't care about Showtime and that I am aware of others receiving discounts up to $50 on their Center Ice purchases. I finally got a supervisor who understood and, based on my longevity with DirecTV, authorized the credit.

I guess I'll catch the Sweden games at a local bar or on atdhe.net

:unsure:

A local bar in California that shows a hockey game being played in Sweden?

Good luck.

Good luck.

I know how unrealistic that sounds, but I'm sure I can convince them to turn on Versus. Good chicken wing place in OC I have gone to before usually puts on what I ask.

Good luck.

LOL.

Versus sucks. Comcast sucks. Versus hockey coverage sucks. NBC sucks. NBC's 6 iso cams of Sidney Crosby sucks.

FSD, hands down, has the best hockey coverage. I like the CBC coverage too, but I can't get them in HD.

LOL.

Versus sucks. Comcast sucks. Versus hockey coverage sucks. NBC sucks. NBC's 6 iso cams of Sidney Crosby sucks.

FSD, hands down, has the best hockey coverage. I like the CBC coverage too, but I can't get them in HD.

Yeah, that was completely ridiculous last year.